What's Jow Forums opinion on dragon skin body armor?

I remember seeing it on a documentary a few years ago. Is it being used? Is it effective? Whats your opinion?

Attached: Screenshot_180.png (434x328, 352K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Machowicz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_silk
youtube.com/watch?v=WzgLWYmY43g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Retarded

Why tho, iirc they are light and can stop an ak round from 10m

Comes apart in high heat environments when the glue melts.

I dont like scales... i prefer fur

Trashed because supposedly the glue wasn't very good, but considering you can obviously just change the glue composition there was clearly more to it than that. The additional coverage it touted is largely covered by side plates nowadays, while the increased protection was always highly debatable and contentious. Doubt theres any demand for it now.

Hexar is better in every possible way.

Fantastic (revolutionary) concept. Terrible implementation.

Basically relied on glue to hold everything together. And the glue doesn’t work in all climate conditions.

Should have designed a vest that held the plates individually and they could be replaced if damaged. This would increase weight but with exoskeletons on the horizon it’s a massive increase in armor protection in all directions with very few blind spots.

Though I’m sure with nano autism on the horizon there is no point

Weak from below.

it was always funny hearing about the melting flaw and then hearing about how the VIP's that kept going into those regions would still wear it.

This.

>Should have designed a vest that held the plates individually and they could be replaced if damaged
Already done by russians decades ago and there must've been a reason they abandoned the design.

Attached: 17152294.jpg (1280x721, 160K)

Shit taste desu

It was too expensive, way more pricey than your lvl 4 plates+carrier

Then fasten them with something else

>must have been a reason they abandoned the design

maybe because that vest in the picture would survive one march before the stitches failed.

Shear resistant soft armor is more interesting. Not heard anything more about spider silk either, probably down to the high cost. Don't see why they can't splice spider genes into silkworms or something, I seem to recall they created a spider-goat that produced the silk proteins in its milk, hopefully the animals escaped and killed all the scientists.

Better yet, just use different armor

>maybe because that vest in the picture would survive one rape of a conscript before the stitches failed.
ftfy

>Is it being used?
No. The US Army rated it as being retardedly difficult to manufacture with literally no benefit over composite plates. Not to mention that the thing fell apart in hot weather, which... You know. Kind of a detriment where we're fighting.
>Is it effective?
Purely in stopping bullets? Yes. In literally any other aspect of body armor effectiveness? No.
>Whats your opinion?
It's an interesting idea, but it's only that. I appreciate that some nerd up at DARPA or whatever played enough DnD and smoked enough pot to make it a reality, but I think we all know it's a stupid idea.

Finding out the host of Future Weapons died was really depressing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Machowicz

Attached: 1475019543992.png (332x333, 96K)

>The US Army rated it as being retardedly difficult to manufacture with literally no benefit over composite plates. Not to mention that the thing fell apart in hot weather, which... You know. Kind of a detriment where we're fighting.

The glue used to fix the plates in place in the vast wasn't very resistant to heat. But that could easily be fixed.
The biggest problem was that the plates themselves lost integrity when exposed to motor oil and gun cleaning solvents IIRC.

If one of the scales can stop a bullet it means that all the overlap is extra weight for nothing, if one scale can't stop a bullet then the armor is littered with weakspots
If the scale gives the armor flexibility then it means more backplate deformation which means nonfatal injuries where a plate would have no injury
Scales give good multi hit protection but only if the same scale isnt hit twice.
Pretty much every improvement it made over plates came with a negative that canceled it out. When it begun falling apart in the heat there was no reason to waste more time and money fixing it.

Holy shit this, is there any usage of Hexar by military/security forces?

Spectra, what most modern body armor is made of, has a higher tensile strength than spider silk and is easily mass producible.

The major advantage of spider silk is its toughness. Compared to kevlar it can elongate by a factor of two or three before it breaks. Compared to kevlar it has about half the tensile strength. Compared to kevlar it is about 10% lighter.

The end result is spider silk is capable of absorbing about 50% more energy per fiber at ~90% the weight. Additionally, because the threads elongate so much more before they break that means that for any given bullet the more threads will counter a bullet before any thread starts to break. What this means is that, theoretically, it would be easier to make soft armor that can take more than one bullet in the same area.

The problem with spider silk is that lab grown silk is dramatically less strong than silk from the rear of an actual spider. Something to do with spider spinnerets imbuing macro structure to the spider silk proteins by arranging them neatly.

Combining this with two other factors: 1. One spider does not produce a lot of silk and requires extremely delicate handling and harvesting techniques that are only practical in a lab. 2. Spiders cannot be grown en mass like on a farm as they are cannibals and will eat each-other requiring individual enclosures and care.

And the end result is that lab grown spider silk is inferior to kevlar and there is no economical way to make or harvest natural spider silk.

Finally, the major reason for most of the research into it in the first place, fat DoD contracts, largely dried up.

Thanks, learn something new every day

Did the goat fuck the spider or did the spider fuck the goat?

Looks stupid.

What if we make giant spiders?

owo

Fuck user why did you have to remind me :(

Most large spiders don't produce the right spider silk. Genetic engineering isn't advanced enough to simply upsize desirable breeds of spiders and I think there are environmental and ethical questions of doing so as well. Also, the economics are still very much dis-favorable, so even a 10 fold increase will not make it viable.

Spider silk is a really complicated material, if you are that interested in it the wikipedia article is actually really good.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_silk

Lets say you are not in the desert, is that shit any good for civillians or is body heat enough to mess it up

I remember reading in american sniper that chris kyle used it and wore it under his other armor. Im sure it is perfectly fine, but if you want to nit pick then yeah you can find all kinds of problems.

Medieval people crafted Brigandine that reliably holds steel plates lining a thick vest, why can't modern people do the same for ceramic plates?

Weight

If a fuckin faggoty ass leaf can fix their design seems weird to me that r&d on the stuff died as quick as it did
youtube.com/watch?v=WzgLWYmY43g

Can’t you just use better glue? I know that sounds no-shit retardedly easy, but if that’s the only hold up and the system works why would they not do that?

Every knows plate is better than mail or scales, it's right there in the D&D rulebook

Because there are better alternatives

It was big news on Jow Forums when it happened, newfag.

Have fun with those stealth checks amigo

>Because there are better alternatives
Such as?

>being a dishonorable stealth-fag
>not being a glorious plate wearing fighter
baka senpai. I bet you try to talk your way out of situations and don't murder innocent townspeople when they make asinine requests of you.

Attached: 1505709144192.jpg (750x738, 47K)

Like level IV ceramic plates.

>he needs armor
Lmao

Attached: ff9cbd636552d25227ed4c77cbb86717.jpg (658x1000, 80K)

>he doesn't protect his entire party with his glorious steel covered body
I don't want to speak to such an irresponsible person.

Attached: 1526182425755.jpg (832x961, 255K)

Then why'd you post bonemold

>revolutionary

Attached: 067b96b61a6dff8ca30cb34100f70190.jpg (236x260, 20K)

Fuck the party they get in the way

In skyrim it uses iron ingots :^)
>Fuck the party
I'm not a bard.

Attached: 1551493355770.jpg (776x961, 1.03M)