What were the main errors made by individual troops or at the small-unit level in the Iraq war...

What were the main errors made by individual troops or at the small-unit level in the Iraq war? Let's put the big picture aside and look at the "microstructure" of the war - in what ways did individual US personnel fail to get the job done effectively?

Attached: Page.png (978x1304, 475K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nasiriyah#U.S._Army_convoy_ambushed
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haditha_massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmudiyah_rape_and_killings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>driving an Abrams off a bridge while hauling ass to Baghdad
>A-10 and others misidentified USMC LAV's as enemy and blew them away

Mostly Fog of War shit.

NCOs failing to prevent non rates from abusing the locals, shit like throwing garbage at kids, shooting pets during convoys, paying children to fight each other, destroying personal property like parked cars, telephone wires. Golly gee I wonder why the locals were so willing to assist partisan attacks.

Stuff like no. 11?

Attached: snake_AO.png (1348x1322, 167K)

I hate muslims but if someone invaded my country and told me it was for my benefit only to have their men throw piss bottles and rotten meat at my kids I’d want them dead too

How much did such behavior probably contribute to the failure of Iraqi Freedom?

Seems unlikely. Soviet troops literally raped the local girls in areas they occupied, and this didn't lead to any kind of "insurgency" after WWII.

Well, there were insurgencies but satellite states were formed and their counter intelligence and shit was pretty effective

Blaming Iraq,for Russian and Iranian shit, and vice versa ( 88-89) tanker wars

Iraqi troops failed to coordinate or establish tight lines with hardened communication and distributed supplies to resist disruption by air attack. In either war they fought like they were fighting Iran again, like it was a peer engagement where the skies would be contested. They'd had months to watch it coming but still failed to understand and prepare for a total loss of the air and the need to disperse and dig in assets or lose them.

Victory wasn't a realistic goal, but they could have made it more expensive.

>JAG: Snake declines to bite, citing grounds of professional courtesy
This entire list is peak Boomer ARFCOM but that one gave me a kek.

Attached: 67z079ehibi21.png (1024x416, 453K)

Well, according to google it's over 18 years old.

Attached: snakes AO oldest.png (625x104, 11K)

This but unironically. Fuck the modern internet and fuck social medias.

Not killing enough. Killing the wrong people. Killing each other. Killing themselves.

It really just boils down to killing.

Everyone's website was original too.
Now they're all Wordpress/Blogspot bullshit.

>Dubya thinks Saddam has WMDs
>invades Iraq
>Dubya knows Kim Jong Il was actively developing WMDs
>doesn't do anything
can someone explain this to a zoomer who wasn't old enough to remember 9/11?

Attached: dubya.jpg (442x600, 36K)

Saddam tried to assassinate Dubya's dad, George H. W. Bush, also a former president. That probably had a lot to do with it.

you know im starting to consider after these 19 years we are actually living a cyber punk dystopia now

Oil

bush was one of the horsemen of the apocalypse everyone talks about how they hate the fuck out of modern politicians but Bush was true fucking evil I dont care what anyone says we are actually leaving the dark times not descending into them

25N here, I saw myself in No. 25 and I don't like it.

The win state for beating North Korea is still a lose state. You'll get up China's ass in a way that helps nobody and turn South Korea into an economic dump as they suddenly have to deal with millions of uneducated shit farmers who aren't even good at farming and are not ready to integrate into the wider world as a whole.

You cannot look at individual progress because war is a political tool and sets goals based on macroscale ideas. War is a continuation of politics by other means, to quote Clauswitz. The US tried to win hearts and minds, not realizing this strategy has never worked in the history of counterinsurgency. The colonial empires of old knew how to win: thrash the shit out of the populace. Turn the nation into a police state. Divide the people and conquer them. But the olden days of conquering and winning are not good for modern basedboy politics. So a now a soldier is given ammo, instructions on small unit tactics, and then misused by generals. The individuals did great. 4500 dead over 18 years? There are US cities with more deaths from drive by's. They fought well. But the mission intel people failed them, the politicians failed them, the American people failed them. Now we have soldiers driving in mraps, occasionally hitting an IED not strong enough to destroy said mrap, and occasional potshots into COPs which may by chance hit someone.

I'd say their biggest error was not executing the neocon/neolib fucksticks who sent them there, then marching on Riyadh and Jerusalem. Can't say I blame them though.

>Polish screeching intensifies

you know absolutely nothing about this war and it shows

>non rates
never heard this term outside of the navy, you should do some studying before you make these rambling posts

Nobody has invaded Venezuela.

Oil being an acronym for "On Israeli Land"
That's because our Greatest Ally doesn't recognize any part of South America as being within the borders of Greater Judea. Their plan for the middle east is literally on their fucking shekels and you can't even mention how invading Iraq, deploying troops to Syria, and threatening invasion only benefits Saudi Arabia and more importantly Israel without people screeching anti-Semite. Meanwhile JINSA has been telegraphing almost every American foreign policy and military intervention for the last 30 years but it's all just a coincidence.

*threatening Iran with invasion

There is a "conspiracy theory" among some of the OIF guys that goes like this: the "insurgency" was a political tool being used and sustained by outside actors. Specifically, the Saudis and the Israels, with help from US "deep state"/intel elements. Their purpose was to keep the Shia faction in Iraq weak and divided, and prevent it from becoming "too useful" for Iran. US deaths were considered collateral damage in this game.

That's supposedly why some of the most prominent figures in the "deck of cards" were never captured. Specifically, there are a lot of rumors surrounding Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, who has never been arrested despite his location being something of an open secret among national intelligence agencies. That's because he is supposedly a coordinator between "insurgents" inside of Iraq and their foreign sponsors.

It definitely contributed, but what contributed more to the failure of Iraqi Freedom was the disbanding of all Iraqi institutions. A lot of people don't realize this, but really only a small portion of the Iraqi Army in 2003 was engaged or destroyed by US forces, it mostly surrendered en masse following the capture of Baghdad. This meant that the Iraqi Army was interned largely-intact and largely still as a capable fighting force. Disbanding the Iraqi Army meant two things:
1) A potentially valuable counter-insurgency force no longer exists
2) A large pool of potential insurgents is created

Basically, when the Iraqi Army was disbanded, a lot of the soldiers (many of whom were also banned from rejoining the reformed Iraqi Army) , no longer on the payroll of a central government, took their weapons home and got paid off by terrorist groups who would pay thousands of US$ for a dead American. The media and military though did definitely pay a price for spending so much of the 1990's through 2003 dehumanizing the Iraqis when things like Abu Ghraib got the Iraqis up in arms.

There were insurgencies in Ukraine and Poland until the early 50's.

Based. Fuck Muslims, fuck Islam and fuck Arabs. Who cares what our soldiers did in Iraq. Abusing locals? Islam has been abusing people for too long, what goes around comes around. Destroying property? I didn't know Iraq had property rights hahaha. Islam is just like communism but instead of giving up property for the proletariat it's give your rights up for allah and blow yourself up because allah in the Koran tells you to.

Okay in fairness the child gladiator fights were fucking hilarious and everyone involved had fun

Generally agree although I don't believe this is what turned the occupation into such a mess.

That's a higher level problem though. It's pretty clear that the Iraqis couldn't even do the most basic low-level tasks like siting machine guns or firing mortars accurately, if you want an answer to the thread's question.

Also kek.

Islam as a religion compels it's followers to be xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic, and violent. But it also has principles I disagree with.

bump

>if you fight the enemy, they win

goddamned slackjawed faggots up in this thread

Comes down to who is responsible, the solider that doesn't dig a good fighting position or the officer that doesn't tell him to?

Point is taken, of course, that it's quite hard to find what the Iraqi soldiers did -right- at the tactical level.

>Based xD I hate Islam xD
Okay even if you hate Islam and hate Muslims, isn't pretty goddamn ungrateful and rude to be abusing the locals and wrecking people's property? You think Texans or Middle Americans would like it if the Chinese or the Russians came over and abused our people and wrecked our property?

Fucking being courteous to them, they are fucking Muslims. Fuck their property rights and fuck their lives. They've been war at us for over 1,000 years, they don't get to bitch about us being over in their sandpit. So what if we abuse them, they've done worse, we gave them civilization and elections and they respond by attacking our people and attacking the west. They get no sympathy from me, oh boo-hoo the children. Who cares about their children. Forcing them into gladiator fights are too good for them. I would have personally depopulated Iraq like we did to the Indians and let the Jews and Americans populate it with our people and turn it into fucking Las Vegas. Maybe then I would start liking the locals. Fuck off with your virtue signaling about muh poor muslims. They aren't innocent. I don't care about being nice or courteous or grateful to them. Maybe if they didn't wage war and Jihad on the West since the 600s, I would give more of a fuck about them. So fuck off user.

Okay there settle down Schlomo. No one is defending Islam. We're talking about being a little courteous and not being a bunch of wild savage niggers.

bumped for interest

But he still made a point. Which is better than the..whatever the hell point you were trying to make.

Fuck off

I think the thread moved off of the specific question a while back.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nasiriyah#U.S._Army_convoy_ambushed
An Army supply convoy missed their turnoff on the highway and accidentally drove in Iraqi territory. They were ambushed, 15 out of 18 vehicles of the convoy were destroyed, 11 soldiers were killed and 6 were taken as POWs. The military tried to spin it as some sort of courageous and heroic thing instead of a dumb fuck up and that narrative was soon exposed as a lie and embarrassed them even more.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haditha_massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmudiyah_rape_and_killings
The Haditha massacre, after a Marine was killed by an IED, some Marines started stopping cars and then murdering everyone in the car. and then went from house to house kicking in doors and murdering men, women and children.

Mahmudiyah massacre, a group of soldiers gang-raped a 14 year old Iraqi girl. and then to cover up the crime they murdered her along with her parents and 6 year old sister so there weren't any witnesses and then tried to burn the bodies.

Those two incidences alone probably lead to the recruitment of 10,000+ insurgents.

Attached: Jessica_Lynchcrop.jpg (246x342, 41K)

Are these the closest to a My Lay that happened during the war?

The Abrams driving off of a bridge was caused by the driver being forced to stay awake for around 60 hours and not being outside the tank for almost a day.

Yeah, Haditha probably is.

In Afghanistan it'd be the Kandahar massacre when one soldier went Rambo on a village. Walked away from his FOB one night, went and killed 16 civilians including 9 kids.

Attached: bales_company_detail_wide-14cccf94c34367d9113ea2a2c6b6f8d4dc5d72cb-s400-c85.jpg (400x224, 23K)

what's with potatos like this just walking off? i do remember a lot of stories of soldiers wandering off like children at the mall and ending up captured or dead in stupid, stupid ways

Bowe Bergdahl spent five years as a POW to the Taliban, pretty much locked in a hut the whole time. His reason for leaving the FOB is the dumbest shit too, he thought his commanding officer was doing a bad job so he was supposedly trying to bring attention to that. But ended up fucking shit way more than his CO ever did. Apparently a bunch of dudes died being sent on rescue missions trying o find him over the years.

Attached: 1508154872967.jpg (800x450, 76K)

>you have to eat ALL the eggs

Not if you send the refugees to China instead.

Didn't he also convert to Islam?

The Army actually released a whole historical report about OIF/OEF recently. If someone hasn't already posted it in this thread you should definitely give it a read. I skimmed it a few weeks ago and it was nice, lots of interesting tidbits.

My personal opinion is that the US and its allies did not fully consider the post-invasion situation and didn't do enough to clamp down on the fedayeen/insurgents. But you can spend all night discussing whether or not any of that would have made a difference. I think we should have at least tried.

when you're a prisoner of the taliban for five years you pretty much have to

You kippah is showing, rabbi.

No shut the fuck up. I'm not going to be silenced anymore about Islam and Muslims. I don't care what we did in Iraq. Fucking with their property rights was nothing compared to what should have happened to these people. Fuck your virtue signalling.

Eggsplain your justification as to him being a horseman. Not being negative, just want the deets.

lol keep this up

You know If you just had sex all this bitterness might go away

Explain. Beyond Bergdahl and the ones went all Casualties of War like Hiditha, didn't hear about anyone just taking a walk outside post in either place.

sand people dont think like us, his point is retarded

It was doomed to failure from the start. Books on how the leadership treated the war are truly astounding. They had no real plan beyond blowing shit up and stuck their head into the sand any time anybody mentioned that it wasn't going well

Attached: mission_accomplished.jpg (2000x1308, 367K)

Wanted to show his daddy that he could do something he couldn't.

We didn't actually make them do it. Most of them volunteered after all. I mean we would give the winner a weeks worth of MRE's and water.

Le high school democratic tier understanding of world events explanation