Iowa and domestic violence charges

I was wondering if Jow Forums could help me out..
If I have a simple assault domestic violence charge from 10 years ago how can I manage to get my liscence in the state of IA to own a firearm?
I recently found out that if you have any domestic charges on your record you are not able to own a firearm, how the fuck is this even legal? the person I have the domestic on is my fucking brother.

Attached: 1234.jpg (353x143, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lawcenter.giffords.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-in-iowa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Having this same issue in IL was convicted in 2013 for battery, was wondering if had any recourse.

I think you're fucked bud. I'm pretty sure any violent crimes will disqualify you

It's a federal law.

Ok, well what about this new law in Missouri?
I dont have any other crimes or charges on my record besides a owi in IL from 12years back.
I cant believe a misdemeanor charge is holding me back from owning a gun again.

That’s what I’ve read but didn’t know if expungements or sealing was an option. Fucked how one tiny shove can get your rights stripped away in the blink of an eye.

Lets say my wife buys the guns and has the liscense, can I go shooting with her? Also can I just go to the range and rent a gun? or use a friends without a liscense?

Yeah I was drunk and shoved a family member into ally charged with a felony aggravated then with time and working with them dropped to a misdemeanor battery. Only trouble I’ve ever been in in my life. Guess it only takes once.

Thats what im saying! My brother and I were charged with domestic simple assault and we both pled to it the next day and were released! Its fucking bullshit! I have already filed expungment request with the governor but I do not believe this will allow me to own a firearm, atleast thats what im being told.

Where do you see that? The permit to acquire says
>Handgun Purchase Permit Requirements: must meet ALL requirements
Applicant Must:

be a citizen, a naturalized citizen or a resident alien;
be a resident of Polk County;
be twenty-one (21) years of age;
provide a valid driver's license or other picture ID with current address provided by the State of Iowa.

Yeah from everything I’ve read here in IL my record can’t be expunged or sealed due to the charge and I’m fucked, I’m assuming my wife can apply but will be denied when she lists me as an occupant of the house. Fucking sucks man.

the law is a federal law that I vbelieve obummer put into place, or his ATF goys did.

>Ok, well what about this new law in Missouri?
"Law-abiding citizens" is the keyword here. If you have so much as a traffic ticket, it doesn't apply to you (except at the discretion of the court).

>when she lists me as an occupant of the house
They will really deny you for that? I thought as long as the person applying was legally allowed they did not bug about the other occupants.

Its actually Iowa law as well.

lawcenter.giffords.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-in-iowa/

That could be the case but I’m pretty sure it asks for other occupants names etc on the application for the state police approval. And also laws forbidding people to even be in the same house as said firearms when they have a DV or similar charge.

>said firearms when they have a DV or similar charge.
Sounds like a grey area. My wife is way too much of a goodie to even do something like this. Im seriously fucking pissed though, how is this even legal?
They shouldnt be holding people who get into fights with family accountable for public safety. I have no other assualts or anything aggressive towards people in public, this was a in my house fight between my brother and i when we were 18, i did not put anyone in public in danger.

Actually the new law's language and the constitutional language is felon, not law abiding.

OP here, well looks like ill just be sitting on the sidelines until this mother fucker burns. My family has plenty of rifles but they are 1hr away from me in a small town.

Yeah, thats what I thought, atleast speaking of the new mizzou law.

I hear ya man. I shoved my sister because she spit in my face, we were on a public sidewalk and she filed against me and then tried to drop them when she knew the shitstorm she got me into but by then the DA picked up the charges to persue me so I was fucked the long way. My wife is considering applying just so we have at least one solid firearm in the home for home defense.

A quick ctrl+f of the text of the law shows 0 instances of the word "felon," and 7 instances of the phrases "law-abiding citizen" and "law-abiding Missourian."

Assuming you are not disqualified by your state. You would need to petition the United States Attorney General for restoration. The ATF used to have authority to grant waivers, but no more.

Yeah, but one of those instances is part of this paragraph:
>For the purposes ofsections 1.410 to 1.485, the term "law-abiding citizen" shall mean a person who is not otherwise precluded under state law from possessing a firearm and shall not be construed to include anyone who is not legally present in the United States or the state of Missouri

Money and a lawyer. Get it expunged but the governor will have to do it with firearms rights restored. It will still be on your record but will be sealed

Does this apply is IL as well? Not OP btw but have the exact same situation going on.

Maybe think next time before you go getting violent, psycho.

>Jow Forums is full of domestic abusers
well color me shocked

Domestic abusers who are mad that they can't have firearms...

See a lawyer about getting it expunged from your record.

There is no liscense.

I feel for you guys... kind of

Yes, we all make mistakes and do stupid things as we grow up and wise up. When I was 18 I got caught smoking pot, and then when I was 25 I was walking home from dart league (so I didn't drunk drive), was about to piss my pants, pissed in an alley, and just then cops rolled by. Got a disorderly conduct citation. Both the weed thing and disorderly got dropped, one of those you get 6month probation - don't fuck up anything else and we'll drop it.

But you see, my dumb things were not violent against another person. You can see the concern when your dumb mistake involves violence. How do they know that the one other time you screw up and make a mistake, is not going to be violence and this time with a gun?

Quite frankly I'm not at all sorry for OP. The law is doing exactly what it was intended to do.

Dumbass how could you not know something that is natuonally wideslread. Its part of nics. You never heard of that shitball journalist who set out to write an article about how easy it was to buy a gun and his nics turned up some dui shit as well as domestic violence kek. Obviously he didnt get the gun somehow he still managed to talk shit.

Tell me she somehow tried to apologize or is still trying? How long ago was this? Do you even still talk to her?

Read the thread dipshit

no. You have been convicted of domestic violence and you are now a prohibited person. Can't own guns, can't hold guns, can't rent guns. You can play with black powder though.

For the purpose of domestic violence and federal law, domestic violence by definition according to the ((Lautenberg Amendment)) defines it as a use of force against a current or former spouse, or parent against a child. For NICS check, if you got a DV charge for beating up your dad or sibling, it technically does not apply, as it does not fall into the very specific definition of what the Feds consider domestic violence, therefore you could legally answer "no" on NICS. State law, it seems, in Iowa, is what makes this a pain in the dick, as it seems you may need a pardon. I say ask a lawyer who specifically deals w gun law and rights restoration. Or move to a less gay state.

Maybe ask a real lawyer instead of some poorly informed internet fucknuggets.

That law has been around for decades

Did you try not to hit people that share your life, you fucking degenerate?

You don't deserve a slingshot.