What bolt action should I get?

Thinking about buying my first gun, but I'm not sure which one to pick. I'd like to get a Military Bolt-Action (WW2 era or older) but I don't know which one.
What boltyboys are the most accurate and reliable? What about the smoothness of the action? Ammo availability? Price?

Attached: v9ch8s7hhl501.jpg (480x360, 22K)

If you’re looking for accuracy and performance go with a modern bolt action like a Remington 783. They’re far better than WWII milsurp. If you want something cool just for the sake of having it I am a fan of Mausers and Yugo mausers can still be had fairly cheap.

Most military issue rifles are not going to be all that accurate by modern standards. All of the major models (Mauser, Springfield, Arisaka, Lee-Enfield, etc, etc.) are very reliable. Lee-Enfields are known for the smoothness of their action.

Ammo availability will depend on where you live, which we don't know. 30-06 is super easy to find in the US. a metric caliber may be preferable in Europe.

Price is a huge can of worms. You can get a beater for a couple hundred bucks or you can spend half a million for a rare collector's piece.

Narrow this shit down, OP. Do you have a specifc country you want? Do you have any particular uses in mind (competition, hunting, historic re-enactment etc.) or do you just want to punch paper? What's your budget?

A couple things I forgot.
The 6.5 and 7.7 Jap rounds the Arisakas use are not so easy to find anymore, ammo could be a concern with those.

Swiss K31 are extremely accurate, ammo is still easy to get.

Just get a Ruger American rifle if you want cheap an accurate.

Do you have access to Carl-Gustav M63 rifles?

Those shoot like a dream.

Lol just get an AR

If in America: springfield 1903 or M1917 enfield. 1903 is more expensive. 30-06 is the cheapest full size rifle cartridge in the US.

If in Europe a Mauser or the K31.

If you want the most ACCURATE milsurp get Swiss K31.

7.5 isn't horribly overpriced.

Everything else is meme-worthy calibers that are harder to find, or lower quality bolty's that are fine but subpar.

>-t. Surp owner who loves his K31, M96, M48 and Garand.

>30-06 is the cheapest full size rifle cartridge in the US

really? isn't. 308 cheaper?

Best military bold action is probably a Mauser or a 1917 Springfield. Lightest shooting and most aesthetic is probably Enfield. It's up to you. Anything but a mosin.

>nu-Remington.
As to OP, I would recommend what said and get a Ruger or a Tikka in .308.

.308 didn't exist during ww2, and isn't it considered to be an intermediate (x51) length cartridge vs full length (x63) 30-06? Regardless very little surp is
Is chambered in .308 (india built enfields are the only example I can think of). And those enfields tend to be 4moa rifles that saw hard use, so I wasn't going to recommend them. They're an option tho I guess.

That said you can find .308 Garands too. They're just expensive and not bolt actions like OP is looking for.

I'm a leaf, and I'm mostly concerned about accuracy. I don't have reloading equipment, but I could look into it.

K31 sounds like a great choice then.

Not sure yet, I'll probably shoot targets for a while, and if I'm good at it maybe competition. Maybe hunting deer too, these fucks are everywhere.
Also I want to fingerfuck guns, I'm fascinated by the mechanical aspect of the things and their craftsmanship.

For budget, I'm willing to pay up to 4000 ish dollars, but I can get more if it's worth it. It's not a hard limit.

Thanks bro, I'll look for em. Heard they're rare though, but amazing craftsmanship and quality.
Not buying a Ross rifle though, I like my eye sockets intact.

Don't be a fag, get a krag.

7.5 mm x 55 ammo is not commonly available in many (most?) European countries.

OP - if you want surplus rifle as your first gun, acquiring one for which ammunition is easily available locally is a solid idea.

The other obvious choice would be getting a nice bolt gun in .22 LR. This might sound boring, but there are lot of new good rifles available, ammunition costs next to nothing and in many places finding nearby shooting range tends to easier.

Don't forget the FR-8 and Israeli mauser. There are a few Norwegian and FN .308 mausers. Personally, those are the only ones I'd trust for full house .308. Sure, there's lots of debate as to whether or not 7.62 NATO guns can take .308, but there is a slight pressure difference. This may exacerbate existing headspace issues, and I wouldn't risk my fingers on it.
OP, I own 13 surplus rifles. They are poor first guns. Buy an AR, an AK, or a bolt action .308. If you're really sold on surp, buy an SKS. Surp is quirky, sometimes it doesn't work right, it's expensive for what it does. You're paying for the cool factor and you should really be sure that you even like guns in the first place.

Attached: 20190224_143624_crop_1008x395.jpg (1008x395, 407K)

I guess for a little clarification, all the above mentioned surps are technically chambered in 7.62x51. But the mauser 98 action is more than strong enough. The Enfield and earlier mausers are probably strong enough.

>What boltyboys are the most accurate and reliable?
Not anything milsurp.

Seconded. This was my first bolt (308). Easy entry price.

I'm pretty autistic about guns, I know I like them. I've spent countless hours reading on weapons and looking at them, I legit have a mental boner when I look or think about them. Same thing for history.
Having a physical version of that seems worth it, plus I get to practice marksmanship and operation of them. I used to do archery, it was nice. I was good enough at it, and guns seem like another step.

Alright. Then go for it. You mentioned you had 4k to spend, and that's a lot. Start off with a U.S. M1917. Great sights, great bolt, common cartridge. You can get one for $500-$800, depending on luck. Start with that, if you like it go from there.

Attached: 20180921_183752-1470x3024.jpg (1470x3024, 1.32M)

1917 Enfield if you want milsurp, Winchester Model 70 otherwise

I wouldn't recommend the FR-8, it's a pain to zero correctly due to its retarded front sight.

With $4k you can get a balls to the wall .300 winmag long range rifle. Look at tikka, howa, others. Or you could spend 1.5k and get a rifle that would still do anything you want and more in .308 or 6.5 and a lot of ammo.

If you want accuracy and accuracy alone milsurp is not your option. If you want fun, milsurp is good.

enfield no1 mk III SMLE

thats a mans gun, and 303 brit isnt too bad to get.

Attached: Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield_Mk_1_(1903)_-_UK_-_cal_303_British_-_Armémuseum.jpg (2200x1100, 420K)

Only gun you need is a good mosin

The mosin market is pretty fucked, sure if you can get a decent one for like $200 or less your in business but the bolts stick like a motherfucker and they have been floating through the hands of idiot neckbeards like
and been all bubbaed and fucked up while losers try to sporterize or "clean" or disassemble them. look for one still packed in cosmoline if you have a gun show near you.

also dont get hosed into buying osmeones shitty mauser that they think is gold, IMO they are worth less than a mosin.

British, german, or american boltys

also why the fuck are you trying to spend $4,000 on a bolt action milsurp? do you even plan to shoot it?

K31 is in its own league.