Submachine Guns, Still Relevant?

Are Submachine Guns (SMGs) still relevant or useful for anything? Are there any possible scenarios where they would be the preferred weapon of choice over a semi-auto rifle or even a pistol? I notice that many operators prefer to carry short barreled rifles nowadays for close quarters rather than an SMG.

Attached: mp5_2.jpg (1000x538, 28K)

Potentially where your carry requirements can get to an mp5k but not an AR pistol.
For almost all situations a 5.56 will shoot as lightly as a 9mm sub gun and perform better terminally.
Suppressors work better with heavy rounds but 300 BLK is for that.

they are very compact, have relatively little muzzle blast and noise, and fire a common caliber

as long as your enemy isnt armored, and most arent, they provide a great increase in firepower over handguns while still retaining a very short profile

For mass shootings and terrorism on civilian groups. :^)

An SBR/AR pistol does everything an SMG can at this point.

The recent designs are a solid Yes, they provide a higher capacity and are lighter than shortened rifles. The service pistol caliber SMGs are pretty much obsolete from a military point of view, but they still kill people dead. The smaller specialized cartridges like the P90 and PM7 do provide a specialized role of penetrating soft armor.
Except be compact.

Attached: p90 is better.jpg (443x331, 30K)

Not enough of a difference in size to matter.

Fuck yeah. I can think of a lot of scenarios where a full burst could save your ass.
>I notice that many operators prefer to carry short barreled rifles nowadays for close quarters rather than an SMG
That's only because they are overcompensating due to full auto bans.

I disagree, here is another example though.
Have a fully collapsing or folding stock.

Attached: m1 SMG.jpg (614x335, 47K)

Now that we have rapid burning powders and spritzer bullets of 30 Cal that work in the same package size, no. No they're not. But are they sexy as all hell, and should we keep using them? Yes. Yes we should.

Attached: 1525288372127.jpg (960x539, 67K)

>attempting to refute size argument
>posts fuckhuge M1
>not a kawaii pocket rocket like a MAC-11 or micro uzi where the concealment argument actually works

???

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (640x480, 47K)

Cost is always a factor, just not as important now since military spending is huge

I'd say that there's definitely a couple of niches that subguns still fill. Off the top of my head, I'd say either when you want something really really quiet or want to be able to pack something more than a pistol into a rather small package like a book bag. Both these scenarios would be when you're not expecting to fight someone with body armor.
A 9mm with subsonic rounds will always be able to offer a smaller profile than an sbr in .556 or .300blk if that's what you need. Less muzzle blast and gasses in your face. Bonus points if you can adapt your pistol mag into your smg.
It's all about what you want to do and finding the tool to fit that problem.

not a mac-11

>walks into the club and slaps your MP5 gf's charging handle

Attached: SIG-RATTLER.jpg (1260x840, 356K)

So I get to have a threesome with an MP5 and an MPX?

Why is this bad? A girl walkin into the club and slapping my GFs ass can be in the middle anyday. I'm down as fuck to metaphorically dual wield that shit

Naw, the Chad Rattler MCX gets to tag team your MP5 gf with a Q Honey Badger while you masturbate your little pistol caliber peen from afar and cry

all guns are female you strange cuck

I dunno what you're talking about, you're the one getting cucked in this scenario

yeah but I wanted to post something with a foregrip because foregrips on MACs and their ilk are cool

>MP5 a grill
>galil chan a grill
>MCX somehow has a dick
what is this autism?

Wait where did Galil-chan come from? Rattler-chan being a male makes sense given the context of your gf's ass being slapped in the club

goddamn this board truly is weaponized autism

I was making a joke about rattler-chan being a gay/bi girl and you flipped it around into a weird cuck thing, so you tell me

Attached: 15995439_1171864262849956_1222683851_n.jpg (542x640, 50K)

man, I remember a time when motorcycle cops in my city carried mp5's. Now they all have m1's r whatever the fuck they are

Attached: wut.jpg (250x203, 5K)

I don’t know if concealment was what he was caring about, clearing rooms and the like is much easier with something maneuverable that doesn’t bang around on doorways

>Are Submachine Guns (SMGs) still relevant or useful for anything?
>can carry a lot more ammo than 5.56
I think they would serve well at killing muslim immigrants in Europe en-masse, should civil war take place.

Hey

I'm not a cuck ;_;

Full auto subsonic without the cost and general faggotry of .300 memeout. They still have a place.

Ar is a much better platform for that, my commie scum friend.

And the thread fails right here.

they fill a good niche in between a rifle and pistol; not as much risk of over penetration with the correct loadings, easier to use more accurately than a pistol (although red dots and stuff like the USW seem to be blurring that line) can usually get more compact than a rifle and still be effective.

The tradeoff is that body armor that will get beat hands down by a rifle is designed around stopping sub guns in the first place. The whole "PDW" niche is basically trying to get the best of both worlds; the recoil, weight, size, and extra ammo carrying (for weight) of a subgun, without losing TOO much armor defeat ability. I personally think that stuff like the MP7, P90, and MCX VSBRs are going to evolve to create a second generation of PDW. Probably something offering Pistol caliber level recoil but much closer to rifle level armor defeat, in a smaller but close range oriented package when compared to something like a MK18.

Also, part of the reason folks who operate carry SBRs is because it's logistically easier, requires no real retraining, and they can use the same equipment as normal, more or less. The real role subguns used to fill was that previous generations of SBRs had both ballistics and reliability issues, broadly speaking. M855 icepicks badly out of SBRs, and early SBRs had huge problems with gassing and overgassing. Early chopped rifles, before they really got stuff like gas port size and tube length on AR15 type rifles for example, had a lot of growing pains, hence stuff like the old Colt Moderator. In other words, it's not so much that SMGs are obsolete as it is that the role they were filling, for military purposes, is better suited to an SBR in the first place, there was just a lot of trouble finding one that was up to par for the job. I think that for police use against non-body armor wearing subjects, an SMG is still highly viable and possibly even preferable due to bystander considerations, dependent on ammunition.

Why does this topic get regurgitated so often?

Attached: young-bored-woman-watching-tv-sitting-on-sofa-at-home_v1ehbf8qzx__F0000.png (1920x1080, 1.68M)

If you look at the type of SMG's that were used in WW2, they weren't really lightweight or compact at all. The M3A1 weighed 8 pounds, empty. Same with the MP40 and PPSh-41.

If you're going as lightweight as possible, the difference in weight for pistol caliber rounds vs 5.56 can add up if you're running multiple mags on your kit. Also the magazines themselves can have a slimmer profile.