Training with a shotgun?

Been looking into getting a really nice tactical 3gun setup and becoming proficient with it.

What are some basic fundamentals for using a combat shotgun and how do you practice them?

Inb4 “home defense shotguns are memes” because that’s not what I’m asking.

Attached: 1046ACE9-E607-4DEC-85CC-1C948B79834D.jpg (648x432, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n5CBi-hbR_s
blog.suarezinternational.com/2018/08/riot-guns.html
blog.suarezinternational.com/2018/03/what-is-a-shotgun-for.html
progunfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PGF-drill-book-Sept-2015.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=fS1_nmSMGy0
youtube.com/watch?v=imY0FT4ZtBc
youtube.com/watch?v=w0uoLNB-pTo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What are some basic fundamentals for using a combat shotgun
One is the concept of constantly keeping the gun topped off. If you're not firing you should be loading shells. This helps negate the capacity disadvantages of a shotgun. Another is the concept of slug change over, the idea is to switch from the buckshot in your chamber/tube while also retaining as much buckshot as possible, on an 870 it would look like this
youtube.com/watch?v=n5CBi-hbR_s
also practice shooting out to 200+ yards with slugs

What's the point of a shotgun?

Seriously, besides legal restrictions, breaching, hunting fowl, and specialty rounds (e.g. salt)?

blog.suarezinternational.com/2018/08/riot-guns.html

blog.suarezinternational.com/2018/03/what-is-a-shotgun-for.html

Attached: consider.jpg (1280x720, 207K)

Is there a reason you don't see more magazine-fed shotguns in 3-gun shoots? Are they too heavy to move with, or are they just not allowed in competitions?

I’m literally just doing this for shits and giggles. If the planets align or the happening happens I want to be able to scrape guys off of the walls or empty a trench or whatever.

Idk I’m not doing this for competition, just doing it to git gud

Perforating an individual in one shot rather than 30. Though it's better to have 31 shots than 9

Shotguns are for breaching and quadcopters, although tbf they were originally for killing ducks.

Carbines and machine guns are for killing people.

Rock salt is a waste of time. It doesn't penetrate a jean jacket at 50 yards. But 20-10 guage shotgun shells has a diversity of cartridge options. You could effectively hunt birds of all sizes and mammals of all sizes.

Mag fed shotguns are definitely becoming more popular.

>I’m not doing this for competition, just doing it to git gud
If you're doing 3-Gun specifically to be good outside of a shooting competition (i.e. a 2-way range) you'll have to be careful not to pick up bad habits.

Pic related, for example, is how shotgun reloads are usually done in competitive shooting: weapon inverted, staring down into the loading port. It's fast, but you lose all situational awareness. In a sport setting, this is fine since nobody is shooting back at you. In a self-defense situation, it should be obvious why this is a terrible habit.

Look at the Magpul video here Notice how the gun is kept high, where you can see what's happening around you and quickly return to action. This is a much better technique if you want to fight with your shotgun.

Attached: 3gun_reload.jpg (1280x720, 141K)

Already been considering that. In fact one thing I wanted to focus on was not reloading like that

Attached: cooper.jpg (500x375, 27K)

Anyone know of any just basic shotgun shooting drills?

Like not even combat shit, just something on par with like a table 1 USMC shoot

Separate Division. Also apparently it's a bitch to get them to run reliably.

No, but there is PDF of rifle/pistol drills here:
progunfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PGF-drill-book-Sept-2015.pdf

I'm sure you can adapt a few of those. Off the top of my head, the important things are probably weapon handling/manipulations (familiarity with controls, reloading, transitioning between primary and secondary shoulder, etc.), keeping the magazine topped off, transitioning between different targets at different ranges, shooting and moving, and shooting at moving targets.

I know you didn't specifically ask for "combat" drills, but that's what I have for you.

Surprisingly, I think Lucky Gunner has some decent videos on the shotgun.

Recoil mitigation:
youtube.com/watch?v=fS1_nmSMGy0

Reloading:
youtube.com/watch?v=imY0FT4ZtBc
Personally I prefer to load over the top of the receiver, but whatever. Try them both and see which you like.

Basic shooting drills:
youtube.com/watch?v=w0uoLNB-pTo

Really I’m looking for a combination, I’m alternatin between rifle, pistol, shotgun. Starting with sighting in each one, then basic marksmanship, then gradually making it more complex as I go so anything helps. As I’m planning this out I’m actually running out of ideas for shotgun beyond reloading and shooting on the move

Got linked up here, but there was a Reddit (don't shoot me) AMA about a door kicker in Iraq. It was about robotic knowledge of reloading and being purely aggressive and being know how to read a room and identify targets. That's the bread and butter, but the frosting on top was about bouncing shots under furniture and knowing how many pellets to put on target which leads to shooting downed enemies and moving on.

But to reiterate, reload and reload and reload and take the room and the next room as fast as you can.

How do you work on putting certain pellets on target

Did you not read the first/last part? It was getting the hang of room clearing and instinctively knowing if the shot was enough to incapacitate.

Not him but I'm also confused.
>knowing how many pellets to put on target
This sounds like the doorkicker knew his pattern and could put fewer pellets into the target if he wanted to incapacitate, but not kill the target.

What I don't know is why you'd do that. Skipping buckshot to hit your target in the knees is one thing, but I find it difficult to believe you'd intentionally wound an enemy just so you can expend a second round finishing him off.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what is saying?

But how do you practice knowing what will and won’t incapacitate?