How Long is to Long in a Barrel?

What would be the maximum length barrel for maximum power and distance and how does the length effect the power of the bullet

Attached: geoduck.jpg (800x411, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F4_Kvragu2M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 1551581676450.jpg (960x960, 50K)

would a ten foot .38 cal barrel be better then a 22" one?

Attached: pix192764266.jpg (275x103, 5K)

Attached: 1550778482764.png (800x600, 151K)

You're balancing the force of the compressed gasses to the friction of the barrel. Barrel length has diminishing returns in proportion to the cartridge and caliber fired.

some modern 5.56 loads are faster out of an 18" barrel than 20", so the maximum length probably has to do with the powder

a longer barrel lenght allows for more propellant to burn properly, and so more of that energy is converted to motion
the exact lenght is dependant on the type of round
faster burning propellant reaches its max speed in a shorter barrel, while more propellant needs a longer barrel to finish burning

I always assumed

Longer barrel= straighter trajectory, more spin, accuracy

But I dont know shit soo

ban evasion test

it actually depends on the round, user. If you're talking about .223 then yes, as a general rule you're correct

ecks dee rare peepee

wait, do bullets touch the inside of the barrel

no the barrel is just there to make sure it doesn't hit your hand it its initial phase

Too long of a barrel, and there's more friction slowing the bullet than there is gas pressure accelerating it.

For a very vague and over generalized answer, about a 20" barrel gets the most performance out of most rounds, except bigger rifle rounds, which can benefit from longer barrels, peaking at 35", or even 55" for really huge rifle rounds.

ffs, gtfo

Why do you think rifling exists?

To make bullet spin. I thought it just channeled air to force the buklet to spin I didn't think the bullet touched the barrel.

The bullet engages the rifling. Don't worry, I thought the same thing for the longest time.

fpbp

*goes the rifling in place

Yeah the bullet rubs against the rifle grooves and is made to spin. From the smallest rifles to artillery, they all use rifling to spin and improve accuracy. In smooth-bore there is also friction, since it needs to be airtight to use all the gas possible, just no rifling for the spin effect.

Like here, a fired and unfired bullet, you can see how it is scored by the rifling.

Attached: 7,62x39_bullets_-_unfired_and_fired.jpg (1985x2401, 883K)

>still using rifled tank guns

Go to bed britain

Huh neat. Thanks for teaching me something new.

Tank guns for the Abrams are smoothbore because we use KE Sabot for our main anti-tank weapon. Artillery is still rifled, obviously.

youtube.com/watch?v=F4_Kvragu2M