.308 ammo

I'm a europoor that could buy a 'new' surplus L1A1 SLR for 650 euros. I'm pretty tempted cuz 'right arm of the free world' but is it any good? Being a europoor our choice of cheap military grade weapons is very limited and often very expensive. Most quality semi autos cost between 2000 to 3000 euro. However I read that a 7.62x51 NATO rifle should not be fired with .308 ammo because of higher pressure and headspacing issues. After looking online I couldn't find any dealers in my country selling 7.62x51... Wat do now?

Attached: SLRL1A1.jpg (2968x968, 2.32M)

both ammo will work similarly and is safe. I'd get it they're nice fun rifles. they cost about double that in the usa

Damn I wish I could find an FAL for $700. Buy it OP, the ammo will be fine, NATO or not.

I hope you are right. I could also buy a vz58, a tula sks or a chinese SDM akm for a similar price... You think the SLR is the best choice? Ammo is a lot more expensive and also I'm belgian so it kind of seems blasphemy to buy an english slr

found a lot of articles spreading fear about how unsafe .308 in a 7.62 rifle is. Just don't want my end of the world zombie rifle to blow up on me :(

What country are you from?

Belgium... I want to stock up on firearms before they eventually ban everything.

I got a nice tula aks74u that's going to be illegal in a year or so. I'll be allowed to keep it but I can't sell it to anyone and it's impossible to find 5.45x39 ammo for it here. Only have 1000 rounds or so left. Feels bad man

There's a lot of confusion and misinfo about this, but you mostly have it backwards. Some old civillian rifles (mostly bolt action deer rifles) were narrowly headspaced in .308, not in 7.62x51. In these specific old rifles, it is not safe to fire NATO 7.62.

Rifles headspaced for 7.62 can (almost) always shoot .308. There are some exceptions, like when certain rifles were rebored for 7.62, sometimes commercial .308 can be too hot. I don't see that happening with a SLR that's for sure

It's possible that your country does not sell "7.62" because certain countries have laws that say "military caliber" ammo can not be sold to civilians. It is likely that at least some .308 you're finding on the market is rebranded 7.62 anyway

Just gift it or lose it in a boating accident

GET THE SLR
get GGG 147gr M80 ball
better than PPU

if I 'lose' my weapons they will never give me another permit for a new gun

okay thanks I trust fellow Jow Forumsommandos

were UK troops happy with the SLR?

Give me the GEP gun.

Attached: gman.png (219x230, 68K)

VZ58 will have the cheapest ammo and will be better than newer production chinese stuff

The FAL was developed by Fabrique National, a Belge company

Get VZ58.

t. Czech.

Heh

DSA are only $300 more and are made with German tooling that made the StG58 variants.

Yeah, but that's $300 of ammo you then can't buy.

Then just buy that $300 worth of ammo at a later time.

By the time they start taking weapons away you won't be thinking about what permits they allow you to have.

L1A1 was an offshoot of the FAL which was not made by FN.