Moderm armor

Can anyone who was in the army teach me a bit about what kind of armor current soldiers wear and if it is useful for jackshit or not?

Attached: main-qimg-bc3c61ff691358e5de196fa77f714597.jpg (602x1301, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

safeguardarmor.com/support/body-armor-protection-levels/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That is old but the new stuff is patrol type armor with soft on all sides and plates on all sides the issue is weight and movement that is why people wear PCs

I can't find any pictures that aren't meme ones
>PC
sorry, english as second language, what is PC in this subject?

plate carriers, friend

Plate carrier. No soft armor panels just two hard plates, one on front and one on back of torso to protect only vital organs.

"Plate carrier", a vest-type piece of kit usually made from kevlar (cheaper kinds may just be fabric or canvas) that hold a hard-armor plate.

Most types of plate carrier only cover your upper chest though and personally I would prefer an IOTV (without the groin guard and pauldrons) because I feel like it offers more protection. That being said, if you get shot in a plate carrier and the plates catch the bullet, you'll be mostly fine. Winded and with a hell of a bruise (I've heard it compared to being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer) but fine.

What really matters isn't the piece of kit you use to carry the armor in, it's the armor plate inside. And the modern ESAPI (enhanced small arms protective insert) plates do a fine job as long as the bullet actually hits the plate and not some unarmored segment.

Attached: tt_map.jpg (450x582, 40K)

Is it really that much of a sacrifice to protect your cock too? Personally Id rather die than have that blown off

above post is an IOTV which has a groin guard it's just not attached in that pic

Attached: IOTV-III-Front_w_groin_protector.png (600x600, 329K)

up to what caliber can those plates consistently stop? and theoretically?

I see. Yeah no way would I be takin that off.

ceramic can take 2-3 but if you're getting shot 3 times in a row you're already fucked srry

no, no, I meant the size of the bullet, the caliber, not the amount of bullets

>Is it really that much of a sacrifice to protect your cock too?
It is when you're wearing it for months on patrol.

safeguardarmor.com/support/body-armor-protection-levels/

Take note that while body armour might stop a round, expect a broken bone or two depending on the caliber, distance, point of impact and the armour design itself

Look up official NIJ standard 0101.06 ratings. They determine how a plate should defeat rounds, deformation after being hit, number of hits before failing outright, etc.

That being said, I'm not the foremost expect outside of a vested interest as someone who has to wear plates and has the liberty of buying them for duty use. Another user-poster I've talked to has said Hesco's 800 series is a very close equivalent to US SAPI and ESAPI, as both without backers are III and III+ respectively based on Hesco's ratings.

Attached: Hesco Threat Matrix.png (1075x562, 91K)

Level IV plates (like ESAPI) can if I recall correctly can reliably stop a hit from armor-piercing 30.06, and would have no problem eating 3 or 4 7.62x39mm ball as long as they're not all in the same area of the plate. It's good stuff but it's also not exactly the lightest weight piece of kit and a single plate runs about $600

Without the plates it's literally just a kevlar vest, it'll take a 9mm or two and maybe some small artillery frag but that's about it.

Attached: ESAPI_level_IV.jpg (768x1024, 155K)

>600 dollars for lvl 4 plates
Nigga what?

Go play with your AR500 somewhere else, real ceramic ESAPI and like plates are not cheap.

a broken bone or rib still sounds better than penetration and death
you gonna shank me, but I must say that I understood only 75% of what you said.
I'll check the chart now, thanks
>can reliably stop a hit from armor-piercing 30.06
Jesus christ, that was way more resistant thatn I though

I mean, what did you expect? I all times in history the highest grade armor has been reserved to rich people for a reason, It would make sense that such thing would still apply nowadays

Body armor has improved tremendously and you can get ceramic Level 4 plates for $120 for heavy ones and $250+ for lighter weight ones.

Just think of NIJ standards being how well a plate will stop certain rounds. It's very important to take note of the NIJ standards as reputable plate manufacturers will have certifications to prove they actually meet NIJ standards. Shit like AR will not fucking have those certifications, let alone actually be used by big boy players like FBI, ICE, etc.

>Jesus christ, that was way more resistant thatn I though
ESAPI and SAPI are a form of plates that require soft-backing kevlar in order to actually achieve IV levels of protection. They're still good and I'd use them myself, but again, they're kinda heavy and require kevlar backers.

Attached: HESCO 3810 sizing table.jpg (500x250, 45K)

New US military armor types and options are actually lighter than what you have seen in post-2003 wars because in a war against high-tech country, it's not economical to up-armor a very large number of people who need to constantly move and who are going to get killed in relatively large numbers too.

Attached: Screen-Shot-2018-11-01-at-7.07.00-PM.png (1060x709, 540K)

I'm going to ask a stupid thing, because I'm a /tg/ guy and I'm curious, can these plates be effective against punctured attacks from edge weapons?
I remember that great movie of "surviving edge weapons" explaining that kevlar is really good protecting against slashes, but not effective at all when stabbed, I was wondering if the plates would work well against, say, a fucking sword to the stomach

>new production ceramic chest plates for ~$250
At first, I was going to call you a faggot, then I did a little additional research.

Holy shit bulletproofme is a ripoff, glad I decided to get new tires instead of body armor kek

These plates are hard (they shatter when broken), not like kevlar fibers that can be cut.

>they shatter when broken
Hence the question, I wonder if because they shatter they would actually be able to stop a blade. When a thing becomes too rigid it might be fragile too
On the other hand, I suppose you would have to be strong as fuck to break one of these blades with a stab

Here you go, bro.

Attached: hgih sped lhew drug.jpg (1206x1206, 266K)

They will stop a sword no problem. Ceramic absorbs bullets by diffusing the energy into fractures, but that doesn't make it fragile. Dropping a plate carrier from waist height on a concrete floor isn't recommended, but you can do it 50 times and never get a crack.

Alright, thank you for everything

sup fa/tg/uy, you're not alone 'round these parts.

thing is these plates are designed to stop very, very large amounts of energy concentrated in a very, very small surface area. they ARE ceramic, they WILL crack and break if mishandled unlike metal armor, esp. if dropped on a corner or side for example. I'm not entirely sure what the effect would be with lesser force over a greater area but I'd imagine they'd take a blow or two ok.

a thrust would at worst slide off the plate into tissue or the soft armor bits and as you said kevlar isn't great for protection against stabbing. stab-resistant vests do exist btw and are in common use with euro PDs. Also I wouldn't be surprised if a rider at full gallop swinging a horseman's pick punched straight through, although the plate would likely shatter the haft of a spear or lance.

a good solid horizontal slash may crack the plate and ruin it but you'd probably be OK for a few blows depending on what weapon the aggressor is using, something like a sabre where there isn't a whole lot of mass to leverage would take significantly longer to fuck up a lvl IV ceramic plate but I'd wager a heavier blade like say, a spatha or arming sword would fuck it up pretty bad within a handful of blows. a zweihander or claymore would wreck it.

of course, if there was an array of historic weaponry before me and the task was to seriously fuck up a ceramic plate, I would use a flanged mace. consider also, that in whatever keikaku you're cooking up, there might be dudes with ceramic plates in chainmail plate carriers.

Attached: flanged_maces.jpg (800x1015, 156K)

Army gets issued the iotv but some people switch to plate carriers

Why is the new helmet so retarded
It's like they mashed an ach and an ops core together and took the worst qualities of both

>although the plate would likely shatter the haft of a spear or lance.
fucking hell, I would have never expected the plato to be so resistant
>there might be dudes with ceramic plates in chainmail plate carriers.
Huh, I didn't know that was a thing, or did you just made it up for hypotetical /tg/ fantasy stuff?

Attached: 14359134_971139082995890_2890277932027097865_n.jpg (800x533, 64K)

hypothetical

Every unit I've been it was literally unofficial SOP to remove the throat guard, buttpad and groin protector. If you've ever actually wore it, you'll understand.

Short of encountering indirect fire or an IED on a dismounted patrol(which we don't do anymore), there's no situation were the (minimal) added protection makes up for the loss of movement and the countless hours of being REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING.

They stop bullets bro. Your gay little stick isn't going to penetrate them.

they do stop bullets, but a melee weapon distributes a lesser force over a much wider area than a bullet. to put it bluntly (no pun intended), would you trust them not to crack when smashed with a sledgehammer?

Attached: horsemans_pick.jpg (850x638, 111K)

what was an IED?

I mean realistically if a guy can get close enough that swinging a fucking hammer at you is an actual tactical threat...I'd question what the fuck it is your doing.

They stop bullets by shattering.

an improvised explosive device, basically a homemade landmine or bomb

Attached: 82mmRCIED_-_600.jpg (600x426, 106K)

of course, but /tg/ hypotheticals always happen in a vacuum.

>not accounting the fighter with the hammer being teleported by a conjurer
Fuck me man, what has your counter-caster been doing? Now you are going to eat three strikes of 2d6+4 to your chest