What do you think of using a pith helmet for going innawoods in the south...

What do you think of using a pith helmet for going innawoods in the south? I've heard that they're meant to keep you cool in hot environments. Is that true?

Attached: image.jpg (354x344, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dUv875PH7LA
imfdb.org/wiki/Jumanji
sofmilitary.co.uk/1877-foreign-service-helmet-khaki-pith-helmet-product,17291
youtu.be/c8k3NGSdfLE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You'll look like a tool.

Everyone without one will look like a tool

you will see others as tools

It's a useful tool for putting in some water and pretending it's a little boat. Toot toot.

For best results, you need a monacle, large moustache, and a double barrel rifle in .600 Nitro express.

I say!
Sounds like a splendid old time!

Attached: van-pelt.png (1454x924, 1.54M)

Based & Vanpeltpilled.

>when fudd converts to the dark side
youtube.com/watch?v=dUv875PH7LA

is that a SPAS 15 with a drum mag?

it's a usas 12 with a big ass scope, a drum mag, and a suppressor
imfdb.org/wiki/Jumanji

>You're not a postal worker are you?
Damn those where simpler times of gun lunacy

So fuckin bye bye to his shoulder then

Know where I could find one?
>definitely not a postal worker

the cheapest one on gunbroker is almost 4 grand
it'd probably be cheaper just to get an actual elephant gun

>I've heard that they're meant to keep you cool in hot environments. Is that true?
Yes. They're made of cork and you're supposed to soak them in water before you wear them so the water will evaporate as you wear it, thus keeping your noggin cool. A good American alternative is sometimes worn in the military and called an elephant hat, though I don't think it's made of cork.
If you search pith hats up on youtube, you'll find brits innocuously unboxing and discussing the hats and nigs saying it's racist to wear one at all.

go for it and ignore this faggot
>40971705

The fuck is an elephant hat

Also do you have a citation for that custom? First I've ever heard of it and I'm quite well read on the subject of colonial warfare

Not the same guy but it's a pretty common thing I think. Probably wouldn't be mentioned in warfare writings since it was more of an administrators thing. You're out in these boiling countries trying to manage infrastructure and everything, you need something to keep your head cool and stop yourself going doolally

The M1877 pith helmet was standard issue for British soldiers in hot climates right up to WW1. (Also for German soldiers).

sofmilitary.co.uk/1877-foreign-service-helmet-khaki-pith-helmet-product,17291

kek

Attached: travvvonnn.gif (360x240, 1.69M)

Was a USMC range instructor in Okinawa. Can confirm, they have allow for some good airflow, but as everyone in this thread has stated; you will look like a tool, every one else will look like a tool, because everyone in this thread is a tool.

>You're out in these boiling countries trying to manage infrastructure and everything, you need something to keep your head cool and stop yourself going doolally

That makes sense. But use your brain, bro: have you ever seen a cork soak up water? They don't absorb shit, they just float. Either the story is bullshit or the helmets are made of something other than normal "cork". Maybe they had some kind of a liner which absorbed water?

As far as I know you had to fully submerge the hat for a little while so it could absorb the water. The fact that cork isn't too absorbent actually works in it's favour for this, because it stops the structural integrity of the hat being fucked about with, since only the top layer of cork absorbs it. (Also real pith hats are usually made from Sholapith, a type of spongey plant matter)

>British combat fedora
They will not magically keep you cooler than a synthetic boonie hat but they can protect you from coconuts. Get something light with a brim that dries quickly.

Attached: R4e9q2B.jpg (800x1200, 93K)

Vietnam still issues them.

Attached: 220px-Young_Soldier_in_Pith_Helmet_-_Can_Tho,_Mekong_Delta_-_Vietnam_(3773916085).jpg (220x293, 20K)

He rooks rike a toor

Attached: civilizednativeswhen.png (460x260, 96K)

Pith helmets are really practical
youtu.be/c8k3NGSdfLE

So gay that the USMC still uses them

Attached: 8AD2A7E1-3448-43F8-8CA3-68508B48CE46.jpg (183x275, 12K)

>elephant hat

Attached: gc6026350.jpg (450x550, 44K)

>be me
>innawoods in rural south
>walking property line
>see wild Fudd accidentally trespassing while flushing quail
>NAPviolated.jpg
>raise Martini Henry and aim for blaze orange
>480 grain bullet bisects him
>small trees blown over, grass flattened, briars flying
>Boer War flashbacks initiate
>state police arrive, neighbor 3 miles away reports it as meth lab explosion
>get wasted by 15 troopers mag dumping me as I writh on ground to the memories of Majuba Hill

Attached: IMG_2116.jpg (400x550, 85K)

Just wear a boonie hat you autismo fuckwad

>Pickelhaube AND pith helmet
>Pithelhaube

Underrated

its hilarious that jumanji has a imfdb page

My grandpa was a dairy farmer in Texas and he always wore some type of plastic pith helmet.

Vietnam style is better since it sits lower and has a wider brim. Very fashionable as well I can see why they kept them.

Mysides

But boonie hats aren't kino

Based

Oh look, it's fucking boonie bob.