Ideal barrel length for 5.56: 16"

>ideal barrel length for 5.56: 16"
>forward assist is worse than useless
>BUIS are unnecessary
>polymer receivers are fine
>ambi controls should be standard

Tfw you realize they're right about everything and the AR traditionalists are this generation's fudds.

Attached: life partners.jpg (854x480, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1981/06/m-16-a-bureaucratic-horror-story/545153/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty agreeable other than ideal length of 16". 16" is not ideal if you want to: run a suppressor, room clear, ever have to get in and out of a vehicle with your gun.

That said below around 11.5in you should probably be running 300 blackout if you want to min max. But 556 is way cheaper so there are reasons to do it.

>AR traditionalists
Many modern AR's are the opposite of what Stoner wanted. That was the whole point of WWSD you brainlet.

There were definitely a lot of garbage polymer receivers previously so I don't judge people who avoid them. I picky with grip angle so I don't want a GWACS.

Forward assist makes perfect sense for a service rifle, polymer lowers do not.

Why'll carbine barrels are nice and easy to manuever, it takes away from the full potential of the 5.56, especially the 55 grain bullet, and the velocities it's supposed to reach to fragment properly upon impacting the target

the why didn't any of the German rifles had them despite there being FAs available for G3 rifles, and why wasn't the press-down FA feature for the FAL in all models?

I think they're speaking in terms of the everyman's rifle, it isn't going to be ideal for every scenario but good in enough scenarios to be the ideal choice, especially since 16" gets you around NFA bullshit

This is all true, but 16" is a good compromise between maneuverability/weight and terminal ballistics

We aren't talking about rifles that are being phased out or rifles that haven't been used by 1st world countries in decades, we're talking about why the forward assist is perfectly fine for service rifles. The forward assist makes perfect sense for an infantry rifle that doesn't allow you to manipulate the bolt directly because it allows the bolt to be lowered quietly. An example scenario where this has actually been done before would be when soldiers were bedded down for the night during a patrol in Vietnam and someone pulling guard duty went to alert his battery buddy because he saw movement or heard something. If one of them wanted to double check the status of their weapon or load it if it was unloaded for whatever reason they wouldn't lock the bolt back then release it at full speed alerting everyone in the vicinity like your dumb ass would do. They would check the chamber by pulling the charging handle back slightly while slowing the movement of the dust cover with the weak hand, chamber a round if they didn't have one chambered, lower the bolt slowly, and push on the forward assist the confirm that the bolt was completely closed. The above also applies to things like SOF operating in South America, or any sniper team in an urban hide.

Depends on the mission. If I am going to be clearing rooms or in vehicles a shorter barrel works better. My AR is a 20" though to get the most out of 5.56 without being too unreasonably long. I am not going to do any tactical shit with my rifle so I dont really need a shorter barrel. I mostly just use it for plinking and killing coyotes at range. I might get an AR-9 SBR or something in the future but I dont really have a desire to get a different AR right now. I'd rather look at something different / unique.

>Why'll

Attached: 1538932936915.jpg (456x810, 27K)

the forward assist is for reseating the bolt after a press check and if you think being able to press check isn't important, you're an idiot.

The scallop in the carrier was perfectly sized by Saint Eugene Stoner himself so you can do it with your thumb genius

>getting oil and/or carbon all over your thumb for no reason other than the fact that you're too stupid and stubborn to admit that forward assists are useful
Ok retard

>i want to add useless peripherals to my raifu because i don't want dirt on my thumb
t. You

I bet you have baby soft hands, faggot.

Attached: the-homer-inline4.jpg (660x330, 36K)

>I want dirty hands in a place where I have to waste valuable wet wipes cleaning them so I don't get CLP on my food because I take the opinions of youtubers as facts
lmao @ u

what if the bolt is hot

>Peripherals
You mean on the other side of the gun that you can't see? It's literally not going to block your view of anything

If the total relevant usage of the FA is to perform a press check, then Stoner's family name must have been Steiner at one point, cause that's German Autism.

then you pull back on the charging handle and let the spring do the work.

but then my precious ammo is on the ground. that stuff doesn't grow on trees

Not that far

look this may surprise you to know that semiautomatic guns are made to fling cases away but don't worry, that's normal.

>Why'll

Attached: 1550639643744.jpg (640x801, 91K)

>polymer receivers are fine

Attached: 15826457_10157920422135043_4765808041188764774_n.jpg (720x960, 77K)

This
Some of you have never lived in a bush for three days and it really shows

Attached: 90BAB923-C9DD-4FE9-A14E-E5A35828D5B8.jpg (3264x2448, 1.24M)

Not sure I'd still have a 16" if the NFA wasn't a thing. An inch and a half isn't going to extend the effective range of a bonded bullet by much, and every little bit off that barrel feels like it points faster.

>pic related it's (you)
Just wipe your hands on your pants jfc.

Attached: 1553345053833.png (193x200, 37K)

>>polymer receivers are fine
There's nothing INHERENTLY wrong with polymer lowers but if you use the dimensions of an aluminum lower and try to make it out of poly you're gonna have problems.
Poly lowers like the CAV15 are good, but that's because they don't bother trying to mimic an aluminum lower and reinforce the absolute piss out of it.
>>ideal barrel length for 5.56: 16"
Also 16" barrel is inherently a compromise between maneuverability and ballistics. It's a jack of all trades. It's literally not "the best" at anything.
>>forward assist is worse than useless
The forward assist has its place because the AR platform doesn't have a reciprocating bolt. It can also cause problems and make them worse though for sure, if you're retarded.
>>BUIS are unnecessary
BUIS are a redundancy. No they're not necessary but contingency plans are smart. They also weigh basically nothing so there's really not a reason not to have them.
>>ambi controls should be standard
Yeah, why not.

>Not sure I'd still have a 16" if the NFA wasn't a thing.
Well it is, so enjoy the midlengh gas system

You fail to mention the “Ive just had a malfunction and preformed SPORTS and my rifle absolutely has to work or I’m going to die” part of being an infantryman. Hitting to forward assist should be the last thing you do after clearing the chamber and checking it but hitting it and possibly correcting the issue is better than not having a rifle and being dead.

>Why'll

Attached: Capture+_2019-01-10-09-54-12.png (585x624, 278K)

18-20 is ideal for 5.56

Please elaborate?

We know what Stoner would have done, it's called the SR-15. InRange just designed a rifle suited for 2-gun matches and thought that was ideal for the battlefield.

Everything shorter than 20" is homosex.

Isn't that just an improved BCG, two stage trigger, and a handguard with a top rail that I still can't span with a cantilever mount

>neither of them have any combat experience at all
>they think because they run around and shoot paper targets timed they know what equipment is best for combat

two of the biggest pseudo intellects in the firearm community

Attached: communist.jpg (917x871, 73K)

why did you post pics of these two commie/satanist retards?!

Attached: 1523727278935.png (1746x1218, 86K)

I've seen enough of their videos to come to the conclusion that their standards for rifles are only geared towards 2-gun matches. i dont think they even hunt.

i did not think it was possible to use the wrong While before

Attached: 1547778376391.jpg (994x890, 139K)

Their 2 gun matches aren't seriously competitions they're just attempts to emulate situations where they'd use a firearm a little more realistically than bench shooting. Of course they're not in combat zones or stalking deer all day, but they're playing with a lot of different guns in different configurations and sharing what they think works. Of course take it with a grain as salt, but I don't see why shooting 2 gun matches suddenly invalidates all of their opinions, they're getting trigger time behind a lot of guns in different scenarios and playing with set ups. They're not getting shot at, but most of us aren't, either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really watch their channel and I find them condescending but I don't think they're wrong on account of shooting recreationally. I think most people would get the most utility out of a 16" AR with a carbine stock, and I'd suggest midlength to make the most of the few extra inches and turn lemons into lemonade while avoiding the NFA or pistol braces.

All of those opinions are retarded.

>muh combat experience

trading unaimed suppressing fire between teenagers is alot different than what your videogames would have you believe user.

what ass-chafed armchair patriot spent the time to make this image?

This desu. In my opinion they messed up in maybe not going for a more durable rifle thats more gruntproof and not having buis (the equivalent of a tucked away spare tire)

It chaps asses, but there's a lot of truth in that .png

i love when people get mad that an eceleb doesnt use Jow Forums as their home base

>ideal length ballistics wise is 20"; ideal length for room clearing is less than 16", but the NFA means that's what we get unless we want to do all the bullshit involved in a registered SBR
>forward assist, take it or leave it- you'll probably never use it
>I like my lowers not melting or catching on fire
>backup iron sights are a must
>ambi controls are nice
There- some anonymous guy on the internet fixed it.

i mean the name of the project was "What Would Stoner Do?" they went in with the assumption that Stoner would build a 2/3-gun rifle and not a combat rifle. idk maybe that was the point, i didn't watch the whole thing. maybe they should have called it "how would Stoner build a casual use competition rifle?" but that wouldn't have been as catchy.

The issue isn’t that he doesn’t use it, it’s that he’s opposed to the concept of anonymity because he can’t handle banter.

Bruh

>what is the thumb cut in the bolt

>>ideal barrel length for 5.56: 16"
A few more inches wouldn't hurt.
>>forward assist is worse than useless
Agreed.
>>BUIS are unnecessary
Look up the definition of backup.
>>polymer receivers are fine
You can get away with it since the barrel and locking lugs are the main load bearing parts, but I'd still prefer metal.
>>ambi controls should be standard
Lefties are subhuman.

>it’s that he’s opposed to the concept of anonymity because he can’t handle banter.
Jow Forums itself is against the concept of anonymity if you actually read the posts on here. Anonymity is the thing that lets literally anyone call other posters shills, saboteurs, samefags, etc. because it's pretty difficult to prove otherwise, destroying the possibility of good faith debate.

A mk18 w/ a suppressor is about if not exactly 16 inches, and that’s what almost 90% of SOCOM uses to clear rooms.

>the possibility of good faith debate
lmao have you ever been in /arg/? I guess because its full of trips its full of good faith debates

>retards are retarded so anonymity is bad because regards will abuse it. Never mind the fact you can just ignore those retards that can’t make actual arguments
Sure thing, retard.

why do people hate the FA so much? it's a passive component, weight and complexity it adds is negligible, and it has been proven to work. further, using it at all, correctly or incorrectly, is your fucking fault. you are the weapon's operator.
also polymer lowers fucking suck, why would you ever want one?

>BUIS are unnecessary

Attached: 1529373348882.jpg (391x547, 159K)

What trips me out about poly lowers is that they are modeled nearly identical to aluminum lowers (with the exception of cool-guy magwell flares). I believe most areas should be extra thick to account for a possible fracture/ melting/ whatever.

I know molding has really improved over the years, but man am I wary of any plastic being capable of thousandths of an inch tolerance in molding. I'd rather the extra lb.

5.56 is optimized for 20 inches of zoom zoom tube. Just use a bullpup and stop worrying your panties off about carrying around 5 different guns for all the situations the average rifleman could find himself in.

IMHO, the FA is ugly as fuck and looks like a tumor sticking out the side of the receiver.
slickside for lyfe nigguh althought I think slickside with only partial mag fencing is the most aesthetic

Because it doesn't belong there. It's a metal nub tacked onto the side jutting out from an otherwise streamlined design. Look at all the jokers itt struggling to dream up scenarios where it would help with anything. It's a fake hood scoop on an econobox.

Pic related is peak AR

Attached: apar610401ac-ar15-assembled-upper-receiver-no-forward-assist-black-1.jpg (1000x630, 39K)

>In the shit the military will make sure you wash your fingies before you have your chicken nuggets MREs

its not there to lower the bolt silently, its highly unlikely you'll be able to reliably strip a round off the magazine if you're riding the bolt forward. even moreso on a dirty ass service rifle. those stories are bullshit. the forward assist is for "my bolt wont close and I'm going to die if I dont fire this rifle NOW."

>14.5” pinned/welded
>carry handle sights or a flat top with a quality dot
>A2 front sight
>slim handguards
Basically a fucking M4 in my opinion is peak AR. Lightweight, durable, simple. I’d like to build one but I haven’t decided if I want to do XM4 style with a fixed carry handle, or throw my PRO on it

If your gun won't go into battery with the momentum of a spring loaded carrier being slammed forward, good luck trying to push it into place with your thumb.

The FA is like having an extra button on your keyboard that's not connected to the computer. It's a fake hood scoop and its only job is to collect bugs and debris.

What if your buffer spring is broken?

Early M16s were essentially working based on the .222 Remington cartridge, the first M16s literally copied the twist rate of .222 sporting rifles. To argue Stoner wouldn't have cared about competitive use is ignorant considering the M16 was built around a sporting cartridge, and basically had target sights. 20" was the right choice at the time given the lack of cartridge development, but 5.56 is not the same beast today that it was at it's inception, and considering mil spec twist rate is now 1:7, the AR of today favors a heavier projectile, minimizing the benefits of a 20" barrel. The M16 was replacing the M14, it was a handier rifle even with 20" barrel, but today it has effectively been replaced by even handier rifles, of course at a loss of some effectiveness, but modern projectile design make that loss negligible outside of increasingly specific scenarios. Don't get me wrong, I own a 20" AR but the argument that Stoner wouldn't have embraced advancements in design to increase practicality based simply on an absolute barrel length requirement seems pretty weak. And even weaker when the end user isn't reading off ballistic charts.

or weak

FA is cute

1. i never mentioned barrel length, maybe you responded to the wrong post
2. would you honestly take finkel and einhorns WWSD rifle into combat?

GWACS lower
Sounds great until you have to cram into an APC or shoot with a gas mask on hmm

>Stoner would build a 2/3-gun rifle and not a combat rifle.
Come on, dude, if you're not talking about barrel length then what are you even talking about? As far as I'm aware, the polymer lower they used is even a fixed stock closer to a conventional rifle stock than adjustable carbine, but don't quote me since I don't watch their channel. And they're not taking it into combat either, they are playing around with concepts. Why is it always straight to the extremes? They're not submitting the shit for combat trials as the next service rifle, they're playing around and seeing what works.

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1981/06/m-16-a-bureaucratic-horror-story/545153/

The first of several modifications was the addition of a “manual bolt closure,” a handle that would permit the soldier to ram a cartridge in manually after it had refused to seat properly by itself. The Air Force, which was to buy the rifle, and the Marine Corps, which had tested it, objected vehemently to this change. An Air Force document said, “During three years of testing and operation of the AR-15 rifle under all types of conditions the Air Force has no record of malfunctions that could have been corrected by a manual bolt closing device.” Worse, they said, the device would add cost, weight, and complexity to the weapon, thereby reducing the reliability that had been its greatest asset.

Years later, during the congressional hearings, Eugene Stoner said that he had always opposed a closure device, because “when you get a cartridge that won’t seat in a rifle and you deliberately drive it in, usually you are buying yourself more trouble.”

a 2-gun match is rifle/pistol. a 3-gun match is rifle/shotgun/pistol. hence 2/3-gun.

>a spring breaks
wat
>a spring gets weak
An event that is exceedingly unlikely and one of the most trivial components for an armorer to have.

Are y'all from the middle ages? AR's aren't made with khyber pass metallurgy.

holy shit, imagine being this retarded. This dude actually thought that peripherals was referring to peripheral vision.

>2/3-gun
Is this actually a thing? I've heard 2-gun, 3-gun, multigun, but that how would you even use this term in speaking?

The idea behind the series wasnt what stoner would do to perfect the ar15, vut what he would do to fullfil the original ar15s contract parameters

Ya I can't remember how many times I actually used it I used it so much. BCG never seating fully all the time.

As in 2 or 3. Did you think he meant it in a fraction?

Two-thirds gun action challenge

Attached: image.jpg (337x627, 63K)

three-fifths gun action challenge

Attached: dont rob George Lucas.webm (768x436, 1.02M)

yeh man hit em with that two or three

Attached: 1553138018140.jpg (194x258, 22K)

Oh my god I didn't even catch that
What a fucking moron

Attached: 1552036697708.png (640x773, 49K)

You are retarded. FA was added to make sure the weapon is in battery in adverse conditions. It is not cosmetic, brainless.

Would be nice if gwacs offered different grip angles or the ability to add your own grips. I prefer magpuls k2+ grips.

thought they went with 14.5" barrels

Allegedly the grip is going to be addressed in Gen 3/4.

I'm sold when that happens

>if you're retarded.
Suggesting that the majority of people aren't.

i agree entirely for civilian use ARs.

Agreed about both, but i don't think the polymer lower is the problem

>be me
>shooting AR
>trigger pin walks out partially
>somehow binds bolt
>cant pull back, mortaring doesn't work
>cant push bolt in from scallop
>smack FA like a disobediant child
>round chambers
>push pin back in
>continue firing
The forward assist has its uses, and that's why I always get uppers with a forward assist, and anti-walk trigger pins.

Attached: BCM Forward Assist Assembly-2.jpg (500x443, 36K)

Anti walk pins are absolutely useless except with poorly designed drop in triggers.

Forward assists are useless in all circumstances. If your bolt won't go into battery, it most likely means that the case is deformed. Forcing the round in and pulling the trigger on compromised brass is a fucking stupid idea in all circumstances.

I can't believe all you autistic faggots arguing over what these two idiots have to say about ars. Ian is a pompous girly boi with his little fem voice, and carl is a confirmed goth faggot wine connoisseur.

>plastic lower
Get the fuck outta here with that gimmicky garbage. Srsly, who uses that shit besides total retards? Have fun with your plastic toy until it breaks, kid.

>ambi controls, standard
Why? Most normal ppl are right handed. Why can't they just switch out the controls themselves, or adapt? Fucking retards. I'm going to laugh so hard when both these fags die of aids.

>Why'll

Attached: 96324625e5d1e8380102b2d64b21bb52.jpg (413x303, 18K)