Guns + Depression

If I have major depression, and have had it for years, is it safe to get a gun?

I have medication, but still experience bad swings on occassion.

Attached: kys.jpg (852x480, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YrtS2_TfbeY
youtu.be/-x9Oep92Tsc
youtu.be/J8fFVOoqepc
rand.org/research/gun-policy/analysis/supplementary/firearm-availability-suicide.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

negatory. It may be your inalienable right, but that does not mean it is safe for you.

Nah come back to the hobby when you find your way to a better place.

Understood. I have had firearms present all of my life, and have constantly had a passion for them, but have never owned them. Now that I have income available and the option is open, I was considering. I don't want to become another statistic but cannot deny the risk.

Youre thenonly one that can answer that question faggot.

If not, go ahead and shoot yourself with a bow

probably not and suicide by gun is usually not quick and painless most of the time some guy blasts off the side of his face gets rescued and looks like a fucking bowl of oatmeal afterwards.

kek, how would I draw that shit back

OP, you're the only one that can answer this question for yourself. However, the fact that you have to ask means probably not. Wait until you're in a better place mentally, or just borrow friends guns when you go shooting with them.

not really, especially since youre asking a vietnamese graffit writing forum

I thought it was a Mongolian carpet weaving forum

I would recommend getting into lifting and martial arts and getting your testosterone levels checked. Don't take this as a put down or anything, low t is actually a very common problem right now, it's not your fault. Low t causes depression in men. Alex Jones is right about the gay frogs. Don't buy his stupid pills though obviously and I recommend against TRT except as a last resort. Try natural ways to increast test first.

I do have low self esteem

I dont know, with your arms maybe?

Attached: E366CFF7-1B82-48DD-9D6C-F2CD0BB05447.jpg (807x454, 53K)

airsoft is a pretty good alternative if you just wanna scratch the itch.

yikes

Fondly enough I do get out for an airsoft game or two here or there. I enjoy the replica world, and have been collecting military surplus for a while.

These blatant bait threads, I dont understand why Jow Forums does this.. does everyone really need the dopamine hit from replies constantly? WTF

Absolutely not. Do the right thing for yourself - don't become a statistic and hurt the gun owning community.

Do:
- rent guns when you want to have fun and are in a safe mental space
- buy airsoft guns or paintball
- Play first person shooters
- learn and educate yourself about guns.
- put aside money you might have spent on guns into a fund that one day might become a gun. this will be your promise to yourself that some day, things will be better.

Get out away from under your parents.
If you are in a bad relationship, end it.
I started whoring around in college trying to put my teen misery behind me.
Knocked one up and got married.
Wasn't until a few years after my divorce till I was truly happy in my mid thirties.
Getting exercise, maybe get hormones checked, lose the losers in your life, learn say no to other people and take care of your own business first, are all good advice.
For the Love of God, Stoner, Browning, and Kalishnikov, don't spill your guts to anyone and mention depression and guns in the same session.
New red flag laws or someone with an anti freedom agenda WILL fuck you over.

Well, knowing you can wreck other guys in a fight definitely helps with that too lel.

>it doesn't matter if you have clinically diagnosed depression, just do these simple life hacks!

youtu.be/YrtS2_TfbeY

Attached: 81C017F6-0A81-464C-9FCE-25C5C8C033CB-304-000001FB8617FCC9.jpg (800x800, 117K)

I thought it was a Somalian basket weaving forum

Have shoved a barrel down my throat a couple of times. Took all my strength to not pull the trigger.

And because it would make mommy sad.

Tasmanian tiger spotting forum

>
>>it doesn't matter if you have clinically diagnosed depression, just do these simple life hacks!

>don't attempt to make the best of your situation or be constructive by utilizing proven strategies for dealing with mental illness

Dumbass.

Attached: received_2200787590207551.jpg (219x219, 10K)

OP here, I agree that while it isn't like my depression is going to go away, the tips are helpful.

I've been pretty severely depressed for quite awhile and have several dozen guns. Every situation is different I guess, but personally, harming myself is something I would never consider.

On a side note though, I'd be very careful who you open up about it to. It's quite easy to freak out the wrong person and get yourself involuntarily committed, which will preclude you from purchasing firearms and will cause a lot of problems on job background checks and things like that.

See how you are off the meds first. No offence to you, but we don't need another SSRi pill head shooting up a kindergarten.

Nah bro, guns and mood swings dont go good together. Lots of suicides are spur of the moment things, you might be feeling like hellnone day and then be fine the next, better to not have the gun on that day you feel like hell. Do yourself and your family and friends a favor and wait until you're positive that you're better

chances of completing a suicide go up tremendously when the person who is suicidal has access to a gun.

>depression means homicidal
Fuck off.
But still agree if OP needs to ask then he should wait.

I'm not depressed but I have had moments of reflection or extreme emotion where I look at the gun on my wall a little too long, if you know what I mean.
I almost immediately snap out of it when I remember what my death would mean to the few people who care about me and the trauma it might inflict on anyone discovering my body.
If you don't have such checks to stop you. I wouldn't get a gun.

>that fucking story of the responder seeing the dude that tried Cobaining himself walking up the basement stairs without his face

Adding to this: I know what real depression and suicidal feelings are from being depressed as a teen.
I've had magnitudes worse catastrophes, ones that I'm too young or most people never have to experience, since then and I haven't been suicidal again. Don't get me wrong I've wanted to die incredibly badly but I firmly believe suicide isnt a solution.

Is it possible to be "suicidal" if you've never hurt yourself? What if you think about suicide everyday and seriously contemplate/plan it at least once a week, sometimes going as far as writing letters and putting a gun to your head? What if you get a "craving" for your own death? Asking for a friend of course.

I was suicidal. I'm from the comment above you. You are describing being actually suicidal to a T. I didn't want pain I just wanted the quickest most painless way out. I only self harmed once.

He said ssri dumbass

I know it's weird to think but I'm on SSRIs and I own more guns than you. I haven't killed anyone yet. Crazy huh?

Make friends, go out hunting with them.
That'll cure your depression bud.

why wouldn't it be?? You've had these feelings, still had access to knives, pills, other forms of killing yourself. I been wanting to kill myself for over a decade, guns just make life just much better.

Have you ever made a detailed plan to kill yourself or attempted suicide? If yes, than no you should not own a gun. If no, then you're probably alright so long as you make sure to talk to a therapist at the first hint that you want to kill yourself.

Underwater Namibian clay sculpting forum

Micronesian interpretive dance forum

Self harming is more closely correlated with a lack of control than suicidal behaviors. People usually cut because they feel that they aren't in control of their lives and that the only control they have is through the pain they inflict upon themselves. Same with bulimia and anorexia. They feel they can only control how much food they eat.

Suicidal people tend to just be "done" with living. They often perform behaviors similar to elderly people or those dying of a terminal illness. They say goodbye to their loved ones and give their things away. Then, they will try to make their death as quick and painless as possible.

Ecuadorian traditional cuisine forum

>It may be your inalienable right
Are you allowed to buy a full auto machine gun and carry it around with you ?

American japanese anime forum
....FUCK thats the real one.

Pangean nazca lines forum

I sold all of mine over two years ago because I was feeling depressed.
Just get rid of them, OP.
Better safe than sorry.

Absolutely continue to surround yourself with energy robbing emotional vampires.
Pills will allow you to remain in a bad situation and continue to taken advantage of....
Where did I say one or the other?
Been on various cocktails of prescriptions myself. They helped me gain the strength to see the truth and move to change my situation.
Depression can be caused by outside stressful influences.
It can also be seemingly spontaneous.
Someone who has no choices and no control over their life understandably could be depressed.
Then you have situations where people at what looks from the outside are living a fairy tale life up and hang themselves.
It obviously an outside cause or life event that pushed them off of the cliff. Their brain changed.
Meds and Professional help still may never completely help a person like that.

I hope OP can work through it.
That research about the male brain not being fully matured until the third decade of life felt that way to me.

>all these faggots telling OP to sacrifice his RIGHT
fuckin hell sure reeks of reddit in here
My suggestion is to get a good roommate or love interest so they can look after you so you don't have to worry about making dumb decisions. If you're really nervous, just buy a gun safe and give them the keys.

being depressed and being suicidal are different things, so long as you're not intending to take for life I don't see an issue but considering you're asking you may lack self control

Ooo that smell.

youtu.be/-x9Oep92Tsc

>Not owning a gun a enjoying the therapeutic routine of cleaning.
Just don't think too hard about it whilst cleaning and you'll be fine

Attached: k feels.png (700x324, 43K)

Hoppe's #9 buzz.
Comfy.

youtu.be/J8fFVOoqepc

Teen angst and depression music thread.

Citation needed.

That doesn't mean you don't have the right retard
Some may try to infringe on them but it's still a right

Attached: citationneeded.jpg (600x600, 38K)

I don’t know OP, I have access to several guns and although I contemplate suicide at times, I still have the good sense to not shoot myself.

yes

To be clear, that user isn't saying having a gun makes you more likely to commit suicide, but rather that being suicidal and having access to guns makes you more likely to actually kill yourself, because suicide by firearm is deadlier than any other method.
rand.org/research/gun-policy/analysis/supplementary/firearm-availability-suicide.html

To answer OP, most suicides are done on impulse. Keeping your guns unloaded and locked in a safe might be enough to deter you from acting on suicidal thoughts long enough for you to calm down.

>is it safe to get a gun?
probably not.
i was going through some bad depression before i got my last job and if i had a gun back then i would've killed myself 100%

good goy

you can't trust yourself with a gun when you're a little sad, trust us instead

Attached: 1547833617369.jpg (270x466, 55K)

Buy an air gun and shoot vermin with it. Eurofags use it as an alternative to owning actual funs

Amen. I hate this weak willed "oh I haven't run my car into a tree at max speed but if I have a gun I won't be able to control myself."

OP you're still a faggot. Go work on your thesis.

These days I'm sure that Fentanyl could be considered deadlier than firearms as there have been more than a couple of failed suicide attempts with a gun.

I read the page you linked to and most of the data sets that the studies relied on were almost twenty years old (I realize though that's probably the only information available).

The five people I know who killed themselves had planned it for months/years. They weren't impulsive acts and alcohol wasn't involved--nor were firearms.