Alright Jow Forums

Alright Jow Forums,

Next week I am going to be purchasing my first firearm and have decided to go with a Mossberg 12 guage shotgun for home defense and I need help deciding which model I should purchase; the 590 or the 590A1 (18 inch barrel).

Price isn't a concern since both shotguns fall within my budget and are locally available. I'm just undecided because I don't know if I want to spend more money on the "sturdier" 590A1 or if I should buy the 590 instead because it will be more light-weight and easier to carry and maneuver (I've read plenty of reviews were people complain that the 590A1 got pretty heavy when fully loaded).

The shotgun will be set up for home defense and will be operated by me, my little brother and my elderly mother. The weight won't be a problem for me or my brother but my mother might have a little more trouble maneuvering it. The shotgun will be babied and kept readily available in my room in case a defense situation arises or occasionally brought to a range/uncle's property to practice with.

Should I spend the extra money on the shotgun with the heavy walled barrel, metal trigger/safety assembly and parkerized finish or would the standard shotgun with me dumping the rest of the budget into accessories be the better option.

Acessories:
Hogue 12 Inch LOP Stock
Hogue Forend
Heat Shield (only if needed)
No side saddle to keep shotgun lightweight and to have less snag points.
Tactical Flashlight/Mount
Sling

Do I purchase the 590 or 590A1?
>Also post your shotguns.

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=2vcb--R4z2k

Attached: Mossberg 590.jpg (300x168, 3K)

>first gun
>12 gauge shotgun
fucking retard

The heat shield actually can be pretty useful if you aren't wearing gloves and firing quite a few rounds.
There are a lot of flash lights and mounts to choose from; I have a Streamlight HLX (1000 lumens and good battery life, a little long and adds some weight) on my AR 15, and a TLR-1HL (800 lumens and slightly worse battery life, but it is damned compact and lightweight) on my G20.
The 590a1 is heavier, has a 20" barrel most of the time and holds 8 rounds IIRC.
a side saddle could be useful. An extra five shots just in case may come in handy. Don't discount it immediately.
For HD, you may prefer a two point sling instead of a traditional hunting or such sling.

>For HD, you may prefer a two point sling instead of a traditional hunting or such sling.
?

A two point sling- like a tactical sling for an AR? Vs a sling for putting the rifle over your shoulder in a traditional sense.

Desu a traditional hunting sling is a two point sling

>fucking retard
Op here,

I grew up shooting 12/10 gauge shotguns with my late father and am a hell of a lot more comfortable/proficient with them than I am handguns. The handgun will be my next purchase.

Not everyone is a limp wristed faggot like yourself.

Thanks for the advice.
>a side saddle could be useful. An extra five shots just in case may come in handy. Don't discount it immediately.
If I do need a side saddle I'll probably use those velcro shotgun cards.

>The heat shield actually can be pretty useful if you aren't wearing gloves and firing quite a few rounds.
I will be putting a lot of rounds through when practicing and I'll see how hot the barrel gets before I go out and buy one. The hogue furniture and flashlight will be the first accessory purchases I make for it.

why hogue furniture?

The weight difference between trigger groups is insignificant.
Biggest factor is if the barrel is heavy walled. All 590A1s are, but looking at their website specs they don't specify if the regular 590s are all heavy walled (some say they are, but most are blank). In any case it spec sheet says that some 590 18" variants weigh 7#, while others weight 7.25#. It is a difference of 4 ounces.

If you want it to be extra solid and money is no object, I guess get the 590A1. You will have the peace of mind knowing that it's Crayon-eater approved.

>why hogue furniture?
Shorter length of pull, rubberized grip, looks stock and Magpul furniture looks faggy. Also way cheaper.

The 590 I am looking at isn't heavy walled. When I go the gun store, I'll hold both of them to see if I feel the difference.

Thanks for the reply.

>limp wrist in reference to a long gun
know how I know you are nogunz?

>know how I know you are nogunz?
see
>Next week I am going to be purchasing my first firearm
know how I know you are fucking retarded?

Attached: index.jpg (235x215, 9K)

The heat shield will add a lot of unnecessary weight and on a mossman will make it rattle like a motherfucker. If you're getting one with an 8 round magazine then a side saddle is overkill. Don't get a sling, they make it a pain in the ass to use and are only good for hunting.
>which one
If an old woman is your biggest concern then a 20 gauge. If you want a better shotgun get a Supernova.

a 12 gauge was my first. They're very simple firearms to use, learn, and disassemble. If you learn to shoot it properly and do skeet then nothing will ever make you flinch. It only matters if you're a total bitch or a noguns giving people faux advice.

in the future try to refrain from spouting gun related buzzwords it makes you seem like a spaz
no one is limp wristing a longgun, nigger

fucking why faggot?

I just bought a 590a1 retrograde as my first shotgun (6th gun) im a picky autistic faggot but I like the idea of having an all metal construction with heatshield and ghost sights already on there. Also 8+1 because why the fuck doesnt every shotgun have a mag tube that goes the full length of the barrel??

I limpwristed your mother last night and my dick is a long gun. Does that count?

Attached: 1548528291789.jpg (480x236, 16K)

Get a fuckin mossberg 500. Cheaper with loads more accessories

try not to fall for the excessive features/accessories on shotguns meme
get the regular model, maybe add heat shield and pistol grip/folding stock, you'll have a hard time finding much use with anything else

>in the future try to refrain from spouting gun related buzzwords it makes you seem like a spaz
>no one is limp wristing a longgun, nigger
Op here,

I was referring to being a limp wristed faggot not being able to hold the weight of the firearm, you illiterate nigger.

>Get a fuckin mossberg 500. Cheaper with loads more accessories
500/590 are only $10 apart.

What's a good price for a 590a1? Local dealer told me they're around $450 to $500. The $500 one having the pistol grip and adjustable stock.

>first gun
>12 gauge shotgun
>fucking retard

Shit post, saged.

actually 12 gauge is a great gun for beginners.

12 ga.
> kewl

590 vs. 590a1
> 590

accessories?
> stock/forend/flashlight&mount/sling(2 point)

wat do with extra money?
> be a responsible gun owner. lock that fucker up away from ppl with mental illness.

Attached: Grandmadonttakenoshit.png (1206x652, 850K)

Just bought a 590a1 last year, OP. I got the 18.5" with ghost ring sight. I love it.

I too went back and forth on 590 or 590a1 but price wasn't too much of an issue for me either and I'm glad I got the a1. The foreend has a tri-rail design that I think is excellent and I've put a flashlight and a side saddle on mine.

Also, don't worry about the heavy-walled barrel. It doesn't tire me at all when shooting and it does take the recoil down a notch in my opinion.
t. 6' 1", 195# Jow Forumsentuckian

How much did it run you? Also tater day yee yee

Just over $450 new. I signed up for a temporary NGOA account, bought the shotgun, then cancelled. I felt a little bad for doing them that way but they practically advertise that kind if thing and it was about $50 cheaper than any alternative. Spent the remainder I would've paid on a variety of shot sizes to pattern and got breddy comfortable with her.

>which model I should purchase; the 590 or the 590A1 (18 inch barrel).

The Mossberg 500 sells with two barrels at some locations, an 18" for home defense, and a longer barrel for hunting or skeet shooting. I'd go for the 500 package if I was only going to buy one shotgun, but you just can't go wrong with a 590 for home defense.

mossberg shockwave

>Do I purchase the 590 or 590A1?
Mossberg 500

aftermarket for 590 is niggers