Beginner AR

Just turned 18, in the market for a new AR.
Need advice for where to start looking.
Also need advice for what specifications to look for.

Attached: C047D921-E21B-4675-9E87-5AF18C07A3D7.png (612x408, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/12/daniel-zimmerman/new-jersey-has-no-idea-how-to-enforce-its-10-round-magazine-limit-law/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Check out Palmetto State Armory. Good time to turn 18 AR prices are lowest they've ever been because of market saturation

There's a general for this. What's your budget?

M&P 15

DO NOT GO TO /arg/
Why the fuck would you suggest somebody go to that shithole containment.
>go snort some asbestos op itll get your lungs real clean.

You have to be 21 to own an AR. You should get a Remington 870 Express first.

I was thinking 1000-2000, but if it’s too low for a quality rifle then feel free to say so

Dont bother with an AR. Just buy a scar now, you'll be grateful that you didnt waste your money on an inferior rifle first. I got mine last year and havent looked back, no need to mess around with accessories and parts and shit because its perfect from the factory.

Is that true? I live in a semi cucked state hut I’ve never heard that law/rule

Lol what shit state is that?

Don’t fall for the $2,000 price meme, but also don’t fall for the $400 price meme. The barrel, trigger, and eventually an optic are where you don’t want to cheep out on. Building a gun isn’t hard, but it does require a decent work space and some mechanical know how. If you choose to go that route it’s hard to go back to buying a complete rifle. Welcome to the club and have fun!

Thats a good number to start on, bcm is a good place to start. Youll never build the perfect rifle until you have some experience so get a fairly basic gun (freefloat handguard its 2019) and enjoy it then go spec out some custom space gat later on.

My mechanical know how is limited to being a prospective mech eng. I also don’t have the machines necessary to do much, considering I use my schools machine shop normally

Depends on the state. Check your state's laws. More likely than not you only have to be 18 unless you live in a cucked state of Florida.

Spend half of that on a top tier optic. A low power variable optic is a good all around but an Aimpoint, ACOG or Eotech are great too.

$1000 builds a great AR. Ypu should consider building instead of buying unless you just happen to find exactly what you want off the shelf.

Get a 16 inch barrel, CHF and chrome lined if you feeling Gucci. Get a pencil contour barrel, everything else is wasted weight IMHO. Get a low profile steel gas block and a free float handguard with "ears" that go on either side of the upper receiver. Get a light and a sling.

You should be fine. And by decent work space I meant a good bench with a vice. Get some brass punches and a rubber,plastic mallet. All the instructional videos got moved from youtube to full30 I believe.

My first ar was a LWRC Di. Not bad desu. I love mine

>don’t have the machines necessary to do much
You don't need machines to assemble an AR. You need a vice, a hammer, some punches (all regular stuff you should have lying around anyways), an armorer's wrench (can be had for $50 to $100 for the ones that are actually worth buying. Consider a Magpul), and, though not 100% necessary, a power drill with some good bits would help for making sure the gas block really stays onto the barrel. I have virtually 0 mechanical aptitude but I was able to put my AR together. It's often said that AR15 are like adult legos because they're so easy to assemble and you get to choose all the parts.

Lucky me, I bought one earlier this year

Windham Weaponry anything, avoid any carbon fiber ar15s like the plague.
This also works too.

The "AR is solved" thing is kinda true though.

Op here,
For clarification I live in NJ incase anyone here new a specific regulation that might cuck me.

PSA 16"

user.... you cucked as fuck, famalam. You cant even have a standard magazine anymore.

Are you sure? I’ve seen people who own standard mags all the time at the range.

If you want to spend top tier hooker money, sure. The "solved AR" is not for babby's first.
Get something basic first so you can appreciate something good when you get it.

This except 16 is the worst of both worlds either get a pistol for coolness and your cqb dreams or go long for stopping powah

What is the “AR is solved” thing?

It just happened.

thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/12/daniel-zimmerman/new-jersey-has-no-idea-how-to-enforce-its-10-round-magazine-limit-law/

Retard, what?

That is a boomer poorfag mentality.

Not an argument smooth brain

Please return to the containment thread.

Except that's fucking wrong, retard.

I don't know where you cumsucking ingrates keep coming from with muh 20", muh stoppin powah, but you need to all fucking die or quit posting. 16" gets you within ~150 FPS of 20", depending on ammo selection. There is zero effective difference between the two. I can only assume you're all nogunz or have never shot anything but paper at 25 yards if you think there's a difference.

Ok,. here's one. You're a nogunz retard, I actually own a 20", don't buy a fucking 20" AR unless you want a 20" AR, because 16" is better in for 99% of people. 20" is good for aesthetics and rifle length gas, which you can get on an 18" as well, and doesn't really matter because it's not like 5.56 has recoil.

Attached: velocity-table.gif (1243x612, 77K)

Top priority for you, user, is researching NJ laws.

The AR is solved thing is the meme that there is a specific build list that is the perfect combination of value and quality, basically the best all around rifle without overspending. Lurk around the AR threads and you'll see someone post the list. The thing you should pay attention to is the BCM ELW MCMR upper. The other parts will be different for your cucked state.

Things to keep in mind.
1: BUILD don't buy. You're going to get a lot more bang for your buck this way. If you're going to assemble it yourself you'd want a vice, a rubber mallet, punches, and a armoroer's wrench (get a magpul for ~$70 to ~$100, it will last the rest of your life unlike the cheap $15 chinese shit that might not even let you put together one rifle). Also, always keep in mind that you could just pay a gunsmith ~$50 to ~$100 to put it together for you, but you'd be better off putting that money towards owning your own armor's wrench and getting the experience of putting one together.
2: You said your budget was $1,000 to $2,000, which means you can put together a really, really damn nice AR. Someone else already said this, but the most expensive part of your whole rifle should be the optics. Look at spending $400 to $1,000 on them. Consider getting an Eotec 512 (holographic sight that's ~$400), some kind of Trijicon ACOG (a fixed power scope that's as incredibly durable / doesn't require batteries. They run ~$1,000 though), and Aimpoint red dot of some kind (they run $400 to $900). There are plenty of other quality options though.
3: The next most expensive part of your rifle should be the barrel. Look to spend $300 to $500 on that alone. You can get barrels for $100 or even less, but they won't have the mechanical accuracy or lifespan that a premium barrel will. FN makes absolutely outstanding barrels, but there are also other companies that make pretty good ones too (like Yankee Hill Machine).
4: As previously stated, the optics and barrel are the only two parts you really don't want to cheap out on. Most every other part is going to be just as functional regardless of how much you spend on it.

No, you don't. You see people with 30 round magazines that are internally limited to 10 (previously 15) rounds. NJ fucking sucks, save your money and leave.

Also do you even have an FID? If you don't, you can't buy shit.

All your data shows I'm right and that 18>16. Stay mad.

I do! I applied on my 18th

>you'd want a vice, a rubber mallet, punches
You literally don't need any of that. I also like how you didn't mention roll pin starters or a pivot pin tool or a torque wrench, the things that are damn near required to do it right without nigger rigging anything. If you do want to use a vice (it will make it easier) get one of the magazine insert vice blocks.
>all your advice on barrels
Is completely wrong. A first time AR owner won't notice the difference between a BA and whatever meme you try to shill. Even good barrels don't cost as much as you claim anyway, DD barrels are excellent and under $300. You'd get way more accuracy out of going full retard and buying a Geissele trigger than you would a top shelf barrel. DD and BA (who makes Aero barrels) are sub-Moa capable. The issue then is getting you to shoot sub-MOA, which mostly rests on the trigger.
>As previously stated, the optics and barrel are the only two parts you really don't want to cheap out on
And completely wrong. Budget optics work, you can spend less than half as much as you're suggesting and get solid quality. A holosun is every bit as good as an aimpoint, and a Primary Arms lpvo shits allover ACOGs.

Ooh, your 80-150 FPS really matters huh? I'm sure the paper at 25 yards really feels the difference.

Alright then, cool. You'll have to purchase a complete rifle (unless you happen to find someone privately selling a lower in NJ, which I think is illegal now) since federal law prevents the transfer of anything except rifles and shotguns from a dealer to someone under 21. You can really go with any of the modern AR-15s with free float rails and such as they won't have the problematic bayonet lug. Use the Strike Industries Stock Block to fix the stock in place and have the barrel chopped to 14.5" with a pinned brake (if you're going to be pinning shit, might as well do it to comply with federal law than NJ law).

Also, for the guy suggesting I move, would you consider PA less cucked? Or is Maryland less cucked?
Asking bc I might be moving soon to either

PA is better. For now.

MD is arguably worse than NJ but they are both commie shitholes.

PA is holding on for dear life. We're completely surrounded by cuck states, with only WV and OH holding our backs. Philly is a Dem shithole and the suburbs are a RINO haven.

Speak for yourself chump.

I mean, did you forget the part where I own a 20"? It's fun. It's not the most practical.

You know for a fact the 16 to 18 plateau exists.
T. 20 inch masterrace