Started working out 2 years ago

>started working out 2 years ago
>recently decide that I want to try for US Army Ranger bat
>tell gym bro, who was a Marine and currently a PT at the gym
>invites me to a free session
>think I'll do at least okay
>used to train strength/ weightlifting
>get my ass devoured whole
>looks at me stone cold in the eyes and says at this point I am NOT going to make it at all
>take it to heart and start to come up with a plan

How can I switch up my workout routine? I've been mainly lifting weights with some accessories while doing 3k every other day. I thought I was at least somewhat in shape but it was a solid reality check. I am weak sauce.

Currently I switched from heavy strength sets to hard calisthenics circuits, and tons of sprinting, running, shuttles and swimming.

I want that scroll and tab BAD, guys.

Attached: 75th_scroll.jpg (190x190, 20K)

Google ranger workouts
It's mostly calisthenics and too much rucking
Practice that and if you want it bad enough you can do it

Need to start doing far more than 3k every other day for starters

Being realistic, just passing rasp isn't as hard as you think.
If you can
>mentally withstand getting smoked constantly for weeks at a time
>physically be able to pass an easy swim test after getting smoked for hours beforehand, pass a pt test with 58pu/69su/13:00 mile, pass a 5 mile under 40 min, complete a 12 mile running ruck with 70 pounds under 3 hours, and endure a week of sleep deprivation and low crawling 800m at a time
>be smart enough to not ND or do something you're not told to at the range
>memorize easy stuff like the creed and ranger history
>not injure yourself on purpose or by doing something dumb
Then you can pass. Dudes who go to supply school or human resources school pass with little prep, regularly.
Staying in the Regiment? That's a different story.

Go to the enlistment general and look at the links posted therein

What is it about staying?

Dude, you just need to up your cardio. I weightlift a ton also but that's not really gonna cut it for the kind of prolonged physical exertion they put you through. Lazily jogging 3k is fucking nothing. Train to run one mile in 5-5:30, 3 miles in under 20 minutes, and 5 in 36-37. Also go take kickboxing lessons, great cardio that engages your entire body and helps you stay fast and flexible.

To be clear, this is just a start that will get you to the point of tolerating these workouts.

Idk much about the military, but a friend who was an airborne ranger (and CIA counterterrorism operator) said that they try to completely break you mentally. Idk if this was rangers or something else he was doing. But one thing he said was they tied him to a chair in a dark room for 24 hours and loudly played sounds of children screaming in pain at him. Apparently at a certain point you lose the ability to tell yourself that it's not real.

The test is the minimum standard. Once you're in, you do more, routinely.

Did your friend tell you what you needed to do to succeed? What I've heard is in line with what you mentioned, which is that bulking up and getting huge is counterproductive. This is because 1.) huge muscles = larger energy expenditure 2.) the only way you sustain huge muscles is by a regimented diet and lifestyle that's totally contrary to what soldiering demands of you and 3.) being able to run fast for a long period of time is the single most important physical attribute you can have when it comes to being able to do high speed stuff

>listening to a marine
your first mistake
Look up workouts for ranger and do that for a while until you are ready and then go for it.

>wants the scroll and tab
Long tab sits above the Ranger tab there son.

Attached: 29133518_10156377285136494_5455916463850258432_n.jpg (750x552, 55K)

Rangers run 5 miles every day. 3K is not enough.

Here's the thing:
On March 9, 2019, the last RASP class graduated with 130-odd graduates, an unprecedentedly large graduating class. By March 9, 2020, 75% of them will no longer wear the tan beret.
Why?
In a regular, low-speed unit, if a private gets a DUI, he gets a 45/45 and his supervisor calls him a retard. In Regiment, if a private gets a DUI, he gets RFS'd and sent to the 82nd. If you fail a PT test, with strict, high standards, you get RFS'd, more often than not. If your supervisors feel like you're a dirtbag and their bosses agree with their assessment, you're gone. If you fail any of the multiple physically-intense events the Regiment uses to assess Rangers, you get recommended for an RFS.
Of course, this is based on your supervisors as well as you - an infantryman who can't make the PT is definitely a different case than an intel guy who does great work in the office but until recently was posting on Jow Forums and weighs 130 pounds soaking wet. They both have proved that they can do basic Ranger tasks, but the former's performance is much more tied to his physical abilities than the latter and his supervisors will be much more willing to show him the door than the other guy. Also keep in mind that many dirtbags who can hack it for 8 weeks get booted when they can't resist getting blitzed on a weekday and doing something dumb, violating the UCMJ, being late, et cetera. If you're smart enough to not do that you're already most of the way there.
PT wise, if you're serious about doing this, focus on what you need to pass for now - pushups, pullups, situps, running, and rucks. You can try to be the biggest, baddest dude in your batt later.
Good luck and RLTW.

Attached: 1A509024-D7AA-47AE-B2CD-A08DD7DA9505.jpg (319x315, 46K)

Calisthenics
Running
Rucking
Obstacles

Good luck, don’t quit.

OP here, thanks for all the tips. Will cardio my ass off. Also meant 5k not 3 but I understand it's still just a starting point. Besides that,
RLTW

>final year of college
>told myself I would spend every extra moment in the gym
>work load starts to pile up, grades start slipping
>start slacking at the gym, but getting better sleep and grades get back on track
>now I dont feel ready at all

How fucked am I? Ive been weightlifting and exercising for years, and am Jow Forums anyway but I wanted to go in in the best shape of my life. ive spent the past few months focusing more on endurance than strength and made some headway but it doesnt feel like enough. I know there were days I could have gotten more time in, but I was more afraid of failing and not graduating that I fell back a few steps

Attached: 1498999482067.jpg (234x215, 5K)

Question for the user’s in this thread. If I successfully lied and hid a life threateningly severe food allergy and went army infantry would I then be able to make it through ranger school?

Could always go to 5th group. AKA 5th Ranger Batt.

>RIGHT SHOULDER
>SQUAT
>OVER YOUR HEAD
>LEFT SHOULDER
>BETWEEN YOUR LEGS
>SQUAT

Attached: worm-new-h.jpg (830x523, 70K)

The PT isn't too hard (it is certainly difficult, but if you are Jow Forums you should be fine) the hard part is how mentally tasking it is. Huge lack of sleep, degradation by instructors, being away from home for so long. If you think you have what it takes though, don't let me stop you.

To piggyback off of OP is doing something like the marsoc short card and running 2-3 miles daily during the week as well as weightlifting a decent way to get in shape for this?

You need to run more than that. There's a graded 5 mile in rasp.

Not OP, but running 5 miles more frequently than 3 times a week fucks me up. I don't know how they do it.

Stretching and nutrition. You gotta treat your body right or you'll end up with exploding knees.
Build up to it gradually - add half a mile a week to your base mileage and see how that goes. If you start getting owies stop adding distance and stretch before and do ice baths after running.

How about 4-5 3 days a week with sprints in between?

I struggle with this myself, but what's worked best for me has been
1) adding volume slowly--10% per week
2) a slow training pace while adding volume--the old maffetone shuffle. yes, I was passed by pleasingly plump sorority girls. idk.
3) losing weight. may not be applicable to you, but even 195 --> 185 made a noticeable difference.
oh, and 4) accepting that my squatting and pulling were going to tank temporarily and any lower body lifting I did should be easy maintenance while I was trying to focus on my running

Sounds good, do a long run 1.5x your base distance on the 6th day and rest sunday and you'll be set.

download the fitprep app, you are supposed to do it before going to USMC A&S. So it should be fine for rangers

Ranger Batt and SF vet here. When I went in, my mentality was that I would rather die than quit and return to the impoverished shithole I came from. My childhood was such fucking shit that I would rather die than fail at my only chance at a way out. Sleep and food deprivation ain't shit. SERE ain't shit compared to an abusive mom's boyfriend. Rage and hate gets you far my friends, doing much better now as a tech millionaire (on paper). RLTW you fags!

You don't need to run 5 miles 3 times a week. Once a week with sprints is fine. Also heavy lifting is not needed, you'll loose most of your gains in oust anyways. Just focus on compound lifts and pushups and pullups. You'll be fine as long as you don't quit. The hardest part is staying in ranger batt

No, they feed you peanuts and shrimp every day

I was in B 2/75 for 3 years. Telling you right now, yeah, you gotta be in fucking shape. Not college or pro athlete tier, and not yoked af, but you gotta be able to run and ruck like nobody's business. But way more than being fit, you gotta be mentally tough as fuck. It's one thing to be able to run a 4 minute mile, and a whole other thing to lie prone in a puddle of water for three hours in freezing rain and wind. Way fucking more guys break from mental weakness than from lack of physical fitness.

so how do you get mentally tough brudder

>having kids scream at you
Bruh clearly you've never lived the life of a single dad with 3 kids. You go numb after a while

Not that user but you either have it or you don't.

And here I thought I had it bad when I was shamming in the smoke pit as a 36B

What the heck is that

Go to rasp and you'll find out. In intimate detail.