Hi Jow Forums, I have a question

Hi Jow Forums, I have a question.

I really love cleaning guns - I'm extremely malicious and a little OCD about it (not diagnosed, I just love to clean guns). I have a lot of tools, oils, and safe chemicals I use to clean guns, it's my meditation. I wholeheartedly enjoy cleaning them, and recently I was considering doing it as a part-time hobby that I can possibly monetize off of.

Is there a market for this? Do people/businesses want their firearms maliciously cleaned by someone else? I'm just not sure if this if even a thing, so I wanted to gather your thoughts. By "clean" I mean a through cleaning, polishing, oiling, the works - it usually takes me 1+ hour minimum for "small" arms and for "long" guns it can take 2+ hours, especially if the firearm has any wooden parts on it, those require special attention, getting underneath the wooden parts and putting a nice finish on the wood takes time, I have to break the entire gun down, including the trigger assembly - nothing goes unchecked.

I might get shit for posting this, but It's been on my mind for a while and I figure I'll ask anyway. Thanks in advance

Attached: 654984654984.png (435x586, 634K)

Sporting good stores offer gun cleaning as a service, so someone must be buying it.

Only question I can think of is would you need to legally transfer the firearms to clean them? If you're clear in that regard, I'd put up a business card at any LGS in the area. Maybe put some craigslists ads up every month.

Probably not, modern firearms dont need to be meticously cleaned
but if your capable of hand polishing steel like your pic, people will pay several hundred

>is there a market for this
yes and no. There's a market for a gunsmith to restore old firearms and maintain the historicity, but just straight up deep clean? not usually from a sole proprietor. Most ranges offer that service, almost every gun store does that service, but trying to do it as a side gig will need some seriously good marketing.

Not a bad idea, and good observation...I might actually start doing that (business cards, cragis).

The legality of it though is def a grey area for someone like me, I'll go to my LGS tomorrow and ask directly, they know me very well.

Wow, I can do this in 1-2 hours, very easily, these type of handguns are the easiest for me to polish, I can make it blind you in the sun.

I think $100 is way to steep for that type of work, but maybe I'm just biased.

It's easily over $250 for a normal polishing, let alone super mirror finish.

You have inspired me, I didn't know this...that's exactly what I'm good at - polishing to the point where it basically blinds you. I've done it so long (7 years isn't very long but you get it), so it doesn't take me much time anymore.

Thanks user.

Best of luck. It's always good to do something you're good at and like and get paid for it.

Truer words could not be spoken.

I can barely sharpen knives so I would be terrified if I had to polish someone else's gun.
But if you want to get a customer base, I would put flyers around gun ranges and create business cards to leave at FFLs, maybe even give them a 10% cut of the profits

Sharpening knives is excellent, especially a kitchen knife you use daily - you want a that sucker as sharp as ever, dull knives suck - you just need to correct whetstones, but they can cost thousands of dollars sometimes.

I hear you though, I'm sending those out tomorrow for sure (business cards), I'm designing a business card as we speak, should only take 4 hours, pulling another all nigher to make this happen. Good idea about giving them a cut.

Smart.

Fuuuck, I wish I had someone like you around where I live.

>malicious
If this wasn't Jow Forums, I would be sure your meant meticulous.

Sounds strange, but where do you live...

Indeed. Sometimes auto-correct gets the best of me.

>I really love cleaning guns - I'm extremely malicious and a little OCD about it

Attached: 1553035785163.jpg (693x800, 59K)

Vegas

I would even offer a service called "winterizing". You are already doing it anyways but it sort of has the optic of "Hunting season is 2 months long and my gun needs to be stripped, cleaned, and oiled for next season". That's just me though but it's what I do to my motorcycles and winterizing has sort of a familiar sound to it.

I just thought of something else. I can't word it correctly but I would market also to females who CC but you have to make it so it doesn't sound condescending "Ladies special because you're to stupid to clean it"

What compounds are you using? Have an old 686 I'm trying to mirror shine...

>I can't word it correctly but I would market also to females who CC but you have to make it so it doesn't sound condescending "Ladies special because you're to stupid to clean it"

Billy Joe Cletus's Feminist Gun Cleaning Service. Because, sometimes, a man should do the cleaning.

>Because, sometimes, a man should do the cleaning.
It's actually not that bad. I was just getting at don't target to just men. You could even throw in a BB kid gun cleaning for free. (something easy like a wipe down, and running something oily down the barrel)

Flitz polish, a clean cotton t-shirt, and some Q-tips, along with a nice Dremel rotary tool. I wish I could do it for you to be honest, I love servicing those.

Spotless.

Too far user, I'm east coast. If I was near you I'd ask for your details haha

I'm going to bed guys, it's 4 am - I hope this thread is up when I wake up in 5 hours.

Thank you to everyone for the advice/response, really means a lot. This board is so kind.

Attached: 656516198.png (712x534, 1.07M)

beautifully done

>дддддд no got to throw up

To be honest, OP, I have a custom-made side-by-side shotgun and, while I like it to be meticulously maintained and cleaned, I wouldn't trust it to another person. Well-meaning but ill-0informed actions could completely fuck up the hand-rubbed oil then wax finish on the stock, or take off the colour-hardening

If you do it with the barrel of SA make sure you don't ruin them. I bet you already did your research on that. Have fun user : )

Attached: 31D.jpg (628x502, 68K)

Yeah, that's doable. Every gunsmith I've ever done business with offers cleaning services. And that's to say nothing about a high-end service like you might offer.