What is the point of 1:7 twist rate AR15?

What is the point of 1:7 twist rate AR15?
Most people will only shoot the cheapest 55gr ammo they can find, rarely even 63gr and certainly not buy 20rd packs of match grade ammo with 77gr bullets.

Attached: ni.jpg (3258x1825, 692K)

Because autists will scream if it's 1:9.
I agree that most people do usually shoot 55gr and maybe some 62gr M855 occasionally but still, the idea that you're limited to that weight bothers people.... myself included. I've literally never shot any 5.56/.223 heavier than a 64gr soft point, yet I will not buy any upper that isn't a retro without a 1:7 twist.
Im confident in saying my experience and outlook is fairly representative of most of Jow Forums.
What's the point? To stabilize tracers and 77gr stuff. Will I ever shoot either of those? No probably not but hey, it's basically the market standard so why not go ahead and just buy 1:7 twist barrels.

55gr performs perfectly adequately in 1:7 at distances Jow Forums shoots at.
Anyone who shoots farther than that, knows what they need.
Also, you can certainly buy bulk packs of 62/68/75gr for 45cpr and obviously less.

I've got a 1:8 16" and 1:7 20", if I were hunting I'd deal with the extra ounces and take advantage of some heavier loads but for plinking I usually buy 62gr when it pops up around the price of 55gr, but I can't say it realistically matters beyond I'm doing what I know is best

If I were hunting varmints I'd provably want a 20" with 1/9 to sling some lil grenades but shooting at a few hundred hards, go for whatever's cheaper

For the rare occasions you decide to shoot premium loads. I'd rather have it and not need it. Good aftermarket barrels mainly come in 1:7 and 1:8 anyway.

To stabilize longboi tracers.

Attached: bullets.jpg (610x727, 120K)

why do you worry about twist rate everything is dead all the same

>what's the point of this thing with a specific purpose that I don't use
gay, your thread is shit

Because over-stabilization with 55 great fmj is a meme, but under-stabilization with 77 gr definitely isn't, so why not have the option to throw heavier stuff? More people are getting into long range shooting these days and the AR with 77 great black hills is great for practicing out to 800m so it's not completely unreasonable for 1:7 to be as common as it is.

Well it's common because it's mil spec but that isn't necessarily a bad thing

Yeah I forgot to mention that.

>77 great black hills is great for practicing out to 800m
No, it's not.

I practice with 55gr but I load up with 75 and 77gr softpoints/OTMs for defensive use. Heavier grain 5.56 is definitely the way to go for SD/HD and 1/7 is ideal for that.

>No it's not
You've never shot anything past 300m have you

I can tell you haven't, since BH sucks and even 69gr TMK are going transsonic before 800 yards if you don't live in fucking Denver.

I'm not saying ita perfect. My point was that it and other heavy match grade stuff is good for stretching out the max effective range of 5.56 and the AR platform.

Because it doesn’t matter.

>Heavier grain 5.56 is definitely the way to go for SD/HD
I disagree, but I'd like to hear how you got to that conclusion

You've never shot at any sort of distance have you?

Oh, wait, he said 800m, not yards. Okay, 800m is a bit of a stretch, but my 77gr SMKs are perfectly capable of doing 800 yards.

Because the original M16 barrels were built on the original M14 barrel tooling. The barrel specs were just input at a 75% size to the M14s 1 in 10 twist. 75% of 10 is close to 7, hence 1 in 7 twist

>Early model M16 barrels had a rifling twist of 4 grooves, right hand twist, 1 turn in 14 inches (1:355.6 mm) bore – as it was the same rifling used by the .222 Remington sporting round. This was shown to make the light .223 Remington bullet yaw in flight at long ranges and it was soon replaced. Later models had an improved rifling with 6 grooves, right hand twist, 1 turn in 12 inches (1:304.8 mm) for increased accuracy and was optimized for use with the standard U.S. M193 cartridge.

I've got a Mini 14 with a 1-7 twist that wont penetrate coyotes (explosive expansion just under hide) with 55 gr sp's. I'd rather that rifle had a 1-8 or 1-9 because 55 grs are my jam.

lmao where the fuck did you hear that from?

>You've never shot at any sort of distance have you?
I have, yes. I live like 3 miles from a 1000 yard range.

If you live anywhere close to sea level you're hitting the transsonic range within 775 yards with 77gr SMKs, ballistic calculators will confirm this with G7. Anything but excellent weather conditions and it's going to be next to impossible to make hits at 800 yards.

I agree with this guy but more so thats a shit to use at those ranges even if youre high enough up to keep it supersonic to that range.
5.56 gets pushed fucking hard by wind, factory ammunition is poor for es, and at those distances the splash is nonexistent.
Unless the argument is that you can keep it on a larger target than Im thinking of but ~500 yards on milk jugs starts getting tough on my hit average. Its still a significant improvement over m193 though.

.223 is a fucking varmint round used by hunters to shoot rabbits and foxes, its also used by homosexual us army that oppressed the free world into adopting this worthless garbage.

Get a real rifle!

Attached: 1553291474062.jpg (1024x768, 115K)