Shameless fanboy - Is the PPK a good gun?

So, I've loved the James Bond films ever since I was a kid. But, now that I have the disposable income for it, I'm looking at picking up a handgun. In all honesty, I want a good, small-caliber weapon for home defense, personal defense, and CCW. The PPK seems like it fits these things, and appeases my childish want to be Mr. Bond.

How is it as a choice for these things? Make fun if you like. I know the idea is silly :P

Attached: Walther_PPK-Black_RS_W.jpg (800x800, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3zwe9z_Xff8
youtube.com/watch?v=Dnj7Cqsh0Pk
youtube.com/watch?v=CoaiLOk8wsw
youtube.com/watch?v=4-T-Q5VRzfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tLygdcFFTVg
youtube.com/watch?v=4siqnqivngc
arkansasonline.com/news/2019/jan/13/arkansas-made-ppks-set-to-ship-20190113/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

not in that caliber you rudy poo bitch boi
also bakelite grips or bust bitch

Attached: walther.jpg (650x459, 42K)

Is money a factor? If so get a Bersa 380CC, it's better than the newer PPKs overall and far cheaper

If you want a reliable PPK, do your research and be prepared to pay for an older one

They've had multiple US manufacturers since 1968, some sucked, some were good

I was once concerned about this, but IRL 380 is as good as 9mm for self defense carry

>If you want a reliable PPK, do your research and be prepared to pay for an older one
Or just wait for a 2019 model to come available. You know, the ones that are being done entirely by Walther, instead of being licensed out to somebody else.

They're going to fuck it up with some goofball detail, I can already tell. Just like with the PPQ Tac models not having supressor height sights and having to ditch the rear sight to put on the RDS.

>Or just wait for a 2019 model to come available. You know, the ones that are being done entirely by Walther, instead of being licensed out to somebody else.
Huh? Haven't heard about this, have a good link?

How can Germany import a gun this size? So it's the S version?

>Or just wait for a 2019 model to come available
or buy 2 bersas and give one to your wife for the price of one ppk

The PPK is not even remotely a good gun, but it is a fun novelty.

youtube.com/watch?v=3zwe9z_Xff8
youtube.com/watch?v=Dnj7Cqsh0Pk
youtube.com/watch?v=CoaiLOk8wsw
youtube.com/watch?v=4-T-Q5VRzfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tLygdcFFTVg
youtube.com/watch?v=4siqnqivngc

Besides keeping the extended beaver tail and the better feed ramp they have changed nothing. You could, you know, try actually doing some research on it.

Slides are machined in Germany, then shipped to their Fort Smith factory. Walther is keeping it all in house for quality control.
arkansasonline.com/news/2019/jan/13/arkansas-made-ppks-set-to-ship-20190113/

thanks

You can get one of these for less than half the price and its in a better cartridge.

Attached: Ruger_LC9s_pro_(23399529714).jpg (2667x2000, 3.38M)

It looks really nice and high quality.

OP wants to know if the PPK is fit for his purpose. He did not ask what you prefer.

>goes bang every time
>not good
Okay zoomer

Now pay attention 007, the ppk is an old design, but perfectly viable with practice.

dilate

Assuming money is, what is a reasonable price to pay for one of these? Asking prices seem to vary considerably as far as I can tell.

Attached: 93f4176885a725fa832b5a116268704c.jpg (529x826, 40K)

Based Q poster

6 seems to be standard but I've seen 1,000 which is bullshit. It wasn't even in .32.

This man approves of your choice

Attached: gettyimages-652384168-640x640.jpg (640x360, 78K)

So does this one.

Attached: Elvis.jpg (567x741, 195K)

If you keep an eye out you can get one of the Interarms PPK/S pistols for 4-500 usually.

Don't get a Smith and Wesson one. They had all sorts of problems.

I have one of the S&W ones. It looks cool and is fun at the range but I would not trust it will my life. Occasional light strikes and FTE/FTF every hundred rounds or so. Wait and see if the new ones are better, get an old Interarms, or buy two Bersas and have two better guns for the same price.

Weighs 10oz more than G42 empty.

Mine keeps the safe safe I guess. Range toy now that I’ve done my own home grown ballistics testing.

Federal HST in .40, hornady in 9 and Winchester something in .45 all stopped in the 3rd gallon jug of water. .380 outta a ppks went thru all 4 jugs and we had to dig the unexpanded PDX1s and PMC Starfires outta the gravel behind.

Lack of velocity I guess.

>In all honesty, I want a good, small-caliber weapon for home defense, personal defense, and CCW. The PPK seems like it fits these things, and appeases my childish want to be Mr. Bond.
>How is it as a choice for these things?

It shoots bullets, so it can technically do what you want. The problem is that it's not very good at any of those things by modern standards. You are better off with a rifle for home defense, and the PPK is not ideal for either personal defense or CCW because it's in an anemic caliber and too large for anything except jacket pocket or IWB carry. Also, have you actually tried shooting a PPK before? The ones in .380 are unpleasant to shoot and all of them have horrendous DA trigger pulls.

Get a PPK only if you want to have a PPK specifically. On the other hand, if you want a useful and practical firearm you really, really want to look elsewhere.

They are cool guns, but not really a good home defense or CC piece, there are much better alternatives out there.
Neat range toy though.
t. 1966 PPK owner.

Attached: PPK.jpg (1920x1280, 1.02M)

go to a range that has a few of them for rent in different calibers and buy whichever one makes your lil bond james bond tingle

>extended beaver tail

Also 380 is a shit. Kicks like a snub 357 with none of the terminal effect out of a gun that weighs more than a glock.

Attached: 200.gif (300x200, 1.29M)

Ok, OP the short on this one is don't buy a PPK unless it's an old collectable or the one that is coming out this year. Everything in between is built cheap and ultimately built to fail.

>goes bang every time
You fucking wish.

>I want a good, small-caliber weapon for home defense, personal defense, and CCW. The PPK seems like it fits these things, and appeases my childish want to be Mr. Bond.

no it doesnt. get a 9mm glock if you are serious about any of your listed criteria

hell no, the king carried a .45 colt 1911 always

>I want a good, small-caliber weapon for home defense, personal defense

why do millennials have such a hard time differentiating between reality and tv/movies/games?

The King owned a silver PPK engraved with his name and "TCB."

>
based King taste.heres a good story:

Tom Jones was once left shocked when he found Elvis Presley’s gun in his dressing room lavatory. Jones struck up a close friendship with Elvis and they would often spend time together when they were in the same city on tour. But on one occasion, after Jones appeared at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas, he was stunned to find a silver-plated Colt .45 automatic pistol on his toilet cistern after Presley had used the bathroom.

Jones tried to discreetly hand it back, only to see Elvis shrug off the incident. He says, “I wrapped it up in this towel, took it out and said, very quietly, ‘Er, Elvis, you left your gun in the toilet.’ And Elvis just goes: ‘Aw s**t man, ma .45’, and stuck it in his belt. I was trying to be very discreet about the whole thing, but he couldn’t have cared less.”

Attached: 100_1788.jpg (800x533, 249K)

was he peak fudd?

Attached: 100_1790.jpg (800x533, 156K)

It's fine for CCW, although a bit heavy by modern standards. For home defense, something that hits harder is preferable (unless you live in an apartment, I'd probably suggest a shotgun, not a pistol, for that).

The main problem with it is that the .380 has excessive recoil due to the gun not really being designed for it. The original .32 doesn't have this problem, and thus tends to be preferred by serious shooters (it's also the authentic James Bond caliber, FYI), but some people (mostly in the U.S.) will tell you that its stopping power is doubtfully adequate. IMO, people tend to overestimate how much stopping power they really need: even the venerable .25 ACP can be perfectly adequate for typical CCW purposes (self-defense at close range). The people who think otherwise probably have delusions of being the "good guy with a gun" that takes down a heavily-armed would-be-mass-shooter, but that's like a 1-in-10,000 scenario.

Just learn to hold it correctly so you don't get bitten by the slide.

Charlie Chaplin?

missed by one
F

This. Americans often don't understand that cartridges with a diameter smaller than 9mm are perfectly viable. .32 ACP has been used during a century, mostly in the first half of the XXth century, as a military and police cartridge by all sorts of european countries - with success. It was also a very popular SD round back then. After the war, many police departments kept using this round and it is still used for example by some municipal PD in France as we speak. Many cash transportation agencies continued to use it. .32 ACP with ball ammo can achieve more than decent penetration in ballistic gel and in real life this little round DOES work. Noone should underestimate small caliber pistol rounds.

To come back to OP question, a .380 Walther PP is a viable choice for HD and CC. But as some anons said before me, it is a quite snappy round. The most reliable PPs out there are probably pre war german made models. Change their springs if needed and youll be good to go.
For SD, being comfortable with a gun is very important. A Glock 19 kept with a round in the chamber may seem like a better solution, but you don't like it and dont handle it as easily as you would with an other handgun, it may not be whats best for you.

Really the only time the ppk is an answer to something is if you want to larp as James Bond and you don’t want to buy another gun ever
It’s not a very good gun, it just has a stupid amount of advertising exposure

The us made ppk/s are unreliable as fuck, or I just had the misfortune of shooting three separate shitty ones
They were bulk box 22 levels of unreliable

Not really. It's heavy, bulky, has a bad trigger, and gross European ejection mechanism.

They are not good guns.
>a good, small-caliber weapon for home defense, personal defense, and CCW
don't do this. Don't buy an antiquated single stack .380 and try to use it to do everything. If you want to pretend to be a Bond then pretend to be one of the new ones that carries a P99.