What hearing protection do you guys use? I picked up a set of these and they are terrible. Now I know enver to go cheap...

What hearing protection do you guys use? I picked up a set of these and they are terrible. Now I know enver to go cheap. I would like to aim for something in the $100-$200 price range if anyone has any recs.

Attached: 71ZH84zrwHL._SL1500_.jpg (1119x1500, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/msa-sordin-supreme-performance-the-misleading-nrr18db-rating/amp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're fine for the range. You don't operate.

Not for me. They don't form a good seal around my ears and even if I hold them down they don't block out sound that well. I found that cheap winchester passive muffs worked much better.

I use a Howard Leight L3 with foam earplugs underneath. Never have to worry that I might overhear the RSO berating someone for no clear reason, and my ears feel just fine after shooting my AR despite the muzzle brake.
>cost me $16 on ebay, plus $1 whenever my foam earplugs get disgusting and need replacement

Stop being a sperg and wear them with foam as well.

My howard leights work great. I wouldnt use them indoors though

I wouldn't mind doing that if they fit me in the first place, but since I can't get a good seal I don't want to wear them.

Indoors is my only option right now unfortunately. The nearest place I can legally shoot outdoors is hours away.

Peltor SportTacs, 100s are $60, 300s are $100. 300s are designed more with headware in mind, have a better circuit, but seem like they eat AAs faster than the 100s eat AAAs.

how big is your fucking head? I wear a 7 3/4 hat and they fit me fine.

I usually just use high quality foam earplugs since muffs sometimes fuck with my cheekweld. Roll em up, push em until they touch the eardrum (gently, obviously) and it seems to work well. Noise isn't uncomfortable and I hear just fine after. Still I'm curious, is doing this likely to damage my hearing long-term? Loudest thing I'm shooting is .308 with a muzzle brake.

use those ear seals swimmers wear. shit rocks, like 20db NRR

Howard Leights are shitters, they only sell because they are cheap and people dont care about their hearing.

Normal sized head but there is a small opening above the mandibular process of my jaw where the bottom of the muffs rest and sound gets in. It sounds like I'm not wearing any protection at all.

With anything but the best muff, I recommend doubling up with foam earplugs when shooting indoors.

If you are shooting out doors and anything short of artillery, either foam ear plugs or some ear muffs should be sufficient. If worried or dealing with children, double up then.

If you know to never go cheap then go for Peltor Comtac III and never look back.

Get the noise fighter gel cups if you have a weird shaped dome.

What about the impact Pros? I wear those. $60 and 30 DB, electronic

What are the best muffs on the market now?

Its not like they are optic prices, so they can't be that expensive right?

Attached: 1550706417297.png (604x660, 575K)

Just get gel cups for those and they'll be way better.
I use MSA Sordins though, I like them a lot.

you're going to need gel ear cups to correct that, any traditional foam ones will never conform to a negative space like that. I suggest spending the ~20 bucks on that before shitcanning the leights.

As I said before, I have used other ear muffs that fit fine. Cheap winchester ones for example. In fact the Howards ar the only ones I have ever worn that don't fit well.

I will look into gel cups though bug I'm probably just going to shell out a few hundred for MSA Sordins. Hearing is not something I want to fuck around with.

comtac iii’s and earplugs. There are no muffs that are electronic and block enough by themselves and are slim enough to not interefere with cheekweld.

Attached: 818EA324-48E7-49E6-B2FB-EA832A410F76.jpg (788x699, 54K)

sordins cost that much because of the quality of their spund system. They have less hearing protection than most cheaper options. They also have had reliability issues for the past 10 years

This, double up with in-ears and electronic over-ears with the volume cranked.

You'll still be able to hear things around you without ringing yourself when your seal inevitably breaks for a microsecond.

>but there is a small opening above the mandibular process of my jaw
So why are you blaming the muffs on your genetic defect again?

sordin supremes because i like to spend my money on dumb gucci shit

this

This. Foamies ensure you're at safe db reduction while the electronics still let you have normal conversations.

I'm actually able to look down my sights.

Attached: 1537662184499.png (225x225, 32K)

Surefire earplugs. Muffs are stupid.

Attached: EP4BLACK.jpg (652x273, 23K)

My go-to is a pair of Leightning muffs. They look just like the current "L3" model but I think mine were the orignal. L1 I guess?

I also keep some packs of MAX foam earplugs around. If I'm shooting something with a really loud brake I'll use both.

Im not a poor fag so peltor comtacs III

Please tell me you can remove the fucking mic from those things for general range use.

try not having retarded head placement and shrug that shoulder retard

You can, but why ? The mic lets people know how alpha you are. Flexing is a serious consideration in defusing use of force scenarios

If you are poor maybe

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X, and plugs. With the gel cups they are divine

Attached: A22C324E-BAC9-4A7D-BD5D-E3DD0EDE1C8B.jpg (1000x1000, 112K)

>doesn't pair those up with a pair of Howard Leights
Is your only gun an SKS you got back in 2012?

Muffs when I want convenience (easy on/off)
Plugs most of the time. They don't get in the way, and cheapo Max plugs have a better noise reduction rating than most muffs anyway. Win-win.

Double up if you're paranoid or shooting big bores, SBRs with brakes, etc.

Peltors are far superior

peltors are fucking awesome. with the gel cups its like your ears are getting gentle ferengi oomox the entire time you're on the firing line

Attached: 9331894_02_3m_peltor_comtac_iii_dual_comm_640.jpg (640x480, 60K)

That one. I always double up, because it can't quite keep up with the decibels in an indoor range.

32 NRR plugs I got a giant jar of at CVS. I shoot outside so just the plugs are fine.

I spent 30 bucks for these Radians. They work surprising very damn well for cheap electric ear pro.

Attached: 20190326_191318.jpg (4032x1960, 1.98M)

Get the noisefighters, or any gel cup really. Or just get a pair of comtac IIIs. I switched to the peltors when my batteries leaked and killed my HLs. Worth.

Peltor 100s with the gel cups, super comfy. I double up with Surefire EP3s because I only shoot indoors.

Walker's Razors are infinitely better and only slightly more expensive on eBay.

I just use disposable foam earplugs. I never get any EEEEEEEEEEEE, but will that cause damage long-term?

>They have less hearing protection than most cheaper options.

No they don't. Read and learn stupid.

google.com/amp/s/trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/msa-sordin-supreme-performance-the-misleading-nrr18db-rating/amp/

>ferengi oomox

Attached: giphy.gif (600x327, 3.84M)

Depends what you're shooting and the environment you're shooting in.

Are they reasonably comfy? Do they cup around your ears, or just sit on top of them?

because i actually shoot and enjoy a good cheek weld for sporting clays

Attached: download (1).png (1920x1080, 737K)

>the big
No, the disposable earplugs generally work better than any over-the-ear earpro, even high-end stuff. They just don't show off how operator you are.

Its not just the size but the shape of youre head as well. I have the same issues with the hl impacts, they have thin cups and thin pads. They just dont fit me head well.
OP, gel cups are a worthwhile upgrade if you feel like keeping the impacts.

Fucking This
its like shop hands that actually wear them dont have hearing damage after 12 hour days of constant grinding

Picked these up Friday after waiting nearly 300 days. Also have a 45 cal can approved but the paperwork hasn't arrived at the dealer yet. I had the Omega on a bolt action .308 earlier and it's just too much fun to shoot with no ear plugs and hear the tremendous smack of the round hitting steel at 300 yards. Before having suppressors I used electronic muffs.

Attached: 20190326_202617.jpg (3593x1978, 1.78M)

Guns are loud as fuck user, this will damage your hearing over time. Doubling up helps a bit more but ultimately if you shoot thousands of rounds a suppressor + double up is the only way to be sure.

As long as you wear them correctly no. It's easy to have them in loose enough to cause damage yet snug enough to be comfortable and you don't realize exactly how much extra sound gets in.

I'm no ear doctor but I'm pretty sure letting them touch your drums allows vibrations a better path through the foam/rubber and onto the drum, leaving a gap reduced these effects. Imagine feeling a vibrating speaker vs touching it and how much more vibration you get that way.

implying check weld is even important. You dont into combat do you user?

Attached: vining-2.jpg (600x739, 123K)

If other people at the range and myself are shooting something not too stronk, ribbed silicone plugs. If it's magnum and muzzle brakes fest, doubling up with Beretta muffs.

HLs with gel cups. I go through a pair about every other year.
Buy the gel cups.
All shooting ears are cheap compared to aviation headsets.

I got a set of peltor comtac II's that I found...lying around...when I was in the ADF. I actually found 3 sets, but whatever

pretty good desu

>comtac IIs

quit being poor

I just ordered a pair of those tho OP, so too bad. You also said in the thread you shoot indoors, so that makes a hell of a difference in your fucking thread.

Of course they will be loud inside. You're surrounded by walls with sound bouncing everywhere, you dumbo. Just ear plugs and use those and shut up.

they work fine wtf are you shooting man

stop being poor and buy real ear protection of chink tier PPE

WHAT DID YOU SAY? WHAT?

In what way are peltors better than sordins? Not trying to debate just very curious

sordins are older tech than newer peltors. Theres a reason the military stopped buying them and went to peltor for all new procurements.

just ordered comtac iiis. otherwise ive always had walmart specials since i got into guns in 2011

So the take away here is OP has a deformed mutant head and now everyone has to spend 100s on the most operator gear for hearing protection? Typical newfag day on Jow Forums

Same here I've got a flat part on my head and they don't seal well on my left as well.
Also the audio input is trash so it's hard to listen to music while shooting.

this
impacts + plugs do just fine

Patrician reference, this man is confirmed for knowing the way of the space Jew.

>listening to music while shooting
what the fuck is wrong with you?

Explain to me one good reason not to listen to music while shooting.

I use $60 peltor range guards I got at Walmart. They work fine, don't interfere with cheek weld and are comfortable.

Unless I have some ear plugs, then I just use those.

I hear if you protect your hearing for a while the bells start to go away. Your hearing will never get back to normal I dont think, but tinnitus is allegedly somewhat fixable.

Attached: two-cigarette-butts-in-the-woods-stock-photography__k21166941.jpg (321x470, 69K)

How will you hear the deer creeping up on you if you have music blaring through your headset?

I dont listen to music while hunting, just while plinking.

because with electronic earpro you can hear the report of your gun echoing off the landscape and it's fucking amazing

Does poverty cause low IQ or does low IQ cause poverty?

>I am a freak of nature
>this is the products fault
You should e complaining to god, not 4channel.

How will you hear the homicidal maniac creeping up on you if you have music blaring through your headset?

Soft foam plugs with a bit of saliva on them to get extra deep.

>USPSA Master shooter

I don't care for the extra weight swinging around my head while running USPSA stages, and I've never found muffs that blocked as much sound.