I’m looking at getting a Thompson 45-70 as my deer/black bear rifle

I’m looking at getting a Thompson 45-70 as my deer/black bear rifle.

Is 45-70 good enough for the job? With irons what would its effective range be? Is the T/C a good choice or should I get a marlin stainless 1897?

Attached: AC411C98-7D88-4926-AE51-7422DB76BBF2.jpg (1200x800, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cheaperthandirt.com/product/cva-scout-v2-45-70-govt-22-fluted-barrel-muzzle-brake-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-043125948062.do?utm_source=slickguns&utm_medium=wikiarmsgunengine
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Is 45-70 good enough for the job?
Yes. More than enough.

>With irons what would its effective range be?
200m.

>Is the T/C a good choice or should I get a marlin stainless 1897?
Sure it is. Just carry a pistol as well in case you need more shots.

>200m

Jesus I thought it was 100 max before you have to start aiming half a foot high

A big pistol. Normally, huge fuckoff pistols are retarded but you do not play around with bear.

Nah, it's a rifle not a shotgun. It does drop like a rock though. Zero for 200m (with the load you will be shooting innafield!!!) and it will hit where you point. I wouldn't shoot far beyond that distance without a ladder sight however.

>is a rifle that was designed for hunting Americas largest game and Puerto Ricans and is now used for grizzly bears the size of economy cars enough for me to take out some small deer and bears?

I mean.. it will work I guess. Maybe opt for something bigger if you can?

Idk for some reason I’m not super confident in the contender

Yes

>huge fuckoff pistols are retarded
The only retarded thing about 357 an 44mag pistols is your post. Try weaning yourself off the Ritalin and back into attending school.

There is not a creature on God's green earth that can withstand 45-70.

Think again sweaty

Attached: nzl80202220630.grid-6x2.jpg (474x344, 23K)

extra dimensional krakens do not count.

Any 45-70 that doesn't have a lever on it is a sin

he said "green earth" you big nerd L2post

>What is a Trapdoor rifle

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-08-12-02-02-1.png (1366x1142, 282K)

Kthulu is exempted

Why not? Contenders are famous for being reliable and hella accurate. You will lose some power compared to a rifle but it's still plenty powerful for your needs.

Mate, heavy and hot loads of 30-30 are good enough for a black bear unless you happen to be in melee range. I'd rather get a lever gun in 30-30 and have more rounds on tap than a single shot in 45-70

What about a lever gun in 45-70?

Old men use 45-70 on white tail. Old men don't like to track deer through the swamp. 45-70 is pretty damn accurate if you use consistent ammo. You can even lob it like a howitzer.

Make sure you have at least two shots in the magazine. Lever action maybe. Black bears are not very tough, but you never fuck with the bear. If we talking grizzly I'd stick no less than 30.06. No less than two guatanyeed shots. Again, you dont fuck with the bear.

*guaranteed shots, sorry.

With 350grn tipped hp your good for 250-275 as well

Well the specific model is the Katahdin

sounds like a light rifle in a big cartridge that will be painful on both ends. Kind of takes the fun out to me, do they make muzzle brakes?

No but I know CVA puts out a similar rifle with a brake cheaperthandirt.com/product/cva-scout-v2-45-70-govt-22-fluted-barrel-muzzle-brake-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-043125948062.do?utm_source=slickguns&utm_medium=wikiarmsgunengine

>someone shot and killed a sperm whale with a .45-70
Pretty sure your squid isn't immune.

user what the fuck? People have killed elephents with 45-70.

The only thing to keep in mind is that 45-70 was originally a black powder round, so there are commercial rounds that range from black power equivalent at around 1700ft-lbs to big boy commercial rounds like Underwood and Buffalo bore that are 3700+ft-lbs. That break action is pretty though and some people hand load to 4000+ft-lbs.

Get an Encore then. Motherfuckers have chambered them in .600 Nitro.

>is .45-70 good enough for the job?
only if you wanna end up as deer/bear food. if you use anything less than .458 win mag you're just gonna make 'em mad.

what fuck off really?
Only ask because Im reading moby dick

Supposedly. Don't know the scenario though, for all I know someone capped a juvie that was already halfway up the ramp of a whaling ship. But the round certainly is capable of enough penetration.

Don't you diss my Rolling Block

Attached: Rolling Blocks make hard cocks.jpg (1024x507, 50K)

Calm yourself. I'm pretty sure they weren't the pistols he was talking about. 357 and 44 are nowhere near as "huge fuckoff" as Magnum Research BFRs and S&W 500s.

Attached: BFR 45-70.jpg (1200x421, 72K)