So I live in Texas and my dad is looking to get a .357 revolver for self and home protection...

So I live in Texas and my dad is looking to get a .357 revolver for self and home protection. But he also doesn’t want to break the bank. His budget is around $250 and under. Preferably double action (I believe that’s the correct word for it) and a longer grip because the grip on some of the smaller guns doesn’t even reach his pinky. Any suggestions?

Attached: B87A123B-145C-43B3-8D2B-7B1BB812CC11.jpg (900x568, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TnCOnQtgmWA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go buy an M&P 9mm. Revolvers are fucking trash for home defense.

>$250
man your options are real fucking limited at that price point. Ruger Security 9s are regularly $275, and many halfway decent pistols around there too. Revolvers that cheap are gonna suck for the most part.
9mm ammo is way cheaper anyway.

>His budget is around $250
Can he sell a bit of his prescriptions to get a couple extra hundo for something that's not a used Taurus, because it's that or an Armscor.

This is the gun my dad likes for the price, the Taurus 605. but he doesn’t really care for the barrel length although he can deal with it. His biggest problem is that the grip is too short. Also he doesn’t like the rear of the gun, that weird hammer guard just doesn’t sit well with him

Attached: DA45ED15-DDB2-47E7-BF76-40C3607358AD.jpg (1155x1155, 75K)

>$250
>Any suggestions?
It doesn't even matter. It's all garbage.

It’s not like he can’t afford it really. He just prefers something that’s a little less expensive. I guess you can call him a little cheap.

He would prefer a revolver because he’s not very gun savvy and also a bit intimidated by a semi-automatic hand gun. Especially the whole magazine concept. He likes the fact that a revolver is simple and that he can see every round right in front of him.

>new trips

Attached: 1532746230428.jpg (800x1200, 678K)

Thanks Jow Forums. I came here for friendly consumer advice and all you guys said was “you’re stupid get a 9MM” “and let’s post tits” you guys really surpassed expectations.

Try an EAA Windicator. You may be able to find one close to your price range online but it'll be tough to stick to that $250 budget. If youre willing to spend a bit more your options can open up.

If you want a revolver that isn't trash you're going to pay at least $350.

Thank you! By any chance would you happen to know of anything that might even be $300-350? Maybe I can convince him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jesus Christ I'll never understand this cheapness. Your dad wants to buy something he would use for defense? Something that his life may depend on? Plan on spending $500, look for a Ruger or S&W. You may find a nice used one for $350 or so, but you should know how to examine it to make sure it isn't fucked.

I agree, the cheapness is dumb. And it didn’t help that the guy at academy told him that even if he uses his gun lawfully in self defense the police confiscate it and you can never get it back. So now he REALLY doesn’t want to spend a lot of money.

Where in Texas? If he's near Dallas, tell him to go to Jackson Armory near SMU and look over their revolver display. They got a number of Rossi and Taurus revolvers that they sell on the cheap.

Give him an extra 100 bucks and scour Armslist/GunBroker for old Smith & Wessons in good shape.

Old Model 13s are particularly good.

We’re near Houston

>the police confiscate it and you can never get it back
Fucking Zimmerman got his gun back. No cop is going to steal your dad's shitty revolver.

He really wants new. Also he wouldn’t know what flaws to look for in a used gun.

He should just pony up for a GP100.

A Taurus? Really? Dude, a brazilian cop got shot in his foot because the shaking caused by his leg movement fired the gun.

He won’t give $300 for a self defense open carry gun. How do you think he would spend close to $800?

Taurus Judge, borther.

Attached: Taurus-Judge-Public-Defender-2-441021FDE-725327612360.jpg_1.jpg (500x500, 28K)

He wants to go cheap. What can I say?

Charter arms

>I came here for friendly consumer advice
go fuck yourself nigger. And the other anons are right- a cheap 9mm is a better (maybe only) choice if his budget is less than 300. If he still wants a revolver, he will need to add a benji or two and go for what these guys said As far as flaws in a used gun, it's a revolver, not a space machine. Look through the barrel and see if it's clean and smooth- no pitting or irregularities. wiggle the moving parts and see how much give they have. cock the hammer and pull the trigger (with your thumb on the hammer, so you can slowly release it and not dry fire it). You should be able to tell if it's in OK shape or not.

Thank you I really appreciate the advice. I have a feeling I’m not going to convince him to go for a semi automatic even though that he knows a cheap 9 mm semi automatic will be much less expensive than any kind of revolver so we’ll just have to find out

My condolences.

Nice trips tho.

I know your dad's type. Maybe he's not even poor, he just doesn't like spending money on shit that isnt his car, his house or himself. Point is, he's really fucking himself by asking for a super cheap firearm that will cost more to feed over time, and due to a gap in the market, may not be as well finished as even a $250 9mm pocket pistol.

Your thread is shit, trips are gay, you as a person are a faggot, and your dad is a cheap faggot. It must run in the family. Don't piss and moan about being called a dumbass when you ask stupid questions on Jow Forums of all places. 250 dollars for a revolver is ghetto blaster territory, unless you absolutely rape the seller on the price. Unless you want to roll the dice on your potmetal import, ~500 dollars is an acceptable beginning point. Good used revolvers start about there. QTDDTOT exists for a reason, tripnigger, use it next time.

tell your fudd ass boomer dad that this isn't 1950 anymore and you can't just go buy a good brand new gun for $250 out the door. fuck off and ask /hgg/ or better yet go ask reddit

Suggest a baseball bat and using you as a meatshield to get close enough to bash the intruder.

Jesus this thread was painful to read. Tell your dumbass boomer dad he will not find a new revolver of any kind for that price, besides a Heritage Rough Rider. Tell him to stop being such a cheap fuck, he’s gonna have to cough up at least another $200.

You can't get a good revolver for $250. Sorry.

maverick 88 pump sounds like a good option, you mentioned that he does not like the idea of a magazine fed semi auto. so maybe the simplicity of a pump would be better. the fact is that you cant find a quality. 357 in that price range, perhaps used market .38 made by ruger or Smith. but Taurus is trash, and I would not want my dad protecting his life with one.

My taurus 85 works flawlessly. Sorry.

Windicator .38's are $350. Tell him to get an old S&W because that's the only revolver you can get for 350 that isn't crap. Or get any of the 30 semi-autos in 9mm at that price. If you want a piss-cheap HD weapon you get a shotgun.

Im assuming he means just not wanting to over spend on frivolous gucci and just wants something that works reliably but doesnt know where that price starts?
the poverty tier revolvers are known for having bad timing issues, locking up when trying to cycle to next round, and not being able to take the same pressures.
mid-tier revolvers like the ruger you posted are kind of the default safe option for 357.

I thought gp100 are closer to $650? some places over charge
If hes okay with 38spc the price can go down a lot

also check cylinder gap. easiest way is to stick a piece of paper between the throat and cylinder. If something as thick as a business card passes through it's fucked. Try to find a gap under 0.005".

>when you cant afford ammunition to test that theory
how this conclusion is met.
never buy taurus

You dont own a single firearm

Unless he gets a good deal, there's no .357 revolver worth shit at that price. If he bumps to ~$450, a used Smith or ruger from a pawn shop would work. "Budget" and "revolver" shouldn't really be in the same sentence.

EAA Windicator. It's a brick.

Seriously, tell your dad to just save up. Fuck his cheapness, who cheaps out on safety gear?.

false but I believe you paid for a taurus lol

Do you not have a glock or something common to show him how easy a modern striker is to manipulate?
No safeties, if hes a safety weirdo just leave chamber empty, field strip it to show him theres 3 parts that come out (barrel, spring, slide), and you get 15+ rounds on tap.
Make him shoot a pistol at 20 yards and when he realizes how shit he is (assuming unpracticed and bad form [correct him afterwards ofc]) he'll want capacity. Thats what I did for my dad and it worked although now he wants a 10mm glock but openly stated hed rather have a high capacity auto even in 9mm which is something I never thought Id hear.

At least I own a gun lol

Attached: 20170322_135237-1.jpg (2448x1377, 457K)

Horseshit. .357 Windicators are around 325 new. I bought one a few years back for 230+tax on sale.

OP you need to convince him to get a shotgun. For one shooting a short barrel revolver is something you have to get used to through practice and two a shotgun is going to be a whole lot more effective. Also, if you're trying to shill his inner Jew mention that .357 is around 30+ USD for a box of 50 rounds of decent defense ammo. Shotgun ammunition is a fuckton cheaper.

>check the loading gate
>check the trigger both single and double
>check the cylinder spin
>check the pin/striker some models use a hammer with a striking pin on the hammer
>check the rifling
>check the unloading mechanism
>check the ammo fit
>check the sights
>check for rust

then determine if it is fixable.

a bent gate is bad and not fixable, a broken striking pin is replacable, worn rifling may be replacable, but you would need a gun smith to either recut or replace the barrel.

nice airsoft gun, kiddo

Attached: E5E9A9A8-D844-4618-8032-C2EEAD9A9365.png (680x385, 264K)

You’re gonna have to convince him. It’s not 1982 anymore, $250 doesn’t go very far for if he wants a revolver he can trust. I get being cheap. I’m cheap as fuck. But I value my life enough to know that I’m gonna need to spend a little more than that if I want a .357 revolver I can trust my life to

Get a used model 10

>poorfag has limited funds
>spends it on fucking trash
>repeat ad nauseam
>poorfag stays in perpetual state of trash
Like clockwork

>$250 or under
A rock, you aren't affording a gun with that kind of budget

honestly this seems like a great answer. cheap to buy, cheap to feed, perfectly usable (indeed easier to shoot accurately than a revolver), not too many moving parts, 100% fudd approved (muh pump noise), etc.

is this bait?

You must be retarded.

Thank you for not being a cunt and giving advice

EAA Windicator

Check out SW Model 10s, it's .38 doubtful he'll find a .357 for under $250 that's a low budget. Used M10s start online for around that price range I believe

Believe it or not, he owns a shotgun. But he wants something he can keep on him at all times.

No

Just get the 605 man. Don't listen to these retards. You can get the non polymer version that has a normal hammer and shit. I got mine for 280 and it has never failed in a few thousand rounds.

Im that guy and forgot about the windicators other anons are mentioning. Take a look at them, Ive only heard good things other than them being rougher around the edges and a little stiffer trigger but safe and solid.
Compare prices to budsgunshop to know how hard youre getting ripped off.

>.357 wheelgat at $250
at least be reasonable with your price point

NEW
Okay, so what about $300-$350? I understand that it would be hard to find a decent revolver for $200. So what do you guys know of anything else?

Attached: A75657D0-3635-4C1A-8CDC-B0447B059B90.jpg (1020x1024, 85K)

i think we have told you the options.
windicator in 357.
i think ria had a 38 revolver that wasnt to bad either.
but cheep revolvers are prob going to be shit.
revolvers are more complicated than they look.

this, Ive heard RIA was alright too but Ive never known anybody with one and it's 38spc only

lmao this thread is still going. No. You cannot buy a new revolver that isn't complete trash for less than $500. Those are the facts, son of Shekelberg.

They're .38 only because they're made of potmetal.

Okay! I guess that’s everything. I’m surprised this thread lasted so long. Thanks to all the advice. And thanks to all the insufferable cunts that made me chuckle. We’ll see what happens later on down the road. I might even make an update for the 0 people that care. Thanks for everything!

Attached: DB998456-324D-42D5-8130-9BF96B569F68.jpg (600x315, 12K)

Get a Ruger

Unless your Dad is carrying a fucking Luger no stinky pig is gonna snatch it from the evidence locker.

Also, revolvers cost more than semi autos. You can get a good semiauto for 250-350 or a shitty revolver. Tell your fat boomer jew dad if he actually wants to depend on something for his life he should fork over the cash to get something not made in fucking Brazil.

youtube.com/watch?v=TnCOnQtgmWA

Then teach him how to use a semi auto pistol. It's not that fucking hard

What Dallas range do you like? I usually go to bullet trap in Plano, but they're faggots that don't let you stand when shooting a rifle, not rapid firing.

If you're looking for a range, go to Pasadena gun center. You can rent machine guns and shit, and they're not constantly looking over your shoulder. You can rapid fire all you want.

Carter's Country might have a store near you; I would recommend checking their used gun cases, as sometimes they have screaming deals

t. Clear Lake

Anyone intimidated by the mechanics of a semi auto pistol shouldn't even be allowed to drive.

Attached: most-common-types-of-vaginal-infections.jpg (800x528, 40K)

I have a new manufacture steel frame 605; they're not bad, but the trigger isn't the best and you REALLY should go loctite the screw that holds the cylinder in (screw on right side of gun, can't miss it, but be careful it's a tiny multipart ASSEMBLY with easily lost parts). I carry mine, it works fine, but they really prefer .357 over .38, in regards to accuracy.

UPDATE
My dad has been now looking at a Taurus 627 tracker .357 and I know everyone is just gonna say it’s junk. But I thought you might want to know.

Attached: BFD92EC0-2FA5-44FE-A772-7C9EE4F613DA.jpg (1000x700, 80K)

If you want it to explode and take his hand off and maybe his eyes then let him buy it

>You cannot buy a new revolver that isn't complete trash for less than $500.

um...Airweight J-Frames and LCRs are less than $500....

Is that supposed to be a refutation?

btw the retard user screeching about Taurus is on some 2003 shit; they're not even close to the best but have been doing quite a lot to clean up their act since 2015, because they really were that bad for quite a while. That being said, a used S&W revolver would probably be for the best, if you can find one, and literally any duty sized, name brand, automatic would be better, easier to use, and cheaper to shoot while probably being cheaper

Fuck off with the blog posts, tripfaggot. Your father is of the Jews.

your dad is a faggot

>you’re stupid get a 9MM
nah, if pops want a wheel gun he should, it's simple and easy to understand for normies. The capacity cant be beat with a 9 but 357 is far superior, ask any handgun hunter, you problem is price. A used Ruger is better than a new Taurus

>tripfaggotry
>doesn't know what double action means

Attached: images.png (224x225, 5K)

Buy used, buy blued.

Fucking idiot nigger.

>he thinks his taurus is a quality piece.

if he can spare more dough, that'd be ideal
>Ruger GP100
>used S&W 686

No guns cope

then he doesn't want a .357 revolver.

He never said it's a quality piece you double digit IQ nigger, just that it works. A buddy of mine has a taurus revolver he always takes to the range when we go together. Years of going shooting with him and it's never malfunctioned. Really making me think about buying one just to add to my revolver collection.

he's really gonna have to spend twice that for anything decent in .357

if he was lucky he might be able to get a .38 for that price.
if he absolutely can't go above $250, he's gonna have to get a low end auto if he doesn't want to risk the timing going out and amputating his hand.

>the solution to being poor is to buy a $500 revolver instead of a $250 revolver

>buying a $250 shit revolver NOW instead of just waiting a little bit