Dirty Birdies

What's the dirtiest gun in your collection. The one where after you shoot it, you need twice as much time to get all of the gunk out of the action. The one where you're like "how the fuck is there mud in the mag, it was dry today?" Type dirty.

Post related, and hopefully it's not you sick fucks sticking your dick in stuff that doesn't count. (It counts).

Attached: Dirty Birdies.jpg (575x575, 16K)

So, to give an example, I shot 200 12ga shells today in a good day of skeet shooting. I clean my shotgun after each and every range trip. Some of them have been bad (carbon literally encrusted around the gas chamber that had to be tapped off with a punch and a rubber hammer), but this was... so much worse.

Carbon fouling had somehow gotten all the way up to the cap that held the handguard over the piston. The piston - when exposed to air - looked like a Victorian chimney, and the bolt-handle was stuck into the bolt via like hardened carbon deposits that I had to chip out before I could even start disassembly.

I love you shotty, but, what the fuck.

Tristar Hunter EX. A day of duck hunting (5-15 shells) and I'm literally cutting wad fouling out of the chokes with a pocket knife, because the fucking roaches that made it can't fucking cut threads concentric to the bore so there's a lip at the start of the choke that shaves every wad. Top barrel is worse than bottom barrel but both do it.

My other cheap O/U, an Ithaca-made SKB 600, can go thousands of rounds with no noticeable wad fouling in the chokes and only a smear or two down the bore.

that sounds more like combination of filthy ammo and environmental factors (high humidity maybe) than some fault of the gun desu

Beretta A400 Xtreme. That gun eats everything runs reliably through box after box.
The amount of fouling on the gas port/piston is something to behold, though.

Ouch! I've heard mixed things about Turk guns. Guy in today's shoot was using a roach rebranded as a Mossy O/U and it was fine.

Field and Stream? Ohhhh, wait, there were some boxes of Rio at the end there. Yeah, those are groosss. Everyone was surprised that my action'd even cycle 'em. Came out almost like a blackpowder gun. Low humidity though.

Is that any different than the A400 Outdoors or whatever (the camo one?) - guy shot that in two or three of our rounds. Worked great.

It is the same gun. But all Berettas have the same gas system anyways iirc.
Out of all the autoloaders I've shot the A400 is the one that comes closest to pointing like a break action.

>I've heard mixed things about Turk guns
They're generally crude, yes. I got a particularly bad example. Fortunately, the chokes being a bit crooked is the only thing on it I couldn't fix. But it was a cheap, lightweight O/U that fit me well that I could stomp around the swamps with and not feel bad/would continue working even if I dropped it in muck after stepping in a beaver run or tripping over a submerged stump (my other duck gun is a SBE II and while Benellis are top notch reliable, no semi on the planet is gonna work with 3lbs of mud in the action).

I'm more worried about the cost of a Benelli. Used my 1100 was 500$. Used SBEs are ~1k+ in my neck of the woods.

Yikes!

Field and Stream is literally rebranded Fiocchi. They even still have the Fiocchi headstamp. They're fine.

Some Rio loads are crazy filthy, others are fine, and I'm not 100% sure on which is which. I know the 1oz light skeet loads are particularly clean-running, and the 1 1/8oz heavy game loads (the 1350fps ones) are particularly dirty, but there's a dozen more Rio offerings for 2.75" 12ga.

Rio's steel waterfowl loads are actually pretty fucking good though. Slightly below Kent and quite a bit above Winchester Super X or Remington Sportsman in quality, but $10/box instead of $15/box.

I'm not going to lie, I poorfag the fuck out of whatever I can get dirt cheap at the local big box store. Shipping in ammo from online sucks dog-ass thanks to our attorney general so it's almost always better to wait for a sale and buy a pallet of Rio or Field and Stream or whatever.

My micro draco shreds neoprene buffers quickly, throwing plastic everywhere in the back of the receiver. Still runs super reliably.

Also the piston leaves the gas tube in this design, which leads to some crazy carbon build up in the magazine / chamber area.

Still, with a little oil it keeps trucking.

Attached: 6D366C5A-E57C-4BC5-AA95-587383936680-2058-000001F1BE6B7C30_zps01dc05ac.jpg (1024x768, 109K)

Yeah I bought into the internet memes about Benelli reliability. They're true, but other than being super reliable the SBE is a pretty...average gun. It doesn't fit me well, and as a result there's a bunch of other guns I shoot better. It rusts faster than my bare-parkerized 11-87. The trigger is god-fucking-awful (which, while a common theme in autoloading shotguns, is a standout example of horribleness even compared to other autoshottys).

I fucking hate how all Benelli/Beretta shotguns have the catch you have to press to lock the bolt back as well, I still haven't figured out its purpose since it still won't lock back if there's shells in the tube. I think that's one thing that Remington, Browning, and Winchester got right that the eurogun companies whiffed on.

aw, that's great. Nah, Remington's real explicit with my shotty that oil = liquid sludge in your action so it's supposed to run mostly dry.

Good to see the first non-shotty though! It's not just us burd and skeet guys with dirty guns.

well damn, really? I always though of 11-87 as the kid no one wanted to talk to intruding on their group.

Sad to hear they rust so fast. Still, I'm a one-shotty man personally. I'll run this damn thing until it won't work anymore.

I do similar with my waterfowl ammo, since with the exception of goose loads I don't shoot enough to bother ordering online, but I'm a huge skeetfag so I reload for that (it's significantly cheaper to load specialized ultralight 12ga than it is to practice with 28ga or .410). My steel shot stash has probably 6 different brands in it as a result.
>absolutely love this time of year cuz Spring snow goose season is winding down and all the big-box stores are clearancing their steel shot
I actually just managed to snag 2 flats of Kent from Academy for $110 each after tax, normally they run ~$150 locally.

Our local Dicks (I know, gross) is liquidating their gun section, so the ammo is on fire-sale prices, but, the guns are only ~20% off.

We all know you're going to move them to field and stream, but, at least let me get a new 30-30 for 200$ just this once.

Still .20$/box of Rio meant I showed up with all my poorbux and was fighting every other skeetgunner for a box.

The 11-87 was a fantastic fucking shotgun that just happened to come out in an era of other fantastic fucking shotguns, and right on the cusp of 3.5" 12ga (which sucked for years after introduction and wasn't worth using until the ammo tech caught up). It was maybe a little overpriced when it first came out, and has a singular design feature a lot of people didn't like--using a regular rubber O-ring on the gas system (invariably you will end up tearing it, and invariably that will happen before you think about getting spares, and invariably right before you actually need the shotgun). I bought a 10-pack of spare O-rings after I tore my first one 15 fucking years ago and haven't torn another since. Best insurance $2 can buy.

Basically it went
>hmm
>buy 11-87 for $750 or...
>buy Beretta A300 for $780 or...
>buy Benelli M1 Field for $850
Wasn't enough of a price gap between the "fancy" euroguns and it for it to find a niche in.

Remington absolutely NAILED the ergos on the 1100, 870, and 11-87 (and SP-10, although that was a clone of another company's design). Why they changed the ergos for the Versamax is beyond me, the Versamax feels like pure shit in comparison.

My 1100's from the 70s and just points so naturally. I'd have no idea why you'd change something like that.

I will say, the only other guns I loved more were the Mossberg Branded Howas from the 80s. Guy in my skeet club was selling one for cheap, but, I saw there was just a lack of parts and they had some strange o-ring that only 1 dude in texas made leather replacements for. I decided against it.

Still, was a great shotty.

Since this is basically a shotgun general :

How does the Mossy 930 compare to Beretta A300/400 and Benellis?

I don't like the 930. I even got to try out the JM edition, and it just feels...cheap? It's not badly constructed, don't get me wrong - it just feels a little bit like a Mav 88. Yeah, it'll do if you need a cheap semi-auto, but, I didn't like handling it.

The reviews say it's a GREAT gun if you only need to shoot it occasionally, but, really starts to slog at regular-, hard- usage.

Take that as you will.

M24/47 Mauser.
I *still* haven't gotten all thd carbon buildup out of that gun, probably never will.

Yeah, but, at that age isn't it a part of the guns history?

What do you recommend for a first O/U? I’m getting into skeet and clays as a hobby.

>budget under $1500
A used SKB 500 or 600.
>budget over $1500
Browning Citori

The SKB should be nowhere close to $1500 (unless you're getting a multibarrel set) but there's nothing else in that price point that's better. If you insist on a factory new gun, then a Franchi Instinct is about the best value per dollar. Note that you will 100% need to replace the recoil pad on it, the factory one is vestigial.

Finally someone else who can appreciate how fucking bad it feels to hold a mav88. Just elicits a feeling of pure disgust.

My suppressed .300 memeout AR gets extremely dirty with subsonic and cheap armscor and Remington ammo. I'm pretty sure it's because of the cartridge using pistol powder, but the backpressure from the can is definitely the biggest contributor. My nickel boron BCG is solid black after one mag

I wouldn't say pure disgust. But, I've held a M88 and I had a Mossy 500, and it felt like the difference between like a taco truck vs. Taco bell.

Yeah, they're both Mexican, and they're both food - but they're not the same. I mean, if all you have is like 150$ and you have to defend a dorm - grab it, but, otherwise, get something with a bit more care and finish.

how do you clean it? Soak everything or "apply hoppes #9 on a nylon brush and apply to the affected regions"?

I scrub the affected areas with a brush and hoppes no 9