Night Vision

Can someone redpill me on NV. Is there anything worth it under 300$? Scope or googles? Is there some way to get something that is cheep but good enough or mod something?

Attached: d968f57bf160482ecd1615851c1f33f3[1].jpg (1024x686, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pBvA_gxjuOg
youtube.com/watch?v=uf4bQGz2Id4
willsoptics.com/product/l-3-gpnvg-18-anvis/
youtu.be/ZcSM6IxkX2A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Real-deal night vision is like $6000 and it sucks pretty hard. Commercial shit is $300, you can find it for cheaper, but you get roughly what you pay for.

t. user who works on Night Vision for a living

Also, be careful what you buy. Communist bullshit can be had for comparatively low prices, but it'll fuck up your eyes. What exactly are you trying to use it for?

short answer: No
long answer: FUCK no

>Is there anything worth it under 300$
Not really but that depends on your usage. Sub $1000 units are fine for observing game at night with an IR illuminator, but not much else. They're not at all suited for "tactical" uses. If it's not a clear night with a full moon in an open area, you're totally dependent on an ir illuminator. Even then clarity is shit.
>cheap but good enough
Again, good enough for what? The cheapest way to get a unit that's actually practical for most uses including hunting is to find a used Gen 2 PVS-7. You can also part one together with a Gen 3 MX-10130 tube off of ebay. You'll likely end up in the $1000-1500 range. If you search long and hard, you may be able to find an MX-10160 or MX-11769 and build a PVS-14 that's REALLY functional for $1500-1800.

Pic related. A brand new blem ITT Omni VII MX-11769 I ganked for $1000. Waiting on the parts kit to arrive. Should be smoking yotes by next weekend.

Attached: Screenshot_20190320-180554.jpg (926x737, 256K)

>under $300 dollars
Jesus Christ dude just get a flashlight

Another limitation I didn't mention about the cheap commercial gen 1 shit, is image distortion. Most of them have an extreme fish eye lens effect and a shitty field of view. It may not effect you when you're stationary but it can be pretty disorienting when you're moving.

I have flashlights.

Something to look around without illuminating everything. Most lights with good range have low flood so it is kind of hard to spot something.

Op, buy a armasight spark. It's the cheapest decent nv and under $500. Save up a grand and get gen 2 from both armasight and older atn units. Maybe even find a Pvs7 for around $1,500 that's gen 3.

Nods isn't something that's cheap. If it's cheap, it's not good. If it's good, it's not cheap.

As others have said already you aren't going to get anything that'll be good for navigation without an illuminator.
However if you simply want a device for detection of critters and such at night there is surprisingly good thermals on the market for $600.

How did you enter that field of work?

probably EE

If price isn't a factor, what is Jow Forums's opinion of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=pBvA_gxjuOg

If it works, that's legitimately an enormous game-changer, to the point where I could easily imagine something like that being standard-issue to police forces and specialized infantry across the world.
I've got a feeling that it's a bit too good to be true, though.

(checked)
The army has their own version. Both are available to civilians. Which one is better?
youtube.com/watch?v=uf4bQGz2Id4

Glad I’m not the only NVG fixer around here
save up for a PVS-14 it’s a great starter and can do almost anything

t. 94f in the US Army

Attached: 8BC237C5-AB83-43D9-8A07-4504CF6DA39F.jpg (597x643, 75K)

What's Jow Forums's opinion on the Sionyx Aurora?
Is the future of night vision all digital?

Attached: sionyx-aurora-night-vision-action-cam-3.jpg (750x500, 219K)

Best NVGs I can larp with under 10k?

You can larp with a couple toilet tubes taped together, user.

Why does flir cost so much? Are they just Jews Jewing the military and consumer since it appears that the military is willing to pay 10 grand for toilet covers? Like I can’t imagaine the manufacturing cost being more than 500$ yet it costs 12 grand or more to buy.

Buy a Torrey Pines T12

don't be a poorfag, dual gen 3 or bust.

Attached: don't be a poorfag.png (800x600, 623K)

Tim is that you ...

Military, then connections/expertise. Don't be an idiot, do your time, make friends, get out, get hired.

Alternatively, you can get a degree and try to squeeze your way into a company like EOTech or ITT, but couldn't tell you how to go about that.

dog shit resolution
t. I have one

Attached: mw2.jpg (1248x837, 75K)

I had these as a kid and they genuinely weren't that bad. Not a whole lot worse than the piece of shit PSV-14 the mil gives

Get gen 3 or bust

Pvs-7s go for around $1000 and pvs-14s can be had for as low as $1500

Anything less is going to be almost if not more of a detriment than your eyes natural nightvision because of the eyestrain and heavily decreased field of view.

Not really practical just yet as a dedicated nvg. Battery life is terrible (about an hour and a half) low light preformace is terrible and on par with gen 1. The lag through the camera is also pretty bad and can't really be helmet mounted. Can be used as a way to film in darker conditions though for relatively cheap. Sionyx does have a lot of potential for competitive and interesting future products though because they have yet to bring their black silicon image sensors to the consumer market.

Attached: IMG_20190228_232559_562.jpg (3024x3417, 1.31M)

Why are these restricted to government sales?

Attached: NV.L3.005-2.jpg (300x191, 26K)

This makes my brain hurt

Of course it has dogshit resolution, it's ~$600

I've seen these on ebay a few times. Spending down payment money to get ultra gucci larp gear seems excessive even for the richest gear queers.

The Spark doesn’t exist anymore.

They aren't but but most places act like they are.

No letterhead required from this store
willsoptics.com/product/l-3-gpnvg-18-anvis/

I've got a stupid little monocular that cost $100, gen 1.5. It's actually ok for watching deer fuck at night but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I definitely wouldn't say the resolution is dogshit and it's not very grainy but I wouldn't use it for anything else. I've used it to aim and fire my SKS and it didn't harm the tube but that's the only time it ever got exposed to any kind of artificial light.

ANVIS-10s are a more economical approach to panos anyway.

Here's a video I made on them.
youtu.be/ZcSM6IxkX2A

shitty night vision is better than no night vision.
>hurr durr people will see your illuminator

Affordable digital that compares to gen 3 is another 5-10yrs out. I'd wait for that unless you just have a lot of money to spend