F-117s are flying again

thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27024/f-117-sported-mysterious-dark-knights-tail-flash-during-recent-mojave-desert-flights

F-117s are flying again

Does anyone know why?

Some say they are operating in the Middle East, conducting HVT strikes that conventional drones could not (why though?)

Others say they are providing opfor training for EW units in the USA, simulating the presumed stealth capabilities of Russia/China

I have even heard a claim they have had a UCAV conversion!

Attached: F117 Dark Knight.png (1276x849, 1.86M)

Other urls found in this thread:

thediplomat.com/2016/04/f-35-drops-1000-pound-bomb/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lurk moar newfag

the only other F117 thread is about the 1999 nato bombings
what should I lurk in?

>Does anyone know why?
Because it's a slush fund for corrupt AF officials. AF is the most corrupt branch of armed services.

Attached: 1538160287746.jpg (1043x1737, 283K)

Any of the numerous threads on this exact subject that have been posted since we learned about this almost a month ago?

The F-117 is categorically inferior to newer generation VLO aircraft like the B-2, F-22, and F-35, so it's very unlikely that they'd use them to conduct actual combat operations.

For the same reason, I can't see anybody bothering to drone them. Maybe it would make sense if the US wanted to conduct drone strikes in contested environments, but they didn't want to risk any of the newer, more expensive airframes.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's OPFOR training. It makes sense that the US would want to get a head start for whenever the J-20 and PAK FA start to make an appearance.

I think its fair to say they all are, the million dollar Marine jeep still makes me laugh - I wish I had screencapped a Marine posting about it here once saying how shit was, never worked, and they wished they had Gators instead. Which cost a few thousand dollars.

There is no oversight on the spending, nobody dares question it or reign it in or suggest it be cut or they make do with less by deciding what they need vs what they want and every demand for increases is rubber stamped.
Anything critical no matter how mild and reasonable is denounced as treason, endangering the troops, etc

So there is no economy, every largesse is granted, and fraud overlooked

>Maybe it would make sense if the US wanted to conduct drone strikes in contested environments
Like in Syria that has Russian forces operating in it?

Has 1,000 lb bomb carrying capacity. F35 max is 500 lb.
They wanted to drop some bigbois on ISIS

I thought they retired this heap of shit a decade ago.

thediplomat.com/2016/04/f-35-drops-1000-pound-bomb/
"Test aircraft, CF-05, cleanly released the 1,000-pound air-to-surface guided glide bomb from an internal weapons bay, thereby maintaining the stealth characteristics of the aircraft.”

Why read the link, amiright? Fucking that I'll comment anyway

they retired them after Serbia because Slavshit was able to track and shoot them
But they've been spotted flying again

>Syria
>Russian forces
>contested airspace
kek, sure

Attached: Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II.jpg (2000x1368, 102K)

Maybe they're fucking around with new electronics or something?
Adding new things to a frame you already know the capabilities of is a decent way to test them. If it gets less stealthy, then you know it was a bad idea.

Historically, the US has used F-22s for that, or has coordinated with the Russians to deconflict the airspace and prevent shootdowns.

Still, could be a possibility. Maybe they just want to have the ability to bomb things the Russians are protecting without risking any human pilots, or any actually valuable airframes.

That was pilot error, dont believe the propaganda.

if i was to guess, it would be for aggressor-esq stuff

>F-35 Max is 500lb

Attached: 56fc4b6652bcd01d7b8b991e-956.jpg (956x720, 155K)

F-35, heck of a casket.

USMC will never reach the corruption levels of AF because they don't have the AF budget... which is massive and chock-full of "black" programs. The amount of bribery and revolving door for AF brass is staggering.

Nope. Serbs were only able to track em by spotters when they took off and when the bomb bays were open. It aint like you want to male it sound like.
Also it was not retiered then in 1999 but in 2008.

this is why the US would get washed in any war.

those doors look photoshopped

Yeah, but the F-117's airframe is so unique that there's not a lot to be learned from it that you could easily transfer over to something like the F-35 or B-2. I mean, you can do the math and extrapolate whatever you need from it, but at this point it seems easier just to test the equipment on the actual airframe you intend to stick it on.

Alternative theory: Maybe they're just training pilots to fly them around at airshows and shit? Like I said, the F-117 wasn't an easy plane to fly. They're cool looking, and if you strip off all the sensitive RAM and just paint it black, I can't imagine they'd be that much more expensive to fly and maintain than an old F-16.

>forgot it has one engine

No way it can carry all that ammo.

Those JDAMs are sat networked and jammed by Russians operating over there. He meant the 1,000lb old Desert Storm type laser-guided bomb was needed. Some boot is on the ground pointing a laser at the hadji fucking his goat

What does this post even mean

Nothing can approach the levels of a Jeep that costs 1 million dollars per unit

this isnt the 80s anymore. the F-35s engine is more than enough.

lol

That's a list of what its capable of carrying
Not what it can carry all in one go

If there is a UCAV conversion, could they be using it as a training craft for an eventual purpose built UCAV?

> flying again
Never stopped flying. They've been doing spoopy Area-51 level things since their "retirement".

>F-117s are flying again
>implying they ever truly stopped

I actually saw one of these a few months before articles started popping up about them being flown again. I was cruising past Area 51 and they were flying them past their radar stations, I’m assuming for testing against the Russian SAM systems they have there. Also protip: don’t get too close to the fence line of Area 51 because you will have some greasy mil contractors pull up on you.

Probably testing some new stuff onboard

F-35 is not in service aside from Israeli ones. F-117 is LO and is the stealthiest strike craft available. And no they are not used in Syria for strikes, most likely to probe probable limits of Russian IADS.

>F35 max is 500 lb.
The maximum internal payload of an F-35 is 5700 lb.

F117 was the only platform that could deploy 2000# class munitions until very recently with F35 IOC

It is in service with the US.

glad to see that it still flies around.
beautiful plane

Attached: 4450th_Tactical_Group_Lockheed_F-117A_Nighthawk_79-7082_Gray.jpg (1486x1078, 336K)

F-35's have been in service with the US for a hot minute fren

>F-117 is LO and is the stealthiest strike craft available

Are you retarded?

The F-117 has been out of service for almost twenty years, because the B-2 is better in literally every way.

>no G00KN00K

Maybe they're testing new ground radar systems?

Five bucks says that money went to black project shit, not some stupid mugs. Hide the cash in plain sights.

>Maybe they're testing new ground radar systems?
OPs second and only non-stupid suggestion is likely the real answer:
>Others say they are providing opfor training for EW units in the USA, simulating the presumed stealth capabilities of Russia/China

>The F-117 has been out of service for almost twenty years
So why'd they come back into service

F-117 never stopped flying even after retirement, they keep popping up over the mojave. Probably for testing new radars

They aren’t in service you fucking retard. They are being used to test the new stealth bomber coatings since it’s the most analyzed and well known plane when it comes to radar data. How are you this fucking stupid? Genuinely, I am asking because it amazes me that you continue to remember to breath.

They aren't back in service, they've been spotted flying constantly over the Mojave since their retirement in 08. They're either stand-ins for Russian/Chink stealth craft in opfor exercises or test targets for new radar systems