/brg/ - Battle Rifle General #14 - Fudd Edition

Tool Time: Whoops have to remove your barrel to adjust your sights and other FAL stories.
In with the same pictures as last thread.
BREN 2, the 2 is for years until release.
HK slap? Reported for domestic abuse.
F A L or FAL? How it's actually pronounced.
Scope booly zone or how I learned to stop thinking and flex on poors.
No trips to contain, not range traps to ban.
Sticker and waifu autism.
Battle Rifle rated Earpro: wrap it twice for safety.
Range date debates; should you bring the Garand, 500sw, or 12ga turkey loads for her first time?
"Just buy a FAL" t. /brg/
"Why doesn't /brg/ come over and booly us" t. /arg/
"Hey we made it 2 bump limits a row" t. also /brg/

Previous

Attached: 1548460279587.jpg (1024x768, 224K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm
m14.ca/m14m1a-blackfeather-rs.html
apexgunparts.com/parts-kits/cetme-model-c-parts-kit-308-7-62mm.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Redpill me on M1As. Why are they considered shit?

To get 1 MOA accuracy out of them you have to get a new barrel and some work done on them. The action is pretty antiquated at this point and can fail easily. AR-10s are cheaper to get, cheaper to get more accurate, and have a fuck huge aftermarket. There’s no real point to the M1A when better options exist, unless you just like the sex that is the action on it.

>To get 1 MOA accuracy out of them you have to get a new barrel
Not true. See: guy turns M1A scout into sub-MOA rifle with $150.
chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm
Also, the mk14 EBRs shot sub-MOA on average (only one in 5000 failed the sub 1.5 MOA criterion) and they literally just slapped them in the chassis, decades-old barrel and all.

I finally got around to pulling off and cleaning up my gas block and enlarging the port. The previous owner chopped the barrel to 16.25in.

forgot pic like the retard I am

Attached: JA FAL gas port.jpg (1600x1200, 122K)

>Fudd Edition
>literally just got back from wally world
>spotted the rare M80 white box for what i though was $12
>elmer behind the counter is nice enough
>get the last 4 they have
>he's gotta call someone to ring me up
>dude totally voted for ronny raygun
>"i like target shooting but idk why anyone would need an AK for home protection"
>"if ya hit 'em in the foot or arm theyre probably gonna die and bleed out"
>and you'll go deaf, i add

>not that different from garand
>cucked FAL into getting gapped to THIRTY CAL
>have to treat it like a princess when you get it accurized
>didnt reenlist, short career

lewd

Attached: 1526018672887.jpg (540x375, 29K)

Some people think they're shit for a variety of reasons.
1. SAI M1As are not accurate out of the box. If you want accuracy, you need to get some work done on them. This is not necessarily expensive, but some people want to buy a rifle and have it immediately perform the way they want. This is understandable. Other people really like tweaking their own stuff, and M1As do have a large aftermarket with a lot of options for accurizing and general improvement. On the extreme end, high-end custom builds have achieved accuracy of quarter MOA or better. These are extremely expensive, but that level of accuracy is incredible for a piston gun. Depending on how you've built the gun, knocking it around has been known to shift zero. That is hardly unique, but can be remedied by using a unitized gas cylinder and shimming to get good timing on the gas lock. A lot of M1A accurizing is keeping parts locked in place and/or under tension (e.g. bedding) so that it's not vulnerable to being knocked around.
2. Reputation for failure to feed and failure to eject. There is some truth to this. New in box, SAI M1As sometimes have problems with failure to feed. The action needs to be well-lubricated and broken in. The grooves which feed the rounds into the chamber are cut rather sharp, and can catch casings until they are worn down. Once this is taken care of, feeding becomes very reliable. Wrt failure to eject, this comes from people using low-quality scope mounts, which do not have an angle for case deflection nor appropriate space for the case to clear the action, and the casings sometimes bounce back in. This isn't a problem for good mounts, e.g. Sadlak, ARMS, or Bassett. Also, it's not a gun that you can drop in mud and expect it to keep working (people call the exposed bolt a "mud injection port," lol), though it can handle blown dust and grime well enough.
(1/2)

(2/2)
3. The stock/ergonomics/weight. Some people like classic stocks, other people don't. Also, while the M14/M1A's piston system generally means that the felt recoil is light, the bore axis relative to buttstock position on a classic stock means that the muzzle will climb with recoil. This is not ideal for a tactical gun, though skilled people can still fire them rapidly. Also, the irons are too low to use if you try to remedy this problem. Though the OP pic is a tanker garand, it demonstrates a build which does succeed in shifting the bore axis to facilitate rapid follow-up shots. What alternate stocks/chassis cannot really change is the front-loaded weight. Pretty much all the weight of the gun will be on your off hand. That's good if you're using a 1907 sling or a bipod, and otherwise not so good. The gun overall has a reputation for being heavy, but reasonable 18" builds can be under 8 lbs unloaded, without accessories. This means ditching the walnut stock (and the cool as fuck buttstock cleaning kit) for a light fiberglass one with a rubber buttplate, as well as a modest muzzle device.

Honestly they're not shit, but that doesn't mean that people who don't like them are wrong. It has a lot to do with personal preference. One of my friends is a competitive marksman whose favorite 7.62 semi-auto is his M1A supermatch. He owns a couple AR-10s, and considers them "too punchy," and actually sold his SCAR because he didn't like it. Go figure.

>implying it's not worth the extra $1200 to not have a hideous MS Word font logo on your optic
Is your PTR-91 treating you well?

Attached: poverty.png (1080x1920, 2.37M)

No but my FAL is :^)

Mag changes are fumbly, ergos are bad, if you accurize it you have to be super careful not to drop itor look at it funny, and even then it'll unaccuraize itself after a couple thousand rounds.

>Also, the mk14 EBRs shot sub-MOA on average (only one in 5000 failed the sub 1.5 MOA criterion) and they literally just slapped them in the chassis, decades-old barrel and all.
They also weigh like 15 lbs and cost as much as a good SAPR that weighs half as much like a SCAR or SR25, so there's no point pursuing that unless either A) you're sitting on a huge stockpile of M14s and need a DMR or B) you just have an irrational boner for it.

I totally agree. If I wanted a tacticool BR, I'd get an AR-10 or SCAR. But the point is in what the chassis system actually accomplishes; namely, it's a decent facsimile to unitizing the gas cylinder to keep barrel positioning consistent between shots under recoil forces, as well as holding the action consistently like bedding. Still, I don't think it's as good at either of these things as unitizing + bedded fiberglass or a JAE chassis ($$$).

Is this M1 bully zone now?

Attached: IMG_20190324_172410-2880x1620.jpg (2880x1620, 1.78M)

What’s a good chest rig to buy for G3 mags?

Attached: 6B31126B-9A88-4B4E-84F1-30E5B36DE51D.jpg (828x1104, 1.27M)

>Tfw no battle rifle :X

Friend has an EBR and I just don't get it.
They're at least beautiful.
Buy a FAL

These Blackfeather M14 chassis look pretty cool. Apparently they shift the weight and recoil axis so the rifle handles well. Pretty affordable and light, good for accurizing. Unfortunately sold out for the next couple months.
m14.ca/m14m1a-blackfeather-rs.html

Attached: windtalker-cqb-16_com.jpg (2500x1403, 754K)

G3 wood furniture is aesthetic as FUCK!

Attached: Chelsea_1.jpg (3159x3024, 2.61M)

It really is, such a shame wood furniture is getting rarer on guns

that actually looks nice.

What's the best heavy/enhanced buffer to use in a G3?

For the cost of the M1A you should be having to bed it.

Like the EBR, only useful if your costs are so sunk into the M14 platform that chassising your shit up to make the M14 handle like a normal gun makes more sense than just starting over with something else.

They're about the same price as a fiberglass stock, and only a couple hundred more than walnut. Absolutely viable if you're doing a build from scratch and don't have to buy a stock twice.

They're $700, so a bit less expensive than the SAGE, similar to fiberglass, and a couple hundred more than walnut. Would be viable if you started with a barreled action or could sell of the old stock at a competitive price.

wat in the flying fuck is that thing?

It's an old war gun so it costs money to get it up to modern stuff results. but like an expensive restomod cherokee chief, it's a labor of love whose second cool is absolutely thru the friggin roof.

It's a tanker (shortened) Garand in a chassis.

Looks front-heavy as shit.

Attached: Disguted.jpg (261x520, 19K)

Need to find me a barreled receiver for a CETME C. Anyone in here have the lowdown? I sure as fuck ain't paying $300 for a jig and trying to barrel the thing myself until I'm good and damn well out of options. Maybe there's a company that will do it for me?

Like this?
apexgunparts.com/parts-kits/cetme-model-c-parts-kit-308-7-62mm.html

Any new SCAR owners around?

I said barreled receiver not a parts kit that doesn't include those two things that I need lmfao

Why the fuck are PTRs out of stock everywhere?

So, what about converting M1 garands into faux BM-59s, would that resolve a lot of the issues brought up re: M1A failures re: accuracy, or is that inherent in a piston system?

Yeah your boned then. Buy the tools?

So if I get a m1a why shouldn't I get a socom 16?

MSRP $1,987 for the most basic model
the goofy little scout rail makes it needlessly difficult to use an Ultimak rail like a normal person
it's a 16" .308 with a muzzle brake
the M14 is only good for cosplaying as that one guy from Black Hawk Down and causing "It Ain't Me" to start playing, and the SOCOM 16 doesn't fit either of those niches
it has a cast receiver (not that you'll ever be able to afford to shoot enough .308 for that to matter)

What's wrong with 16" .308?

SOCOMs are notoriously hard to accurize. They're also more expensive, and if you want a dedicated tactical gun then you should really just choose another platform anyway. Go for a standard or scout, which you can find new from 1300-1500 if you shop around, do these tweaks and you'll have a great marksman rifle that is a joy to shoot.

SAI receivers are MIM, not cast.

NVM I was mixed up, they're investment cast.

Thoughts on the DSA Israeli FALs? Should I get one instead of a Venezuelan FN 49?

Do you save brass

Attached: Screenshot_20190206-233957_CM Browser.jpg (718x470, 356K)

Night frens. Image server has blocked me so no new pics :'( tonight

goodnight

Attached: 20180429_162926crop.jpg (3757x2585, 2.05M)

Lol because we're all autistic.

But really for a grand you can't get a better new production semi auto .308 rifle.

The fairly good, cheap aftermarket support including surplus accesories is a nice plus as well as shooting steel case worry free.

Attached: 1448773750461.jpg (3264x2448, 1.89M)

Only problem is that the ergos are dogs bollocks. Otherwise the HK slap is amazing.

Still, I like traditional stocked rifles better, especially sinice I'm not rock n rolling anytime soon.

>Erogs suck
Only for manlets, otherwise the grip angle is better than the fal, stock slope puts your eyes perfectly in line with irons, paddle mag release on new production models fixes button issue.

How are the ergos that bad? People spout this shit and have never owned or even shot one. No it's not a modern Gucci AR or bullyboi, but its better than an ak and about the same as every other cold war rifle

I'm a manlet, so the ergos suck....

So your argument is length of pull sucks for me, therefore ergos suck for everyone?

Then put a buffer tube and an m4 stock on it.

Attached: 46760661_2216706098656446_5591157059151837686_n.jpg (1080x1350, 422K)

What's in the box

State bans collapsible stocks... :

How accurate are they?

People in this thread are exaggerating. It's a good, reliable action when broken in. Idk how your accuracy will be after you do all that stuff but if it's not good you could improve it by doing some welds/bedding.

Cool, Cool. Yeah, I was kind of jazzed by a shortened barrel + the tricopmensatore, but, I don't want to have to deal with the M14s gas system - esp. at the 16" length.

More accurate than a fal or m1a lol. Expect 1-2 moa with good ammo out of the box. They prefer stuff a bit on the lighter side 140-150 grains

does anyone with a roller-lock system ever get afraid of the supply column for all of those high-precision machined parts running out/getting expensive?

>Expect 1-2 moa with good ammo out of the box.
>with good ammo
you can't expect this with a well built FAL or M14/M1A?

M14, maybe. FAL, not sure. An AR-10 will certainly get you 1-2 MOA even with standard .308/7.62x51mm.

Attached: AR-10 Best Battle Rifle.png (960x769, 1.1M)

Have you handled any of them? They're really not all that heavy, even the 22" can be shot offhand comfortably, esp with a sling.

I've seen MOA groups w handloads in a FAL.

Is a scar the "best" br or will an equivalently budgeted ar10 be about the same?

My M1A is still mostly stock. I'll be doing some bipod/scope benchrest shooting later this week(end) and will let you all know my results with Federal match. Also I've loaded some of those Tubbs firelapping bullets and will record before and after.

From what I've heard, though, FAL and M1A are generally 3-4 MOA rifles out of the box. Accurized, you can expect sub-MOA from an M1A.

By what metric? Even a much cheaper AR-10 will probably be more accurate, while the recoil on a SCAR will feel much softer than any AR-10.

Wood furniture, A1 aesthetics, REALFUKINNATO = awesome
Weak ass scope rings and barrel mounted bipod = why

Good ammo just meaning basically anything other than steel case or brass coated. I get two moa with m80 ball and right around 1 moa with my brothers handloads. Hell even with wolf poly steel shit it's 2-2.5 which is fine by me.

Accurized you can expect sub moa from any gun lol, with a the g3 platform, especially what PTR is putting out with their new production/modern match grade and bull barrels, it's a hell of a lot easier right out of the box.

No PTR is making too much money selling to larping autists and there's so many surplus parts already out there, you're much more likely to have a hard time finding some niche ammo than G3/91 parts.

>Accurized you can expect sub moa from any gun lol
With only minor modifications, though. A shim and/or unitized GC, bedding, trigger, and a properly broken in or firelapped barrel (not replaced). If SAI were smart they'd just sell an option for those things on the basic rifles for $150 and they wouldn't be hated by zoomers. But as someone else said, it's a labor of love for some of us.

To be clear, I'm terming "minor modifications" things that a non-gunsmith can feasibly do at home. G3 is a fine platform, but roller delayed blowback has its own drawbacks as well as benefits, one of them being accuracy. M1As can achieve impressive accuracy though for piston guns.

Which looks better? Wood & wide handguard or all synthetic?

Attached: mypeepeetr.jpg (2048x2048, 2.99M)

Attached: SHALL.jpg (3704x1285, 788K)

>Tay
I disavow

>Accurized you can expect sub moa from any gun lol
Irish Army ordnance board officer detected

Attached: otcVOdfvamMAoISoAwVQS5hI_-EIIJ_tGDja8yEZXMM.jpg (5184x3888, 2.91M)

Century Arms C308: good first battle rifle or irredeemable piece of shit?

Attached: c308.jpg (1000x1000, 46K)

An FAL and an AUG. Interesting.

Attached: :k: Nice.jpg (427x427, 14K)

is your glock 23 marked "tree oh ate"?

Buy once cry once. Be patient, save up and just get a PTR.

>good first battle rifle or irredeemable piece of shit?
Yes, usually one of those.
The problem is that it's hard to know which one until after you've paid for it, and if you get a bad one it usually needs professional unfucking.

What's the best option for someone stuck in California? I've been considering either a .308 M1 or M14 pattern rifle.
>inb4 move
already working on that, but it's some number of years out.

Any opinions on DSAs voyager series for babies first BR? how does it compare to the PTR in terms of accuracy, quality, reliability, and all that jazz?

Attached: DSA Voyager 18.jpg (1000x540, 99K)

All wood would looks better

Voyagers are missing out on a bunch of little features that a lot of people feel integral to FALs (adjustable rear sight, bipod cut barrel, lightening cuts all over the place, carry handle cut) but otherwise are fine. The adjustable gas system is pickier than you might expect, but otherwise they're good guns.

No it's for Tay AI

Attached: image.png (800x600, 724K)

Some manufacturers offer cuck grips for a small additional fee, for example Atlantic on their FALs did last I checked.

Not all of them lack a carry handle cut but its a project to put on. Sights can be changed too. They were a good first BR deal at $999. Gas system took 4 rounds to tune.

>Tay AI

Attached: pepe is ok.jpg (500x500, 54K)

Wait a minute, was wally world actually selling Federal M80 for $12 a box or was it marked wrong? Were you actually looking at their price for Silver Bear? I might have a trip to Walmart in order if that's the case.

I've had great results with old ALICE gear. the mag pouches fit 3 AR mags or 2 G3/SR25/M1A/FAL mags perfectly which covers a lot of bases for me if I'm fucking around in the woods. ALICE LBE surplus is also quite cheap right now, mag pouches in unused condition are $8, I got a lightly used belt, suspenders, mag pouch, and canteen + cover for $27.

>tfw gonna pick up an ADM UIC-10A but need my friend to pull the trigger on the transaction

Fug man, I want a replacement 308 for my SAI M1A, but god damn anything I want is relatively expensive. The say buy once, cry once, but that shit still hurts.

Attached: 1386139498849 (2).jpg (833x832, 121K)

I suppose that's an option, but frankly I don't want to molest a rifle to make it legal.

Oh OK that's dif. You're not a Leaf right?

No fuck Canada. Can they even own a scar 17 up there?

Attached: _20190316_124310.jpg (3747x1350, 775K)

Check with Brethren arms and Parabellum Combat Systems. They mostly do HK style roller locks but one of the two of those companies might be willing to barrel a receiver for you. Fair warning, they are both popular boutique builders so you might have to wait and their labor probably isn't cheap.

Good point probably not. Does their mil get them?

Idk I'm not up on irrelevant country's military load outs I just assume all police and military up there are issued custom glock 26 magwell sub2ks because of 10 round mag limits

I understand that sentiment. But that leaves your options with those you mentioned, or breaking the law. When I was in your situation I went with the M1A. I like it fine, still working on it though.

>$2300
dood. Must be one hell of a rifle.

Took the PTR-91 to the range. Charging handle is still incredibly stiff. 200 rounds saw a stovepipe and a FTF. Groups were about 5" at 100 yards... that's probably mostly me being a first time shooter, though I suspect using a legit rest and getting some decent ammo could help a lot.

I might already be addicted to the slap...

Attached: RSRS-G3A3.jpg (1000x563, 118K)

It's odd, I'm a manlet (5'9") and the PTR/HK91 ergos don't bother me other than the safety selector being a tad short. I mostly shot AK's before I got into roller locks though, so a paddle magazine release and a safety that you needed to reach for were not big issues to me. If anything, I felt like a charging handle on the left side was an upgrade, no more reaching under the rifle on reloads. I do wish that the mags had last shot bolt hold open, that's a downside on the AK that I could easily overcome by using Yugo mags.

All synthetic tbqh. All wood would look great, but I prefer it matching rather than mix and match. BTW are those Turkish mags? I've been looking for clear mags with couplers on them, how much/where to buy?