What does Jow Forums think of portable mortar containers

What does Jow Forums think of portable mortar containers

Attached: patria nemo mortar container.jpg (640x449, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

patria.fi/en/products-and-services/mortar-systems/patria-nemo-container
youtube.com/watch?v=pLns_5xadtA
soldiersystems.net/2017/02/28/spartanat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think they are pretty cool and make an amount of sense, but I would put it on a carriage with shooting braces so you don’t need a crane to move it.
Also I’d like one in my backyard for when my boss tells me I have to work Saturday so I can blow up his truck remotely.

So basically goddamn trailer or self-propelled artillery, which is already better because it's fucking mobile and already exists.

Attached: 64173150.jpg (213x236, 27K)

The container can be airlifted as being a feature. Airborne mortars were still a revolutionary idea, even in the 80's.

Attached: HelicopterandMortars.webm (856x480, 2.83M)

So it's less portable that standard towed artillery due to needing specialized container-handling equipment to move. What's the fucking point?

It's an interesting idea and I could see why many customers might go for it. The ability to make a mortar carrier out of anything you can put a 20' intermodal container on seems useful, or a 'haul and drop' firebase.

You can shoot it from the truck to make a poor man's mortar carrier and everyone's logistics is made to haul around intermodal boxes anyway.

patria.fi/en/products-and-services/mortar-systems/patria-nemo-container

youtube.com/watch?v=pLns_5xadtA

soldiersystems.net/2017/02/28/spartanat/

Attached: Patria-Nemo-Container-Boat.jpg (440x330, 39K)

So it can fit two?

Interesting treatment for modular deck guns

i need this

cute
CUTE

Omnitech is here.

Mechs arent far off the horizon.

Attached: lelkid.png (329x243, 197K)

going to throw out a possibly stupid idea here what if you put wheels on it to be truly portable

Attached: 1541314200439.jpg (1920x1080, 271K)

What, like putting it on a truck? Because that's trivially easy and there are like a billion trucks that can handle a 20' container.

bear with me, because this may be crazy, but what if, this mortar box had more armor around the box, and wheels to make it portable?

something that carries mortars where it's needed or can fuck off if things get hot. crazy idea, i know. like a mortar carrying system. or armored truck of carrying mortars.

Attached: m1129_stryker_mortar.jpg (600x429, 96K)

There’s videos of them being on the back of trucks and shooting direct fire on the move that are pretty sweet

There’s videos of them being loaded on the backs of trucks and shooting direct fire on the move.
Counterbattery would fuck them up stationary obviously, but being able to make a regular truck a technical with that kind of capability is pretty neat

Because putting enough armor on to resist small arms fire is expensive. It's also a precaution that isn't exactly vital, few unarmored mortar carriers are lost to small arms fire.

>Wheels to make it portable.

Like an intermodal trailer? They cost a tiny fraction of what a striker does and can be pulled by basically any prime mover. If one breaks you can replace it easily.

Attached: Standard-20-3-e1479787065370.png (600x300, 272K)

Can it be buried with only the turret exposed?

>Not getting two fourty foot trailers
>Not painting the tractor red and blue
>Not yelling AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT while four 120mm mortars go off at once in your train of death.

If you are using heavy mortars in a direct fire situation you are using them wrong.

Attached: 1487102881345.png (354x378, 140K)

Did you forget that arty is also 20x more powerful and effective?

>get a ton of these
>make towers of containers, with these at the top
>put them on a container ship
I'm really excited for Waterworld to become reality.

Well, it's a mortar so if you don't mind losing direct fire you can dig a mortar pit for them without the turret exposed. Otherwise there is no reason you can't go hull down with one if you keep the exhaust, intakes and door accessible.

A 120mm mortar has the same amount of 'fuck you' as a 155mm rifled artillery but weighs much, much less. If you don't need the extra range the mortar is just better.

It's thinking like this that creates things like the m2 Bradley. Scope creep and ignoring occums razor are bad mmmkay

Make it 100% auto and they would make great delay units for a retreat.

Can we mount hundreds of these things on top of container ships? Imagine the violence that could be had if you were commanding an inconspicuous container ship next to an enemy port, then wham, you're hitting the land with hundreds of 120mm mortars.

Attached: 1524020892849.png (549x560, 258K)

>not using autoloaded heavy mortar as a 120mm grenade launcher in MOUT

sounds pretty rad to me anyway

Attached: 02-820x340[1].jpg (820x340, 40K)

I was about to post the same picture. 120mm carrying Strykers make the mortar Chu kind of redundant.

Honestly why isn't most military equipment designed like this? It just makes logistical sense given trains, trucks and cargo ships are all designed to work with standardised sizes of cargo. Therefore designing to work with those sizes means you can rely on civilian infrastructure and vehicles far easier.

Why is it not possible to produce an entire FOB in a sort of flat-pack cargo system? Builders have living quarters, offices, generators and kitchens in this style designed already. All a military really needs is mobile hospitals, communications arrays and so on but fact is once you've got a fairly simple system based around this set up you can easily throw together new designs.

Not to mention you could use it for disaster relief: huge amounts of mobile living quarters, kitchens, hospitals, generators and so on that can be moved by any surviving roads, rails or even rivers? Add in a model of helicopter capable of carrying one of these as cargo (might not realistically be cost-effective but damn it would be useful) and their mobility becomes insane.

Now you're thinking like a man with a tattoo on his dick.

The simple answer is mobility. Semi's with trailers are fine in flatlands, well protected by armored vehicle convoys but try that shit Afghanistan where the only roads these heavy trucks can go happen to be perfect places for choke points and IEDs.

I suppose but if another war is ever fought in Europe or North America, I'd say they'd be a good resource.

That or if you had a large number of tracked vehicles that could move them. Perhaps putting them on skids similar to those used by arctic vehicles so they could just be dragged off road so you don't need to actually load them onto a carrier.

You mean like a truck carrying a container painted with a Red Cross insignia but is actually fitted with 4 supersonic anti ship missiles that was a part of a convoy and just stopped on the side of a road because supposedly the driver wanted to take a leak?

Hmmm, haven't heard of that one.

It would be good if you can readily put that container on a ship, that would really put the modular in modular ships. You can even change the container to carry flying drones for recon or a towed sonar array. Or just regular containers carrying supplies. America should make one such ship since it has no analog anywhere in the world.

I don't know why but this hit me right in the giggle switch.

>You mean like a truck carrying a container painted with a Red Cross insignia but is actually fitted with 4 supersonic anti ship missiles that was a part of a convoy and just stopped on the side of a road because supposedly the driver wanted to take a leak?
I mean, sure, that'd be one example but I'm not even talking about hidden attacker units. I am looking at it from a logistics / standardisation point of view.

The idea of having a cargo ship go from the US to some shithole port in africa / the middle east / asia / south america, unload 400 odd containers of military ships onto 10 trains and essentially having a lego-base with any system you could want and fit inside of that space limitation (or manage to fit into a few sections that then connect together).

>It would be good if you can readily put that container on a ship, that would really put the modular in modular ships...Or just regular containers carrying supplies. America should make one such ship since it has no analog anywhere in the world.
Ah, you're being a cunt.

>Ah, you're being a cunt.
Sorry but I'm not Australian. And China already has that standard containerised weapon system so if America makes one themselves it will only be a copycat.

>like a truck carrying a container painted with a Red Cross insignia but is actually fitted with 4 supersonic anti ship missiles
That would be an incredibly dumb idea unless you were in an absolute state of desperation. Just like the idea of the Chinese missile containers being fired from a civilian cargo ship.

Thought that was someone having some fun with a fridge box by the thumbnail

They could be concealed behind other containers. That said, I assume ports have radar. C-RAM radar?

Attached: mortarship.jpg (474x266, 27K)

Red Cross gets shot up and bombed by NATO and our enemies alike already. Whatever cherry you're thinking of has already popped.
> Just like the idea of the Chinese missile containers being fired from a civilian cargo ship.
It's called an armed merchantman and has been part of every naval conflict ever. Missiles are an equalizer that allows any ship to destroy any other ship.

>when russians made this, burgers laughed and say it's a joke
>then when burgers stole the idea, IT'S PERFECT

Attached: eag.png (489x668, 289K)

I think I want one in my back yard

>portable mortar containers
Aren't mortars already portable? Why are you adding a fucking conex?Adding a giant metal box that doesn't drive makes it remarkably less portable than it would be without the giant metal box.

Link?

Seems like a good idea for armies that have a tight budget and rely on civilian infrastructure to operate. That is a Finnish thing, right?

Atleast it doesn't look like a faggot from Brazil.

Attached: 3ytvwyzeekd01.jpg (1080x1333, 127K)

An armed merchantman is acceptable when acknowledged as acting on behalf of your navy.
Concealing and using weapons from an otherwise civilian ship in the current era is a surfire way of having all of your civilian vessels targeted as potential combatants. If you are okay with those kind of losses go for it but you don't get to scream about war crimes after the fact.

Does the tattoo read "welcome aboard"?

>What does Jow Forums think of portable mortar containers
One of the most retarded ideas I've seen this month.

would have been a great idea 50 years ago. However what would its practical applications be now besides some sort of ww3 larp?

It's too expensive to give to 3rd world shitholes and likely tough to train those countries in their use.

Anything worth that sort of attention and firepower can probably be handled a dozen different ways already.

Are you so fucking stupid you think Finland is part of America?

>Red Cross gets shot up and bombed by NATO and our enemies alike already.
Lol, imagine the backlash from humanitarian groups if this 'really' happens. Tough luck but it's a warcrime if you hit the Red Cross, more so if it is the Red Crescent.

Is it not?

Man, its still an eagle and is therefore a rad animal

Attached: Majestic Golden Eagle.jpg (960x640, 143K)

This is what scared and confused looks like before it invades you country, knocks over your government and installs a puppet government of its own.

Attached: bald-eagle.jpg (1200x800, 65K)

Finland is still part of the Russian Empire which the Bolsheviks tried to illegally dissolve.

Bears are frequently hunted for food. Bald eagles are protected. Check mate.

mortable portal containers are better

Attached: 1540811626581.png (512x215, 109K)

You don't need a crane, haven't you ever seen a jobsite dumpster dropped off? Just takes a specialized flatbed from the motor pool. They should just call these dumpster mortars.

Sauce?

Battleships are about to make a comeback

Attached: 3898801499_6eeaf30af5_b[1].jpg (1024x683, 279K)

Yup and the new ones have amazing tech too, and come in various sizes- you can have a team of 3 or up to 7 operating in one in shifts, and can be deployed anywhere within hours.

honestly america should annex finland to troll the vatniks epic style

Attached: 1545353258282.gif (300x223, 1.34M)

Except mechs are stupid.

Someone send this to the Ace Combat guys. We’ve got a plot point for 8.

Drop these automated fuckers all over and have drones calling in shots.

The future is now
this is some wicked stuff

The fire controls are completely automated, just hook one up to counter battery radar and light up any fuckers who try to mortar your compound. It's accurate enough to easily pop moving targets, seems like the ideal weapon for stopping armored vbied's.

Sounds interesting, tell me more.

Attached: nemo.jpg (1140x593, 437K)