The German helmet (and by extension, all modern military helmets) was based on the Japanese kabuto

The German helmet (and by extension, all modern military helmets) was based on the Japanese kabuto.

The Japanese perfected helmet design hundreds of years ago, and yet Westerners had to flail around with retarded designs like the Adrian helmet and Doughboy helmets before they got the message, simply because they were too proud to admit that an "inferior" people had a better idea than them.

Attached: Japanese kabuto.jpg (1500x1500, 585K)

Other urls found in this thread:

resources.metmuseum.org/resources/metpublications/pdf/Heroic_Armor_of_the_Italian_Renaissance_Filippo_Negroli_and_his_Contemporaries.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

custard

That is actually false. Pic related is what it was actually based on. Please take not about how he’s not a slant

Attached: ED037041-3701-49C6-980E-E8FFCA350DEC.jpg (600x434, 88K)

lotta good that sushi hat did them when we tossed two nukes at em, oorah

Attached: bukakkewarrior.jpg (966x733, 388K)

>Amerishart shitposting

So why IJA and IJN didn't use kabuto-derived design themselves?

Pretty sure they were based on the skull being curved and curved objects having the uncanny ability provide protection opposed to flat surfaces.

Op is wrong and a stupid ass, but the IJA probably didn't do so because the connection to samurai was mostly reserved for officers and not enlisted. Enlisted didn't carry gunto

Why do Jap samurai helmets and masks always have fake beards and shit on them? Did they think that was intimidating? Is feminine Jap DNA incapable of allowing their men to grow their own mustaches?

>Enlisted didn't carry gunto
Yes they did, NCOs were authorized to carry a sword.

Why even make it a face?

Answer: to show off how expensive your shit is.
I'm sure there's a Glock somewhere with a beard and mustache

They weren't the only ones

Attached: ah3802n-sutton-hoo-helmet-320.jpg (320x320, 49K)

It should've been hilarious if IJA readopted conical lampshade Ashigaru Jingasa like in the Sengoku Jidai (basically asian farmer hat, but made of metal). Some Bakumatsu-era Jingasa actually shaped somewhat like Brodie helmets.

Take a nap, Mr.jap

Take a nap, Mr. Jap

Aesthetical ranking of Medieval European helmets:
>Sallet>Armet>Sugarloaf Greathelm>Barbuta>Barrel Greathelm>Open Bascinet>Houndskull Bascinet>Late Kettle>Conical Closehelm>Nasal Helmet>Pekilhube>Capellina>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bucket Greathelm>Flattop Closehelm
Convince me otherwise

Attached: 58377652_p0.png (1701x2454, 1.13M)

What's the proper name for a frog helm because that's my shit

Stechhelm or jousting helmet

>when Katana threads are not enough for weeaboos

Keeps the flies out.

I like the sugarloaf but I think that’s just because Crusaders are so fucking aesthetic.

Attached: swisschad2.jpg (736x1045, 293K)

>greathelm
>not at the absolute bottom of the list
Cringed and brainletpilled

>get fuckin shanked by a dude who looks mildly surprised to see you
Such is life

I actually wanted to to just that but then I remembered that pic related is even shittier

Attached: pot-helm-with-faceplate-13.jpg (1000x1000, 58K)

>Nco type 95 pattern
Wasn't as high quality as the Officers pattern. Enlisted did carry swords. Whom ever told you that you should smack them across the head because they made you look like a jackass.

The masks are made to look like Japanese demons.

>Wasn't as high quality as the Officers pattern
This is implying that the officer's pattern was any better. They were both dogshit mass-produced in a factory that pumped out cheap stainless steel. Japanese officers who were actually samurai or had wealth either had family heirloom swords that had been passed down their family or they bought their swords from an actual smith.

I actually collect a lot of Nip shit from WWII, my absolute favorite part of it is finding an old shin-gunto or kai-gunto and finding out that it's actually an old koto or shinto blade that was put in military mounts. Even better are when you find the subtle clues as to which family owned it based on the mon and whatnot. Someday before I die I'd like to take a trip to Japan and see if I can't track down some of these families and give them back their family heirlooms.

The closest thing was the sun hats. A lot of Jingasa had the sun protection like that.

Attached: IJA Sun Hat.jpg (227x222, 6K)

Half of them would probably sell it.

Japan is a very different place now.

Most WWII Jap shit was pretty aesthetic but those retarded caps they wore looked like shit. They wore them a lot in the Navy too and they're goofy as fuck

This. Morion is peak helm

Maybe some would, but I'd venture to say most wouldn't. Antique Japanese blades, for the most part, aren't worth what most people think they are. Everyone thinks that a katana from the 1500s must be worth like $40,000 or something, but the reality is that if it's a rather generic blade from a lesser known school or smith, it's more likely worth somewhere in the vicinity of like $3-7,000. The collapse of the Japanese economy in the 1990s did a lot to drive prices down too. I don't personally own any Japanese blade worth more than about $8,000.

The point I'm making is that I have enough faith in people to think that they wouldn't hock their family legacy for a little bit of pocket change. If it was a sword worth a small fortune, then yeah, I could see a spoiled great-grandson selling it off to buy a sports car or something. But even the biggest douche on the planet would probably have trouble selling his heirloom for barely enough money for rent.

Or maybe I just have too much faith in people.

>But even the biggest douche on the planet would probably have trouble selling his heirloom for barely enough money for rent.

Clearly you've never interacted with drug addicts or college kids

they look dumb but OH GOD ITS SO FUCKING HOT AAAARGH could convince anybody to wear em.

I been collecting Gunto for 20 years. You have obviously never seen the Yasukuni shrine swords. They are absolutely fantastic.

No I don't just mean the sun shield thing, I mean shit like this. Just their whole style of cap in WWII was fucking weird looking. To an extant, they still do this with their baseball caps. They sew them a different way or something and it makes it look funny. I don't have any practical reason for not liking them, it's just that they look pointy and different so that means I don't like them

Attached: Jap flat cap.jpg (508x480, 33K)

made me laugh

If they are National treasures they won't be allowed to leave the country.

You're being disingenuous. You both know we're not talking about the swords that came out of the Yasukuni Shrine. Those were obviously exceptional swords, but that was not the sword that most Japanese officers were issued with. Most of them got dogshit that came out of a factory forge at Toyokawa. The officer's swords were of higher quality than NCO swords, but only marginally, and even then it was mostly in the quality of the fittings (real rayskin as opposed to fake, wood instead of laquered metal, etc.)

OK, I get you. It looks like a side cap with a brim tacked on. Brim seems to be either completely in the way of the eyes or flipped up to be useless. Durrrr/10 design.

There are only roughly 100 swords in Japan that are designated national treasures that are not allowed to leave the nation. The vast majority are in the possession of shrines, the Imperial Family, or museums, very few are in the hands of private collectors, and the ones that are are probably worth literally millions of dollars. I don't own anything like that.

Japanese officer swords ran from cheaply made crap all the way to top quality made by the finest smiths in Japan. Most are usually in the middle. There are also plenty of fakes in the mix. And I don't mean ones made today, but fake swords but with fake signatures from known high quality smiths.

Officers weren't issued swords, they purchased them. Same with their pistol until 1943. This is why quality of the swords vary a lot.

I know, I shouldn't have used the word "issued," but my argument is the same. The most that the majority of officers could afford was the machine-produced shit that came out of Toyokawa. The ones with some money usually got their swords made by one of the many smiths in Japan that were still around at the time, and the ones who came from samurai families usually already had swords to be mounted.

But that's not even the point I was originally making. My whole point is that comparing a factory-made NCO sword to a factory-made officer sword, there isn't much of a difference. The only real difference in quality between the factory-made NCO and officer swords was in the fittings, not the blade itself.

>Bucket Greathelm
>Barrel Greathelm
What's the difference between those two ?

Nope, for Renaissance helmet
>Burgonet>Morion=Cabasset>lobsterpot

Japs are honorary aryans, what the fuck are you raving about Haruto

Take a nap, Mr Jap.

I think that user mean with "bucket" is the earlier straight-sided from top to bottom, and the "barrel" is the later one more shaped, with a bit of tapering. I don't think there is a real naming convention for them anyway

I suppose barrel is sorta like the pembridge great helm then.

Take a nap, Mr. jap

>You're being disingenuous
I am, over my years of collecting I have run into many of the standard quality officers gunto. I also run into very high quality ones. It's just not fair to lump them all into the same category. I appreciate you are well versed on these swords. Most people are not. And they consider them to be all garbage. But as a collector and conservator. I have seen historical swords destroyed. I had one guy bring in a sword after he watched antiques road show to see if he could sell it for big money. So it was a Gunto. It had the higher quality fittings. That was a good sign. These fittings were not standard issue. Expertly carved fine like jewelry. Drew the sword out to see the blade was chromed. My heart sank. He saw this in my face. I had to see who made it. Knowing it was valueless. I closed my eyes as I pulled the blade free exposing the mei of Gassan Sadatoshi. This made me unbelievably angry. I looked at him and told him he destroyed a national treasure by chrome plating it. I took pictures of the sword and sent it to the MFA so they could let the Japanese know to take it off their list of missing art treasures. I hope you feel as I do. A lot of these swords are still in the hands of idiots. So we have to be careful how we categorize them. If we disrespect them, the Idiots will also. That sword was priceless. Now it's junk because someone told him that the sword was mass produced junk.

There are many that were taken by the American GIs back to the States. They didn't know what they were.

Take a nap, Mr.jap

OP is an obvious troll, as is everyone on Jow Forums that posts exaggerated praise of Japanese arms.

Yet so great is Jow Forums's hate boner that they fall for it time after time.

Take a nap, Mr.jap

Not that user, but that story kind of ruined my day.I own only just some cheap, mass produced 19th century sabres and the the thought of chrome plating any antique makes me shiver. I can only imagine how it must feel to an expert.

in fact the japanese kabuto was made by folding the iron one million times, creating an ultra strong iron that could absorb any hit from small arms fire, as well as direct artillery hits. western pigs stole the idea when they werent too busy shitting in a bowl and then slapping it on their head. why do the japanese never get credit for anything they do? i think its a bunch of western propaganda bullshit myself

Take a nap, Mr. Jap.

I would buy a neato ww2 jap sword i think it would be neat but have no idea where id get one in my country, all i ever find is mass produced current display garbage not that i would know how to tell the difference.

Hounskull is top tier faggot

>perfect helmet
>glueing on a fake mustache like a fucking child to hide your virgin face
Pick one

OUT OF THE WAY NIGGERS, BEST HELMET COMING THROUGH

Attached: bb9d43f4e42a17b9b18dc35744ace9f0.jpg (468x624, 52K)

Attached: 397de574dea1540a10be4a79b0d46e75.jpg (564x752, 58K)

Attached: DP345351.jpg (2917x3890, 950K)

Looks heavy as fuck

Attached: DP341736.jpg (2917x3890, 1.01M)

Im more convinced this is for gay buttsex then fighting

Manlet detected

I believe the weight of this specific helmet last time I held it in person was about 3.4 pounds, i'd have to find notes on it

Attached: DP341734.jpg (2919x3894, 1.08M)

Another helmet, this one is far cleaner and belonged to a more prestiged noble

1/2

Attached: DP-12880-052.jpg (3764x4000, 2.51M)

2/2

Attached: DP-12880-051.jpg (4000x3947, 2.42M)

Helmet from above resting on it's harness, unlike the first suit this helmet locked to the gorget.

Attached: DP272454.jpg (1188x1940, 1.2M)

my personal favorite late 16th century helmet that isn't grotesque

1/3

Attached: pl1_51465_fnt_tr_t01iv.jpg (1536x1799, 380K)

2/3

Attached: pl1_51465_3qtr_tr_t01iv-2.jpg (1675x1799, 421K)

3/3

so like i said best helmet

Attached: pl1_51465_prof_tr_t01iv.jpg (1711x1800, 528K)

bonus HD visor photo ok im done spamming bye

Attached: PICT9878.jpg (1920x2560, 1.03M)

The IJA did wear the Jingasa. At the very fucking start.

Also Jingasa are straw hats covered in leather. Very few were metal ones considering a metal farmer's hat would be very fucking heavy. A more common metal Jingasa was this one, which looked like a turtle's shell/WWI Brody Helmet.

Attached: Japanese_Military_Uniforms_1841-1929-19.jpg (1500x1305, 393K)

Clearly perfect

Attached: c1d0c91e753ef1f749cd49e470ae9646.jpg (853x1280, 84K)

take a nap, mr jap

ŪuŪ

Roman Galea > Kabuto

It got more replies than yours, Yang

Take a nap, Mr. Jap

Jesus Christ Americans are dumb.

Take a nap Mr jap

Take a nap, Mr jap

Your beard and mustache world be covered by the steel mask. Also, look at Hayao Miyazaki.

You're under estimating the Japanese peoples supernatural hysteria. The Japanese from coast to coast, from island to island all believed in yokai and many reported yokai experiences. The eso period is when the yokai experiences and tales peaked and by the second generation of Tokugawa shogunate many of the samurai and peoples who saw war first hand had passed away.

In short if you saw a samurai in a mask or even an Oni mask you were unsure if They were truly yokai underneath the mask or maybe a tengu.

Japanese helmets use to have holes in the top of the head price to allow "spirits"and "yokai" to enter into the samurai body during battle to make them stronger.

>Forgetting the almighty frogmouth, national helm of Jow Forums.
user, you absolute philistine. Go sit in the corner and think about what you just did.
>Inb4 it's just for jousting.
Fuck off non aesthetics having austists.

Attached: e0A5KJg.jpg (640x853, 127K)

Drugs are a big deal in Asia and a lot less common. Cigarettes and gambling are the Asian vices.

1) you are factually wrong the 'coal scuttle' 'German' helmet is not based on this Japanese object.
2)Japanese armour and arts was extremely primitive both metaurgically, technically and artistically compared to renaissance Europe. Japanese armourers were less skilled and had a less advanced and smaller range of techniques available to them as well as poorer raw materials.

That is all. Pic close-up of the precisely embossed Renaissance shield of Medusa created from steel, silver and gold, ca. 1550 by Filippo Negroli

Attached: 7e65189b19948abdb7b6bd06f8581e07.jpg (1200x804, 415K)

Absolutely aesthetic.

Take a nap, Mr. Jap

Filippo Negroli. Italian 1510-1597. Japan was a cultural backwater filled with what were relatively speaking cavemen. There is no comparison between the objects made of wood the Japanese produced and called armour and helmets and the extraordinary metalworking and artistic skills of European armourers.

Attached: 50043f84.jpg (721x900, 102K)

The metropolitan museum has a pdf here
resources.metmuseum.org/resources/metpublications/pdf/Heroic_Armor_of_the_Italian_Renaissance_Filippo_Negroli_and_his_Contemporaries.pdf

Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and his Contemporaries

Pyhrr, Stuart W., and José-A. Godoy, with essays and a compilation of documents by Silvio Leydi (1998)

Enjoy!

ruined muh day

I hope these posts aren't serious. Japanese armor was just as effective as European armor if made by a skilled armorer. Like with anything, it depends on the skill of the person making it. Chainmail is good protection regardless of the ethnicity of the guy making it. You can find examples of extremely beautiful Japanese helmets made by master armorers, just like you can find extremely beautiful helmets made by master European armorers. But of course that's not the shit that the average footsoldier bought for himself.

Here's another shield 1533 by Filippo Negroli for you. Japanese cavemen could not compete

Take a Nap, Mr. Jap