Why do people hoard lowers? Aren't lowers really easy to make and they never really wear out...

why do people hoard lowers? Aren't lowers really easy to make and they never really wear out. If you are going to hoard anything, wouldnt it make more sense to hoard uppers? Uppers wear out, are much more difficult tooling heck even massive factories to make.

Attached: APAR501102A_00.jpg (2200x1466, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-stripped-lower-receiver-anodized-black
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The whole point is that lowers require FFL transfer. I can just buy an upper whenever I want and have it shipped straight to my home.

Lowers will be banned first

The hoarding of lowers isn't to prepare for SHTF, it's to prepare for the possibility of them being banned. The lower has the serial number and is the 'firearm' when talking about AR15's. Everything else to build it is unregulated and easily obtainable.

If a state passes an assault weapons ban, you'll be prohibited from purchasing any more ARs but you'll (usually) be allowed to keep whatever you currently have in your possession (grandfathering). If you have a bunch of lowers, you can use them over time to make full rifles since they're technically grandfathered. Uppers are not important in this scenario, they're not serialized parts and therefore are not firearms.

i dont get it, if lowers get banned woulnt uppers be banned too?

No. Uppers are not firearms. They don't have a serial #.

I mean, I guess some new law could try to ban uppers but I don't think it's been done before. Even in states like California that are very strict on ARs there is no prohibition on buying upper receivers. You have to remember that people who write gun laws don't really know all that much about guns. Plus trying to ban uppers would be a nightmare and would be unenforceable as they're not serialized parts.

We'll get there eventually

Lower is "the gun" as far as the law is concerned the rest is just parts.

>you'll (usually) be allowed to keep whatever you currently have in your possession (grandfathering)
For a few years, until they tighten the screws. This is the way it always goes. There are no examples of gun grabbers being happy.

Oh I know. Gungrabbers will use grandfathering at first but the end goal is still disarmarmament via a mandatory buyback like is the law in California with high cap mags where legally purchased mags over 10 rounds are now legal to even possess even if you owned them prior to the ban. Buy lowers cheap, stack 'em deep, and fuck turn-ins. Mandatory or not, they're not getting my shit.

>California with high cap mags where legally purchased mags over 10 rounds are now ILLEGAL to even possess

but you get the point

The lower is the gun. Under current laws an upper is just parts. No different legally than an Allen screw or a scope mount.

I suppose that could change but it's not likely. It would require a fundamental change to the way firearms are classified.

>Aren't lowers really easy to make
Nope.

shhhhhhhh, you'll disturb the crazy.

Realistically? You're right. The lower being the "gun" works for the purposes of gun owners in the US only as long as the harder to manufacture parts (barrel and chamber esp) are readily bought off the shelf. Having 2 dozen lowers and 2 uppers doesn't put you ahead if something drastic happens to gun laws. And in Europe they're already there, as the the gun law advocates are constantly trying to learn from Europe, it will be a matter of time. But it makes some people feel all wonderfully countercultural. You can't reach those people. Don't bother trying.

I don't own any ARs.

I think it is safe to be able to start talking about the fact that the left is going to put uppers in the same lot as lowers, in fact bills already introduced in congress already attempt this... I am not saying to hoard uppers *yet* but I will want a good bare upper for every lower I own eventually, what does a good upper go for?

Yes. Barrels and bolts, too.

Everyone who doesn't think so is naive

Hoard completed rifles, not lowers

I don't think people who are hoarding lowers are doing it because they would rather have a lower than a complete gun, dumbass. It's easy for the average joe to afford to hoard 10 $50 stripped lowers, but not 10 $800 guns.

Hijacking thread for question: I'd like to build an AR at some point, but I'm low on cash. Anyone have recommendations for a good all around lower for $50-100. I know they're fairly simple, but there's a huge number of options and I'm a bit lost. And please tell me if I need to be more specific.

Anderson

Aero. Do not fall for the Anderson meme, aero is a mile ahead and only a few bucks more.

Just get a $40 anderson. All you'll get out of spending 2-3x more is tighter tolerances and a nicer finish. Lowers are extremely simple, as long as everything fits the way it should (i.e. no loose pins) it's fine.

Thanks for the recommendations. I assume I'll have to ship and FFL either? Or do they carry them in the big box stores?

They'll try to go after upper receivers eventually. We're probably okay in the short term (Next 5 years or so), but after the next 10 years they'll try to regulate upper receivers somehow.

Can confirm. Aero Precision, while costing just slightly more than Anderson, is objectively superior to Anderson. Anderson is only good if you're on a strict budget and you want to bulk buy a fuck-ton of lowers. I've considered bulk buying some Anderson lowers for the fuck of it.

Attached: Chelsea_1.jpg (3159x3024, 2.61M)

Look at states like WA that are getting new shit laws. After June, lowers are going to require a lot of extra bullshit and signing away your rights to buy but uppers are unaffected. Once this law goes into effect then people would be wise to start completing the weapons they have before anything else passes but for now the pressure is mostly on lowers.

You're going to have to shop around, find a company that has a discount code or something, find the company with the cheapest shipping, figure out what it's going to cost you all in all. Then ask your local FFLs what their transfer fee is and how much a stripped lower is there. A stripped lower will probably be $80 at the cheapest at your local FFL, the shipping and transfer fee might make your $40 anderson or $50 aero cost $80, in which case you just get what your local FFL carries locally for $80.

>is objectively superior to Anderson
Care to elaborate on this? Are you speaking from experiences or just parroting something you read or heard on youtube? I'm genuinely curious because I want to build an AR but am on a budget.

Thanks.

Attached: Sam.jpg (533x720, 54K)

Not him but I built my A2 on an Anderson lower and its garbage. The finish isn't great, the lower came covered in grit and metal chips, the rear takedown pin cannot be budget without a hammer and a punch. My second lower was a basic bitch Aero and the quality of fit and finish is superb compared to Anderson.

Speaking from experience. My AR-10 build is mostly Aero Precision parts and it's been functioning flawlessly. My friend has a bunch of Anderson builds. As long as Anderson lowers are cut properly, they'll work. However, I have heard of rare accounts where an Anderson lower's mag-well wasn't cut properly and as a result would not properly accept magazines at all. You'll be fine with either, just know there's probably a slight chance that an Anderson lower might be a lemon. Also, the Aero lowers have a few nice features compared with the Anderson such as a slightly flared magazine well, a threaded bolt catch, and an integrated, extended trigger guard.

Attached: Chelsea_2.jpg (3314x3024, 3.43M)

That's interesting. I've built 2 ARs with Anderson lowers now and didn't have a single issue with either. Finish is even but thin. The thin finish is really my only observation about it when I compare it to my LWRC complete lower.

I'm thinking I'll go with the Aero, since it will (probably) be the only AR I'll build for a very long time. Are the differences in generations and such mostly aesthetic? I like the look of this one aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-stripped-lower-receiver-anodized-black

That's exactly what I have for my AR-15 build. You'll be happy with it.

Attached: Chelsea_3.jpg (3892x2563, 3.7M)

>a slightly flared magazine well, a threaded bolt catch, and an integrated, extended trigger guard.
That is nice. Makes sense, I'd go with an Aero over an Anderson for those features. I got a stock of andersons because they were in stock and cheap. Would probably go with Aero for a future build for the trigger guard and mag well alone. I have tools for the roll pins so I don't care either way about the bolt catch.

Ar lowers in Oklahoma are considered weapon cause serialized. So a few assholes around here hoard them in case they need to build an AR that no one knows about. Pretty fucking dumb imo

It's the same everywhere else in the US

Thanks, anons. I'm going to shop around for one now.