Redpill me on the Huey

Redpill me on the Huey.

Attached: huey4.jpg (420x240, 27K)

Barely armored death traps that get your balls shot off but helo insertion was too aesthetically rad not to do it.

A single do anything platform made them cheap for their utility and made it easy to have lots of pilots and mechanics qualified on them, the latter somewhat minimized by how much different Hueys varied in power plant.

Grandpa loved his in Vietnam. Idk much about variants, etc but he said his had two miniguns and rocket launchers I think. Marines would point out to him where they thought the enemy was, and he'd come in and obliterate the entire area. He did eventually get shot, bullet went through his leg while he and a couple other Hueys were evacing about 80 Marines and strafing the enemy position. Apparently they later found about 200 bodies in the area. Anyway he gets back to base and they can't find the bullet, they want to make sure it didn't end up in the upper control panels, circuitry, or whatever. Eventually he asks a nurse "hey, what's this black spot in my palm?" Because of course his hand was on the controls above his leg at the time. Anyway he has Alzheimer's now but asking him about his Huey really lights him up.

They aren't armored at all, just some redundancy of critical parts and body armor for crew if needed.

Not really death traps either. Their loss rate wasn't that bad.

guy sounds like a real badass

Their early work was a little too "New Wave" for my taste, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own - commercially and artistically.

They're seem fucking tiny when you see them in real life, really on bigger than a minivan. I think they point to a trend in why Vietnam was so fucking aesthetic; It was late enough in history to take advantage of increasingly modern military technologies, but early enough that men we're still expected to die in War in far greater numbers than we would ever accept today. I mean would the US Army EVER land 12 blackhawks together in close together in a big field to unload troops?

>Live near Bell Textron plant

The descendants are pretty badass too.

WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP

>. I mean would the US Army EVER land 12 blackhawks together in close together in a big field to unload troops?
It'd be the only way to do a aerial insertion, it's too dangerous to land them one at time

Some of the older variants still fly near where I live from time to time. That sound sticks with you and is impressive even when it's just a couple of them. When they're going fast and low to the ground you don't so much hear them at a distance but rather feel a sort of rumble. It's only when they get close that the sound becomes more distinct. Imagine 50 to a 100 of them whup whup whup whupping overhead. I can see how it would trigger reactions and PTSD flareups.

>no dubs
damn, woulda been perfect

Attached: angry bateman.jpg (1600x990, 141K)

there was a consiprecy theory or was a documentry that said they paid the right people to fly them into fucked up areas so the helicopters would get shot down cos for every one shot down belle made ton of money on it

i hear the same shit happens with drones cos they didn't buy parts or know how to service them they fly them into mountains once there service time has run out or it's too fucked up to fly

the pilot is more expensive than the aircraft and there's plenty of regular warzones to lose aircraft in.

turbo retard

Like the Humvee, they were good at what they were designed for but became death traps when they got pushed into a frontline combat role

Kek

Sounds like the bushranger aussies used

thought the bushranger had two conjoined M60s for the door gunner to use?

You've got basically the same level of protection as a hot air balloon but you'll look so cool in one that it balances out.

They are pretty tiny. I’m only a 6ft even man.inspecting one of the B models, and then seeing them again on film, only confirms that Hollywood is nothing but manlets.

Workhorse for the time period, iconic as fuck, aesthetic as fuck, pretty reliable for that period of machinery. I honestly can't say a bad thing about them.

There was literally zero armor by choice and intentional design. For fucks sake the cockpit is mostly glass
Its job was to be extremely agile and quick so it could get in and get the fuck out

What is there to say about it? It's an helicopter.

It copts helis.