How reliable are lever actions?

Attached: image68543-ce47b411ba0c951b05d5979b16bda72b.jpg (600x160, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=barrel harmonics
youtube.com/watch?v=WgyM-_g6dnU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends. Are you a bitch who treats your guns like they're made of glass?

Well as long as you aren't stuffing gravel into the elevator...

It depends a lot of the levergats, and some such as mine are unreliable from factory.

My marlin 1894 jams if you load a round to quickly when the barrel is looking downwards, which is a bit stupid. There are some fixes such as reprofiling the extractor but I don't have the energy to do it. Also, its screws tend to get loose after a couple shots. I fixed this with blue loctite for most screws but the one holding the lever still comes loose after 5 to 6 shots. It doesn't make the rifle stop shooting, it just become more wobbly. Marlin levergats have also a quite fragile butt stock, mine has a slight crack at the end that goes into the receiver. So my stock can somewhat move a little bit from left to right.

For the story, being french, I had to pay 1200€ for this thing ($1350) and I can't even send it back to Marlin to force them to make my rifle good to go. I really don't recommend non-americans to spend a lot to get marlin rifles.

If you are searching a 100% reliable gun, don't go for a levergat, stick to bolt action rifles. Or take a good model such as a Miroku-made Winchester 94 in .30-30. If you go for a Marlin, even a newly made (mine is from 2015 btw), make sure to check the stock (mine came broken from factory) & try to cycle it at various angle with snap caps before buying it. You might still have reliability issues feeding cast bullets with a large meplat (WC / SWC).

>cycle too slow
>it jams
>cycle too fast
>it jams

You can't cycle too fast on a lever gun, you're just a bitch.

Yes you can faggot

My 336 is gr8. Just run the lever with authority.
The only problem is when shooting Monarch ammo from Academy. It’s loaded a bit hot and sometimes cases get a little sticky, but that’s no fault of the gun.

Crap iron sights with crap ammo and crap barrel harmonics

Attached: A7DDBF0D-5213-47E3-9943-7C826691D1BC.png (818x960, 487K)

>.
The point of levergats, esp for non europeans, is getting a weapon with 6 (or 8/10 if 44mag) shots and relatively fast reloading/shooting, while being compact and easy to use in cramped places or at shorter range, when semi autos rifles and handguns are banned, and shotguns have restricted capacity because of the law. A lever action really can't beat that, except maybe a K31, which is a straight pull, but even so it's still not as great for shorter ranger, and is limited to 6. I guess the best would be to buy one of those cheaper, made in italy lever action in 44.

>there's a frenchie out there with a lever action and john wayne fetish
you kill a few jews and free masons and you could become emperor of that country from what Ive learned from history

I have a 2016 336w and I've seen people complain about that monarch ammo from academy but when I run it I never have a problem. Are you using the 170 grain?

Yes. It’s not every case, but usually about half are a little sticky.

I don't know much about the spaghetti blasters, but the Japanese made Winchester's that are made by BC Miroku are fucking superb. Unfortunately for all of us, Freedom Group purchased Marlin and just like Bushmaster and Remington, did everything in their power to drive Marlin into the fucking ground. It sucks, I'd swear if I didn't know better I'd say that Michael (((Bloomberg))) is a majority share holder in FG and is using that pack of vulture capitalists to ruin the firearms industry from the inside.

Is that one of those military lever actions?

the original Henry, is pretty great for its era.
the Spencer is total shit when clean and well oiled.
Winchester was at one time marginally better than Henry until rack and pinion.

the "best" is a modern Henry, Marlin, or browning as almost zero dirt can enter the breech block.

Winchester stays around because some people are nostalgic.

never buy a mossburg.

Boy, are you retarded?

Maybe you like these historical novelties because they are "ban proof". If this is the case, avoid the news, it may cause you to realize your "military lever actions" will face the same fate as the "military semi auto actions" currently being banned in multiple US states.

>Freedom Group purchased Marlin and just like Bushmaster and Remington, did everything in their power to drive Marlin into the fucking ground

That's not true. The Marlin factory was absolutely fucked when they bought it. All the machinery had to be replaced. All the workers knew by memory how to assemble individual part to guns and fit them together, but no schematics or blueprints existed. They almost had to start from scratch. A few years ago, if you bought a new marlin it'd be fucked because they literally had to re-learn how to make the gun. If you buy a new one now, they're just fine.

Did you guys know that nobody is going to think you’re a Wild West bounty hunter looking for revenge if you buy a gun like this? Just buy a normal gun.

What is a "normal gun" to you?

Ak47

See

>>>/ak/

Hmm. I haven't had problems with any of them, maybe my 336 just likes monarch. Then again, I've only shot about 60 rounds of the stuff out of it.

freedom group is basically owned by another jew named Steve Feinberg

i have a marlin 336 that shoots 1.25" 5 shot groups with cheap berry's plated bullet reloads. it is more accurate than my ar15

The fuck are barrel harmonics?

lmgtfy.com/?q=barrel harmonics

Thanks bud I'll be sure to not ask gun questions on a gun board.

Depends. Some are better than others. Original Henry actions (1860/66/73/76) have controlled round feed so as long as the ammo is correct, it won't fail. Marlin/New Henry/Browning actions do not have crf, but are still reliable if worked with authority.

Some hang up with SWC or other "exotic" ammo so test before depending on it.

No one should be able to own a military-style lever action semi-semi automatic shotgun.

Vibrational properties of a barrel while firing. The less vibrations the more accurate the barrel.

We still make them 160 years later so I guess they're doing something right

>spaghetti blasters

I am now calling every italian gun a spaghetti blaster

Lever guns are fun as fuck, and they have their own legitimate place in the market

They can be very reliable, but the reality is that a good lever action rifle isn't a $500 gun if it's manufactured new. IMO neither is a bolt gun but at least those are more forgiving to shoddy workmanship.

Avoid new Marlin. They just aren't what they used to be. Henry is good but because of that they're more expensive. Winchester is really good, but quite pricey. Just the way it goes.

This tbhwy. You REALLY need to loctite your screws, especially the lever screw. Levers are aesthetic af, and the magazine tube usually gives them an advantage in capacity over bolt guns even with a smaller footprint. And yeah the stock feels kind of lightweight. It's black walnut for sure, but I'm tempted to follow logcabinlooms' advice about pine tar.

Depends on the model. Generally reliable. Not as dead simple as bolt actions, but if you're looking for a thumper rifle with iron sights then lever guns are the ones to beat.

Attached: 1895.jpg (2000x1125, 239K)

No, you can't.

>Avoid new Marlin. They just aren't what they used to be
It's not 2007 anymore and they both are and aren't what they used to be. They have much enhanced models on the market now but some of them shit the bed. The thing is, that was the case for pre Remington marlin as well, just depends on the decade. Remington didn't have to invest in new tooling for nothing

Same, I was surprised. I got one for free, totally rusted with no rear sight, made in '74. I cleaned it up and added a cheap Williams peep sight off of Amazon. 3 holes from 5 shots when sighting in at 50 yds.

It's been totally reliable too. You cant work it too fast or too slow. 6+1 isn't too shabby either.

As if that's not the best reason to get one

>"best" levergat
>not glorious savage model 99 with internal round counter of the future circa 1918
my great grandpa was a game warden after WW1 and he passed down his .303 Model 99 with a round counter from the factory and a scope mounted. I want to believe he was as into cool rifles and optics as I am

Yes you can, you no lever faggot.

Yes you fucking can you gargantuan nigger.

Henry is the best .22 I own. Nothing can get close to it in all metrics.

I'd love to have a Winchester 1886 but modified to load from the side instead of the top

I normally don't count savage but after reviewing the mechanism, while a little more complex than similar firearms produced today, the savage is a nice simple gun. nothing is wrong with it and is served its purpose when it was around.

it uses .303 which isn't crazy available in your ma and pa ammo store.

I don't think there are any new model productions being made, which is why it skipped my list.

my best guess is the Mauser types filled the role better for pointed rounds and levers got pushed to bush rounds.

Speak for yourself, my Rossi 92 is great.

IME Marlins can be finnicky. My miroku winchester 1873 is perfect, though

Attached: 20190322_160009.jpg (2560x1440, 997K)

>3 holes from five shots
60% accuracy, not bad

Do you have a link or something for this "pine tar" thing ?

I legit save up to buy all the box fed spitzer lever gats rather than cheapo bolt or lever actions
-Savage 99c in .308
-henry long ranger .243
-(next on the list) 3 x BLRs in .300WM, 7mmRM, .30-06
>unicorns i would kill for: any model of Browning 1895/ any model of winchester 1895

>prone position lever throw problem is a legit meme/none issue
>shoot fast enough and the action is smooth enough i can cycle and keep a cheapo Nikon 1-9x40's crosshairs on target.
>literally can't do that with a bolt action cuz most cock on open and closes catch somewhere
>the bolt comes back far enonugh that you have to move your head
>both which breaks up you LOS

I bought the 99 when i was 18. stop throwing your money at bolties. Levers work fine and are far more enjoyable.

Attached: wm_7843123.jpg (2592x1728, 312K)

>implying it's not fun as shit to shoot deer with a 30-30

>Avoid new Marlin
I know there were some bad years recently, but I took a chance on a 2017 336W I got for a song.
It’s been great
I don’t know exactly what years need to be avoided but brand new seems to be ok (for now, anyway)

Attached: 157365D7-C193-41F2-A60C-45B907ED4501.jpg (1512x2016, 1.04M)

If you go marlin especially newer marlin its a gamble, I lucked out and got an 1895g and I love it, theres a sort of primal feeling of launching a giant chunk of metal at something

Attached: IMG_20190220_172806_436.jpg (2160x2160, 1.45M)

youtube.com/watch?v=WgyM-_g6dnU

who is this "GOO GULL"???

I also got a new marlin 94 in .357 recently and the only problem i had with it was it would only load 5 rounds. Took out the spring and i couldn't figure out what was blocking it but when i put it back together it held 9 as it was supposed too so not to crazy of an issue. If you can handle it before you buy it that's probably your best bet with the new remlins but they shouldn't be bad like they were right after remington bought marlin.

Attached: 346846514351.jpg (2592x1944, 1.86M)

based and simple machine pilled

I seriously hope you know the military never adopted lever actions..
>No one should own military-style trap door rifles in black powder spec cartridges

Attached: 1549417559957.jpg (800x576, 193K)

>he doesn’t know about the Spencer Carbine
>or the Martini Henry for the UK

>savage 1899 musket

Attached: 694BACEB-32A0-46AC-B9AC-A0BD48E025F9.jpg (600x504, 41K)

Which military? My country as well as many others used lever action rifles and carbines in late 19th century

No, it isn't.

Lever guns were a good idea for fast-loading commercial guns for their time. Like the M1911 and the Maxim Gun, the design is only relevant now for its history and looks. Pic related is the most reliable lever gun. No stupid elevator parts to gradually warp.

Attached: decff9a491e92d711631040f1ef14f1d.jpg (640x480, 73K)

Desu u don’t know what u are talking about
>Military 1895 in 30-40 fitted with bayonet

Attached: 5F607D4B-2A95-479E-BED0-9D34775D1DB0.jpg (410x227, 16K)

What about Uberti do they make quality levergats?

That's fucking sweet right there.

I've been eyeing Henry guns, any quality issues there?

Yes.
No.

so mcuh this