/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

short, fat, and lazy edition

>>LYING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = BIG YES
>>LEEING ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = THEY KNOW

>Do your own research to start, then come here for clarification.
>No vague questions, like "What job is best?"

>discord.gg/hmnCCTb
>/meg/ official discord

pastebin.com/0K6MFcUZ
Guides to prepare for high-speed shit. (SEAL, Ranger etc.)

Resources:
Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff.

uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

airwarriors.com/community/
>Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
>pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke?
Maybe.
i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, long work hours, with good job prospects. It's definitely not for everyone or even most people in general.

CG info
>gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman/required-knowledge

ASVAB for Dummys
mega.nz/#!XuhSWQgb!ycwEyBz1J-DZx_GOsAxmSQCduAImNuzTRswqfRb-x-w

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING CLEARANCE QUESTIONS
opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

local.theonion.com/military-recruiter-fondly-recalls-when-he-was-just-a-na-1833605406
apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a269818.pdf
news.clearancejobs.com/2017/05/24/new-dual-citizenship-guideline-security-clearance-eligibility/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PREVIOUS THREAD

when is the next war so I can get a mental health waiver during t he recruiting surge

do they take your heart rate at reception? i get super nervous in clinic/hospital settings

Checked. Last I remember is that they check your blood pressure if no one else is occupying that station at MEPS. But for Reception proper? No, I think they'll start when you reach the Medical lobby.

really? the exact opposite happens to me

Wow! That's so interesting! Let me share something about myself now!

Well go one. Tell user what you have to say about yourself.

ok well im gay just so you know

How bad do you get yelled at at Parris Island?
Do you come out of boot camp with enough money for a down payment on a new car? I have $250 saved up already from working at Lowe's

Attached: 1552621999198.png (1039x1193, 2.27M)

this is bait

How often do you get to play fortnite at boot camp?

What are the chances of getting into the WOFT program as a foreigner (Philippines) with a PPL?

Attached: 1552021327273.jpg (480x588, 93K)

what?

I never told anyone but my best friend this, but I had incest with my sister when I was in 7th grade (she was in HS). Will this be a problem for me if I try to join the army?

only if you don't share the video with your recruiter and his friends.

lmao no, if you tell your recruiter that then he will look at you like you're a retard and tell you to never tell anyone that ever again. The only reason you should mention this is if you've ever had therapy or counseling for it (I'm assuming you didn't)

Can I get braces while in service?

local.theonion.com/military-recruiter-fondly-recalls-when-he-was-just-a-na-1833605406
kek

Degens like you would fit better in the Navy

that's gays potato

Navy is mainly for open gays, and Marines is for closeted gays. But the Navy is for all matter of broad spectrum degeneracy that doesn't fit in the other branches, like furries.

Air Force is weebs and Army gets drunk and bangs fatties.

>read news articles about that documentary Combat Obscure or whatever the fuck
>wow Combat isn't romantic and the marines aren't shining paragons of virtue this is so fucked up
>examples they use to showcase just how "fucked up" war really is, is shit like marines talking about how bored they are and marines making jokes over dead goatfuckers
who even thought that marines in combat were some romantic bullshit? What did they expect?

what's the medical lobby

Watch "Kill team" really good documentary on the frustrations and reality of the war in Afghanistan.

which army mos guarantees i wont ever be looking at a fucking screen or sitting on a computer at all for the entire period of my enlistment?

>need to be nominated by a congressman to go to West Point
Is it fucking autism? Are all our generals the kids of well connected parents?

t. seething 19 y/o ROTC

Infantry.

>He says as he's sitting at a computer looking at a screen
>Trying to sit less at a computer and look less at screens
11B will do

I hate getting my face underwater. Should I avoid the marines/navy, or do they not actually do any swimming?

If I did some criminal shit as a minor and the records were sealed will it show up on a security clearance check?

If I tried to kill myself and was sent to the hospital but I wasn't committed and they let me go will it show up on a clearance check?

Literally every fucking job in the army will have you sitting in front of a screen clicking through slides about tranny awareness nowadays

>i tried to kill myself
the fuck

Every single representative holds interviews every year and across the board it's easier to get a nomination than to actually get admitted to the academy.

plan on joining the army soon. i have a few obstacles to get over and a couple of hoops to jump through. its a narrow shot but i have to try.
we're all going to make it bros good luck

Attached: 1534885743785.jpg (750x1000, 83K)

Realistically will we see some form of space marines or orbital deployment in our lifetimes?

tfw leave in two weeks and still can't run/push ups for shit ayyyy

Merchant marine > navy > uscg

Attached: Merchant-Marine-Flags-2.png (324x216, 14K)

Is that a yes or no?

you literally made a thread asking this

which pog job can I do for 3 years or less

this is a military thread

>Get any POG job
>Topple a vending machine on yourself after tech school
>Medically discharge under honorable conditions
Congratulations

I had a 2 1/2 year active contract as 35S before I quit basic

You should do a lil research buddy :)

Attached: 11e8zh.jpg (500x327, 19K)

Bro theres like 500 of them

17C

>Double rations for skeles in basic
Please tell me they at least taste good

Attached: piza kat.png (370x370, 121K)

they do

>be me
>be enlistedfag in army
>have autism level line scores
>have an unusual ERB
>get call from some captain at west point asking me if I want to go to west point
>tell him to fuck off because I think it's a scam
>get yelled at by my commander the next day because I told a captain to fuck off
Apparently West Point has to keep a certain number of slots open for enlisted fags so you could enlist and then apply for west point as soon as possible, if you aren't a piece of shit you could get it no problem.

Post line scores

Attached: erb.jpg (3506x2550, 1.35M)

Mine are pretty similar, so I hope something cool like that happens to me.

Attached: hope.gif (500x525, 1.97M)

I also had the space badge by then and had neato shit done by then

I don't get how the standard non scores are supposed to work. My highest is 83 on EI and 74 on AS, which is supposedly incredible according to the people at MEPS but if they're percentiles wouldn't that only put me in the 83 and 74th percentile for each which really isn't that super fantastic?

Standard asvab scores* Not sure where I got non.

My unit's going to JRTC

How can I sham during it?

Depends on your MOS and what kind of unit. Ideally you're in a humvee that breaks down in the middle of buttfuck nowhere and your unit has you "guard" it for like a week with some other dude

The total ASVAB is a percentile and goes up to 99, the line scores are not percentiles. 83 and 74 aren't really that impressive as the max is apparently 150 but anything over 140 is almost unheard of.

If the max scores are 150 and my composite score for electrical in the army is 143 and mechanical is 147, then why is my AFQT percentile so high at 96? Do people generally score really that low on the standard scores? I'm really curious what math they use to compute scores and the rationality behind it.

If the max scores for standard scores is 150, not composite score, I mean.

Short answer is nobody really knows the rational behind all of it. There is a reg that governs it, I took a look at it once but it was awhile ago and I forgot which one it is.

>Do people generally score really that low on the standard scores?
Yeah. Oh yeah. A lot of support guys like cooks, admin, mechanics, etc are fucking retarded. As much as I love to give the infantry shit for being dumb, they outshine some of these other dicklicker abortion survivors that manage to sit in the rear.

I'm not really trying to shit one people who get lower standard scores, I'm more just somewhat confused why the standard score range goes from 0-150 when most people apparently get around 50 and I haven't ever seen anyone get above 90.

Like I said there's some weird math behind it and it's in the regs if you care to search for those

I'm going to be doing SMP in ROTC for a Masters degree. I want to become an 11A. What would be the best MOS for me to go for in the SMP if this is my goal? I'm thinking mostly in terms of which AIT prepares me the most for things an 11A should know.

Guard is LARPing and all an 11A needs to know is how to do landnav and sign paperwork. IBOLC would teach you anything you need.

Is there not an AIT that would give me a leg up on landnav?

Land nav is so easy. No AIT focuses on it because they teach it in basic

In that case, what should my criteria be for choosing an MOS?

Depends on what you like but I'd stay away from stuff like 92G, 42A, 31 anything, etc.

Intel is always rad but the AIT can be long.

Jesus Christ I've been freaking out over nothing. I have MEPS coming up and i thought line scores were a percentile but now I realize I'm gonna be fine.

According to: apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a269818.pdf the max isn't 150. Admittedly it's from 1993 though. The test is designed so the average is 50 and 10 above or below 50 is a standard deviation. So a standard score of 60 puts you above 68.2% of people who took the test, a standard score of 70 puts you above 95.4% of people who took the test, and a standard score of 80 puts you above 97.5% of people who took the test. 150 is the max for composite or line scores in the army, though.

Army line scores are composites. And the max for that is 150. There's definitely a recent doc somewhere in the army regs though. I don't recall what AR it is but people brought it up when there was that whole thing with wuggy faking his asvab scores.

Yeah but I wasn't talking about line scores or composites, I was talking about standard scores that are used to make composites. There's admittedly literally no point at all in caring about standard scores as no one looks at them, line scores are what they look at like you say.

Ok yeah those scores are different but they will literally never come up in your career

Pretty much what I was told, but was curious anyway just to know for no real practical reason. It's not as if it matters.

Semi-related, I know you guys consider it "pogue" but 17C is pretty much off the table for a permanent resident cause of clearance issues right?

t. Leaf with computer science degree and strong hobbyist interest in security, been doing CTFs for fun and cramming NOPs into buffers for years. Want to transition into security from a software dev job and figure military would be more fun and interesting than industry.

>space badge
fuckin nerd

not true. 13F AIT, and as an MOS in general has a good portion focused on land nav.

Front desk, lots of chairs to wait your turn in, you begin to feel the atmosphere of despair, boredom, and hatred. It smells of 1980's beige office and cleaning chemicals.

>I'm a shitbag, will they find out?
Depends. General guideline is if you had to get fingerprints, it's on record. Stuff like traffic tickets don't really show up.
>actually tried to kys
If it's in a national database, then yes. If it was just a hospital visit, then no.

Fren, you need a new flag there. What is up with that letter spacing? Also dubby quadroons.

Attached: 07women_CA2-popup.jpg (650x415, 116K)

Prepare for rape. Opfor is waiting for you.

>I don't get how the standard non scores are supposed to work.
Alright, let's fix that. Percentiles are not linear. They are based off of the the normal distribution of a bell curve. Subtests are graded on this percentile, from 20-80, or bottom 0.13% of scorers and outperforms 99.87% respectively.

>83 EI
You score better than 99.95% of the 2004 Control Group*.
Electronics Information is easy to score over 80 on. Most people probably don't know anything beyond replacing batteries and pressing a power button.
>74 AS
You score better than 99.18% of the 2004 Control Group*.
Fucking outstanding. Assembling Objects made me want to tear my hair out.

>83 and 74 aren't really that impressive as the max is apparently 150 but anything over 140 is almost unheard of
Subtest and line scores are completely different. Subtests are percentiles while line scores are calculated from various scores. Subtests typically max out at 80 but it is possible to score higher. Line scores typically max out at 150 but it's possible to score higher. Computer based ASVABs do give a two or three point curve for some unknown reason, probably because it's adaptive. If you do everything right, its difficulty maxes out at 10th grade, 2nd month. If you fuck up, it makes future problems easier.

>If the max scores are 150 and my composite score for electrical in the army is 143 and mechanical is 147, then why is my AFQT percentile so high at 96?
Your AFQT is scored based on your AR, MK, PC, and WK subtest scores and a calculated VE score. AFQT tests for eligibility to serve and also serves as a basic IQ approximation, mainly to see if your general reasoning skills are pretty good. General approximation of your IQ tests at 125-129.
>EL 147
Outstanding score, typical cap is around 150.
>MM 147
Outstanding score, typical cap is around 150.

>Footnotes
*The ASVAB has a control group to score against. Your score is compared to the kids who took the ASVAB back in 2004.

>Assembling Objects made me want to tear my hair out.
*Auto and Shop. Damn I'm retarded today.

Shit, thanks. That clears up a lot. AO was pretty fucking cancerous, especially considering if I tried to think about the answer for more than 40 seconds the computer said "YOU APPEAR TO BE HAVING TROUBLE. PUT YOUR HANDS UP AND ASK FOR THE INSTRUCTOR TO UNLOCK THE PC" or something like that.

Np fren. You have nothing to worry about ASVAB-wise. Assuming all your other scores are good, you qualify for everything, and maybe you'll get a nice bonus on top of that, but no guarantees.

>AO was pretty fucking cancerous
To date, I believe that there is no practice resource available in print or online that truly simulates how awful that test was when it came to assembling shapes. It's important for some jobs where people fix stuff (Mech or E.Tech). Some rates in the Navy use it but the Army and Air Force don't for MOS selection.

Have an LP shunt to treat IIH.
I got it 10 years ago and has given me zero issues but is there any hope of getting a waiver for this?
Would my chances be better if I got it removed?
I have visibles surgical scars too so I doubt its something I can lie about to sneak on through

>taste good
no time for tasting recruit, now get chewing

Hey fellas,

Fiancee enlisting in the Navy, originally was gonna go Air Force and had it all sorted out until her dad (formed Navy chief, served 20 years) talked her out of it and made her enlist in the Navy, but its what she wants so idc.

Any jobs that arent grunt work but aren't necessarily engineering that anyone here can recommend? Went through the site, saw a few, would like some actual insight from serving people though.

I did it.
I signed the line.
National Guard 68W
How bad did I fuck up?

You can enlist although I don't know if you'd be able to get a 17C job with that level of clearance without citizenship. I don't think a 17C would allow LAAs instead of a clearance. If any foreign national could get one, though, it'd be a Canadian with no ties to any other country (i.e. not a Chinese "Canadian") and exceptional skills and squeaky clean record.

If you're going for American citizenship and are close to being able to apply, why not just wait? Why would you want to enlist instead of becoming an officer if you have a degree?

>National Guard
Now I must laugh at you

>space badge
I hate ADA so much

>why enlist
Because to be commissioned you have to renounce dual citizenship (as it should be)

You can get a TS clearance if you hold dual citizenship with a low-security risk country (probably Canada, UK, Australia, NZ only) apparently, but only if you're a dual citizen.

news.clearancejobs.com/2017/05/24/new-dual-citizenship-guideline-security-clearance-eligibility/

Serious I can lie about medical history? Can I just say I've never been to the doctor for anything?

Have been to mental hospital more than once but not in last 2 years

And Im not on any medications

Try to get ranger school. If you come to a line unit with a ranger tab you'll be decently prepared for the skills you need to have as an infantryman and your NCOs won't think you're as much of a college kid.