Can anyone give me the quick and dirty about these things...

Can anyone give me the quick and dirty about these things? Ordered one for shtf or emergency and I have it programmed to the basic military/emergency weather/etc frequencies but I'm not sure what else I need to know or really how to work this thing. The instructions are extremely basic and don't tell me much. Is there a starter guide anywhere someone can link me to?

Attached: 71YIP8wRGwL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-MenuDef.php
hamuniverse.com/w7dtguv5rprogramming.html
radioreference.com/apps/db/
thingiverse.com/thing:2799874/apps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Itll turn you gay.

That's all there is to it. It's not going to morph into a codecracker like you seem to think. It's the most basic bitch of radios on the market. Try not to harass anyone.

I'm clueless how this works though. Are the channels supposed to be dead air? When I hit the monitor button I hear static but still no comms. I don't expect constant comms based on the nature of radio but I'm a literal retard when it comes to this, hence my asking for a baby beginner's guide.

There's dozens of videos on youtube. Jesus fucking christ have some common courtesy and do a tad of research on your own before you come here and ask others to search google for you.

>Ordered one for shtf or emergency
Essentially, you are an imbecile.

The fuck is you're problem? This is /k and the autistic asperger retards on this site, like OP, regularly regurgitate threads that have been posted mere hours, and, in some cases minutes prior.

No need to be salty, I'm not forcing you to help me dood.

I'm looking for anons who want to help a retard out and share their wisdom.

Yeah, it's called a search engine.

Its a good radio, really the best bang for the buck. Make sure you have the programming cable, its a bitch to setup a bunch of channels without it. Find some local repeaters. Get another one, do you really want to be the kid with one walkie talkie? For every 1 person talking there are 100 listening. If you dont have a ham licence the guys with licences take it pretty serious (fuck them). If you do jave a licence you are announcing your name and address every time you use your call sign. Alot of guys can reconize voices really well and keep log books, some even record frequencies, especally repeters. If you have any questions let me know.

Also for shtf, they can direction find you pretty easy. A short wave receiver able to pick up transmissions worldwide would be far more useful and interesting

seems pretty gay and not worthwhile then

Appreciate it dood

Honesty they are gay and its not worth it for hobby purposes. I use them for comms in the woods and between atvs. Short to the point info on obscure frequencies. Think walkie talkie with a few mile range. I didnt buy them to shtf larp like op, im just familiar with them and trying to help an autistic user out and not get assraped by the fcc

op here, also planned on using them for innawoods, I'm the cuck who gets to be the test case for whether it's worth it for the other guys to grab them too.

Can confirm autistic but I'm not shtf larping, I'm considering shtf like getting lost or stranded whether it's due to my own retardation or extreme weather etc, nothing like nuclear lesbian zombies taking over the world

Fair enough, just get another one, find some local repeaters and read an online guide on how to use them(offsets etc). Stay off repeter frequencies when just bullshiting with people and have some alternate frequencies programmed, if someone jumps on and says somthing just have a codeword for other channels and switch. Dont be a dick and try to jam shit or they will find you. These guys have no life and duffing someone would be the most excitement they would have in years. You can even get your ham licence (easy test) to learn and just never say your callsign (like me) just dont say your callsign sometimes and sometimes not because like i said before they recognize voices.

Couldn't people just use uhf/vhf jammers to fuck over radio anons?

I own two one for me and one for my other squad I also have a Motorola xts5000 for monitoring OPFOR comms. I also have all the gear to wire ptt for both and I have a two base radios

IDK why it didn't post my pic but here it is

Attached: radios (2).jpg (3380x1902, 1.4M)

Yes, anyone can jam anything. Jaming is very illegal and attracts attention. Commercial jammers are only available to LE, and most jamming would only be on a narrow range of frequencies. A spark gap would fuck alot of shit up ,but would get found pretty fast. The jammer would have to overpower the radios. Also what would be their motovation and what would they be fucking me out of? If it was really a problem a signal strength meter would point right to them. Also the jammer would have to be hard wired or a gen setup since it would be constantly transmitting, the equipment would have to be cooled as well. Theres alot involved.

miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-MenuDef.php

bro you can hook a pos of a 9v to a file and the neg to a wire wrapped around it and drag the tip across the file to make a jammer

Yes a spark gap.... how far do you think it would jam? Could it overpower a 5w radio? 50wm How long can you sit there and do that? Im talking real world, not instrucables crap

idk but I have saw a homemade jammer made with a old school car cell phone some where I have it but cant find it now

> Stop interrupting our important lives, and OPSEC radio chatter
>Cambodian Carpet Weaving Forum
Pick one faggot. And answer the man's questions

There's dozens of slav and chinaman vendors that'll sell jammers up to 800mhz. Still illegal as fuck though.

I believe you, im not saying it cant be done. My point is there is a huge difference between jamming a few frequencies from accross the room to bringing down vhf/uhf over a region large enough to affect anything for a significant period of time. Realistically trying to jam somthing is most likely going to make you a target.

Attached: 1472193565918.png (500x776, 300K)

Attached: 1496882455633.png (816x598, 109K)

Jesus fucking Christ, remember when as long as you asked a reasonably decent question you'd get answers? Now all we have is a bunch of edgy faggots 'telling off' newfags for the upboats.

The best way without building the jammer I cant find the info graph of is to find the channels they are using and open the mic that is why I have the Motorola and the base stations. as for the base you need a large antenna and a lot of power the antenna is easy if SHTF use the power lines and a lot of car batteries

So question now, apologies if this is retarded.

I believe I've tuned my radio to the local university police frequency as noted on radioreference.com. I'm in the section where it allows me to seek for frequencies in the xxx.xxx format, so I'm not on the FM radio. Issue is that I'm receiving nothing, and have been sitting on this frequency for a good half hour so there should have been some chatter, I feel. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to switch somehow the type of signal?

if they could make little CB radios like the baofang the whole CB craze of the 70's would comeback

Attached: 1517866315002.png (1201x565, 247K)

But why though? I understand that you are autistic, so yes you are correct. But it would still be a narrow band, with limited range. You could probably find a betrer use for your time in shtf desu

They are probably digital. Most municipalities are now, still transmit rf but no longer analog. Also most police digital is encrypted

They can make them and they wont because cb sucks

Would fire/ems dispatch also be encrypted or inaccessible? How can I tell which frequencies I can access with this radio?

You can access every frequency in the radios range, but its an analog radio so it wont work with digital transmissions. You just have to fuck around and listen, if you're in an urban area youll prob find some taxi companys

An idiots guide to programming your Baofeng UV-5R radio
hamuniverse.com/w7dtguv5rprogramming.html

Attached: 1551922491516.jpg (576x1024, 89K)

need a lot of power for a CB

Attached: eminem.jpg (560x375, 61K)

Man, what an angry fucking zitface. Kys Dylan

The reason you need alot of power is because the frequencies suck

Nice try FBI

Well, setting it to low and narrow sure ain't wrong. Dont know about the frequencies tho

CB radios - handhelds included - have become incredibly small my dude.
The main reason why the CB craze is over is because of the internet and cellphones

Attached: president_Bill_radio_CB.jpg (1024x577, 89K)

thats not that small and where you going to carry the 6 foot antenna!

it also has a power cord in the back you need a car battery to run it!

Is there a list of legacy analog frequencies for emergency services or weather that I can look up? Seems kind of pointless if most public servant comms are now digital if I can't listen to them but they're still listed as working frequencies

>I'm too stupid to rig 8 AA batteries together
>thats not that small
Yes it is. Thats not an oversize mug. Also handled CB radios are (batteries not included) about the size of a Baofeng
>and where you going to carry the 6 foot antenna!
Even on CB frequencies you can go lower by using Lambda/something antennas that are shorter while giving you the same range you get with a Baofeng's 70cm/2m wavelengths and a longer aftermarket antenna
Dude, its obvious you have never used CB nor gave it a closer look through reading web articles

is right I have the Motorola xts 5000 you cant listen to digital without one

yeah sure key the mic and see how long your battery last. Try it with a car battery and see how long that last....no very

Make sure you have a way to charge it in a car. Otherwise it will not be used very long.

Aus hamfag reporting in.. good little radio. It's worth getting your Amateur Radio licence for the privileges it brings. Local repeater in the 70cm band has echolink enabled. Can hit that repeater from miles out of town. Hook up my portable antenna to it and string the antenna up in a tree and the range increases again... I LARP like a total homo though so make of it as you will. Because ausfag no-guns, I feel ope8r as when I'm rocking my Baofeng with a throat mic and an acoustic earpiece...

Attached: 1552989573749-1820143528.jpg (2048x1536, 1.78M)

Attached: 01-trump.jpg (600x375, 111K)

I pitched this idea on another HAM thread; what if we use a HAM BBS in connection with a PC client that mimics the appearance of Jow Forums. We can probably use existing packet standards, we can just append a string to the front with what thread/board/etc. Your callsign would be your post id. Images would be difficult, but I'm pretty sure we can use UHF bands to share them locally. What do ya'll think?

have fun
radioreference.com/apps/db/

The UV5R is a lot of two way radio for the price of a toaster. From a survivalist point of view the most interesting part is that the set is now ubiquotous worldwide even if the users are the least skilled of the radio user spectrum. So spare parts, originals and knockoffs, will be widely available for a long time. It may be the Toyota Hilux of the radio world.

>implying I haven't already talked about using radioreference

I'm trying to figure out now why none of these frequencies listed on this site work. Every single one is dead, and according to the site I'm accessing frequencies that are being used less than a few feet from me. Literally sat next to a campus cop and checked out all the listed frequencies (updated within a week ago) and didn't get shit

The UV/beofeng series radio can scan, or get a dedicated scanner.

Just because a freq is allocated to a purpose does not mean it’s in constant use. A scanner will tell you what is active and give you a sense of usage patterns.

My local repeaters have regulars that are fairly predictable, but this took awhile (weeks/months) of listening before I knew where to go when.

A constantly transmitting weather station along with knowing transmitting location will provide a receive function check.

Did you set the toneguards for local encrypted channels (like PDs and EMS)?

There's more to it than just tuning to a frequency. There's also a chance that nobody's talking on that channel just then.

you will only hear something if the other side is transmiting when your listening with the monitor button.
depends on the station but some may hardly be used or not strong enough to be herd.
like others have said this is the worst place to learn this.
go watch some vids and come back with a retards level in radio knowledge.

they're $25, it doesn't really matter whether they're shit or not at that price point. They make a pretty good 2-way. Ignore the fuddfags screeching about "muh repeaters", there is no meaningful VHF/UHF traffic outside of cities and the FCC is not going to kill your waifu/dog

They're good but get a goddamn license before you use it and I don't say that because of the law

just keep surfing different channels until you run across one with your areas tactical comms network. it should be pretty busy at all times.

Is there any type of radio setup that could communicate from Detroit area to the Upper Peninsula without utilizing repeaters and such? Basically 400-500mi distance. Don't really care about HAM licensing or anything, because it'd only be for emergency/SHTF use.

My buddy lived in TN for a few years. Even though neither of us really give a fuck about NASCAR we decided to go to Bristol one year. I bought a UV5R+ for each of us, and we were able to listen in on all the driver/pit crew radio chatter. It was pretty cool actually.

They were selling and renting radios at the race, and they wanted like $50-100 just to rent one, and $200-400 to buy.

how about you open that booklet that came with it and fucking read

No

Is it easy for a Baofeng/Chinktech radio to work with traditional (FRS) walkie talkies?

What would you get for shtf

yes, just tune to the frequency.

But thats super illegal.

Bristol speg here, might try that next race. Never thought of it

For baofeng fags, a battery pack that uses removable, rechargable 18650 batteries, basically x4 the battery power in the same size as the stock battery
thingiverse.com/thing:2799874/apps

Attached: jvLLKdm.jpg (3264x1836, 454K)

find out your polices radio frequency and yell nigger nigger nigger. if you do it only once in each random location they will never find you

Attached: 1553012359054.jpg (1024x768, 445K)

I think the utility in jamming shtf would only be on an organized unit that's obviously using it for their maneuver.

From neutralizing an OP when you're on the offense to disintegrating a coordinated attack while in the defense. These scenarios will likely be using unencrypted basic bitch two ways from walmart and thus their freq could be easily identified and jammed.

Not a HAM, but FRS frequencies aren't regulated (and thus, walkie talkies can be used without a license), no?

Don't listen to this fag With good understanding of how to reflect waves you can use a Harris 152 to talk from Poland to Lithuania (we did it, roughly 500mi like you're requesting) . What the civilian equal is I can't help you, but it's a man portable radio.

Baofengs arent part 90 certified, using them on FRS is expressly forbidden and super illegal by the FCC.

>Baofeng with a throat mic and an acoustic earpiece.
dude you made me buy one of those
$2.50 on eBay...Are they any good?

Attached: 98FDDE65-10C7-4008-A9A0-FC8BD8EAD154-563-0000002E0D01AA7F.jpg (670x409, 54K)

Fuck off you stupid faggot, kill yourself

While this is true it doesn't hurt to call these posters a faggot every once and awhile

1. Get the program cable. 2. Put it all your local repeaters. 3. Scan. 4. Enjoy listening to old fags talk about their farts.

I hope to god you're being facetious. Nobody, and I mean abso-fucking-lutely NOBODY cares about baofengs not having little part 90 compliance stickers on them. Just turn the tx power down and you're g2g.

Fuck you
Fuck you
Fuck you
Fuck you
Fuck you

He could have just googled a starter guide fucking faggots the lot of you. You are probably antifa retarded larpers and liberal cunts would explain why you all got so butthurt.

I've got a few Bao questions, hopefully someone can help me:

1) I heard there's a lot of fake antennas out there with big names but chink shit internals. How can I avoid them / where should I buy to avoid copies?
2) Which antenna (brand/model) should I go for? When I google SMA-J there's tons of possible ones and other than "as long as possible" I got no idea
3) Are there rubber sleeves for Baos? Where to get?
4) My headphone/mic combo shat the bed after using five times, also there's tons of cheap chink stuff on the market so what to get?

Thanks guys

1. Something about the lettering on the base of antenna to know its legit.
check plebbit. Jow Forumsamatuerradio and its wiki and Jow Forumsbaofeng. I know >inb4 leddit, its good info
2. Nagoya. Model depends on what freqs you want to tx/rx on.
3. A long time ago user in radio threads user was promising to make a guide on how to waterproof a baofeng easily. Don't know what became of it, check the archives(desustorage). If all else fails just put the thing in sammich baggie with antenna sticking out opening and tightly put rubber around to seal. you get the visualization I hope.
4. Check the headphone general on Jow Forums

Apple should incorporate some kind of ham/cb/fm/am/sw/digital police scanners on their next iPhone

Attached: 1482307094592.png (325x340, 121K)

Everyone i talk to reports my audio as muffled but idgaf... i dont have to listen t it. They can understand me ok, hamfags just like to let you know when they think your audio is not good enough. The el cheapo one i have works very well for what it cost. I also have a lapel mic with the acoustic ear piece and it works well for the concealed/covert carry when you want to carry a radio without everyone taking the piss out of you for carrying a radio. (Are you a policeman/some one important/ what's the radio for?)

They can't even bother to put headphone jacks in

I dont have a plastic printer, you goofus

409shop dot com for starters... they've got heaps of fun stuff for radios. I use them becaus they ship out of Hong Kong and it is close to me what with being an ausfag and all..

I pretty much expect to be insulted here, even if everyone basically agrees with me. It's part of the charm of this place, plus it's a deterrent to faggots.

>I use them becaus they ship out of Hong Kong
But wouldnt that increase my risk again to get cheap chink copies? I'd rather a US based shop that only sells radio stuff
Thanks my neger

Get your HAM license. Its literally free, the learning process will get you up to speed on how to use the radio and its practical applications, and HAMs are absolutely the OG preppers. Its the easiest way to learn and prove you learned it and if you're going to learn coms and radio fundamentals it would be pointless to not go just a little bit further and get the license.

>be Australian
>in the outback
Dood, you already are an operator

>i bought a radio because it was cool
>i'll be so much more capable of a soldier during shtf
>guise how do i use it tho?
just put it in your ozark trail backpack next to your coghlands waterproof matches and the rest will take care of itself

>not understanding shtf means much more than just wartime

i shiggy diggy

It's a HAM radio not an encrypted tactical radio. You'll need an FCC HAM radio license to actually use it unless it's an actual emergency then they might let you slide.

How do you even get one of those?

>I have it programmed to the basic military frequencies
In what universe are military frequencies broadcasted on an open, unencrypted channel?

It's for people who do obviously, but you can order shit printed off of that site.