Guns in schools essay

For my writing class, our topic was whether we support guns in schools or not. I basically said that I think as student should have the right to CC if they really felt they needed to, but schools shouldn't actively push and encourage kids to if they don't want to. Anyways, my professor sent me a message saying this, any thoughts?

Attached: essay.png (804x123, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

texastribune.org/2018/08/16/appeals-court-rejects-texas-campus-carry-lawsuit/
justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>a teacher has the right to feel safe
nowhere in the constitution does it express a right for anyone to feel anythibg. you have a right to keep and bear arms, and an implicit right to defend yourself with them. regardless of where you are or how it makes people feel

that said though, your prof is a pussy but he wasn’t a jag about disagreeing with you, and his advice on your writing would probably be effective

MUH FEELS

Your teacher is female

children in public schools should not carry firearms
adults in college are not entitled to exercise their rights on school property

fite me

I really don't care. He's entitled to his opinion on the matter. That said the only thing I don't like is his interpretation of being owed more rights than anyone else. I could understand the concern of teachers who have to fail kids and hand back failed assignments. To suggest, though, that they should be bestowed more rights makes me a little upset. That's about all the time or thought I'll give it.

You have no constitutionally guaranteed right to "feel safe." You have a constitutionally guaranteed right to protect your own safety, however.
Even if one did have such a right, one person's right does not trump another person's right just because the former may experience greater risk due to his profession.

>I have greater right
Time to drop the class, user.

Attached: thumb_obi-wan-dont-try-it-anakin-i-have-the-high-ground-38132137.png (200x268, 31K)

>I have a greater right because I have to reveal bad news often

Why in the everliving fuck does this twat think they have greater rights than any other citizen for literally any reason, are equal rights a foreign concept to this idiot?

>writing class
>prof writes like this
Jesus christ, what shithole school are you attending and why are you still waiting your money on tuition?

It's far too late in the semester to drop.

>You have a constitutionally guaranteed right to protect your own safety, however.

no you don't. The 2nd amendment exists to protect the "security of a free state", that being to fight either against a foreign invader or against a local oppressor (ambiguous). It makes no implication about safety.

The supreme court ruled in DC vs Heller that the second amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense

Take the withdraw "W" bro. You don't need this shit.

he has no legal right to be safe let alone feel safe.

The funny thing is it should actually be up to the school to allow guns or not because state schools shouldn't exist, they should all be private.

Based and redpilled.

no, I don’t want have to pay the VA back and I don’t want an F

> a teacher has the right to feel safe
Not according to the Texas SCOTUS or the 5th Circuit Court they don't.

texastribune.org/2018/08/16/appeals-court-rejects-texas-campus-carry-lawsuit/

he was so polite because he's worried op might shoot him

The 2nd amendement has absolutely nothing to do with self defense any more than it has to do with the national guard.

security of a free state means that a person is able to bear a firearm to protect himself, other AND being able to provide security in a free state

> The 2nd amendement has absolutely nothing to do with self defense
I mean, if you want to ignore the droves of English common law and historical precedent that led to them including it, sure.

>youre only allowed to own them
you have a right to keep and bear them because you have a right to use them to defend yourself against nigs and governments you brainlet

a withdrawal isn't an "F" are you outside the time window for it? i used to shuffle around a bunch, if i took the same course with another prof it didn't even pop up as a "W"

Is English his first language? Because this is terribly worded.

It’s a she

>the right of the people to keep and bear arms
>people to keep and bear arms
>keep and bear arms
>bear arms
>bear arms
>bear arms
Are you sure it doesn't allow you to use them?

>I have a greater right because I have to reveal bad news often

What the fuck sort of logic is this? Where is he even trying to come from?

Oh I don’t know, I feel like it’s too far in the semester. Either way i’d owe the VA.
Yeah I think it is. Maybe she wrote like that because it was a comment on a submission? I don’t know

Listen you can own them and use them....just not for self defense OK?!???!?!?!??!?!!??!?!?!

DC vs Heller. Also for more context from the period it was written, take a look at the individual constitutions of the states that ratified the national one. They mention the right to bear arms being an individual right and some specifically mention to protect life, family, and property.

>adults in college are not entitled to exercise their rights on school property
Fuck off you absolute boomer nigger faggot kike. Colleges are almost all publicly funded in some way, they should never be allowed to restrict rights.

OP here

I need 2 more sources for my final copy supporting my argument.

Any ideas?

How fucking ignorant of the founding fathers and constitution do you have to be to type out such a retarded sentence? Read a book sometime.

My personal belief is that if any individual or institution wants to take away the ability to defend myself with a weapon then they must take on that responsibility on my behalf by way of trained security guards or other employees.

In general teachers should be the primary people using CCWs on campus. I think CCW for students is fine when you get to the college level, but is a bit iffy for highschool students as you have a mix of people both of age and not. I think 21 is the required age for CCW in my state so that wouldn't be an issue here.

No, there's a period of time that lets you withdraw from a class in which that withdrawal does not reflect on your transcript. Then there is a time period in which you can withdraw, but that is recorded on your transcript. After that point you are no longer able to withdraw and you either receive an incomplete or F. Just suck it up, Sally and deal with it. Stop being a bitch. I have different opinions with many of my teachers and you'll have disagreements with your employers, coworkers, and customers throughout your life. Learn to deal with it in an adult and healthy manner.

1. SHALL
2. NOT

>My personal belief is that if any individual or institution wants to take away the ability to defend myself with a weapon then they must take on that responsibility on my behalf by way of trained security guards or other employees.
This is the most brainlet-tier thinking of all fucking time. Stop trusting others (especially fucking companies and governments) to provide safety for you. Your safety and well-being are squarely your responsibility and you should not ever want to or allow others to remove that responsibility, even if they make some commitment to provide the safety themselves.

Attached: UnarmedMen.png (661x496, 302K)

Most colleges and unis have Campus Police.

>teachers should CC
even if that was legal the far far majority of teachers wouldn’t.

If you accept DC v Heller, you accept all of the limitations it expresses and the 2A case law upon which it is predicated.

Sure you wanna do that?

So, you use rhetorical questions.. that's worth a fail desu

French Declaration of Rights of Man and Citizen
To paraphrase
>the most sacred right, is the right to resist oppression

Alternatively
justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

buddy i'm just arguing what the legal ruling is, what the legal law of the land is. I'm not making judgement on those laws.

its a dope phioshopy tho.
you just dont get it.
aka pat me down and disarm me at the door or im fucking bringing my gun.
make it an even playing field.

But really, since I'm also a university teacher, I'm not surprised by her poor standard of writing. I work alongside professors with PhDs and their emails are absolutely evidence that they paid a lot of money to have their writing edited prior to submission.

Have you cited the Virginia Constitution, which is directly where the language used in the second amendment came from.

>If you accept DC v Heller, you accept all of the limitations
Hey, bro. I can agree with with Scalia's scholarship on the phrasing of the 2nd, as well as the legal precedent within English law for it, without agreeing that US v Miller made any sense at all.

Get that false equivalency bullshit out of here. Just because you read Hobbes's Leviathan doesn't mean you bought it, hook, line, and sinker.

>Virginia constitution
This is a good idea desu. Seeing as how I go to college in Virginia

NZ fed detected

you should also look at Federalist Paper 46, which explicitly enumerates what Madison intended the role of the armed public to be: i.e., an explicit check on tyranny from the government and the state

So did OP write this gibberish or was it his teacher?

George Mason is top tier my man
I would definitely make my argument revolve more around the principles and ideals of the Enlightenment
But you do you

>its a dope phioshopy tho.
no, a dope philosophy would be "fuck you I'm carrying, you'll just never know about it" or "fuck you I will take my business elsewhere" if that fails.
Your philosophy is "I'm fine being disarmed and forced to be a victim as long as there's the illusion of security." Have fun being helpless when the one armed security guard the school hires gets domed first and then it's free-for-all in a soft-target-rich environment.

God bless the Republic of Texas a/k/a Northern Mexico

Federalist 20 is also great for this:
>If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
t. Hamilton

Ok
I don’t go to GMU desu
That really was my professor

So tyranny should exist in school and on school grounds?
Interesting, are you a tyrant?
If not what force do you recommend for given tyrants pause if not a gun.

*29 sorry
29 Also explicitly says that the "militia" is not formal and does not need specific training or organization to qualify, and in fact is the informal representation of the armed public

How can I use this for a personal defense argument? The assignment is specifically to argue if guns should be allowed in schools or not

your rights end where someone elses begin.
in your world you have all of the rights.

Bro, stop. It's not their job to write your paper. You're no good to the cause if you just parrot what other people say without doing some critical thinking and sythesis of your own.

Take the links provided here as sources. Read them, decide if you can use them, discard those that you cannot. Do the work.

What other reason should guns be on campus other than self defense?

>your rights end where someone elses begin.
What does that have to do with allowing yourself to be willingly disarmed? The right to bear arms is guaranteed which means that you have the right to carry and gun and defend yourself with it. There is no right to not be around guns, which is what you're implying. There is also no right to be able to disarm people. My rights don't end at someone's feelings about guns.
>in your world you have all of the rights
I have all the rights recognized by the constitution and, by proxy, the law. Stepping onto a college campus doesn't suddenly nullify those rights.

There's a CDC study that basically says more lives are saved by firearms through self defense than harmed through criminal violence.

Uhhh
George Mason is the author of the Virginia Constitution

I am doing the work
Not government tyranny

You really cant make the argument that resisting government is just a branch of the right to resist oppression?

Shit man I think you should change schools.

Ohhh right lol. I just saw George Mason and of made me instantly think of the Uni. I’m stupid
I don’t think that’s related to this tho
I thought this was a good college

Not sure why we continue to have this debate. Males age 17-45 are part of the unorganized militia according to the US code. Most states have their own unorganized militia laws on the books. 16-55 years of age in my home state, Virginia. These folks have the absolute, inalienable right to bear arms. There is no debate.

Attached: 1533850978174.jpg (468x895, 216K)

>I have to reveal bad news often
Ask her how she would handle a 300lb gorilla enraged that she cost him an athletic scholarship.

>Those who are willing to trade liberty for freedom deserve neither

>A teacher has the right to feel safe
You don't have the right to feel things. My constitutional right to bear arms trumps your feelings.
>I have greater right
No one has greater rights than anyone else you self-important cunt, that's why they're rights.

Attached: 1544998613022.jpg (640x750, 63K)

>no one has greater rights than anyone else you self-important cunt
This, everyone is equal under the law

Attached: renbgjgh.jpg (645x729, 57K)

>in your world you have all of the rights
that world is called America, you commie shitstain.

You're based and your teacher is a bit of a cuck. At least they respected your ability and offered their opposing view in a way that wasn't just having you ejected or failing or whatever. This is good. You can engage them and learn from each other. That's how progress is made. Personally I'd point out absolutely nothing is stopping a motivated individual from finding a weapon (firearm or not) and turning it on the teacher over "bad news" already.

this. when I was a senior in high school our English final was a persuasive essay on a controversial topic. I picked gun control and banged out a 20 page booklet on how fucking retarded libs and gun control laws are. She gave me an F, needless to say.

>Stepping onto a college campus doesn't suddenly nullify those rights
Incorrect. Your rights are limitations on government. They have little bearing on private citizens/orgs or their property.

If I say "dont step on my property with that gun" and you do it anyway, I can fuck your shit up. Likewise, if your college/employer says "no guns allowed on campus/in office," there are no goddamned guns allowed.

Obviously, there is more nuance to this especially for public schools, but the principle that you are allowed to make your own rules on your own property and in the conduct of your own business is just as important as the right to resist oppression. When you submit to the domain of another entity, you agree to their terms, thus their rights take priority.

Don't fucking drop the course. I had a shit teacher for my public speaking class. Looked like Sarah Jessica Parker and had some opinions that I strongly disagreed with. Just suck it up and get your credits. You dropping the class only sets you back time and money.

Read The Federalist Papers and then read the Constitution. That should unfuck your brain.

Get back to consuming corn syrup, you filthy debt-slave.

Honestly this.... 2a wasnt even an issue of contention among the crazy drag out fights they had about EVERYTHING ELSE in op-eds etc. Shows you how much everyone at the time legitimately though "oh well, yeah, of fucking course" about personal armament.

Maybe the teacher should cc to feel safe??

That was my first thought user.
OP, you need to pick a better school. This is completely unsatisfactory.

Attached: 1425324472893.png (624x480, 271K)

>are equal rights a foreign concept to this idiot?
They are to a lot of people because of entitlement and feeling like the center of the universe

Attached: 1518820271255.jpg (3012x1728, 1.06M)

I was allowed to carry at my state university. There was never an incident (school was mostly white by a large margin). It made sense to me, because only private schools would have any legitimate argument for that kind of regulation.

I pretty much did say that. I said how right now it’s already forbidden for students to carry guns on campus, so what really changes? What, just a handle of students would start CCing, which nobody would even know since it’s CC..

Attached: disgusted_darkie.png (500x500, 179K)

>I have greater right

Rhetorical questions are not a very effective way to make an argument. Your argument should raise and address the questions that are germane to the topic.

Attached: 1553072846953m.jpg (1024x772, 73K)

By extension, it applies.

great argument

>what is life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness

>private citizens/orgs or their property.
>school that takes millions in state money and pays no taxes