Burgundy bluing on guns?

I have a gun from IMI which has the same exact finish as this deagle.
It's not the titanium nitride finish which is far more pink so where does this burgundy shade come from?
Is it a standard colour because i've never seen it before is it maybe a mistake in the bluing process?

Attached: pinkgun.png (1011x691, 1.28M)

Probably just how the bluing was done. My brother has a Star pistol that has bluing that looks exactly the same. Almost a plum color. Maybe it wasn't always that way and just changed with time.

Attached: Desert Eagle and Seecamp.jpg (2192x1390, 1.36M)

Plum bluing is sometimes a result of miscalibrated chemicals used in the finish. Lots of P7M8s turned purple after several years, almost all the NJ statie polsurp guns are like this

Attached: plumP7.jpg (798x616, 137K)

Here's a particularly "burgundy" example of a P7M8. They didn't start out like this and the metal "oxidized" (I don't know if this is the exact process) over time

Attached: Very Plum.jpg (1024x680, 454K)

I have a blued Pre-B CZ-75 which also presents some faint purpleish hue in a certain light
It's actually really pretty, but I'm not sure if it is factory bluiing or a really good second hand job (since all the markings and internals are pristine and in the same shade)

I dunno about a "mistake" in the process, but I've seen many older blued firearms that have a purple or strong blue tinge to them. There are many different bluing processes with a ton of variables: temperature, time, humidity in the bluing area, which bluing process was used, the age/purity/freshness of the chemicals involved, etc.

>oxidization
yes, that is correct. Bluing itself is really just a method of growing rust on the part and then converting that (Fe2O3) into Fe3O4.

Is it a mistake or just something that happens with older methods. I see a lot of HKs with that purple hue. Even until recently you'd still see USP extractor turn purple. Here's my purple VP70.

Attached: 1.jpg (3264x1836, 3.42M)

with HKs I've read on forums that it was a mistake, or at least unintended- that the exact ratio of chemicals used in the blueing process was off. Not all of them do this. I have a P7 that is far older than those P7M8 examples and it is still has the original finish

There isn't anything "wrong" with turning plum, it's just cosmetic

Depends on what you mean by "mistake" really. I would argue that as long as the bluing looks decent and it stops the gun rusting then its done its job. Most guns were not designed to maintain a given appearance decades after they were made.

Any blued gun can be expected to change color as time passes. Look at antiques in museums or collector shops.

OP here
Good to know it is not just me who has a plum gun, btw yeah plum is probably the best way to describe the colour, i'll post a picture of my gun as soon as i get home
Btw mine is the same as the p7 you showed

It's extremely common. You can even buy "plum" colored cold blue for touching up an older finish which has turned plum color

It's a mess up during the blueing process. Typically temp. I believe brown is from too low, whereas purple is from too high. Some guns are more prone than others. I think it looks great on your desert eagle

Attached: Reprowmk.jpg (4032x1960, 2.02M)

The AES west German bayonets made for the issued Israeli Galils were burgundy as well. I've seen it to a lesser degree on numerous machined parts

Can the process used to make plum bluing be used to make new plum ak and ar mags?

This. Also this plum-blue can actually look kinda pretty, while still doing its job to protect the gun.

Only if you want them to be steel.

That’s hot

Attached: 1482786383948.jpg (4669x2977, 3.63M)

I've seen it on a few older Ruger guns. Once even found a no. 1 with a plum receiver at the local gunshow

Attached: DSC00351.jpg (800x600, 268K)

What's it called when Desert Eagles don't have the pic rail on the top? I like the looks of that better, but all I can find on GB and other sites are railed ones.

Attached: image0-36.jpg (351x462, 17K)

Look for an old Mark I or Mark VII Desert Eagle. The newer Mark XIX all have the rail.

thanks