Redpill me on the HK416

I've heard a lot lately about how the AR-15 is an inferior gun due to the 8-petal bolt design, the direct impingement, etc. One of the modern firearms I've heard tossed around a lot is the HK416. Can someone give me the lowdown on why the AR-15 is inferior, and why the short-stroke piston is superior?

Attached: HK416A5_11_RAL_re.png (740x348, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY
egun.de/market/item.php?id=6722020
warisboring.com/the-army-s-main-rifle-failed-during-a-deadly-afghan-battle/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The HK416 literally beats itself to death.

Explain

> why the AR-15 is inferior
It's not.
>why the short-stroke piston is superior
It's not

Both have their pros and cons.

Also you say the 8 lug bolt is bad, it's not, but have you ever sen a 416 bolt (Hint: pic related)

Attached: 416 Bolt.jpg (1100x752, 217K)

Carrier tilt. The piston rod strikes the top of the carrier which jacks the rear up at an angle as it cycles backwards. Ends up gutting the rear of the lower @ the buffer tube.

Also, 416 bolt and ar bolt are the same...their the same fucking upper... Only thing they did was change the gas system.

>Ends up gutting the rear of the lower @ the buffer tube.
That hasn't been a problem for years and never has been a problem for the 416. The problem with carrier tilt on the 416 is reduced bolt life. They'll crack bolts at under 10,000 rounds AFTER the improvements.

HK416 is represented by a hot chick in Girls Frontline. Otherwise, piston-driven ARs are not objectively superior to DI ARs. Both systems have their pros and cons.

>Piston AR systems are heavier then DI systems, resulting in a slightly heavier weapon.
>Piston ARs are, from what I can tell, almost always more expensive than DI ARs.
>Piston ARs will have a stronger recoil impuse than DI ARs.
>Piston ARs, in theory, are more reliable at feeding, extracting, and ejecting than DI ARs.
>Piston ARs will run much cleaner than DI ARs (A lot less cleaning in the receiver.

I'm sure there's more differences, but I can't think of them all right now.

Attached: Lewd HK416 Formal Oppai.jpg (2480x3508, 1.53M)

Also they're literally not the same fucking upper. The HK416 upper has no standard major parts.

This thread in 2019 is proof that (((HK))) really do have some of the most effective bullshit marketing in the game

You can safely use a Piston AR when exiting water. Not so much with DI systems.

That's a major one imo.

This.

They make a very high quality rifle, but design wise it's nothing special and theoretically kind of silly. Ash Hesh has talked about it on P&S a few times. Originally they designed a piston gun because DI in very short gas systems just really sucks (think Rattler). Then they released it in standard length heavy barrels as an auto rifle because that's what the Marines wanted.

>they designed a piston gun because DI in very short gas systems just really sucks
Pretty much this and suppressor consideration and there you go. The stoner gas system is still good but not terribly pleasant to shoot out of 10.5"/10.3" barrels.
Handing a shorty AR to a left handed shooter who has never experienced it before is funny as hell.

>DI
It's a stationary piston, you mongs

Attached: 1497221290521.gif (400x225, 1.64M)

Yes we all know good lord.

I have a MR223A3 but never had a normal AR15 for more than 15mins inmy hand. So judge insnt possible.
The HK223 or HK416 is very nice, but someone had keyholeing after 45.000 bullets (cheap ammo?)

The main advantage of the HK416 is it runs better suppressed with its adjustable gas block.
Interstingly, the biggest user of that gun, the French military, ordered a version WITHOUT an adjustable gas block, thus bringing not a single advantage over a DI AR. Not to mention it is considerably heavier.

A 5,56 barrel on a military weapon is rate to last 20k rounds before a significant loss of accuracy.
At 45k, you'd be shooting with a smoothbore.
But there are many other parts that would fail a lot sooner than that, and considering spares for the proprietary parts of that gun are pretty much unvailable to civilians, I doubt anyone ever shot that much with one.

Mine is 8months old and had 1250rds. with the chromline barrel
His HK223A1 was a range gun for civis. So yeah, 45K rds in less than 1.5years. Ishould buy some backup parts I guess.

>Stronger recoil
Everything I've seen suggests otherwise and my SR-762 has noticably smoother recoil than my buddies AR-10 and I'm not running a brake on my rifle either

I have a question for you guys.
This is the new PM for the HK416A3-A5
Is it possible that´s a normal PM just with a HK marking ? Cost 30€ for a possible imported Mag?
i can make more photos but need to reload the phone first

Attached: gen3.jpg (2976x5312, 1M)

>Handing a shorty AR to a left handed shooter
Why would that matter?

It's definitely not a Magpul PMAG Gen 3 if that's what you're asking. Completely different molds and different floorplate.

Thx buddy, i seen the stamps on top and they are 100% the same. Possible some STANG shit.

How often do you guys have malfunctions with AR-15s ? The dealer said a good HK416 with the right Ammo shouldnt have a single malfunction in life. Thats a joke,right?

>oh man I only shot this gun 45 thousand times, why are some parts wearing out oh man

Its harder to get a import Ar15 than a HK in Germany. Most guys have the CR223 or MR223 so how should i know shit about your US guns ?

Doesn't matter what you shoot 45k rounds will wear just about any gun down Hans. How much would an MR223 cost over there anyways?

About 2300-2600€ with cleaning kit and hard case

corection : starting at 2K €
Pic related a original G36 SAR for 1.9K€

Attached: v575yv6m.jpg (1000x750, 88K)

Thats complete bullshit

And the

Attached: kjö.jpg (1000x326, 37K)

HK doesn't sell to Israel.

How to change that ?

Attached: 1552809796954.jpg (500x482, 30K)

its over gassed for muh military load. Im sure if a5 tube and all the other shit people do to make the gas system light would probably hep with it

The AR bolt design is one of the finest ever developed. Its not as strong as say, a two lug, but the cam action on it is super short, and that's the point. Think of it in terms of degrees of rotation required to open and close it, which allows the whole thing to be way more compact. There are other things that can be nitpicked and argued, but the bolt isn't one of them for anyone who has a brain. Even if you shear a lug, which isn't likely, it should still function until you can replace it, if you need to.

Attached: 1553226663550.jpg (1682x1088, 745K)

I've used a standard AR after being submerged and it works fine you mong

There's nothing that's wrong with the AR15 to even a moderate degree

It's got everything to do with milspec being 3 decades behind the current industry, but at the same time being absurdly reliable and common place

Not to say there isn't small upgrades that could make it better, as higher end AR manufacturers have found, there's a number of things the military SHOULD apply to the M4A2 and M16A5 if anybody uses it, before anybody even tries to compare it the HK416

>The eight locking lug design is fine, but there shouldn't be a single damn sharp corner on that thing, that's an artifact from the 50's that never changed, but should have. When locking lugs shear, this is literally why
>Cam pins need to be beefed up and the dwell time increased for a smoother cam rotation
>Solid gas rings when made of good steel, can last longer than the bolt, especially when in a mid length or longer gas system
>Threaded and pinned gas blocks make replacement a breeze and seal the gas system ABSURDLY well, and can be done in the same process as turning the barrel
>Maybe free floated handguard?
>Increase mass of bolt for lower ROF for better cycling
>Improved gas tube. Now.

You can get all these things on high end ARs already, but nobody really puts them together except KAC and even then, there's things they don't do because they need to conform to the AR market as well as military demands

Meanwhile the HK416 is an answer to a question nobody had. "How can the Germans fuck up something for the world, again?"

unfortunate all this shit is patented so can happen for small manufactures to make it a standard

>All of those improvements
God I want a full retard Jim Sullivan AR. Watching them run that thing, and I was at full mast.

>>Improved gas tube

I'm curious why people say this. The gas tube was designed to the the weak link in the chain. Better to burn up a cheapass gas tube than damage something more significant. Think of it like a fuse.

I'm jelly Hans. Why is the read manual not in German though?

>less than 300 USD in raw materials.

a lot of extra gas vents out of the bolt carrier directly into the left handed shooters face

Its in englisch, german, spain and france.
Is it possible to import a gun to the US while visiting Germany ? I knowits possible to buy it with passport and other shit but outside the EU ?
I give you 300 USD raw materials. Lets see how many USD you need to bring it from plasic pellets to gun

The gun to beat the Scar-S poser

Attached: stop-it-boner.-no-meme.jpg (600x561, 28K)

>Maybe free floated handguard?
The same reason why we have a government profile barrel is the same reason we will not see a free float barrel: the average soldier is generally a grown child who really can't be trusted. There are those who think using a 50 cal round as a punch and a rock as a hammer is a good idea, what kind of damage could they do to a free float barrel?
>Improved gas tube
I thought this was the intentional weak point. Something to fail easily before a major kaboom occurs.

>Its harder to get a import Ar15 than a HK in Germany.

no its not, Windham weaponry ARs are available at 1000€ and are a far superior option to the HK guns.

egun.de/market/item.php?id=6722020

I wouldnt say its superior but they have a high reputation for precision.

>Redpill me on the HK416
ERROR

Attached: lolök.jpg (1920x840, 131K)

Jim Sullivan doesn't get nowhere NEAR the respect he deserves for the work he did on the M16 and the Ultimax 100, as well as the other side projects he's had with the mini 14, and the Ruger M77

If the military adopted these features, the patents would fuck off into the night, over night, which pisses me off every single time some career Lieutenant or some fucking piss ant officer wastes a cool couple million running trials for another fucking attempt at replacing the M4 instead of just upgrading the ones we already have, that would actually drive the costs DOWN not just in the price of the rifle, but repairs because you'd significantly extend the service life

The problem with it has become that it's the literal limiting factor of the AR. You fix the cam, you fix the shearing lugs, you fix the gas ring, and gas tube length, and the problem pretty much becomes the gas tube prevents the rifle from being run harder than it can be. It's like the square locking lugs on the bolt, a hold over from a generation.

Where with the square locking lugs, it was because manual machining is a bitch, and the less they needed to do, the better, and it just so happened that the high carbon steel they used made the bolts last fucking half a forever, so they didn't need to do the difficult and time consuming process of chamfering the sharp edges.

With the gas tube, it was just a mechanical safety from an era where we didn't have the tech, engineering, nor the logistics that we currently have at our finger tips. If they lost an M16, which was quite easy back then, then they were screwed.

The only "disposable" parts on an AR should be the gas rings, which is pretty reasonable considering they can have the same life as the barrel

tl;dr
NYET RIFLE IS FINE

Do you even know how a DI system works? It is explicitly stated in the first M16 training films to drain the gas return line when exiting water. If you leave water in the gas return line you will likely blow up your rifle.

"Hey user, ready to blast Antifa ?"
"Sure"

Attached: hk416.jpg (709x529, 141K)

>"Hey user, ready to blast Antifa ?"
>german cops

yeah. keep dreaming. ANTIFA and the COPS are the two executive wings of the same people. they have massive overlap in their ranks too. both are welfare queens who conspire with the politicians against the german/european peoples for their own personal gain. aka Marxism as usual.

>STANG

>ANTIFA and the COPS are the two executive wings of the same people
Nice dubs, but its time to kick your door !

Attached: LetsGo!.jpg (709x528, 370K)

*STANAG
Standardization Agreement

HK needs to get off their faggot asses and start producing these here.
Lengthening the cam path for the bolt so it unlocks under lower pressure and after the carrier has stabilized might help, don't know how much or if it would cause other problems with the carrier design.

>they have massive overlap in their ranks
Nonsense. German police by and large hate antifa. It's them who has to deal with their chimpout demonstrations after all. Some of them do know what's up (you hear of "right wing conspirators in the police force" all the fucking time) but most of them just do as they're told like good little germans.

Can someone elaborate what an HK416 can do that a LWRC IC, POF P415, LMT Piston, PWS Piston, Barrett REC7 Gen II, or other high end piston AR-15s can't? Other than murder my wallet even harder.

Looked around on other gun forums and all they gave was "it's just better" usually.

Attached: tfw i want grapes.jpg (688x1434, 192K)

it looks like a LWRC carbine with a heavier rail. Meh

>Nonsense.
sure. lets disregard the proven cases of ANTIFA getting training by cops. my point wasn't that all the cops meet all the ANTIFAnts to discuss their plans. but they are used by the same people and there is some cross pollination and planning. that aside, even lower level cops understand that they and ANTIFA are working together against the ethnic germans. just look at how the cops respond against ANTIFA demos and how they respond at IB/AfD demos.

read. the. fucking. thread
it has nothing special to it other than it is a piston AR and not a DI, again most of the things you will hear about the 416 is nothing but marketting toward military t oreplace beaten to shit weapons that could otherwise be fixed just by replacing the almost broken part and doing regular maintenance but that will never happen

Meet US govt contract contract requirements.

so just like all high end AR with a MILSPEC bolt

Attached: 1320813769830.gif (300x242, 1.78M)

Ignore this guy. He run out of drugs

Attached: 1553280011939.jpg (600x900, 145K)

You fundamentally misunderstand what i'm saying, the govt (whatever the purchasing entity is) has specific requirements for testing, and production. You need to meet not only the minimum standards for whatever they want, but also production volumes and at a cost acceptable for whoever is buying. Some organizations have better budgets than others.

warisboring.com/the-army-s-main-rifle-failed-during-a-deadly-afghan-battle/

how we got here in the first place

Pic was POF's entry to the IAR competition, which it lost to HK.

Attached: IAR13a.jpg (800x317, 107K)

All those companies probably do make guns as good or better than the 416. But they are smaller companies and probably don't have the ins with .mil that big guys like HK, Sig, etc have.

You have to know that these new gun trials are not fair. It's not "may the best gun win". There's a lot more going on behind the scenes. HK gets favored so some high ranking .mil guy can retire and get a cushy HK job. Shit like that.

Though you came on your mag from the thumbnail

What do you mean ?

The mag window looks like a drop of semen streaming

>what do you mean ?

someone post mcniggerator's galil

Thats the spring. Looking at this window... see it has 2 finishes. I guess thats HK autism

Attached: HKside.jpg (5312x2976, 1.14M)

So it does in fact hold more than 25 rounds?

30, red marker at top grave means 5rds in.
This Mag gets a 10rdn limiter or it stays for deko. IDK

An ammunition meter? That's actually pretty cute, shame it won't fit to well in a mag carrier

>That's actually pretty cute
Isnt this normal for your US mags?
Thats the 3rd Gen from HK. The other improvment is the opening mechanism. You cant separate it to avoid loosing it

Some do. I have some Magpul mags that have the same thing for their 25 rnd of RFN, and I'm sure some of their 5.56 mags are the same

>minor improvements on the ar-15 are patented
sauce?

i already hate all patent law but this would just be the icing on my cake

Attached: 1544817651840.jpg (250x250, 21K)

The normal 30rd PMAGs that everyone uses are available with or without a very similar round-counting window. I only buy the windowed version (it's like $2 more), but a lot of poorfags think that's the place to pinch pennies.

Though the PMAGs only have windows in the sides, not the back like -- that's a nice extra touch.

see what happens when a small company tries to manufacture something knights(threaded gassblock) and lwrc(lobster tail extractor) patented

goddamnit that pisses me off

>Though the PMAGs only have windows in the sides, not the back like -- that's a nice extra touch.
Hmm, thx for that info user. The back window in better to see the counter but its impossible to see shit in darkness. A little glowing paint in the middle should help and giving it a small marker at the side too. Going for it next week but my white paint is empty

yep, and they charge a lot for that shit too. If they were smart they would make more money licensisng there patent all while making these upgrades the new standard. Only thing i can think of why they dont want to is maybe itar, idk.

>itar
?

it's gay because if you are trying to license something you have no fucking leverage and the patent owner can tell you to fuck off with no recourse except paying an even greasier lawyer to counter sue or sum shit

The HK416 is super super reliable, especially if suppressed and if fired in full auto compared to your average mil spec AR-15 derivative. It achieves this reliability through a highly overgassed short-stroke system-- this means that less carbon is shot back into the receiver, and that the system can power through a lot more grime and carbon build up than a standard DI gun can, but it comes at the cost of weight, with the piston being heavier than a gas tube, making the gun more front heavy, and at the cost of recoil control, as the overgassed system pounds back into the rifle more than a DI system would. Additionally, the high-gas pressure of the system means that the internals wear out much faster, as says it'll beat itself to death.
A lot of ARs in military use, especially carbines, used to not very reliable when suppressed and fired in full auto and would dirty up waaaay too fast, with the suppressor blowing back a lot of shit into the gun. The HK416, with its short-stroke piston was conceived as a way around that, with the added bonus of being free-floated right from the factory. As such, 416 was really focused and marketed towards Special Forces groups for that reason-- guys who might actually use suppressors, in full auto, and be able to take advantage of that extra inherent accuracy, all while potentially being unable to clean their weapons for extended periods of time.
However, a lot of research and design has revised DI guns reliability since then, and a lot of military carbines can more or less handle suppressed full auto without any problem-- the original niche for the HK416 is more or less gone, and the only thing it still has going for it is its absolutely retard-proof gas system.
Where this is still more useful than a DI gun would be reliability with full auto, especially with extended use, and that's why the US Marines have adopted the IAR, a variant of the HK416, as an automatic rifle to replace the FN Minimi/M249 SAW.

Attached: DpJmx32UcAEag1X.jpg (712x971, 133K)

international trade or some shit. I might be wrong on that one, just doing game theory in my head.

lol ok

As far as the use of the system to civilians, its kinda meh.
You'll mostly see the HK416's system on the civilian market as the MR223/556, either as just an upper, for about 2/3s of the price, or as a whole carbine. About 3000-3500 USD for the whole package.
You'll be paying a lot more for an HK gun, in a market where there are plenty of already affordable piston ARs-- HK likes to be extra shitty as far as proprietary parts are concerned, and so you'll be paying out the nose in case anything breaks. Like, until very recently, you couldn't even use PMAGs in HK lowers, you had to use steel ones or HK's super special proprietary steel magazines. The fact that the system batters itself so hard doesn't help the high cost of repair.
Newer models have the A5 gas system, which is adjustable, and so is a big help in this regard, but you're still paying the HK price tag for them.
The rifle is high quality, but there are a lot of high quality rifles that don't cost nearly as much.
But hey, one was used to kill OBL, so that's worth something, I guess.