Are you ready for the service rifle of the future?

Are you ready for the service rifle of the future?

investor.textron.com/news/news-releases/press-release-details/2019/Textron-Systems-Delivers-Next-Generation-Squad-Weapon-Technology-Demonstrator/default.aspx

Attached: Fh8pcWm.jpg (1440x810, 106K)

We will be using AR pattern rifles for the next century, wont we?

whatever happened to that weird ass solid ammo shit that guy made from his garage? i forget the name of it.

So what's the plan? 6.8 telescoped rifle/dmr/saw hybrid + .338 mg?

Probably, seeing how versatile it is. You can make the design take just about any caliber and accessories are very universal. It really is one of the best designs, logistically speaking.

I predict a change to 7.62 over 5.56 in the coming years.

I predict no army anywhere will ever revert to 7.62 for general issue.

So what you're saying is, we've peaked in small arms design

I predict we'll adopt 6.8 in intermediate and full-power chamberings, realize that it gives no actual benefit over 5.56 in a carbine, and go back to 5.56 because it's lighter, while keeping the full-power 6.8 replacement for 7.62 NATO.

5.56 is a pretty small round with not all that much stopping power, yes it does the job but it could do better, mind you we haven't had a global conflict in many many years now that pushes nations to design new armour systems for both infantry and vehicles.

Actually man, switching from 7.62x51mm to some 6.8mm round (6.5 Creedmor?) seems like a good idea, possibly one that might happen.

Attached: 1551463706547.jpg (500x681, 102K)

>5.56 is a pretty small round with not all that much stopping power, yes it does the job but it could do better
It does just fine at the ranges that infantry rifles and carbines are meant to be used at. It has a bad rep in the Stan because fights are taking place with rifles well out of the effective range of those rifles or of the soldiers' ability to hit anything even if they did have a longer-range cartridge. The real solution to long-range firefights is to (1) use more DMRs and LMGs that can reach out that far and (2) find a better way to close the range and get in where your rifles can do something.

'Tis a very good point

Should I buy textron stocks?

India straight up is right now, you dingus

5.56 isn't going to be around much longer though. As soon as we come up against an enemy with decent body armor it's going in the trash.

We will be using things that LOOK sort of like ARs, but at a certain point will cease being ARs. Kind of like the Springfield 1861s vs. the Brown Bess Musket.

>an enemy with decent body armor
Great, except unless you propose making the standard issue a.300 Win Mag power tungsten AP round, decent body armor TODAY will stop anything you're firing out of a standard issue shoulder rifle, and it's only getting better.

If you lived in the 50's.

>Some aerospace conglomerate wants to make rifles that it has not current facilities or personnel for such manufacture.

This is gonna b gud. It's another "The U.S. Army is going to use our guns" Episode.

Attached: 1553048740111.jpg (446x598, 20K)

>Ctrl+F
>No Xm-8
Not impressed, baka my head senpai

>he doesn't have miniaturized EFPs

What is this, 2020?

what happens when someone mass produces a graphene based armor with a nano-diamond strike plate?
how will we pierce that armor out of a 20 inch barrel?

We peaked in the idea of combustion projectiles. That is correct.

>nano-diamond
What about the nano turns diamond into a suitable material for body armor?

Yeah I'd like to see that swap. Maybe eventually

diamond nanothread is an extremely stiff and strong material that could potentially lose less strength after an impact than nanotubes do

>5.56 isn't going to be around much longer though. As soon as we come up against an enemy with decent body armor it's going in the trash.
Nibba what is m995 for the Daily Double?

The other way around. They were paid to research polymer CT cases and now paid to make a rifle for it.

Literally the story of the AR-15

Son of a bitch.

ARMA was right about was adopting 6.5

We're going to be using AR pattern rifles until we make the switch from firearms to energy based weapons or lightweight railguns.

>Some aerospace conglomerate
it worked pretty good for the ar