Silence is golden

"Boston University mechanical engineers create synthetic, sound-silencing structure that blocks 94 percent of sounds"
fastcompany.com/90316833/scientists-have-discovered-a-shape-that-blocks-all-sound-even-your-co-workers
eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/bu-brd030619.php

Attached: 194811_web.jpg (1440x997, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

osssuppressors.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But can we fuck it?

This is the only real question

Cool, but can it handle high heat?

Reading the articles, it looks like theyve considered application for jet engines and HVAC units so im assuming theyll take heat into consideration

Not even scientific breakthroughs can silence the screams of my crippling loneliness.

Attached: born to feel.jpg (724x724, 90K)

GODDAMMIT

Attached: ee1.jpg (580x548, 21K)

Attached: 1551064229132.jpg (222x251, 17K)

Attached: 1552501854092.png (600x600, 89K)

This is super misleading. It's not a new material at all, it's just a clever mathematical matrix laid up by 3d printing. Aka, useless.

So it’s even more useful and the shape can be used on other materials?

>shape
>structure
neither the journalists or OP claimed that a new material was made or used

Attached: retarded pepe sad.png (1127x685, 37K)

Not really. If I understand this correctly, it's going to have to modulated specifically for different frequencies and stuff, and there's going to be resonance differences depending on substrate. You're also going to be heavily relying on your printing resolution, and some materials won't be able to print that well. What I was hoping for was something that would increase the effectiveness of suppressors. But I don't see this doing that. Architecture, like they mentioned, sure. But making it smaller scale is going to be an issue.

>mechanical engineers create synthetic, sound-silencing structure

Read the article. They keep referring to it as a metamaterial, which it isn't.
>a synthetic composite material with a structure such that it exhibits properties not usually found in natural materials, especially a negative refractive index.
Carbon fiber. Nanotubes. Aramid weaves. Those are metamaterials. This is not.

No one will hear you cumming, that's for sure.

It doesnt seem likely this would be used in silencers. Would it? When a gun fires the propellant and bullet hitting the air are what cause the sound right? Isnt this more of a insulation type thing? When silencers are more like gas direction?

Nigga no, those are synthetic materials. This is a metamaterial.

>A metamaterial is a material engineered to have a property that is not found in naturally occurring materials. They are made from assemblies of multiple elements fashioned from composite materials such as metals or plastics.

The ring is a single element of a metamaterial. The complete metamaterial would be a big array of those rings.

DELET! RIGHT NOW!

>scientists-have-discovered-a-shape-that-blocks-all-sound-even-your-co-workers
>shape
>shape
>Shape
>shape
fuck you're stupid

>the alignment of molecules does not yield new material types
>posts examples

Attached: 1543944004674.png (656x600, 364K)

I'm glad you can read the link. Now click it, and read the article.

They better hide their dog or pay the ATF their vigorish !

ALIGNMENT OF MOLECULES. NANO FUCKING SCALE. THIS SHIT CAME OFF A FUCKING 3D PRINTER YOU NIGGER FUCK. IT'S THE SIZE OF A FUCKING DINNER PLATE, NOT YOUR BRAIN.

Holly shit it looks like a sangenic diaper bin refill !!!

>“The idea is that we can now mathematically design an object that can blocks the sounds of anything,” says Boston University professor Xin Zhang, in a press release.
>Xin Zhang
Kek, every fucking time.

Attached: 85b.png (541x821, 197K)

cool. been looking into form 1 suppressors and compared with the original maxim silencer I’ve always found the baffle shapes to be primitive. and forget monocores, those are just for aesthetics. itd be pretty darn cool to see some technological developments with sound suppression for firearms. there was that one that was somehow supposed to function like a turbine (??? idk it was some youtube video) but it didnt seem to be a significant improvement and seemed more like a gimmick

You are still an idiot that thinks that a meta material has to be made of something special. Even the university is referring it as a meta material.

Meta materials don't have to be at the nano scale. Stop parroting pop sci memes without actually understanding things.

Attached: 220px-Split-ring_resonator_array_10K_sq_nm.jpg (220x165, 14K)

94% of sounds is only ~13dB

>a single element of a metamaterial

I don't think you know what elements or metamaterials are. I'm confident that what this is was made in an ordinary 3d printer, from plastic.

Its a fairly quiet suppressor and vents most of its sound downrange so the shooter hears even less, the main purpose was to maintain constant flow so theres no pressure spike speeding up the action in an AR

forgot link

osssuppressors.com/

How do we use this to bypass the NFA? IDEAS GENTLEMEN, NOW!

I don't think you understand how dB work, and even then, a 13dB reduction is pretty significant. dB are a logarithmic measurement, not a linear one.

fukkin nice

Attached: african american nice.gif (400x220, 47K)

yes i know exactly how dB works. firearms are 140dB or more. this reduction isn't anything special.

get a braen moran

94% of 140dB would be a reduction much greater than 13dB, retard.

It's pretty airtight on anything attachable reducing the sound of a portable firearm being banned, the tech doesn't change that.
If the suppressor itself made the firearm not portable, would that be allowed? Like, if I chained up a suppressor at a range and had to reattach it every time, would that render the firearm non-portable while the suppressor is attached, bypassing the NFA?

Controlled I should say, not banned

Attached: 1506570979517.png (602x618, 650K)

It's ok, I've accepted the pain now.

Attached: 1487906597894.jpg (650x600, 28K)

>vents sound downrange.

That's an idea. A suppressor that doesn't silence noise, but directs it away from the shooter to protect his hearing. Why has nobody done this?

The decibel scale is logarithmic.

I know, which is why I'm saying a 94% reduction of a sound that is 140dB would not make the resulting sound 128dB, retard. Learn math.
Nice to see you have no argument. Don't you have a night school to attend? Gotta work on getting that GED so you can get a job cleaning dishes down at Applebee's!

getting very desperate replies

8.4dB to be precise, significantly less sound than is made by the average exhalation.

No, I'm saying that the 140dB would decrease by much more than 13dB, not that the final sound would be more than 13dB.

That's the principle behind shooting tubes.

Yeah, I'm supporting your point.

Uh. They have.

Suppressing 94% of a 160dB gunshot would reduce its signature 21 dB.
for a suppressor that's not very impressive.

Does anyone actually know how to calculate what a 94% reduction of 140db is? Do log scales work the same way as linear scales here?

What do current suppressors get down to?

Damnit

Attached: 44945119_342867756290271_8191491347828441088_n.jpg (770x800, 72K)

What's it called?

Pistol silencers are equal to a car door slamming shut.

Flash cans.

They will hear 3% of "not yet, not yet"

Oathkeeper militia types are always tryhard mall ninjas who have no sense of humor, and talk about drills and weapon builds but never PT. Proper Jow Forumsube worship is the proper way to live.

No, he's right. If you just multiply 0.06 by 140 you get 8.4, which is the wrong way to do it.

Decibels is a log unit with a factor of 10 attached. log(0.06) = -1.22. Multiply by 10 to get the "dec" part of the unit and you get -12.2 dB. Since dB is a log, multiplying the energy by 0.06 is the same as adding the -12.2 in dB units.

140 dB is a sound with 10^7 times as much pressure as the reference air pressure.
6% of that pressure would mean the sound has 0.6*10^6 times as much pressure as the reference air pressure, which is equivalent to 115.563 dB. (A difference of 24.437 dB.)

However, the articles don't properly source their statement. If the journalists are ignorant and/or stupid, it's entirely possible they don't understand the importance of context, scaling, or units, and could have meant the design reduces sound to 94% dB.
This is why you don't trust articles without sources. Always follow the sources to the raw empirical observations and utilize your own critical thinking skills.

Your ears dont get hot retard

Its multiplied by 20, by convention.

t. EE

To give a bit more background, the reason behind why it's *20 is because hearing is more closely related to sound pressure. Sound pressure is proportional to the square root of Power. So we have to square the sound pressure. Log(x^2) is equal to 2*log(x), so that's where the extra *2 comes from.

College is for liberals and cucks, go to trade school faggots.

>magical thing that virtually eliminates sound and can handle high heat
>lets put it in our ears so the loud boomey booms dont hurt our ears
>a silencer? Those dont really work that well user, dont be stupid.

Attached: 1490764965132.jpg (480x411, 29K)

Linear comps?