Remington 870

I have never owned a gun before but I decided to get one recently. I figured I would get a shotgun because they seem like the most general purpose, and was looking at this Remington 870. Is this a good choice or am I falling into some kind of trap that I’m not experienced enough to understand

Attached: 81E87D68-BC37-49A5-B5D1-9FA35A99E966.jpg (3264x2448, 2.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

armsunlimited.com/Mossberg-590A1-12-Gauge-Shotgun-w-Ghost-Ring-Sight-p/51771.htm?fbclid=IwAR309_OnpxrW3TiAosP2EeB-zv_Olau7bTgC_uY9mzWd-WDFrgG8BCSpdrc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Go with a Mossberg 500. Remington isn't so good these days.

What's wrong with the Remington?

Nice looking shotgun op. I’d say you could get an older used 870 for cheaper and better quality or like the first post said get a Mossberg 500.

It's part of their express series, so value ended. Single extractor (usually not a problem) non serviceable without replacing the the whole bolt (problem). Some value ended shotgunners don't like the traditional safety (they like Tang safety). If any of the preceeding we're issues to you then obviously Mossberg 500 is your cheap shotgun of choice. 870 express is not a bad gun you could do worse like the Mossberg Maverick or some shit-tier brand.

Remington quality has gone downhill since their acquisition by Freedom Group aka Cerberus Capital. The 870 Express (budget) line has known problems with its finish, machining, and reliability. Most of the problems are fixable with a little work and money. The Wingmaster and Police models are much better made, especially the latter.

Personally I have a Police Magnum from early 2000s and it's a fantastic gun.

More info at www.rem870.com

Attached: 20190316_113306.jpg (1800x716, 501K)

Oh, and
>Model 81197
Patrician choice.

>Single extractor (usually not a problem) non serviceable without replacing the the whole bolt

This is incorrect. The ejector is a pain to replace, but the extractor can be swapped in 15 seconds using a flathead screwdriver.

Thanks, this has been a lot of help

Well la de da, to you too. Just kidding. I had a better experience with the 500 than the 870 express. I had a failure to extract on the Mossberg 10 years of shooting clays. Didn't fix it, bought an 870 express and 2 years later the 870 express was in the same boat. I pulled $50 together and bought three extractors. The Mossberg only needed one changed, quick job. I fiddled longer with the 870 express.

Older 870s are great, new ones are lacking in quality

Don’t ever expect this much useful information from Jow Forums ever again. This thread is the Jow Forums equivalent to winning the lottery

While the current 870's are suspect, the Mossberg 500 is an excellent alternative, I notice the Mossbergs 590s (a big step up from the 500s) are currently on sale.
MOSSBERG 590A1 9-SHOT 12-GAUGE PUMP SHOTGUN W/ XS GHOST RING SIGHTS $425
armsunlimited.com/Mossberg-590A1-12-Gauge-Shotgun-w-Ghost-Ring-Sight-p/51771.htm?fbclid=IwAR309_OnpxrW3TiAosP2EeB-zv_Olau7bTgC_uY9mzWd-WDFrgG8BCSpdrc

QA problems out the wazoo.

Imagine replacing parts the first week after the gun jams on the first shot.
Then, imagine your dad's 870 is in perfect smooth steel condition with thousands more rounds through than yours yet yours has a clearly inferior finish that looks like it's rusting underneath the protective coating.
Don't. Get. New. Remington.

Picked up a new one last year without knowing about the issues on the new 870 Expresses. It was on sale at Cabela's for $280 or $300, I can't remember and my intention on using it is home defense, bird hunting, and deer hunting. I've shot a box of 00 buck and a box of bird through it with zero issue. The military put it into my mindset to clean and lube my gun after shooting so that's what I do and if I don't shoot for awhile I clean it roughly once a month or two. Personally I find it calming to clean it and it really doesn't take a whole lot of time or effort so it doesn't bother me. It is true though, they rust way too easily and I'll probably end up replacing it after I pick up a couple rifles and a handgun.

Given the relative lack of police models on the market at any time, if I want an older blued 870 for boogaloo purposes, is there any reason to start with a base 870 rather than a wingmaster?

is there any reason to look for an old Wingmaster for

The 870 is a meme gun now

M500

An user once compared the bolt in his new Remington 870 with the bolt in my last ditch Arisaka Type 99. The Arisaka was better machined.

>I decided to get one recently
In light of imminent upcoming mass gun confiscation - wrong decision.

That's why I need to get one now before I can't anymore