Solid Fuel "Booster" round

Would it be feasible to mold solid fuel to the back of the slug within the copper jacket to act as a mini rocket boost for the round? So the round fires conventionally and a small fuse like "thing" eventually ignites the solid fuel by the time the bullet is just leaving the barrel to continue to accelerate the projectile. Potentially creating a Lvl IV plate killer.

>Thoughts?

Attached: M855A2.png (456x110, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wideopenspaces.com/8-cartridges-highest-fps-speed-pics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Newfag, arty use this kind of shell but not as a rokcet

can you make a rocket nozzle that small that can withstand being fired out of a gun?

You might wanna check the "Gyrojet" shit out.

Nobody here is talking about artillery.

It is less a true rocket nozzle, more so just holes drilled into the copper jacket.

try loading a gyrojet in a sabot and shoot it out of a shotgun.
there is no reason to wait with setting of the gyrojet until it has left the barrel tho.

I'm pretty sure that if you wanted them to be accurate you would need to EDM the holes accurate enough the nozzles wouldn't throw the bullet off course.

It would probably be feasible, but the fact is that the way bullets are right now are because they can punch sheets of brass into bullet casing extremely easy in a manufacturing setting.

I'm in manufacturing so every idea goes through my "how fucking big of a pain in the ass to set up and manufacture this shit would be it" filter.

Also adding to this if you're using solid fuel propellant you're going to have a problem with it burning unevenly which could lead to problems where one jet is putting out more power than others.

Basically your rounds would be ultra expensive to manufacture and nobody would buy them

A: theres no material with energy density to boost it viably
B: arty rounds use "base bleed" to minimize drag created by air whirls

What I'm imagining in my head is to simply mold the solid fuel via compression directly onto the inner slug and then continue the process of wrapping it with the copper jacket, as for the holes for the exhaust. I would envision a huge machine that would have hundreds of rounds placed in such a way so that the bottom of the cartridge is facing up, for there to then be a machine that presses down and punctures holes into all of them at once. Doing them in batches by the hundreds at a time.

As for the uneven burn, there could be a fuze system running through the middle that is set in motion via the cartridge being fired, thus burning the fuel from the inside out.

Solid fuel is a bitch to work with. The key factor is how accurately the block of solid fuel can be cast, which means rather than being stamped, the base of the bullet has to be milled in to get the proper tolerance.

Then you have to find a way to have a cavity in the fuel block to be the initial combustion chamber.

Overall extremely not worth it, just make the casing bigger if you want more oomph.

Still your largest issue is that your power impulse is spread out. So if you shot someone close range with this thing, it wouldn't hardly do anything as its still gaining speed. The greatest thing about regular bullets is that its highest velocity is when it leaves the barell and falls off which makes the bullet infinitely more predictable than a bullet that speeds up and then falls off at a certain point which could be hundreds of feet away from you.

user, i appreciate your creativity but you're obviously out of your depth here. Small arms cartridges are all about how cheap and how many while still being effective. There's no good reason to increase cost 10x for 5-10% more velocity (that's being generous) when you can just design a hotter cartridge with a better penetrator and know that you'll burn barrels out faster. Also, you have no real idea how mass production of something like this would have to be done. Your description would result in horrifyingly inconsistent projectiles meaning any velocity gain would be wasted because of how inaccurate the product would be.

>ITT another person tries to build a functioning Bolter round
Don't, I've tried it and the cost far outweighs the benefit.

they are called basebleed shells and are often used in arty.

He's closer to Rocket Assisted Projectiles, which is the next tier up when base bleed doesn't give enough range.

This bullet is still attached to a conventional cartridge. So it will still have a muzzle velocity of 3,000 FPS (M855A1 out of 20''). The goal of the solid booster is to accelerate it to around something like 3,500-4,000 plus FPS.

Again you're putting a lot of effort and material into a bullet that solves a problem that doesn't exist.

wideopenspaces.com/8-cartridges-highest-fps-speed-pics/

Reminds me alot of this video produced by these women engineers who designed a system to guide your cars towhitch onto a trailer.

Hundreds of dollars of equipment that can fail, for something that my dad taught me to help him with when I was like 7 years old by using hand gestures and telling him left or right and how many inches.

The first question you should ever ask yourself is "am I solving a real problem people have and want fixed" if not just toss the idea as you're wasting brainpower on something thats just going to be a toy, or sold to the government because they spend money on tons of useless shit.

Will this even give any noticeable benefit to velocity? I feel like the acceleration is too small compared to traditional cartridges that it wont even matter at normal ranges.

Then it is less effective, more so fucking useless. Might get a basebleed effect at best.
You need a proper delaval nozzle to add enough thrust to accomplish anything, and that adds too much to the per-round cost to make any kind of sense for small arms.

This is how an engineer thinks. Making something "cool" that doesnt actually do anything useful results in a shit product that no one will buy or use. At the absolute best it will be a niche meme piece of shit like those arrowheads designed to decapitate turkeys. But not a reliable business item

lvl IV armor is a problem and it's not like we're gonna equip troops with tungsten carbide AP rounds, and even though's wouldn't work. Increase the velocity of the round, give it more kinetic energy to fuck the target.

Attached: When you forget to bring your security guards to the banquet.jpg (1600x1278, 420K)

>it's not like we're gonna equip troops with tungsten carbide AP rounds
You mean DU? Tungsten carbide is civvie shit.

>$150 per shot

Still cheaper than a rocket-driven munition that accomplishes what OP wants.

Even then it would be infinitely cheaper to just equip troops with a .50 cal rifle as everything is already developed and battle tested for the last 10 years.

OP I know you are emotionally attached to this idea, but its fucking garbage and you are wasting your time with this. Do you think smarter people haven't had this exact thought and idea before and already decided it was a shit idea?

What you want to invent is basically the equivalent of those gimmick shotgun rounds that cost like 25 dollars for 3 shells that perform worse at the highly niche thing it tries to say its for, and then is outperformed just by standard shells.

Its why I always laugh when people say that the NRA killed "smart" guns.

No. Nobody wants to buy those steaming piles of shit. Why would I want to complicate something that already does its intended function perfectly. There is literally 0 reason to ever buy a smartgun as it will be less reliable, more expensive, and useless if the electronics are damaged.

You ever try and repair a 10 year old washing machine when the mainboard is damaged and you can't find replacements? You just fucking can't so you have to buy a new one.

You mean you want my gun to be as user friendly as a fucking printer is? Fuck that and fuck anybody who thinks smart guns are a good idea besides being something everybody makes fun of you at the range for.