Best Western Hunting Gun?

If you were in the west and had to buy a hunting rifle for killing deer or people, and it HAD to be western style and made before the 1950s, what exactly would you pick from the following:

>Winchester Model 1907,.351 Winchester Self-Loading
Close to .35 Remington, behaves like a heavier M1 carbine firing a heavier bullet at a faster speed.

>Remington Model 8 or 14, in .30 Remington
This is more or less just a rimless 30-30 in a box magazine or a special tubular magazine.

>Something else

Granted, this is after leaving out a Winchester in 45-70 Gov (and/or 45-60), along with a Winchester in .44 magnum.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (600x345, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_14
youtube.com/watch?v=cKXCu5oXgFY
youtube.com/watch?v=RfCY6g1gX8s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why would you leave out
>45-70 GOAT

Maxim gun

Model 70, .270

Because we are assuming you already own a rifle in .457WWG

>Model 70, .270
How does this compare to a Model 70 in .308?

>winchester model 1907
>Remington Model 8 or 14
>before 1950s
I don't know what the fuck your definition of "western" is, but it ain't the same as my definition of western.

Mauser in 8mm. Suitable but maybe not ideal for killing anything on any continent, up to and including elephant. Definitely good for anything in North America. You can handload it to .300 winmag energy. Honorable mention to Swedish Mauser for superior long-range characteristics and accuracy.

Model 70 in
hmmm
pre 1950....
hmmm

Those are all lever-actions, you're naming a bolt action chambered in ammo that isn't made on the same landmass, with a rifle not even made on the same landmass either.

.308 didn't exist in 1950.
MmmmmHmmm.

Again, like the other guy, why not in .308 or 30 Remington?

And? Sherriff's departments in the wild west were ordering Mauser pistols. The US army ordered a service rifle from Sweden (30-40 Krag), then licensed the production of the Mauser to make the 1903 Springfield.

it is the gun I would both want, and the gun I would buy.

1952, go with .220 Swift or .222 Remington, one is from 1950 and one is from before that.

Learn history 308 introduced in 1952, also 30 Remington a shit.
In 1950, 270 was the cat's ass.
>thirty caliber
>thirty caliber
Okay, be a pozzed ass california faggot and walk around Arizona with a 300 weatherly and a flinch as big as Texas.

>And? Sherriff's departments in the wild west were ordering Mauser pistols.
I looked it up, and I'll be damned.
>30 Reminton
>300 weatherly

So when people bring up .30 Carbine, do you instantly lose your shit and act like they said 300 weatherby as well?

>Thinks 30-30 is shit.
Are you a eurofag?

>If you were in the west and had to buy a hunting rifle for killing deer

any bolt- or lever-action fuddgun

>or people
Model 81 Special Police

Attached: remington model 8.jpg (1200x412, 37K)

Upgraded to the Model 8 it seems.
What does it fire? I'm having trouble looking that bit up.

>Those are all lever-actions
uhhh, no, not one of those guns is a lever action.
>winchester Model 1907
Semi-auto magazine fed rifle.
>Remington model 8
semi-auto magazine fed rifle. Not a lever action.
>Remington model 14
Pump action shotgun.

I now revise my answer to a Colt Monitor.

Attached: ColtMonitor.png (1710x432, 551K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_14

>Sees pump on a weapon
>Instantly thinks it's a shotgun
>Is too stupid to read
nice senpai

>made before the 1950s
So ideally a Spanish mauser in 7x57 but sourcing ammo in "the west" may prove a problem, so second choice would be a .257 Roberts chambered in a Model 70.

If people are more of a threat than the need to kill dinner then a Winchester model 65 in .218 Bee.
>5.56 before 5.56 was a thing: Small, light, low recoil, repeating rifle with a fairly well thought out factory bonded softpoint...in 1937

At least I know it's not a lever action.
Yeah, you're right

Savage 99 in the dirty thirty, like I have. For larger game, high wall in 45/fuckheug.

>Savage 99
What gives it a leg up over a Winchester, availability?

>Colt Monitor
only 125 were ever produced and only 8 were ever available to civilians. They also cost more than most houses of the era. So good luck with that.

Why not .270?

Box mag and being half the cost of an 1895.

>implying i wouldn't sell the family farm to buy one and become a highway bandit, dying a horrible death and leaving my descendants destitute

Anything in 7x57 Mauser

What about capacity or having trouble getting the magazine out?

Remington 81 has more rounds and looks very easy to use.

At the time the 7x57 had a better bullet selection, making it actually a GOOD choice for big game such as elk, bear, bison, etc. It's also chambered in an in-between action length (small ring mauser) so shorter bolt throw, has slightly lower recoil.

The .277" family of bullets has had a LOT of development done to it over the last ~60 years, largely driven by people wanting it to be able to truly perform on the really big game species of the West, and the .270 of today is a fuckload more capable than the .270 of 1950. I'd have no qualms at all shooting a grizz or bull elk with a modern 150gr bonded softpoint; I can't say the same for commercial loadings available prior to 1950.

M1 Garand.

I'm not actually the guy that wanted a 99 but...

The Remington 81 was an excellent rifle but still had some reliability problems endemic of all the early semi's. It's also not chambered in quite the same array or power of calibers, with .300 Savage being the top end of what it offered (compared to things like .30-06, .405win, etc in the 1895 or a huge array of small-fast or big-slow calibers in the 99 such as the .22 Savage HP, .250-3000, .38-55, etc).

I dunno. I'm going on personal preference here. I have a soft spot for 1895s and not much killed shit deader in the old West than .405 did. The 99 was a sweet rifle

Sounds like the Model 70, .270 is going on top of the pile.
This could also be chambered in .270 if one tried hard enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=cKXCu5oXgFY

Ehh, there is plenty of 1895s, no need to have one more. Looks like Savage 99 is likely second on the top of the pile.

My pre-1950s gun cabinet would be:

>Winchester Model 1890 .22lr for varmints
>Savage Model 99 .22 Savage High Power for fur bearers
>Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 for general use
>Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington for the woods
>Mauser 98 .375 H&H Magnum, a big boomer for the big boomer
>S&W Model 27 .357 Magnum just in case

10/10 enjoyed thinking this up a lot and am now depressed because it's never going to be this way again

Attached: 1550666800313.jpg (369x369, 26K)

If I ever hunt west of the Mississippi I will be using a Hawken rifle .54 caliber.

Attached: 1702-HAWKEN-04.jpg (3600x1200, 1.43M)

Model 8/81 and Savage 99 are tied.
Why .35 Remington?

You can get every one of those if you want. It'll just take some time.

Because I want my grandkids to be able to buy ammo for it one day.
That aside I am a firm believer in "Big bullet>Small bullet" and would most likely have been impressed by that ad with the bear.

Attached: 51W1i3EBDYL.jpg (344x500, 58K)

You're not factoring handloading? You think .35 Remington is better then .30 Remington?

I'm not a handloader (at least not yet) and I generally like being able to go to the store and picking up a box.
That said, .30 Remington would seem pretty appealing. I don't think I would have chosen it, though, since I'd already have a .30-06 as a .30 caliber.
For a dedicated woods gun I am willing to sacrifice ballistic advantage for bullet diameter and a few ft/lbs.

Peace Officer Equipment made detachable mags for the Model 8 and Remington make it a factory model during the run of the Model 81. I just posted a representative image.

You could probably get them chambered in any of the Model 8's cartridge offerings, but I suspect most were in .35 Remington.

Well, the savage isn't as capable of really laying down the lead, so this is the most interesting choice in my opinion.

Nothing but the best user.

Attached: Whatbuffalo.jpg (1280x720, 151K)

?

1874 sharps in 45-70

youtube.com/watch?v=RfCY6g1gX8s

Take em out at 1000 yards.

No.
Thirty carbine and .300 Weatherly are balistically about as far apart as you can get and in 1950 you could buy .30 carbine in any gas station, hardware store or tavern.

No euro. Owned a model 94, so I know better than trying to dope .30-30 beyond 100 yards.

Not some lever action?

Too bad it jams every single magazine.

Why does 30-30 even still exist if it's never been chambered in a revolver, .30 Remington makes a lot more sense.

Model 14 or savage 99

They point well and both reek of a long lost elegance that modern rifles just can't touch.

Marlin Model 336 is better then the Savage, and it takes both .35 Rem and 30-30.

That and the 30 carbine's abysmal ballistics are why it's noy even a consideration.
The only viable 30 caliber for a 1950s working gun, west version, is .30-'06, or maybe, in a pinch .303.
I like 7x57, having owned a monte carlo, cut bolt, short bbl model 98, but still default to .270. Flat shooting, widly available, good out to 300 for anything short of dangerous game.

If it was .22 Spitfire, it's pretty solid for coyotes, but again, magazines are terrible and the gun is designed to not work right.

More votes for the 98 in .270 it seems.

Winchester Model 1892 (or Rossi clone) in .357 mag. A lever action carbine is great for deer hunting.

just get a lever action in .30-30

Savage in 300 savage all day

Semi-related question. If I want to learn how to hunt should I start with hunting varmint with a .22?

Savage 99 in 308 win

Mosin

Very nice

Mosin? Cheap Savage rifle in .270 or something you can shoot. If you can only shoot with 25-45 Sharps or whatever the fuck it's called, do it.

This is the only right answer.
.270 is faster at 200 yards than .308 is at the muzzle.

Sounds like a really good cartridge to throw out of a scoped rifle.

Yes. .270 Winchester is probably the ideal hunting cartridge. It has a good balance of accuracy, trajectory, stopping power, moderate recoil, bullet selection, ease of reloading, magazine capacity, and commercial availability.

>Having trouble getting the magazine out
Winchester 95, Savage 99, or Remington 81 having detachable mags. No.

Model 94 in 30-30. All of the old guys I shoot with own and occasionally still hunt with their 94s.

Read Jack O'Connor's work.

Thems fighting words.

Attached: 220px-Elmer_Keith.jpg (220x275, 17K)

Lol. I read a story about how they were talking in a hotel lobby and everyone thought they were arguing. As the often "got into it" being from different schools of thought. But on the occasion at hand they were just two deaf men having a conversation.

nice ak47

>If you were in the west and had to buy a hunting rifle for killing deer or people, and it HAD to be western style and made before the 1950s
>from the following or something else

Marlin 1895 was first produced in 1948. If I HAD to pick a rifle for people AND deer AND that fit a western aesthetic, it'd be a straight stock Marlin in 45-70. I don't quite trust 45LC to do a competent job on both targets, especially at range.

>two deaf men having a conversation
Hahaha...
I suppose you know how bad it really is.

No M1 garand?

Remington model 8 if in the American west, 1886 carbine in 45-70 for Yukon territory adventures. Either a Model 10 or a New Service as sidearm

Sporterized Enfield

Attached: wm_9495915[1].jpg (2567x1711, 319K)

>>Remington Model 8 or 14, in .30 Remington
go with the 30-30 son