Why is the Ithaca 37 so much more expensive than a mossberg 500?

Why is the Ithaca 37 so much more expensive than a mossberg 500?

also is remming shit still remming shit?

Attached: NEWHomeDefense12GA5shot.jpg (900x174, 15K)

S L A M F I R E

>is remshit still shit
yes

The law of mass production.

>is remming shit still remming shit?
unequivocally yes

So Mossberg 500 is still the best choice for babbys first gun?

slamfire isn't in any of the new 37s since like the 80s

Mossberg is a solid choice with a lot of aftermarket options.
I'd say Ithaca is a smoother gun with nicer finish and the history behind the design.

No
The Mav88 Field/Security is. But just barely.

>mexican shotguns

sure, but the unwashed masses don't know that. go ask anyone with an intermediate level knowledge to describe Ithaca shotguns in one word, their response will be
>S L A M F I R E

I bought a 1950's IIthaca 37 Featherlight for $100 at a garage sale a couple weeks ago.

Benelli. Benelli. Benelli. Benelli! BENELLI! Buy a Benelli, nigger. Tombstone tactical is selling the supernovas for like 60$ under MSRP.

>tfw spent $400 on one of these things
other than the gigantic gouge on the left side of the receiver, it's in amazing shape. It weighs just 7 lbs and the action is so buttery smooth I can barely describe it; you need to shoot a thousand rounds from a modern Remington shotgun to break it in so well.
Also it's a '73 so S L A M F I R E

C&R-able ones are awesome.

Have one from Jersey City NJ police circa 1967. If that thing could talk.

Only drawback is the 5-round magazine

Attached: ithaca37.jpg (850x833, 361K)

>tfw let a $200 slamfire 37 get away from me

Attached: Werner Herzog eats his shoe.jpg (300x450, 31K)

>kek
Do you think $400 for a deluxe one was way too much? I'm seeing some of the basic models without stippling, in poorer condition and lower end wood around $300.

Just think of how many democats that gun killed

The Ithaca was all-steel and assembled in such a manner that it doesn't rattle like a gumball machine.

Yes and no. While more volume would help a lot, the 37 far predates designs like the 870 and 500 which were made to be produced quickly and inexpensively from the start. They aren't bad guns in the least, they just benefit from more streamlined manufacturing vs something like the 37 or Winchester 12

I have one and it works fantastically, but it feels like shit. At least it's not a rattle trap like the 500 , but the extras aren't cheap

>was

you can buy new ones

Are Ithaca 37s hard to find? I don't seem to see them around

gunbroker for old ones, ithaca gun company for new production.
The old ones lack features, don't take 3" shells, and just aren't as advanced as new ones, but new ones are 5x more expensive at some grades.

>500
>rattle trap

Working as intended. The loose tolerances are intentional to make the 500 less susceptible to dirt caused problems. In other words, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

Loose clearances and loose tolerances aren't the same thing and there a plenty of other designs that work equally well without all that forearm rattle, which is a given since its a manually operated action. I love my 500 and 835, but it's not a feature. Its just that nobody cares to fix it. Its like saying two worse extractors are better than one good one, same with action bars.

Shotgun-owner-to-be here, does the 590 rattle as well?

All shotguns rattle to a point, including the super well made Ithaca. If it didn't, like how some 1911s are extremely tight, it would induce malfunctions even under range conditions.

yes

And it was actually called auto fire back then.

Attached: guns.jpg (3264x2448, 1.42M)

If i'm still a new newbabby learning to manage the recoil from a 9mm poly striker, should I still get a 12ga scattergun?

Honestly if 9mm recoil is too much for you to shoot quickly avoid 12 gauge at all costs and stick with a 223.

Remington is still shit, currently extremely shit.

That's a good choice, yeah.

Maverick 88 is rough and rattly, but the things hold up and work, so they're alright poorfag shotguns.

If that was in even remotely decent condition, that was a fucking steal.

I want one with a top-rail on the receiver, a perforated heatshield, a magazine tube extension, and a bayonet lug.

A trench gun for the modern age.

If you shoulder it properly, you should be able to handle it.
Otherwise, there's 20 Gauge, which is still pretty powerful.

>but the things hold up and work
Until they don't any more. Which is within a couple hundred rounds.

Have you had a Maverick break in 100 rounds?

new remshit 870 owner here
still works and hasn't busted anything since purchased a year and a half ago
maybe if i used it as a door stop like some crackheads do with their guns it would have more issues

I've had 7 Mav88s break in under 750 rounds, each. With one failing on round number 101.
2 of the 7 failures were fatal too, cracked receivers.

Pay attention to your finish and ejector.

You kept buying them?
What ammo were you shooting?

They're training guns. I'm an armorer for an armed security company. The company keeps buying them, I just get the wonderful job of maintaining them after the troglodytes have their way with them on the range.

Shooting exclusively Federal Low Recoil 8 pellet 00buck.

Any reasosn why was it phased out ?

So, if I'm reading this thread right, best options are Ithaca 37, then Mossberg 500, then Remington? I'm looking for a home defense/hunting gun. First firearm.
If anyone has an updated version of pic related, please post.

Attached: 1473809642003.jpg (3900x5008, 3.9M)

Legal reasons
Slamfire shotties are technically illegal in most if not all states.
No idea why they took so long to ban the Saigas/VEPRs

But at least we still have the Lynx 12/EM-12B

I dunno where you got the idea that the Ithaca 37 is an ideal anything other than hunting or sport shotgun. A lot of the models have stupidly long barrels (I'm the dick stuck with a 30" Featherlight) or barrels not ideal for shot (Deerslayer edition FTW!)
It's a nice C&R, collector, and game gun. A modern shotgun is far more ideal due to aftermarket and warranty alone, plus they have more ideal chokes, barrel length, mag caps, etc

If you have loadsamoney, the "best" goes to the benelli Supernova.
Have one, is a nice and solid gun, comes with adjustable stock. Is it worth two Mossbergs? Probably not unless you are into competition shooting or really need a 3,5" chamber.

>slamfire is illegal meme
literally false and new Trench Guns ship with it enabled.

Lawyer reasons probably.

>Slamfire shotties are technically illegal in most if not all states.
No they aren't.

>No idea why they took so long to ban the Saigas/VEPRs
What the fuck do those have with slamfiring? They aren't slamfire guns, they have disconnectors.

Their site gives you the option of 18.5 inch or 20 inch barrel.

Which model are you referring to? I'm referring to the vintage Ithacas, not the more tactical ones.

Ithaca is basically the Cadillac of pump guns. The barrel, mag tube, and receiver are all milled from the same block of steel. That's one big reason for the higher cost. Not to mention they use a more expensive wood like walnut for most of their wood furniture. They boast that their Deerslayer II is so accurate that it's the only slug gun on the market that can hit within 2"-3" groups at 200 yards.

Yes but Ithaca is a new operation now. They're in Sandusky Ohio now and they're kind of one-off guns. They don't mass produce them. The newer Ithacas are leaps and bounds better in design and build than the older New York models.

Slamfire is absolute meme tier. I used to have an old Winchester model 12. Better to take that extra fraction of a secondly to properly realign and get a decent squeeze

Home defense model. 12g, 20 inch, wood stock. I'd buy an old gun, but it'd hurt my soul if it got damaged. Pieces of history belong in a museum, I'll be happy with perfect replicas.
I just want to know if the replica of history is in the top tier or not. I'm not trying to break the bank, but I want good quality that will last decades.

>The newer Ithacas are leaps and bounds better in design and build than the older New York models.
>design
definitely
>build
seriously debatable
No flash light? Night sights? Sling?

>Pieces of history belong in a museum, I'll be happy with perfect replicas.
they are a dime a dozen. get a beater one if it bothers you that much.

A sling would be good for hunting, but I'd assume that I'd have to get swivels or mounts installed. Flashlight, maybe. Probably a good idea just in case, but I don't do bright light very well. Night sights? I've never used them, so I wouldn't know.

>maybe 1.5 million old ones built, and far nicer than a remshit 870 tactifag express
>"dime a dozen"
user, do I need to get the faggot bat?
A sling is good for not putting the gun down when you need to deal with something else for a moment, not just during hunting
And a lot of your post is honest, but the fact that you don't understand the importance of a night fighting capability is troubling.

Why no mention of the Winchester SXP, the one that's modeled after the old 1300? I have 2 and really like them

>they are a dime a dozen

It's because of dumb fudds that said this shit about 98ks and C96s back in the day that it's a massive pain in the ass to find a clean, numbers matching example that doesn't cost a fortune.

I'll put it this way. 9 months in the desert with a retard First Sergeant that insisted we not wear sunglasses made me light sensitive. I can see excellently at night. With just starlight I can see shit people usually need NVGs for. It's light that I can't stand. So I never needed glowing night sights. I'd be willing to try them, I just haven't had a chance to.

Attached: 1550520575240.png (3900x5008, 3.17M)

Any of those will be great for your first firearm/shotgun, user. You're SERIOUSLY overthinking this.

Leaps and bounds better in design? Using CNC, adding a user changeable barrel and ditching the barrel tab on some models isn't much of a design change

Bullshit. I'm an expert bullshitter myself so I know it when I see it.

Is 20ga really worth it or should I just practice until I can git gud enough to handle a 12ga?