TVN-2T Night Vision Periscope

Hey Jow Forums,

I got my hands on a TVN-2T. Took it apart, seemed like it was in good condition.
In the process of figuring out how it works and how to get it powered, now.

Attached: 20190317_170512.jpg (3662x1902, 796K)

Other urls found in this thread:

auction.catawiki.com/kavels/17514485-night-vision-periscope-tvn-2b-cccp
optics-nj.cz/en/tanks.html,
mines.pajhwok.com/news/mineral-resources-badghis-province
youtu.be/cwER3EMir60?t=690
youtu.be/O7kAgixwc7A?t=354
stud-baza.ru/pribor-nochnogo-videniya-tvn-2b-referat-voennaya-kafedra
reibert.info/threads/optika.953936/#post-10458880
scribd.com/doc/27319696/Russian-T-62-Medium-Tank-Operators-Manual
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Here's a similar model. On the left is the power cord, which mine doesn't have. Trying to figure out what I can do to power it. From what I read, it needs ~22-29 V.
auction.catawiki.com/kavels/17514485-night-vision-periscope-tvn-2b-cccp

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1219x1600, 182K)

Are these meant to be mounted in armored vehicles?

Here's how I believe it's wired, cord plugs in on the left, from there it's (seemingly) a single wire which branches off into each tube.
Tried to disassemble the tubes but didn't want to possible destroy anything so I've stopped for now.

Yeah, I believe it was initially used in T-55s (as per optics-nj.cz/en/tanks.html, still in the midst of research).
Apparently this one was taken from a BMP during the First Gulf War.

Attached: 20190317_112728.jpg (1960x2674, 253K)

based dutchfag.

Let echt fucking op met het voltage man, minder dan een volt te hoog voordat deze de transformator ingaat en je hebt de buizen doorgebrand.

Deze nachtkijker heeft geen gedeelde componenten met de PNV-57, en loopt ook niet op simpele batterijen. Raad aan om naar duitse onderhoudsdocumentatie van de NVA te gaan zoeken.

I don't know Russian and my knowledge of the Soviet-Afghan war is scant, but:

Tag appears to read "Attention! Kokchil work shop close" (Google translate)
Still looking into Kokchil, but I found mines.pajhwok.com/news/mineral-resources-badghis-province which says it's an area in Afghanistan, my guess is it was brought in during the war, then sold to the US for the Gulf War.

Attached: 20190317_172944.jpg (1774x905, 153K)

Not Dutch, but I really appreciate the info.

Would there be any visible signs if the tubes get burned?
For powering it, I was thinking of looking into getting a hold of a variable machine and hooking that up. Not entirely sure how to wire it, it looks like there's only 1 wire in the whole thing.

I'll check out NVA documentation, that's an interesting lead. How come they'd have documentation on it?

They essentially either start fading white or black when they burn out. I do advise covering the lenses of the thing whenever the assembly is exposed to light. Some tubes burn out when sunlight or lamp light shines in to them, even when powered off.

>I'll check out NVA documentation, that's an interesting lead. How come they'd have documentation on it?
They don't, their manuals should just be translated from russian. It's because german is a language commonly taught, or easily understandable for a person that only speaks english with relative ease. Have fun reading the russian manuals if you don't know a word of russian, and in this specific case, technical russian. Trust me, knowing technical russian is quite a feat, even when you're a native russian speaker.

>For powering it, I was thinking of looking into getting a hold of a variable machine and hooking that up. Not entirely sure how to wire it, it looks like there's only 1 wire in the whole thing.
I think you mean one wire with 2 smaller wires packed into it, otherwise the ground contact would have to be made to the vehicle chassis.

I have no experience with soviet vehicle electronic systems and what voltages they run at. One thing is clear though, they don't run on typical western voltages most of the time, although you can sometimes get away with running a western 9v battery in a soviet appliance that needs a 12v battery.

it actually says: "Finished working - close the shutter"

>In the process of figuring out how it works and how to get it powered, now.
RIP

>They essentially either start fading white or black when they burn out. I do advise covering the lenses of the thing whenever the assembly is exposed to light. Some tubes burn out when sunlight or lamp light shines in to them, even when powered off.
Here's the state they were in when I got them (today).
Found this video of a much more complex periscope, this part of the tube looked similar, but not as white as mine. youtu.be/cwER3EMir60?t=690
No idea how the one I have was kept before I got it.
Will keep it covered from now on.

>They don't, their manuals should just be translated from russian. It's because german is a language commonly taught, or easily understandable for a person that only speaks english with relative ease. Have fun reading the russian manuals if you don't know a word of russian, and in this specific case, technical russian. Trust me, knowing technical russian is quite a feat, even when you're a native russian speaker.
Will have to find the manual first, haven't had any luck yet, but I'll check NVA manuals as well.
I know a native-born Russian who teaches technical writing, if I find a Russian manual I'll probably bring it to him.

Attached: 20190317_1240132.jpg (650x649, 49K)

>I think you mean one wire with 2 smaller wires packed into it, otherwise the ground contact would have to be made to the vehicle chassis.
Here's how it's assembled. I'm not seeing anything that differentiates between wires.
I'm hoping a manual will shed some light on it.

That makes more sense, thank you.

I haven't given up hope yet.

Attached: 20190317_180515.jpg (1960x3394, 687K)

Oh, i thought you mean the big fuckoff 2-lead wire going into the assembly. In this case it means the ground connection for the intensifier tubes is most likely the casing.

I'm trying to undig some electrical diagrams right now, but haven't had any luck.

P.S. don't electrocute yourself, thx.

>Oh, i thought you mean the big fuckoff 2-lead wire going into the assembly
The one seen in ?
Would have to purchase one (if possible) or rig one together if it isn't impossible. I was hoping it'd be as simple as connecting some wires to a ~24V supply and that being it, but I'm no electrician.

Good luck with finding any diagrams, I haven't been able to find anything either.
Found one video of a guy messing around with that part of it, but didn't see him connect anything to it youtu.be/O7kAgixwc7A?t=354

>P.S. don't electrocute yourself, thx.
Already tripped one breaker.

One setup configuration.

Attached: 158672557.jpg (785x589, 110K)

A diagram.

Attached: otvaga2004_bm08_04.jpg (600x464, 66K)

>The one seen in ?
Yes, but Thanks to I now see that this leads into the transformer assembly.

So power comes from an external source, into the transformer, then to the periscope?
"his power supply is an electronic device that converts the voltage of the onboard network of the armored vehicle to a high DC voltage, which is supplied to the device's electronic-optical converters." from stud-baza.ru/pribor-nochnogo-videniya-tvn-2b-referat-voennaya-kafedra

If you had the right source, couldn't you connect it straight to the periscope?
What other considerations besides voltage are there?

Forum post with some schematics

reibert.info/threads/optika.953936/#post-10458880

Attached: 158672589.jpg (785x589, 289K)

From page 25 (2-12) of aT-62 Operation Manual

Attached: BT-26-2 to TVN-2.jpg (377x183, 22K)

scribd.com/doc/27319696/Russian-T-62-Medium-Tank-Operators-Manual

Going off the basic schematic for image intensifying night vision, the simple wiring seems to be reasonable.

Attached: Image_intensifier_diagram.png (800x255, 58K)