First gun lol

nogunz here, tell me why or why not i should get a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver as my first gun.
my reasoning is that its a somewhat powerful cap & ball while being small enough that i can still cylinder-dump if necessary, and is easily recognizable for being a really powerful gun, so hopefully it would be intimidating enough that i might not have to resort to actually using it in self defense

Attached: DSCN1555_-_cover.jpg (640x360, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3kqEgijuCu4
youtube.com/watch?v=DRubdCJLUvA
brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/cylinder-parts/cylinders/revolver-cartridge-conversion-cylinder-prod9488.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=uZ8EYQ9ng30
cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Model-Confederate-Navy-Caliber-Black-Powder-Revolver/740536.uts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>is easily recognizable for being a really powerful gun, so hopefully it would be intimidating enough that i might not have to resort to actually using it in self defense

This isn't how self defense works. Go for it though. Personally, I'd get bored quick with one because I shoot a lot and it would be a pain in the ass.

you're trying to be funny but starting with a cb revolver is actually not a bad choice

It's not actually that powerful by modern standards. Remember that you are using either BP or BP substitute. You are going to get the equivalent of a really cold loaded .45 ACP out of it.
I know you're thinking it's like a .44 Magnum because it shares the same bore diameter, but that is really not how this works.
>Small
Not really. The barrel is really long due to the loading lever, making the thing surprisingly bulky compared to more modern revolvers. Cylinder on an Army model (.44) is also pretty wide.
Remember that you also have to manually cock before firing each shot, so you lose the reliability advantage that DA/DAO revolvers have (if someone is grappling for the gun you can just mash the trigger and empty it).
>Intimidating.
Well, the muzzle flash that BP guns have is pretty scary looking I suppose, but you don't want to bank on a gun being intimidating. All guns are scary to a pretty good extent. Past that, if they aren't scared of a gun they probably won't notice what kind of gun you are using at all.

Also remember that while kinda neat, loading and shooting a cap/ball revolver at a range is a pretty slow/complicated/tedious process. If you find that to be particularly attractive as a concept, then great. Go with it. If not then you're really going to want a cartridge firing gun.
It might also work if you want to do some Civil War LARPing or you live in a very nogunz area where it's much easier to acquire cap/ball revolvers than modern firearms.

Given the option though, I'd take just about any swing-out .38 Spl. or .357 revolver over any cap and ball.

Pro tip user. I have the pietta model and the little red caps from cap guns back in the 90s work better and sit better than you Remington #10 or #11 caps, cheaper too. Just make sure to get the ones for the revolver cap gun, they have hard plastic fittings that go over the nipple perfectly. Have fun.

Get the Remington:
youtube.com/watch?v=3kqEgijuCu4

(OP) #
>tell me why or why not i should get a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver as my first gun.
Remington 1858 is superior. More sturdy because of the closed frame design. More reliable because Colts have issues with spent caps falling down in front of the hammer. Their design also allows for quick cylinder change, see #

Get a .44 Remington with a 5.5" barrel instead.

I have New Army 1858 model and can replace cylinder with "conversion" that allows 45LC ("Light Colt") rounds. My routine is shoot a BP-loaded cylinder; then shoot a 45LC - this sort of "wipes" the barrel; dont have to fuck cleaning it. Cleaning the BP cylinder is pita still.

It's a pain in the ass to get the materials to shoot it and powder is expensive, and then it's a pain in the ass to shoot it too.

Your post kind of makes me want to gutshoot you OP.

Fuck off troll.

he's not trolling you retard.

Just dont shoot youself by dropping the gun OP. leave the hammer on a empty chamber.

>being small enough that i can still cylinder-dump if necessary
wtf does that even mean and how would size factor in?

>easily recognizable for being a really powerful gun
why does that matter?
who is doing the recognizing? civil war buffs?
>it would be intimidating enough that i might not have to resort to actually using it in self defense
jesus fucking christ words escape me

IS THIS BAIT??? HAVE I FINALLY BEEN BAITED????

but desu, this isn’t the case at all.

>t. felon

Go watch a ton of different YouTubers review the same revolver, they are quite a few things about CB revolvers that I wouldn't have ever learned otherwise. Most importantly, keep it loaded on an empty chamber like one user said. Having only five rounds on you sucks with a gun that takes so long to load, I know, but if the hammer even taps a cap too hard it'll go off in your fckn pants. If you pull the hammer back and slip, the hammer will certainly fire the round off when it slaps back. Basically, you gotta be super careful with them, which makes federal laws retarded because CB revolvers are certainly more dangerous than SA or DA revolvers. Ex-cons and 18-21 year olds get CBs for self defense because they aren't technically firearms in most states, and yet you are exorbitantly less safe carrying one than a real revolver. Even a gun moderate could see how cart revolvers should be 18 and up at least, I hate how self-defense is a real issue but you have to be 21 before you can have a pistol. No one is going to carry a rifle around, and 18-21 year old men/women should have the opportunity to protect themselves with more than a literal LOOSE CANNON

>felons aren't allowed to own modern firearms because of the increased risk of nd's
Whew

Why are you looking at a cap-and-ball? Is that the only gun you can legally own, period? Or are you just an 18-21 in the US, so you can't buy a cartridge handgun from an FFL?
Because if it's the latter, keep in mind you still have three options for cartridge guns (barring more restrictive state laws):
>buy a handgun off armslist
>buy a polymer80 and parts kit, make your own
>buy a cap-and-ball revolver and a conversion cylinder
In that case, I'd go with armslist or polymer80, but supposing you wanna go with revolver+conversion cylinder for some reason, a navy-caliber revolver + a .38 Special conversion cylinder is a good choice. I'd definitely prefer a Remington over a Colt, though.

OTOH, if you're stuck with cap-and-ball for some reason, I'd think about either going down to a pocket model (e.g. 1863 Remington in .32) for concealability, or up to an army-caliber (1858 Remington in .44) for better ballistics. .36-caliber black powder is just a little on the weak side (one notch below .380), and the gun is practically as big as a .44-caliber, so it's an odd middle-ground that's hard to justify.

>being small enough that i can still cylinder-dump if necessary
lolwut? size doesn't make that any easier. If you wanna be fast, fucking practice is the answer, no matter what size gun.

>easily recognizable for being a really powerful gun
Most criminals don't want shot with ANY gun; the two main factors in whether brandishing a gun will work as a deterrent is whether they believe it's a real gun or a fake, and whether they're so fucked up on drugs they forgot to be afraid of dying. The size of the gun does nothing for either of these.

>Navy
>like a .44 Magnum because it shares the same bore diameter
Fuck off, retarded tripfag.

>Most importantly, keep it loaded on an empty chamber like one user said.
Remington 1858s have safety notches you can rest the hammer on without sacrificing one round. That said, they fucking suck out of the box on modern replicas - they are too shallow and the hammer can easily slip out of them, you have to file them down yourself if you want to use them.

youtube.com/watch?v=DRubdCJLUvA

I clearly said that's NOT how it works, Mr. Reading Comprehension.

>it shares the same bore diameter
IT DOESN'T SHARE THE SAME BORE DIAMETER
Navy caliber is .36, you incredible retard.

>I'd think about either going down to a pocket model (e.g. 1863 Remington in .32) for concealability
I wouldn't. You said it yourself - .36 out of a Navy is already below .380, .32 out of a 1863 would be way, way worse. I honestly wouldn't trust it to go through several layers of thick clothing without losing the energy required to reach vitals.

Remington 1858 in .44 with a 5.5" barrel would be a much better choice. Not the most comfortable thing to carry, but it's doable.

Yeah, I wouldn't either, but it's like a .25 ACP vest-pocket pistol -- on one hand, you're seriously compromising on ballistics, but at least you get concealability out of it that you can't get any other way. (At least before the .32 and .380 Seecamps existed, lol.) So there's some niche where it COULD make sense, if you really can't dress to conceal a bigger gun.

Whereas a big navy-caliber gat is like if somebody converted a G19 to .32 ACP -- there's absolutely no practical niche for that, it's just plain the worst of both worlds. (Although it'd be a cool range toy, tbdesu.)

What is up with with noguns people wanting silly special snowflake shit as their first gun? Why can't you just start with a .22lr or milsurp like everyone else? You're not going to stop at one, it's pretty much guaranteed you're going to get more. Learn to shoot first then go buy something that uses super old, bizarre, or $5+ per squeeze ammo.

Attached: Johnny5.jpg (320x236, 7K)

Desu, BP CnB is fun af
Who cares
I started with a 16ga and 300 Savage. So what?

brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/cylinder-parts/cylinders/revolver-cartridge-conversion-cylinder-prod9488.aspx
Get yourself one of these. Turn your cap and ball into a 44 mag.

Who cares? Let him buy one to learn on. I wouldn't use CandB for carry, but it can be good to train marksmanship on.

MODS underaged

>first gun
>want a BP six shooter for defence
good luck hitting anything you filthy felon

>implying modern cap and ball revolvers are inaccurate
youtube.com/watch?v=uZ8EYQ9ng30

OP here, hahahaha

Be careful desu
44mag=\=45LC

It's terrible to learn basic marksmanship with, are you retarded? One it's a handgun, which is markedly more difficult to master than a rifle, two it's BP so he'll spend more time loading than actually learning how to shoot, three it'll cost more to shoot than a .22, four are you fucking retarded?

Oof get wasted faggot

No it can't, have you ever shot a BP revolver? It's pure novelty, you're retarded if you choose to make one your first ever gun to learn the fundamentals on.

I like cap and ball revolvers. Stay away from pyrodex and BP subs. They're corrosive. BP is actually NOT corrosive, but it attracts moisture. When I lived in Arizona I could not clean my BP revolvers and they were fine, when I moved to Florida it sucks the moisture out of the air like a motherfucker so be aware and clean accordingly. As for actually using it for self desense it's not the best. They're big assed guns and SAO. That said, you shoot someone with one and they'll have a terrible day. It's the equivalent of being hit with a lead ball bearing. Personally I like the Rem New Army as it has a "quick" change cylinder (which I can do pretty fast having practiced with it). They're fun to shoot.

All that said, buying an old S&W model 10 would be my recommendation if you're a noguns newb and looking for something cheap and fun to shoot.

I took the time to file mine and man is it sweet when they work right

I don't recommend it, I would recommend a break action .410, a 10/22, Henry leaver in 22lr, or a replica single action in .22.

BP has a some needs that are more specialized then smokeless.

is it the worst first gun, no, that would be a .500 S&W revolver or a 50. cal Barret.

if you do, for every day carry, do a cowboy load:

powder, ball, wax and only load 5/6 with #6 under the hammer.

the repro navies come in .44 too
>cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Model-Confederate-Navy-Caliber-Black-Powder-Revolver/740536.uts