First Gun

I'm shopping for a first gun, and I decided I want a bolt gun, preferably in 5.56, and definitely with iron sights. I think that pic related would make a good choice. It's not very large or heavy, and accepts AR magazines.
I went to a gun store that has a brand new one, but it's $520 on their website and was $580 on the tag in store. Is it a scam? Is this even a good choice? Are there any good alternatives?
>get an AR
I live in Washington, semi autos are pretty much a no-go

Attached: Mossberg MVP Patrol.jpg (474x411, 11K)

>it's $520 on their website and was $580 on the tag in store
what did they say when you asked?

we should really make a general or soemthing for first time buyers i see at least two of these threads a day also buy whatever makes you feel comfortable

I didn't because another sales guy came up behind me and started whispering "take me hommmeeeee" in my ear while I was holding it, so I got the fuck out.

>I live in Washington, semi autos are pretty much a no-go
Blue states have gun control laws literally worse than most Europeons countries. And yet there is no retaliation from the right or gun owners who claim to patriotic minute men that will uphold the Constitution and never give up their human rights. What a bunch of all talk pussies. The funny thing is Jow Forums will defend this

Price seems about right but I have heard they have feeding issues
I have a ruger in 5.56 that takes ar mags and love it, it has its own issues with light primer strikes though

Attached: 9C9DB57F-4107-4108-9858-8B8DE139006A.jpg (825x159, 13K)

>semi autos are a no go
Nigger what?
Also, idk what your motivations for 5.56 are but I would recommend getting .308 instead. It'll give you a hell of alot more versatility and 5.56 and is still good to learn on. I would also recommend against the Mossberg rifle as they're pretty low quality. I mean, they're fine for the price, but unless you're just that strapped for cash you'd be better off buying a better gun that you'll actually want to use as your shooting experience grows.

My first rifle was the Ruger scout. I've since bought many other rifles for various purposes (including an AR) but the scout is still the rifle I think to take whenever I go out in the woods. It's easily my favorite rifle despite having many more "Interesting" guns. Your first rifle should be something versatile and quality

>preferably in 5.56
If you're going for a bolt action rifle, why don't you go for .308 instead ? It seems that it'll be your "main" gun. Did you considered getting a levergat ? They are rather good alternatives to semi automatic rifles. I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 1894 chambered in .357 Mag, or a 336/94 in .30-30.

post your guns teenager

>started whispering "take me hommmeeeee" in my ear while I was holding it
lol, fucking wage fags

Attached: 1439607592794.gif (424x240, 923K)

>10 round mag

Only reason I want an MVP is mag compatibility with a full platform. It's a way to learn the caliber and collect mags before upgrading.

If you aren't planning on getting an AR then why bother? Or do you just not plan to any time soon?

Is that a Ruger American Ranch? I was looking that those, but I didn't really want to put an optic on it right away.
The scout is more than I wanted to spend for a first rifle.
I handled a levergun, but the action felt very strange to work. I read that they are not as good for a newbie. I also was under the impression that .308 costs more per round than 5.56.

ive got one in 300 black out, the version that takes ar mags. zero function issues with it. my complaint its its very cheap, even by cheap bolt gun standards. the trigger is surprisingly good though

Actually, some counties aren't enforcing i1639. When I get my first paycheck, I'm planning on heading to Yakima and buying a 10/22 or an AR. An SKS would be the dream, but I'm not sure where I can find one, especially one that isn't overpriced.

>I was under the impression that .308 is more expensive per round
It is but not by alot. It also gives you alot more versatility.
>the scout is more than I'm willing to spend on a first rifle
It's only 850, but i mentioned the scout more as an example of what I value about a first rifle. It's something that was extremely versatile, good quality and effective to learn on. Imo your first rifle should be something you will still enjoy shooting after you're well into the hobby and a developed shooter. From the sound of it, though, you're more looking for a throw away that you don't intend to use anymore once you get into something else. If that's the case, the Mossberg is probably sufficient

I'm not from the states, but if I can find here cheap 308 surplus ammo you should too. But 1) you won't shoot with a bolt action rifle as much as with a semi auto so it doesn't matter that much, 2) you do really gain a lot of terminal performance with 308 and recoil won't be problem since we're speaking of a bolt action rifle. You should really follow advice.

Levergats aren't that hard to use and maintain, it shouldn't be a problem for you. They also offer you a higher fire rate. The action may seem a bit weird at first but you'll get used to it very quickly. If you go for marlin just make sure to have a post 2016 gun, and miroku produced winchesters are really good.
A .357 Mag levergat produces roughly the same energy as 5.56 (longer barrel...), and can be loaded with .38, so it'll be cheap to shoot and easy to reload in the future. This option should really be considered.

CZ 527 in 7.62x39
Cheap ammo
Reliable
More aesthetic

Attached: cz-527-carbine.jpg (470x456, 34K)

>accepts AR magazines
Why do you care about that ? For what purposes do you plan to use a bolt action rifle with a 30 rounds mag ? It'll just make the rifle heavier and akward to move around.

I set 700 as my limit. I wasn't intending to have a throwaway rifle. I'll have to start looking around at rifles in .308.
Are there any particular leverguns to stay away from?
It looks nice
Spend less time changing magazines, and could use them in the future if I moved out of this state

Hello user.

I own that rifle in its .308 variant. Shits cash. It can accept AR10, M14 and FAL mags, no problem. It's my go to hunting gun and it works well. Pic related.

Buuuut. It had problems out of the box that required gunsmithing. Its pretty heavy, especially with a full size optic. The bolt feels loose and unusual, though it's mechanically fine and nicely milled. Probably part of the mag compatibility, which, again, is a huge plus and works well. Also it's pretty accurate with a 20" Heavy Barrel.

I like it, and I'll keep it till my dying day because I took my first deer with it.

Now the 5.55 version I have only ever heard bad things about. Apparently it was a swing and a miss by Mossberg. The mag compatibility is nice, again, but only for STANAG mags. And it's basically just a .223 Wylde barrel anyway.

There are many aftermarket chassis and stock mods that can give you that same compatibility in an overall better gun.

My .2c. If I were you I'd find a .308/7.62 rifle. Solid gun but make shes ship shape first.

Attached: 20170703_222331.jpg (3264x1836, 1.78M)

>Are there any particular leverguns to stay away from?
Marlins made between roughly 2008 to 2015 or 2016. Marlin became part of the Freedom Group (with also Remington) and the quality of their guns dropped. Other than that, not really. Just consider that Henry levergats have no loading gate but they produce great rifles - it just depends if you do care about having one or not.

How old are you?

What, you want someone to light up the state congress with an AR? You first, hero.

I think that's an excellent choice, OP.

Thank you anons

I am poor and need a basic bitch body-dropper for research purposes.

ex post facto bumpstock usurpation and tyranny incoming. One of us will eventually be the first man in the ground.

>700 dollar limit
Look at tikka's then. They're excellent rifles that go for about that much out the door

>came up behind me and started whispering "take me hommmeeeee"
lol wut, isn't that really unprofessional

Attached: 1552928091489.png (1334x750, 1.9M)

>I live in Washington, semi autos are pretty much a no-go
You fucking retard that is not how this works.

According to I-1639 noone under 21 can buy semi-autos.
It only matters if OP is under 21. Are you under 21, OP?
If you are then, yeah, you're fucked.
If you aren't then stop spreading bullshit and actually read the law.

Just saw this reply. Stop spreading bullshit, OP. Read the fucking laws instead of shilling.

Attached: wag.png (1200x714, 144K)

Gun Store emolyees are almost always chucklefucks who have no business in the business.

Country roaaads

If you're going to get iron sights on a bolt gun then make sure you read Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper.

You're 21, retard. Go buy whatever semi-auto you want.

see

Tell us of the heroic actions you have taken, please. Set the example, don't just talk smack.

Shortsighted faggotry. Maybe OP wants a gun he likely won't have to turn in, bury, or carry in the civil war within five years.

>I will only respect outlaws

That's a bold position friendo, and kind of a self limiting one.

>being an apologist for hypocrites

don't be that person

The end goal is total confiscation. If they get their way any gun ever manufactured will have to be turned in, buried, or carried to civil war.
If you don't believe that then you are a fool and you don't belong on Jow Forums.

Lever gun in .357 means if you go to a .357 pistol you only have to support the same gun fodder. And .357 out of long barrel has some good energy.

>I own that rifle in its .308 variant.
Groups are getting tighter and tighter.

Attached: Hornady Black A-MAX 168.jpg (2576x1932, 1.53M)

>5.56
.270 master race checking in

Attached: 935248B8-DDC3-4F78-A658-227822DA6CD0.jpg (4032x3024, 3.66M)

Mine didn't need any real gunsmithing other than the front rail screw need to be trimmed down a bit.
Taking it out to the local range pisses the shit out of fudds. I have the Patrol I wanted to drop it in a MDT chassis but they have stopped manufacturing them.

Attached: 1541727862893.jpg (2576x1932, 392K)

Different user btw.

Attached: 4D57D95B-33EF-4BF7-9865-A68F5DB37B2B.jpg (269x269, 13K)

This is totally false but keep being a reatrded piece of shit. Or better yet, just kill yourself.

>why would you want a relaible and cheap mag that could be used for other guns in the future?
20 round ar mags work great in my bolt action

OP here. I don't fancy taking mandatory lessons, paying extra fees, or consenting to the government checking my medical records every year to decide if I'm eligible to own a gun. I'm rather new to shooting, and would rather have a rifle to learn with as it is easier to control than a pistol. Hence, the desire for a bolt gun. (Or maybe a levergun)

Taaaake meeee home

Fair enough. I'd sell you my AR as it's unreconcilabley boring but I'm definitely not taking 700