Ladies and gentleman, here is the greatest fighter aircraft of world war 2

Ladies and gentleman, here is the greatest fighter aircraft of world war 2...

Attached: 20190224_170757.jpg (678x381, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Kozhedub#List_of_aerial_victories
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

More dakka

Attached: Jugs.png (499x563, 595K)

most aesthetic, yes.

Greatest, ehhhh.

ugly desu

uncultured swine

Attached: P-38F-1-LO-Glacier-Girl-DF-SD-06-15108-1S.jpg (768x609, 575K)

*laughs in Russian*

Attached: la-5.jpg (1742x1054, 560K)

>is shit above 10k feet and has low range and payload.

F4u's shot down mig 15s bro.

*keeps laughing in the most productive allied pilot of WWII*

Attached: Ivan_Kozhedub_2.jpg (346x484, 34K)

>F4u's shot down mig 15s bro.
Exactly once with a lucky shot and then proceeded to get raped by MiG-15s.
>There were dogfights between F4Us and Soviet-built Yakovlev Yak-9 fighters early in the war, but when the enemy introduced the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15, the Corsair was outmatched. On 10 September 1952, a MiG-15 made the mistake of getting into a turning contest with a Corsair piloted by Marine pilot Captain Jesse G. Folmar, with Folmar shooting the MiG down with his four 20 mm cannon. In turn, four MiG-15s shot down Folmar minutes later; Folmar bailed out and was quickly rescued with little injury.[93]
And it dot nothing to do with WWII. Meanwhile, La-7 shot down Me 262.

Attached: la-5f.jpg (1920x1240, 344K)

found the war thunder shitter

Shooting down JU-87s in 1944/45 flown by 16 years isn't really an achievement isnt it?

The LA-5 was a real piece of shit, but it was decent at altitudes below 10k feet.

Did you know there was no automatic trim, pilots had to do everything manually? As in 66 different levers they had to fuck around with at all times to keep their plane at max potential, and the engine boost didn't work above 6k feet?

Hey guys, do I fit in?

Attached: f82.jpg (1200x782, 213K)

kek

No one had automatic trim at that time, and it wasn't a common feature in military aircraft until the 70s.

All the levers and shit are for controlling prop pitch, fuel mixture, radiator fairing position, etc... And yes, it was a bitch to have to operate these in the middle of combat, but the La-5 is not unique in this. Most aircraft of that era, excluding German planes, had identical control scheme set ups.

Most action on the Eastern Front took place at low altitudes, where the La-5 was quite effective. That and the plane wasn't as complicated to fly as people suggest with two sets radiators for the engine (though only one required regular adjustment), RPM, mixture, and throttle controls. Certainly more complicated than most German aircraft, but not the juggling act some make it out to be. Also considering Ju-87s operating during the last two years of the war flew mostly at night, at low altitudes its more difficult than it sounds to shoot them down.

In the summer of 1943, a brand-new La-5 made a forced landing on a German airfield, providing the Luftwaffe with an opportunity to test-fly the newest Soviet fighter. Test pilot Hans-Werner Lerche wrote a detailed report of his experience.[1] He particularly noted that the La-5FN excelled at altitudes below 3,000 m (9,843 ft) but suffered from short range and flight time of only 40 minutes at cruise engine power. All of the engine controls (throttle, mixture, propeller pitch, radiator and cowl flaps, and supercharger gearbox) had separate levers which forced the pilot to make constant adjustments during combat or risk suboptimal performance. For example, rapid acceleration required moving no less than six levers. In contrast, contemporary German aircraft with the BMW 801 used the Kommandogerät engine computer system that automatically controlled all of these settings from a single throttle lever. Due to airflow limitations, the engine boost system (Forsazh) could not be used above 2,000 m (6,562 ft). Stability in all axes was generally good. The authority of the ailerons was deemed exceptional but the rudder was insufficiently powerful at lower speeds. At speeds in excess of 600 km/h (370 mph), the forces on control surfaces became excessive. Horizontal turn time at 1,000 m (3,281 ft) and maximum engine power was 25 seconds.

>Most action on the Eastern Front took place at low altitudes

Neat, but we are talking about the best plane of WW2. The F4U was excellent at all FLs, had a very long range, huge payload and heavy armor and armament.

The LA-5 was built to take on low level CAS and anyone stupid enough to get into a turn fight with them. at low alts. A fighter that had issues flying above 15k feet and longer than 30minutes is not something that should be considered teh best fighter of WW2.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Kozhedub#List_of_aerial_victories
Stay mad.

Attached: la-5fn.jpg (2156x1575, 219K)

That's not the argument here buddy.

The idea that one can be "the best" is stupid, aircraft aren't all designed with the same goal in mind or the same conditions. The La-5 did what it was designed to do pretty damn well and helped get a collapsed air force back on its feet, the actual value of a design isn't just its performance. It would be like saying the Bf-109 was the most effective German fighter, despite the fact the Fw-190 was vastly more important to the war effort.

By the time the LA-5 went into production the luftwaffle was already broken. What are you talking about?

The Luftwaffe was far from broken in mid 1942.

If you go by this logic the P-39 was the best fighter of the war since it literally saved the Russian airforce.

Really couldn't have gone over your head any higher

For me, it's the Bf 109
>used from the first to the last day of the war

Attached: 1528464447070.jpg (1024x720, 65K)

The Luftwaffle was broken over the skies of great Britain during the battle of Britain. They never recovered. This is well known. When a german aircraft was shot down over england they lost the pilots, even if they lived.

Germany lost most of it's experienced and trained bomber crews as well as fighter pilots due to this.

Probably the most important fighter of the war.

the Luftwaffe was broken 1943-1944 by the USAAF, not by the RAF
the RAF didn't even dare to conduct daytime strategic bombing
the RAF succeeded in defending Britain from the Luftwaffe, it didn't destroy the Luftwaffe.

>Americans and Russians are fighting again

Attached: shinden.jpg (1280x849, 264K)

>Soviet
>allied
???

The Luftwaffe continued to operate fairly effectively until the latter half of 1943 when the proportion of experienced pilots dropped through the floor and they began to lag behind the US and UK in several fields. The idea that they "broke" after the BoB is laughable, they operated effectively for years after they withdrew from that fight, both on the Eastern Front and the skies of Europe until the second half of '43. Sure they were never at that peak again, but there's a huge difference between breaking and degrading.

My planefu is the P-38, but the Corsair is my second favorite

Good stuff.

Attached: 1466372917712.jpg (1036x743, 286K)

>A bitch to fly, build, and maintain

Dumkopf

Attached: FW190A5-39bf+s.jpg (1000x750, 71K)

Given how well it worked for the Russians, I wonder why it wasn't successful elsewhere

The FW-190 is my favorite Axis plane hands down

both formed the backbone of the Luftwaffe
Bf 109 with ~30k built (most produced fighter in history)
Fw 190 with ~20k

Attached: 1430978764472.jpg (1023x682, 65K)

*has the most ergonomic cockpit of the war*

Attached: fw190_pit.jpg (900x600, 122K)

The eastern front luftwaffle was mostly the bench warmers and older aircraft as all the best equipment and aces were defending germany from the US army aircorp.

The p-39 was fine for low altitude flights vs JU87s, HE-111s and newbies in 109s.

Right, but the Japanese had mostly old equipment, so I wonder why it wasn't reasonably successful in the Pacific

The zero.

Most of the legwork in the Pacific was done by naval aviation

That and the P-39 didn't have the legs for the pacific. Most of the fighters the russians deployed, and fucking still deploy, have max flight times under 40 minutes.

Didn't the Marines use them early on? At least on paper, aside from endurance, it doesn't seem that different from the Wildcat - which was generally regarded as a successful fighter.

I think so but quickly replaced as it's range wasn't good enough for the pacific. From what I read it was very effective.

Hello, fuckboys.

Attached: mossie.jpg (960x721, 107K)

That's exactly the argument.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II

Attached: la-7 (1).jpg (1050x503, 73K)

I thought they got their asses kicked at Guadalcanal, but that can be partially chalked up to inexperience and training

whatever floats your boat, or sinks it

Attached: 955cd435c4708d487903fe874d7d1e4f.jpg (236x188, 17K)

Those guns look too small. The Type 5 was huge.

Attached: seething.jpg (800x800, 195K)

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II
So are we gonna forget that Soviet joined force with Nazi to invaded Poland?

Attached: Spotkanie_Sojuszników.jpg (816x564, 245K)

Definitely my favourite plane of the war.

Not the best fighter, but she a THICC girl.

Attached: aircraft-military_00387429.jpg (1920x1080, 301K)

*requires a 3 mile runway*

Only one plane was more multi role, and that was only because it could also be a bomb

Attached: mistel.jpg (500x323, 42K)

No, unlike how natofaggot propaganda tries to wash the Munich Betrayal out of the history, Russians do portray this in their movies.

Attached: munich-agreement-large-400x250.jpg (400x250, 20K)

Hehe, those are some cute gull wings you got there, mind if I... do a better job?

Attached: FHCF6F-15_900x460.jpg (900x460, 59K)

>idly watching someone getting raped is the same as joining the rapists and actively sticking dick into the victim
Russian logic, ladies and gentlemen.
Its kind of funny how russians managed to completely displace the fact that they are the ones that allowed hitler to rise up in first place. It is pretty telling how rest of the world considers WWII to have started in 1939, but if you ask a russkie, he will answer
>The Great Patriotic War 1941- 1945
Have you ever wondered why is that? Becasue in 1939 and 1940 russia was hitler's ally and partner. 1939 war was equal partition of loot between partners, with russia taking as much clay as germany. Right until 1941 Russia provided germany with steel, oil and all kinds of resources krauts needed to wage their war. For fucks sake, almost all german high quality steel production (the stuff used to make thanks, y'know? ) was completely relying on chrome and mangane imported from russia - and thats not even mentioning the iron itself which was also delivered courtesy of uncle Stalin. And the food krauts were eating? Almost quarter of german food were provided by the soviet import.

Russkies have a lot of gall bragging how about they defeated germany, when they are like a dindu that raised his pet pibble as socipoathic retard and then hails himself a hero after he bravely fought him off when he tried to bite his head off.

>Takes 4 MiGs to shoot down a prop plane
>Not shit

>He thinks the La-5 is good in war thunder
I shit on it with 109s all the time. It's not even as good as the 190 in the same BR.

>implying that "peace of our time" and "appeasment" are not one of the best known and well analysed aspects of interwar history in the west . For fucks sake, chamberlain has been quoted, mocked and parodied more times than i can count.

Great plane, but not as good as the F4U.

We can all agree that to be even considered to be the best plane of WW2 you need to have been powered by the double wasp.

McGuire smiles down apawn you

Yeap

Attached: IMG_0671.jpg (640x299, 59K)

>the Soviets were known for telling the truth

>La-7 shot down Me 262
So did the Mustang.

>F4U

Attached: BANNNNNNNEEEEEE.png (446x449, 369K)

Why are quoting me with information that agrees with what I said?

There had already been significant animosity between them since at least the Spanish civil war. There was even more tension as they signed the peace treaty. Each party entered into it only because they thought they each had something to gain that could be used to eventually screw the other guy. The Germans won out in this. It was also Germany's way of saying, "We're not trying to start a war with you just yet, so have some of this pie with us as proof." This is because a complete German occupation of Poland could have sparked a more immediate Soviet response since they would have had no buffer territory.

The Soviets traded with Germany because they felt they had to, not with some vain hope of establishing a long term trade relationship.

The range was excellent, actually. It was just a bitch to land on carriers (especially earlier models) so the Marines got it before the Navy. In one of his few sober moments, Boyington admitted that the CAF would have been fucked without the F4U since it had literally twice the HP of the most powerful nip fighter in the battle.

>The Soviets traded with Germany because they felt they had to

They wanted a technology exchange, they didn't have to trade at all. Soviet oil kept Germany in the war in the early years.

>urge to BOUNCE rising...

>In one of his few sober moments, Boyington admitted that the CAF

Not to diminish what the aircraft did, but by the time F4Us got to Guadalcanal, the Japanese had already evacuated. The most pivotal fighting was done with P-400s (which I think is what the people you quoted were actually talking about) and F4Fs.

That’s not a Bearcat!

I'm a total sucker for the Hellcat

Attached: F6F.jpg (1152x864, 158K)

>wooooooow it took 4 of you to get me!

Nice digits

Lightnings would fly over my grandmas house in Burbank,CA during testing in WW2, her windows would sometimes fall out from the noise. She would call Lockheed and they'd send a crew over to replace them.

I fucking love the FG-1D

>80 replies
>no mention of spitfire

I know it's a cliche but c'mon

Attached: spitfire.jpg (1600x1067, 127K)

why you all ways lien

Attached: bf-110.jpg (1381x1905, 389K)

Gee Bill, TWO cockpits?

Attached: IMG_20190224_133538.jpg (1024x576, 88K)