When and why did small groups of highly skilled soldiers become a thing...

When and why did small groups of highly skilled soldiers become a thing? It wasnt really a thing in WW1 (storm troopers were mostly better equipped) and the SAS in WW2 was in its infancy. What other facets of warfare has changed to necessitate elite soldiers, as well as those elite soldiers seemingly more of the work than regular grunts?

Attached: afghan-2-027.jpg (960x720, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Fertig
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dude, a lot longer than that. Robert Rogers led the rangers in the French and Indian war based off of Indian tactics. Indians had dog soldiers that were their spec op, I believe.

>dogs were basically the same thing as delta guise

Is this satire?

Since ever my man

the oldest example i can think is the varangian guard

Attached: 1545401734507~2.jpg (640x640, 172K)

>elite soldiers

They’re made to do push-ups and swim in cold water till some say “fuck this shit.” Spec ops is a meme- they have a virtually unlimited budget for 20 years and they have nothing to show for it except a opioid crisis in the US and the entire Middle East in ruins.

Special forces had its origins in two kinds of soldiers: skirmishers/scouts and most especially, the guerrilla. Small bands of men, told to accomplish certain missions a big whole army couldnt. In the case of guerrillas: they were sicced out to hit a target in either wearing down operations or surgical operations to cripple the enemy.

Hence the slang term for them -Commandos- which referred to the irregular fighters -the Kommandos- of the Boer Republics during the Second Boer War, who did guerrilla shit.

Following further experiences with infantry tactics in WWI (trench raiders notably), and that of WWII, the militaries of the world formally decided to literally make them actual, purpose built units.

Its worth noting that one of the key founders of the US Special Forces was Colonel Wendell Fertig. He was a mere reservist lieutenant colonel who escaped the fall of the Philippines when the Japs conquered it in 1942 and headed one of the more successful guerrilla outfits in the Philippines.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Fertig

The idea of elite Soldiers appears as early as in "The Art of War" by Sun Tsu. He called them "bodies of picked men"

Because peer state conflict is a thing of the past.

I think he meant Soldiers that had dogs with them. Like a K-9 unit.

Are you confusing dog soldiers as a native American k9 unit, or are you aware that's what they called their elite warriors and you're conveying they weren't specialized as once believed?

If you have sources on it, I'd be happy to read them.

Except in premodern times, "picked men" literally meant just that.

They weren't an elite formation, but men from the army known to have certain talents which a General would then start ask around. Say "i heard X is good at climbing" or "Y is a deadly shot with a bow."

Its more of a "I'm putting together a team" deal.

What said was right. Special forces started showing up after WWI and WWII.

Attached: Mughal India-33.jpg (1574x1200, 313K)

Observation, across different countries in different ways, that well-trained guerilla fighters were capable of inflicting mass casualties on formal infantry despite being overwhelmingly outnumbered.

Because nations no longer go to war.

>storm troopers were mostly better equipped
and more experienced and selected for aggression and violence of action

Different style of war. Fighting insurgencies is different than a full blow land war. In WWI the Storm troopers were very effective but not sustainable. They were almost all killed in the spring offensive, albeit they made great gains and quickly over ran positions but they died in the same numbers as everyone else.
Look at WWII (Eastern front), it clearly shows having more lesser trained soldiers is a winning strategy.

In a proper full scale war materials and numbers is what you want. If there ever was another total war I think the powers involved would scale down there SOF numbers and increase the number of grunts 10x.

Attached: pile_of-human_remains_verdun.jpg (600x612, 86K)

Right. While there wasn't a real notion of "special forces" or anything like that, certain specialized formations like the Grenadiers or Jagers of the 1700s were certainly looked up to as being more elite or prestigious.
Then you had other purpose driven units like Lovat's Scouts or the Arditi

>Franc Trireurs, WWI

Who named that picture?
It's mostly horse bones and garbage.

> hasn’t heard of the Triarii
Get a load of this nigga right here

Attached: image.jpg (500x372, 227K)

Remember this dudes from 300? The Immortals? They were the Persian Empires elite, best of the best.

What's the lizard on the leash for?

>ywn spend WWII innaAlaska with your friends fuckin with Japs, riding canoes, fishing for salmon and disregarding Army uniform regulations

Why even FUCKING live

Attached: FE4F0611-9EAA-4C81-9687-F617DC8795AA.jpg (712x401, 249K)

Wrong pic

Attached: 9BA00012-32FF-41E2-B9E9-5426D1E4209B.jpg (960x640, 113K)

The current Spec Ops obsession is a pretty huge waste of resources. Based on the need for direct action Counter-terrorism, they could be drastically reduced in number and budget.
In response to limited war, the military should reorganize itself for larger Elite infantry divisions, rather than extraordinarily expensive and extraordinarily small special units. Because right now, the doctrine revolves around an almost comedic cavalcade of different ultra vetted Special units, with heavy lifting done by airpower, and with a lot of wasted effort in experimentalism. A lot of them end up doing the same things, anyway. How many different kinds of special divers does the navy need?
This is very expensive in prolonged war, for very little gain.
The military exacerbates this problem by having an extremely specialized occupational system to begin with. This profligate lack of versatility is inefficient.

During the Siege of Sinhagad, the Maratha forces managed to scale a Mughal fortress by tying a line on a monitor lizard which would climb up the fort and hand the line to a spy inside. Said spy would pull the line, which pulls a thicker rope, and the Marathas would climb up.

Then the Maratha poos would try to open the gate of the fort. They were doing so well when the rope broke and killed half the team, but they managed to complete their job.

pretty dang cool if true

Attached: 1516724078585.jpg (458x750, 32K)

honestly it's probably been like that for a while

dudes who really dont want to fight and just want to go back to their farm arent going to be as a small, tightly knit group of VIN DIESEL I LIVE FOR THIS SHIT dudes