Modern use of swords as sidearms?

Combat knives aren't uncommon in the battlefield (mainly for utility purposes) but is there any modern militaries or armed groups that use such weapons?

Attached: images (4).jpg (189x267, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kultofathena.com/product-mg.asp?item=GI0001&name=German Hunting Hanger
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what's the name of that big knife? I'm on kult of athena right now and I want one

not OP, pretty sure it's this
kultofathena.com/product-mg.asp?item=GI0001&name=German Hunting Hanger

Perhaps not a sword, but certain machetes and other tools do see usage as melee weapons

Cold steel gladius?

thanks man

combat shovels
In vietnam, small personal axes got some use and at least once in iraq one was used but these werent issued weapons.

>melee
Spotted the Dungeons&Dragons nerd,

You know it user

aren't those tacticool tomahawks popular with some units?

good for skulls and peeling through car doors alike

Single edge hunting swords or sabres are my weakness.
As much as it pains me the age of the sword is over. Close combat is no longer dominated by melee weapons. Pistols and PDW's now take the role of the 'sidearm' in the old sense of the backup weapon used when you close the distance.
Main: Spear, Sidearm,Seax
Main: Pike Sidearm, Sabre/Rapier/Messer
Main, Rifle Sidearm, Pistol

Firearms are too powerful and versatile to even consider a sword as a serious weapon.

I agree. well pistols are my favorite type of gun at least. Melee weapons will always have their place as they never run out of ammo and theyre silent.

>Firearms are too powerful and versatile to even consider a sword as a serious weapon.
It's true, OP
The only times youd realistically pull a blade is
>youre out of ammunition/malfunctioned AND theyre out of ammunition/malfunctioned AND youre inside of a few yards AND neither of you has a team right behind you
>youre doing sneaky shit as a spook but normally a knife is preferred here
>somehow you got in a close range grapple with the bad guy but again a knife is preferred because it's a shorter stroke to pull from a sheathe that cant be stopped as easily
Even back when people were fighting wars with slow bolt actions swords disnt do well. Now we have auto loaders with 30 rounds on tap that you can mag dump on a guy a few seconds.

And before someone comes out, Mad Jack had titanium balls AND was scottish. You can't pull that thing off without both of these requirements.

Deus vult

Cunts in the Philippines carry swords around but as far as I understood, this is because traditional Flip swords were also engineered to be bush knives since ancient tribal Flips lived in the Jungles after all.

Attached: 1496467296943.png (554x595, 519K)

Gurkhas

Attached: 101688_1.jpg (285x214, 16K)

Some of the latest swords in actual military use was the Dutch Klewang, based on a light naval cutlass it makes for a great machete and with the complex handguard and bowie point it makes for a good melee weapon.

Attached: Klewang.jpg (1200x900, 242K)

Wish I had a bolt action sword

Sorry mate, I got only muzzle loading swords.

Attached: 54410003_B_big.jpg (800x500, 27K)

How about a bolt action spear?

Attached: 1041470.jpg (800x500, 33K)

>Guy_Spins_Scimitar_For_5_Minutes_Then_Just_Gets_Shot_By_Indiana_Jones.gif

how does the point help?

It helps with sticking it into somebody's centers mass more easily. That portion of the back edge is also sharpened.

Axe makes sense as it doubles as one of your primary useful survival tools. That and who wouldn't legitimately risk my life just for the cool factor of RPing as a crazy fucking Native. Huck that thing at someone's chest or scream like a banshee while you beat them to death with it, nothing better.

>theyre silent
Fuck no they aren't. People make a fuck load of noise when they die baring specific methods of dispatch that require a completely unaware target and can be done with a 4 inch blade.

My introduction to Filipino martial arts purported to be a crash-course system for teaching Filipino troops to use utilitarian machetes and knives confidently in combat should the need arise. I've been unable to source the origin of this system--the guy who taught me was a beginner-level student of an older Filipino guy with whom he lost contact.

Allows for back cuts for one

Only if you penetrate the CNS. Holding down a fully grown man and cranking a knife around in his insides while he desperately struggles and tries to scream for help for the 10-20 seconds it takes for him to lose consciousness tends to make a bit of noise even if you do compromise the throat first. Just a hell of a lot less than a gunshot.

Not silent at all my friend.

A knife, which is the most practical blade weapon to carry is still going to cause a shit ton if noise even if you splinter cell your target in the throat. He will gurgle and make as much noise as he can for the few seconds it takes for him to lose consciousness.

Assuming that you did have a sword or something similar (axe, machete, pick, etc) it still takes minutes if not hours to die from wounds to the torso, unless they are so traumatic that they cause the target to lose consciousness immediately. Knife attack victims commonly take multiple stabs to the abdomen and are still able to fight off thier attacker or escape the area.

There are a select few circumstances where a knife or blade weapon is more useful than a pistol and they are nightmare situations you should avoid at all costs.