Y isn’t there a 400 Rowland?

Y isn’t there a 400 Rowland?
Take a 400 CorBon and load it to Rowland Pressure.
10mm fags would be eternally BTFO.
Sure, it would need a huge comp and heavy spring, but I’m sure and gun that is set up for 460 Rowland could handle it.

Attached: D7A6C273-DE58-4065-9B9C-5E8402218299.jpg (400x438, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

underwoodammo.com/products/357-sig-65-grain-xtreme-defender
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Damn, that's a good idea. Get on your reloading bench and make a few wildcats.

I’m contemplating
I already use regular 45ACP brass to load “45 Rowland” in.

Once you have enough energy to get through some reasonable barriers and still get the vitals why would you need any more? Excessive KE doesn’t make better wounds, but extra velocity would. You need to make a handgun bullet with lots of energy but even more velocity.

I assume because .45 ACP isn't strong enough. .45 acp is low pressure so the brass might not be thick enough.

Taking .45 SMC brass, necking that down to .400 corbon might work though.
Though tbqh I'd love to neck a .45 SMC down to 6.5, .270 or .30 cal. It'd be fun, the .22 TCM's big brother of sorts

It might but is 45 smc the same quality as 45 super brass? Or is just a smaller primer?

Iirc thicker brass and smaller primer is the defining trait of .45 SMC

Well 45 super is a bit thicker at the base but mainly it’s a higher quality heat treat. It’s harder than regular 45 acp. If the same is true for smc then it would work.

If you make progress do post about it. I like the idea of 400 corbon but have not acted on it since I can barely afford to shoot as it is. Always seemed like a shame that no one was interested in a bottleneck .45 cartridge.

I’m not op though I am interested too. I’d only get one if it was just a conversion barrel and if I could reload a couple thousand rounds fairly cheaply.

Better question, 400 Corbon is better than a 45 ACP in nearly every way with minimal difference in recoil, and was designed to be as easy as possible to manufacture...
...why isn't it more popular?

It would likely need to either be comped or a significantly stouter recoil spring, although with the lighter bullet probably not both. A comp would be ideal if you can stomach the extra length and muzzle blast, it should have enough gas volume to really make a difference. But a conversion barrel with comp should be doable with no further modification to a .45acp gun.

>400 corbon is better than 45 acp in nearly every way
so is 10mm
>why isnt it more popular
10mm performance with less capacity

Because it's nearly ballistically identical to a really hot .40smith but has less capacity.
>100fps difference between standard pressure 165gr .40S&W and 165gr .400corbon from a 5" barrel, 85fps difference from a 3.5" barrel.
In fact, there are now some .40smith loads that exactly match it due to advancements in powder (although like usual handloaders can do even better with both).

So basically the same reasons .40 Super and .41AE never caught on.

actually, sub 10mm performance. my 200 grain 10mm @ 1250fps vs 400 corbon 165gr @ 1300 fps

Neck it to .30 caliber and you'd have M1 carbine power in the palm of your hand.

Who fucking gives a shit? This isn't about MUH OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE, it's about the fun of creation and experimentation. If you can't understand that then you need to get a life.

Use 460 brass

Just shoot 357sig
underwoodammo.com/products/357-sig-65-grain-xtreme-defender

Attached: underwood_.357_sig_65gr_XD_various_barrel_lengths.jpg (800x600, 86K)

Oh hey it’s that user that posts the fake charts.

Just make a handgun that fires .458 socom and be a man about it.

I think you mean
mm performance without buying yet another handgun
Tbh man I don't want to keep buying handguns and rifles. Maybe it's just me but I don't want a bunch of safe queens. I like swappable calibers and 10mm performance out of my .45 would be neat. Main reason I never started doing .400 corbon is because it is relatively anemic compared to 10mm, but if we found a way to make it hot enough to be 10mm's peer I think it would have a niche. Some of us still enjoy fuddyfive aarp, but it'd be nice to swap a spring and a barrel and have a flat shooting

That's a really good idea. OP, listen to this guy.

Yea, flat shooting light recoiling hard hitting.. and in the 1911 it would be pretty damn accurate too.

As one user mentioned if we were to use .460 rowland brass we could eliminate the need to keep the round low pressure.

I like this thread.

The issue with going for these high pressure cartridges is they beat up on guns. See 9x25 Dillon, competition shooters liked them for hitting major power factor and then could feed the comp to allow reduced muzzle flip. They were needing to replace parts on a much more regular basis than with more traditional rounds. But I guess the point of this is more a performance hunting/ defense (hopefully not people) caliber than a race gun.

It *really* gives you nothing over 10mm except moderately comparable performance at lower pressure, at the cost of reduced mag capacity and boutique brass.
Now, if it was hotrodded to 10MM chamber pressures, you would have some type of a 40 magnum that would be a hoot with just reformed 45 Brass (yes, I regularly load regular 45ACP brass to 460R pressures) , a comp’d barrel and a heavy recoil spring.

Unfortunately, that kind of hot-rodding is and will remain reloader-only, because there's just too many tards with dremels out there who will happily "improve" 1911 barrels at the cost of chamber support.
No company would take the risk of introducing a 35k+ cartridge based on thin .45 ACP brass. Thicker-walled brass isn't necessary with a fully supported chamber, but it provides a safety margin against these dumbasses.

You know, I do believe those charts are genuine. Why?
>I'm only gonna chrono two rounds per gun, statistics be damned, because I'm too cheap to buy a second box of this $1.50/rd ammo
See, that has the ring of truth -- if he was making this up, it'd surely show 5- or 10-round samples per gun.