Do grenade fuses shorten over time? For example, if a grenade has been sitting in a box for ten years...

Do grenade fuses shorten over time? For example, if a grenade has been sitting in a box for ten years, will it go boom sooner than a new one?

Attached: M-84-Flash-Bang-Grenade.jpg (144x187, 22K)

Yes, although you should always assume the thing will detonate before the advertised time no matter the time since manufacture.

>Do grenade fuses shorten over time?
No, temperatur has a bigger impact on the fuse.
10 years are nothing for chemical fuses

i volunteered with the kurds in syria and we used rgd-5 grenades, ancient ones just like the rifles we used. they didn't go off any earlier than i was told they were supposed to, sometimes it seemed more like it takes a second too much. not even sure how that would be supposed to happen even when they're not properly stored.

No they do not. And we were issued grenades from 1967 in Afghanistan when I was there. They functioned fine.

Correction, went back and looked at some photos just now. They were produced 12-1972

No, although is correct and "cooking" grenades is much more dangerous than in vidya. If anything, chemical degradation in a grenade fuze should probably cause it to go off later. Temperature probably makes a bigger difference than anything else.

The biggest danger from RGD-5s is that there's a zero-time booby trap fuze available for them. They're not really common but the issue was heavily publicized after an 18B blew himself up with one back from a recovered cache in the early 2000s.

>not really common
really? syria was full of them. they were everywhere. besides them it was only m65, and one time i found a german "splittergranate". i have no idea about grenades, even had to look up the rgd-5 before posting. how are they not common?

kurds been blowing themselves up so often that some guys i've been with made makeshift extra safeties from pieces of garden hoses we cut up and put on the pins. kurds used to even straighten the wire to be able to throw them faster, so accidents were more or less common. the guys we've been with adapted our safety hosepieces, and then one time after taking a village you could find live grenades who didn't go off because some of them didn't take off our extra safety so the lever was blocked. fun times

RGD-5s are common as dirt, but the zero-time fuzes are comparatively rare. Given the consequences of pulling the pin on one, though, it should be standard practice to remove and inspect the fuze. There's an Army safety bulletin about it somewhere, although it's probably hard to find because non-SF non-EOD personnel are just categorically told not to fuck with foreign grenades.

Guys fucking with the pins is a whole different issue.

So what could make a grenade go off three seconds earlier than intended?

sabotage? sounds dangerous. did that actually happen?

>temperature

What would happen if you, for example, dripped some kerosene on a grenade and lit it on fire?

manufacturing errors. bad luck is bad luck.

No, I'm actually writing a short story and trying to figure out a plausible reason one might go off sooner than desired.

Depends on what the grenades primary explosive is. Most would just burn pretty violently until it got to the detonator and then it would explode.

sabotage or manufacturing error like that other dude said but either way it doesn't sound like a good or believable idea

just make it an error in handling, like trying to cook it off and fucking it up. pretty sure that happens all the time around the world

Well in the story it would be plausible for it to be on fire, so 's question, if it would in fact work that way, may solve my issue.

A flashbang has 3 chemical mixes
>primer
>fuse
>flashpowder
The KClO4 starts to melt at >400°C and produce Oxygen. Thats the point to ignite the Al or Mg. So going over 400°C means detonation.
The Fuse is safe above 400°C so I dong care. The primer CAN detonate below 400°C and burn the fuse in a significant shorter time than normal. I dont know the chemicals for the primer so I dont know the temperatur point for ignition

thanks user

If this is an EOD fag I have a question literally no one has beena ble to explain to me as of yet. Why are use greande primers on the m67 silent but primers on say an F-1 Grenade pop and make nose. Is that primer in the M67 a different chemical make up? I can find nothing on this.

I had grenades that lasted nowhere near 3 seconds that were produced relatively recently (late 90s), and I had ancient assed grenades produced in the early 70s that were fine.

I also had some of each that either failed to detonate at all, or took 7+ seconds to go off.

I also had a current-production (2002) fuse go off instantly in a training grenade, put some fun scars up the side of my right hand and arm from the remains of the initiator (which is a very blasting cap-like thin aluminum capsule) and a fairly big second-degree burn. I'm really REALLY fucking glad it was a training grenade body.

Not EOD fag but the Jow Forumshemist.
The F-1 has the USRG-M. Its possible that the cap isnt sealed and release gas (pressure/noise).when it hits the pin.

It's how the primer is contained, and the size of the primer.
>M67
Primer is set far enough down in the fuse body and surrounded with enough metal to have a muffling effect (can't hear it over the PLING of the spoon letting go, since the striker arm is what throws the spoon). Primer is literally a Small Pistol Primer.
>RGD-5
Primer is set only slightly below surface of grenade body. Fuse stem is tall and thin, providing basically no muffling effect. Striker is HUGE. Primer is much larger and more powerful than found in an M67 fuse. No prominent sound of a spoon letting go to disguise it.

Also, not him btw.

Seems bizaree that it would be solely because it is sealed or in more steel. The Primer on the M67 is right on the surface as well once the spoon is gone.

Can you hear the primer inside a .22 bolt pop when supressed?
I would say this is right since not every F-1 makes that poping noise

to go one further out of the dozen or so spent grenade fuse heads i've seen the primer is always firmly sealed, there would be no way for gas to travel out the top past the striker. it would all be contained in the grenade.

No. If you want to test it yourself, get some old cannon fuse and buy some fresh stuff from a fireworks store. Bun a foot of each and see which one burns out first.

>to go one further out of the dozen or so spent grenade fuse
training grenades ?

a couple were dewats

Dewats?

most were training, a few were deactivated (dewat-Deactivated War Trophy) live grenades M61,MK2,M67. flashbang and smokes are also like that from the spent examples i've seen. never handled an m84 though.