If you are recoil sensitive, would a 22 wmr work for self defense?

If you are recoil sensitive, would a 22 wmr work for self defense?

Are there any other low recoil options that would work better?

Attached: 03EE9C12-3131-4233-98EE-6792282C0D68.jpg (1400x1400, 280K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-22l-for-self-defense/
personaldefenseworld.com/2016/02/gun-review-kel-tecs-ultra-lightweight-pmr-30/
youtu.be/uGkbnV_OyY0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

if you're "recoil sensitive" (whatever the fuck that means), you're better off just sucking the cock of whoever's attacking you

Stop being a fucking pussy, you retarded faggot. Shit like 9mm, .380, even retarded ass .40 are controllable as fuck

dont be such a pussy
if you are so sensitive dont even bother owning a gun

Attached: 1539965853331.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

[spoiler] I’m not recoil sensitive, but I’m talking about like old people with arthritis, are there any nursing home defense rounds? [/spoiler]

>nursing home defense rounds
lolwut

Sure if you mag dump a pmr30 and manage to get through the whole mag, you'd be fine.

The solution is senicide.

.45ACP

>Jamal busts in
>pop x30
>dead Jamal
Great plan

maybe he has arthritis or brittle bones or something

thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-22l-for-self-defense/
personaldefenseworld.com/2016/02/gun-review-kel-tecs-ultra-lightweight-pmr-30/

Attached: Fatalities-900x654.jpg (900x654, 65K)

>If you are recoil sensitive, would a 22 wmr work for self defense?
No, better use a NERF gun and dont spread gens

Attached: 1553536391846-0.jpg (626x750, 45K)

22wm is not so great out of a pistol imo.
38 special out of a heavier full size pistol is very gentle. Out of something like a big stainless 357 it's almost non existent. Dont get a small gun, they will be snappy. Get a big gun in a light cartridge.
(you)

they made a gun for that, it hasn't taken off yet.

Attached: first-article-closed.jpg (547x556, 32K)

desu I found the glock 42 to have less recoil than 22 wmr

I own and carry both. Its all i carry and i r full of shot m8

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.78M)

H O L E
O
L
E

Most .22 and .380 pistols are using blowback designs, and/or excessively small frames. The sweet spot is in finding a bigger gun, without an excessively heavy slide, that utilizes a locked breech. Not as common as you'd imagine, but in terms of self defense, centerfire is ideal and many consider .380 to be a minimum, so S&W went out of their way to make a slightly larger shield in .380 with a few other changes to reduce recoil and keep the pistol easy to manipulate

You're going to have a hard time finding a better low recoil option outside of a rifle which could be prohibitive based on size and weight

Attached: smith-wesson-mp-380-shield-ez-review.jpg (1001x768, 126K)

I’ve heard great things about .38 wadcutters, can anyone confirm?

Attached: 2BA7DBE0-B966-4DF4-92E6-56BF83DCF777.jpg (2272x1704, 688K)

>The sweet spot is in finding a bigger gun, without an excessively heavy slide, that utilizes a locked breech. Not as common as you'd imagine
of you could just get a revolver.

Attached: rugergp100.png (1000x596, 150K)

Unironically get a Ruger P89
The first time I shot one I couldn’t stop giggling like a retard about how non-existent the recoil was

Attached: 5F7CEDB7-CC90-4E12-8E5A-DCA324BBD205.jpg (500x315, 31K)

you want a beretta tomcat or similar style with a tip up barrel for chambering.

rimfire double action revolvers are going to be impossible for old people to actuate. rimfires have heavier trigger pulls because of teh heavier spring tension needed to reliably set off the primers

Too much rotating mass.

A heavy 911 9mm, low recoil, for me at least, I'll notice it more on the .45. They're old, not useless, they can hold a gun and fire a few rounds to save their life and home. If they are that fucking weak then why are they living alone? How can they wipe their ass or open a beer? My daughter can get off a round in my 9mm XD, my grandpa had guns until he had to go to a home, and that wasn't until he was 90 and needs a walker.

1911, not 911

have shot out of my colt SAA, they don't kick for shit, but desu, I doubt it's a fair comparison to say it would be 100% apples to apples the same comparing shooting them out of an SAA vs a modern (probably polymer) wheel gun

people with arthritsi have trouble gripping things like a firearm slide. 1911 is a horrible choice especially from a safety perspective. you expect arthritic people to be toggling the thumb safety off and on? or racking the slide?

pic related is the best option, and you will have to load their mags up for them as well. but to this anons point, if someone is that helpless why are they alone in the first place?

forgot pic. you might also consider a 4" steel frame revolver in .38 loaded with 158 wadcutters at normal non-+P velocity

Attached: 3032_Tip.png (829x705, 1.17M)

go with .32acp 22mag is rimfire

are you suggesting that the minimal rotational energy employed to turn the cylinder in between shots effects recoil or accuracy?

It'll be fine, just explain that you're only working with 177 ft.lbf and everyone will have a hardly laugh. You might even get a reward!

>rimfire
>heavy trigger weight
>old folks with poor grip strength

You wan't them to not be able to hit anything?

If someone is weak and has degenerative disorders, they certainly shouldn't be trying to score hits with a pistol. They should have a carbine. Or, best case scenario, they should have someone around who cares about whether they live or die. Unlikely if they're in a nursing home.

Fuck, didn't even think about pulling the slide back. What is that, a single shot? Better than nothing I guess. But just get a shotgun at that point. They'll get one shot off anyway before they break something, but it will stop the guy at least.

this. i think unironically a break open double barrel shotgun is probably the best choice here, in a short enough barrel where its fairly light.

either that, or load up a semi auto 10/22, leave it chambered with the safety off, and in a safe place where it wont fall down but they can reach for it fairly quickly, and hope the first shot is a good enough deterrent

FN Five Seven?

Hey doc, where's my fucking paid meds? Now get in, we're going to Turkey, I gotta a guy over there who has the premium stuff.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 25K)

no its a semi auto beretta, but the barrel tips up to chamber, you dont rack the slide on it. they come in 32, 380, 25, and .22 i believe. i would recommend the .32 or 380 if possible. but again, the trigger pull might be an issue here. it really depends on how disabled or handicapped the elderly person is. can they squeeze a 6 pound trigger? maybe with 2 fingers even? you would have to coach and train them but if they are so febrile and arthritic they cant pull a 4 pound trigger, i really dont see them fighting off an attacker. they probably take 20 minutes just to get out of bed, how are athey going to reach for a gun in the dark.

if OPs grandparents are like 80+ then he should be running defense for them. the older people get the more incapable they become. you wouldnt start a thread asking what handgun to get a 4 year old for home defense right? so why would you leave your 90 year old grandma alone in a house?

i do think this is a great firearm for older but not super geriatric women

youtu.be/uGkbnV_OyY0

My four year old lives with me, so big difference, and a four year old isn't typically by themselves or without an adult near. If the old person is that bad then how in the hell are they going to do anything? Just one shot off with a shotgun, they'll fall over but it will scare off whoever and they don't really need to aim it and it will alert the neighbors, assuming they can all hear it. A good shotgun will easy to pull the trigger on and less recoil, but still horribly bad, better than just "here's my med Jamal." Nice gun though, I'll Google it, not a bad idea.

did someone say .22

Attached: taurus_raging-hornet.jpg (640x426, 40K)

That is a nice little gun and good for the elderly, the only issue might be the trigger as the other guy is saying, but not bad for elderly overall. It's something I would give my mom, who's not too old.

>n
thats my whole point. once a person gets old enough, they become dependent like a toddler. you wouldnt trust a toddler to defend itself, so why would you expect some geriatric 90 year old gam gam who needs her walker and oxygen tank to repel a home invasion with some firearm?

i think if OP is trying to get someone like his mom who might be in the 60-70 age range, then a little tip up beretta pistol or ready to rock pistol caliber carbine arent bad options. but if this person is severely disabled then OP should be adding some sort of capable human to the defense, not expecting the geriatric to fend for themselves

My vote goes to .45 Long Colt out of a S&W 460. Makes a .45 feel like a damn .22 and you'll still be the most badass grandad in that nursing home

Attached: SMITH-and-WESSON-460-VXR_100976424_70879_0107858C40BA8638.jpg (800x495, 52K)

Yeah i plan to buy one for my mom soon, thats my exact intended use. She cant rack the slide of a 9mm glock, even with proper technique due to some arthritis. and she would probably limp wrist a polymer delayed lock gun like a glock anyway and jam it up in a shot. shes capable enough on her own but just lacks a bit of hand strength. its all a compromise. obviously we cant expect our moms to become tier 1 delta force warriors and expect them to tap rack bang and clear malfunctions. mine has no desire to train, so the compromise is a few shots from a handgun is probably better than zero defense if shes alone and its good enough to get most criminals running the other direction, plus the fact that most times a gun is presented the fact it exists and the criminal becomes aware of it is usually deterrent enough

>becomes aware of it is usually deterrent enough
deterrent enough before any shots need to be fired

*finished my post

if you guys got mom-gun suggestions im all ears, i want to get her something for defense but have some of the same problems mentioned in thread already. i know she wont train or care about practice, and she doesnt have the best grip strength. should i just leave her with a chambered AR15 safety in ON position? lol

Well I posted this already but you ignored it, S&W literally designed a gun for people like your mom, it's deliberately low recoil, easy to load and has an easy to grip slide that requires minimal force to retract

Attached: mp-shield-380-ez-pistol.jpg (600x615, 135K)

>didn't even think about pulling the slide back
just leave one in the pipe with grandma after you drop it off.

I share OP's desire for this, because I'm trying to find a good caliber for my mother. She's tried my dad's 9mm and she says the recoil is too much.
I've suggested .32 and .380, possibly 5.7 if it gets that bad.
Is there anything else I'm overlooking? I don't want my mother to be left using a dinky .22 revolver in self defense.

if he can't lift it it won't do much good

.357 revolver loaded with .38 is the usual recommendation for that scenario. heavy frame dampens the recoil of the .38, simple to manipulate and fine to leave in a drawer until they need it.

see

>If you are recoil sensitive...
...leave firearms alone until your balls drop.

A semi auto .22. Tell her it's like shooting somebody with buckshot one pellet at a time, and she needs to practice magdumping.

awesome thianks. unfortunately im in cuckfornia so its not on the "safe roster" of eligible guns. sucks man

If you're "recoil sensitive" the best thing for you to do is man up and stop being such a colossal faggot.

>weaponry is only for macho men like me, everyone else must cower and beg for our protection
go back to your cave, grug

>are there any nursing home defense rounds?

Holy fucking brainlet. A firearm in a nursing home? Do you have any idea of the mental condition of the average patient in a nursing home? Do you have even the slightest idea of how people with Alzheimer's and or dementia behave?

>the right of only whippersnappers to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

get a relatively heavy 380, glock 42 or a bersa
Almost no recoil and somewhat descent ballistics

Word of caution about the Shield-EZ. I got one for my wife
>inb4 "good trade
And they are prone to failure to feed if limpwristed.

Second'd.

Get your mom a revolver in 38 special. Or 357 but use 38spl to practice. Lots of women have trouble racking slides, and I'd imagine it'd be worse with arthritis. Gun malfunctions might require you to remove the magazine, rack the slide, insert the magazine, and rack it again. It's a lot to take in for inexperienced shooters, and can be intimidating.

As long as she can pull the trigger, 5 or 6 shots will be enough to deter a nigger. No failures to feed, stovepipes, magazines to load, to insert, to remove, and if there's a dud in the cylinder, she can just pull the trigger again.

The problem with micro pistols is that light guns make for lots of recoil. First time I fired a SA Army in 45 Long Colt I thought it was going to break my wrist before I took the shot. Turns out when your gun weighs 3 pounds, most of the recoil is absorbed. It was more pleasant to shoot than my Ruger LCP chambered in 380. Tiny gun, not a lot to hold onto, light weight.. Small guns are snappy. Obviously a 6+ inch barrel fuck huge revolver wouldn't be ideal. Any S&W J Frame, EAA Windicator, Ruger LCR, SP101, even a Taurus 856 or Rock Island Armory in 357 if she's on a budget. I tried to get my girlfriend on all sorts of semi autos. From micro to full sized. If there was a malfunction, it threw her off. Revolvers are just simple. She's never had a problem with revolvers.

you talk like a nigger and your shits all gay.

>be a physician
>previously work in military but as contracted civ
>now works in a nursing home because all the neuropsych is going into private pay offices and geriatric care is medicine's redheaded stepchild
>we love our residents. we just mostly hate their families who in turn hate us because we're using said resident's retirement savings and medicare benefits to provide comfort to them during their silver years (instead of using it to pay for said family's new car or pool).
>carry everyday cause no one's taking any of my residents before their time
>carry a 1911 even though I love striker fired cause the old vets get a twinkle over the gun

Attached: 1461450580732.jpg (700x525, 63K)

Obviously a mounted gun would work best for nursing home defense. An M240 Bravo on a tripod is heavy enough to soak up recoil, plus since it's mounted the old folks can fire from a seated position without lifting it. All you'd really need is an orderly to set it up in a defensible position and wheel one of the patients over to it.

why limit them to a fixed postilion?

Attached: LM100-2T.jpg (303x227, 28K)

Its better than throwing pencils at the bad guy

a american here right here

My grandma cc a 44 mag revolver in her purse

>if i swear enough people will think im alpha

Based outside the box thinker. 240s/tripods for all

kek

now this makes me proud to be an american. thank you for your honorable service to our society

Attached: 1541489515903.jpg (480x480, 40K)

WMR actually has a funny potential niche, which is providing Canadians with legal unlimited magazine capacity.

crack siiiip, just doing my job Sir. Fortunately, I haven't had to neutralize any threats with a firearm yet. It'd be an easy decision to make, but I imagine it'd be a hard one to live with - taking a life and all that.

Truth be told, a fair percentage of physicians carry - at least in the areas that I've been: GA, FL, AL, NY, NJ, PA, AZ, OH, MD, and VA (you travel a lot when working with military and gov). Usually the careers that involve procedures or encounter trauma. We work in gun free zones, but those under our care are very vulnerable. Those that carry or are gun knowledgeable will acknowledge each other. It doesn't make us all buddy-buddy, but we'll nod to each other in the hallways or frequent a specific range.

I recently joined a farmer's club. The range is ok, but there's this elderly fellow who manages the grounds at said club. Years are starting to catch up to him. Quiet fellow, but he's a staple to that community. He spends his days fixing things up and saying hello to the people that pass by. I paid the fee cause every now and then, I'll head out with him on a weekend to maintain the outdoor range and keep tabs on his health. He doesn't know I'm a physician and that's fine. He's probably helped more people in his own way than I have.

Attached: 1464101810424.jpg (490x890, 77K)